Yay for Gaelic & Freeborn Minglings

The place for anything at all...
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Yay for Gaelic & Freeborn Minglings

Post by Ink »

I have no idea where to post this but I was actually wondering if it was just me or if the background changed on the Freeborn page -- Here.

I thought the edges didn't have writing on them so now I'm curious...

"Bean mo chroi" is on the page on the left (means 'Woman of my heart')

On the right is "Ni heolas go haontios" (this means "There is no knowledge without unity" or something to that extent).

I think it's cute -- but is it just me? Is it new? Or did I miss something completely?

This amuses me to no end for some strange reason...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Now that you mention it, I don't think it was always there. I think it is a recent thing. But, it is a very nice touch. :D

I love all things Irish. If there is going to be some sort of prevailing culture in the movie, I definitely think Irish is the way to go. (Unlike the OVERWHELMING number of werewolf artists who go with native). A slight hint of Irish culture in Freeborn would enhance the mood, I think (based, of course, on what my perceptions of the mood to be).
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

it has there when I joined in early august and it is on the desktop background versions as well
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

well, if that's the case, i.e.: with the gaelic being used on the front page, maybe we could play off that in the werewolf slang thread. i know a little gaelic, i looked up what i needed for my webcomic online.

fael=wolf
mag=paw, that of a wolf or other canine

i'll be sure to look some other stuff up if you guys would like me to. post a list for me and i'll look up the words for you.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

moon, silver, blood, howl...all the usual stuff that is typically associated with werewolves or canines.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

moon= re
silver= airgiod
blood= creoth
howl= burral

these weren't the only finds, but they fit the idea best. there are different words for different contexts, but in the context of a werewolf, these words would be about accurate.

and actually list the words, i can't guess all the words you are interested in.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

It's been there since June 14. I even translated it, much as you did.

See here, and a few posts down:
http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... 4829#14829

:lol:

-- Vilkacis
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Excelsia wrote:I love all things Irish. If there is going to be some sort of prevailing culture in the movie, I definitely think Irish is the way to go. (Unlike the OVERWHELMING number of werewolf artists who go with native). A slight hint of Irish culture in Freeborn would enhance the mood, I think (based, of course, on what my perceptions of the mood to be).
Drinking, drunken singing, drunken dancing, more drinking, passing out and then starting the party all over again?

...sorry ;) Being half-Irish at least, my relatives showed me what a real party is like. Heh.
"Weresharks? You idiot, there's no such thing as wereshaAAAGH OHGODMYLEG!"

Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

I have the overwhelming urge to go watch Boondock Saints...

:lovestruck:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

iolarnula wrote:
Excelsia wrote:I love all things Irish. If there is going to be some sort of prevailing culture in the movie, I definitely think Irish is the way to go. (Unlike the OVERWHELMING number of werewolf artists who go with native). A slight hint of Irish culture in Freeborn would enhance the mood, I think (based, of course, on what my perceptions of the mood to be).
Drinking, drunken singing, drunken dancing, more drinking, passing out and then starting the party all over again?

...sorry ;) Being half-Irish at least, my relatives showed me what a real party is like. Heh.
'Tis cool. I'm mostly Irish as well, with some German.

I think for Freeborn, it might be a good idea to leave out the drunkenness. :D
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Re: Yay for Gaelic & Freeborn Minglings

Post by Aki »

Ink wrote:I have no idea where to post this but I was actually wondering if it was just me or if the background changed on the Freeborn page -- Here.

I thought the edges didn't have writing on them so now I'm curious...

"Bean mo chroi" is on the page on the left (means 'Woman of my heart')

On the right is "Ni heolas go haontios" (this means "There is no knowledge without unity" or something to that extent).

I think it's cute -- but is it just me? Is it new? Or did I miss something completely?

This amuses me to no end for some strange reason...
ITs been there for awhile. I believe AB said the second (Ni heolas go haontios) was more towardss "You don't know someone until you live with them" or something. My memory's bad. But it's suiting for Freeborn (Just think of the guy saying it being Jack, then it fits. :wink: )
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Yay for Gaelic & Freeborn Minglings

Post by Ink »

Aki wrote: ITs been there for awhile. I believe AB said the second (Ni heolas go haontios) was more towardss "You don't know someone until you live with them" or something. My memory's bad. But it's suiting for Freeborn (Just think of the guy saying it being Jack, then it fits. :wink: )
Yeah. That's in there as one of the more loose definitions. It's a proverb/saying so technically it has some figurative standing. I guess in the end it's how you want to frame it.

It still amuses me. A lot. For no apparent reason...

I can't find my copy of Boondock Saints to satiate my lust for Irish boys with guns. Damn it.

:pissedoff:
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I have the Freeborn background on my laptop and thought the words looked Gaelic, but figured I was going dyslexic :lol: That is pretty cool though. My screen name on a different forum is "Faoladh Gaelige" which is supposed to be "Gaelic Werewolf" 8) Erin go Braugh! hwlwnk
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)