What are We Going to do When all Hell Breaks Loose?

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Terastas wrote:I agree that this forum is definitely, definitely going to become spam-ridden once Freeborn is due for release, especially when people actually go to the movie and see the Pack mentioned in the opening credits.
Maybe that's it? How about having The Pack mentioned in the end creds, instead of the opening creds?

It's usually the really dedicated movie people, who love the movie and respect the work put into it, who actually sit through the end creds. If The Pack's cred is buried somewhere between f-t-b and the crackerjack, we'll catch an altogether higher quality of werewolf/werewolf movie fan. Weed out the casuals, dorks and noobs that way.
ImageImageImageImage
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Even then it's going to get mentioned in the news blurbs. I figure though the work to find the place is going to filter most of the people out.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Yeah, the way I see it is the people who are just looking for a place to post their stupid comments will go for the easiest possible target (The official Freeborn forums) and then never return or just hang around and spam nonstop. Truly dedicated fans will find their way there. It kinda seems like we're condemming the Freeborn forums before they even exist though, but I guess that's why we have the pack
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Speaking as someone who joined in the last four months, I really don't think we can make any sweeping generalizations. One of the things I appreciate about this forum is that even though I'm relatively new, I still receive a reasonable amount of respect. I might not be from the Devoured days, but most of you judge me by my post content, and not my postcount, or join date. That's something really good that we have here.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what about a karma system? I'm sure most of you have seen them before; a + and - link next to each post where clicking either one will raise or lower that user's karma by one, and any given user can only do so once in a given time period (spontaneous idea-- maybe the higher karma you have, the shorter that period is? No giving yourself karma, of course.). I kinda like the sanctuary idea, and it might work best with this; while our theoretical intillegent new user would still take a little while to rack up the necessary karma, it would depend singly on post quality, which is, I think, a good thing.

I agree that Freeborn should have its own, completely seperate, forum. As others have said, that would probably keep away most of the noobs, link to here or not. We'd still probably find ourselves posting a link to it often enough, at least while Freeborn's in theatres, but it should help a lot, perhaps making the more advanced measures we've been discussing unnecessary. Not really much else to say on the subject.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ralith wrote: I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what about a karma system? I'm sure most of you have seen them before; a + and - link next to each post where clicking either one will raise or lower that user's karma by one, and any given user can only do so once in a given time period (spontaneous idea-- maybe the higher karma you have, the shorter that period is? No giving yourself karma, of course.). I kinda like the sanctuary idea, and it might work best with this; while our theoretical intillegent new user would still take a little while to rack up the necessary karma, it would depend singly on post quality, which is, I think, a good thing.

I like this idea.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im not shure if I like the Karma idea. :|
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

It has the potential to be abused; if, say, some noob gets a grudge and starts decreasing one person's karma every time they can. Here's an idea for countering that, though:
First, set up an anti-grudge filter or two; namely, don't allow more than two or three modifications of the same person's karma in the same direction by the same user. Also step up multi-account protection in case anyone gets really determined. Lastly, if a user is banned, undo all the modifications to everyone's karma done by him or her.
Sanity is relative.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

sounds like a good plan, but how hard would it be to implement?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

vrikasatma wrote:
Terastas wrote:I agree that this forum is definitely, definitely going to become spam-ridden once Freeborn is due for release, especially when people actually go to the movie and see the Pack mentioned in the opening credits.
Maybe that's it? How about having The Pack mentioned in the end creds, instead of the opening creds?

End credits? Nobody will know the Pack was involved with Freeborn. Who sticks around during the end credits?

Now, as for a seperate Freeborn forum, who is going to help maintain it? Me? Or someone else? It doesn't really matter if its me or not. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for updates on this forum. I'm also doing a backup every 2-3 weeks.

Also...how does everybody want the look and feel of the Freeborn forum to be like? Something like this one? Or something totally different?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote: Also...how does everybody want the look and feel of the Freeborn forum to be like? Something like this one? Or something totally different?
I'd like for it to be reminiscent of the Freeborn homepage, personally.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Now, as for a seperate Freeborn forum, who is going to help maintain it? Me? Or someone else? It doesn't really matter if its me or not. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for updates on this forum. I'm also doing a backup every 2-3 weeks.

Also...how does everybody want the look and feel of the Freeborn forum to be like? Something like this one? Or something totally different?
If such an official Freeborn forum is made (and we don't even know if it will), it's very likely not going to be created, designed, or maintained by us. After all, we're supposed to remain a separate entity from Freeborn, so it doesn't really make sense for us to handle that kind of thing. If it's going to happen, let ABrownrigg deal with the details when it comes up.

We could make our own unofficial one, if we wanted to, but I wouldn't suggest it unless we plan on doing the same for every movie we assist. I think it's easy to see... that could end up being a lot of work.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:Now, as for a seperate Freeborn forum, who is going to help maintain it? Me? Or someone else? It doesn't really matter if its me or not. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for updates on this forum. I'm also doing a backup every 2-3 weeks.

If such an official Freeborn forum is made (and we don't even know if it will), it's very likely not going to be created, designed, or maintained by us. After all, we're supposed to remain a separate entity from Freeborn, so it doesn't really make sense for us to handle that kind of thing. If it's going to happen, let ABrownrigg deal with the details when it comes up.

We could make our own unofficial one, if we wanted to, but I wouldn't suggest it unless we plan on doing the same for every movie we assist. I think it's easy to see... that could end up being a lot of work.

-- Vilkacis

I'm not saying that we take control and do all the designing for it. All I know is that moderators will be needed after its done. In fact, we may need more moderators for this forum when more people joins up. AB may want someone to help out as an admin for the Freeborn forum. I don't think it will be one of us. It could be someone from his staff.

All what we can do is wait and see. Who knows where the Freeborn forum will be placed. It could be part of this domain or part of AB's personal domain.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vilkacis wrote:If such an official Freeborn forum is made (and we don't even know if it will), it's very likely not going to be created, designed, or maintained by us. After all, we're supposed to remain a separate entity from Freeborn, so it doesn't really make sense for us to handle that kind of thing. If it's going to happen, let ABrownrigg deal with the details when it comes up.
Agreed. And It would just be easier to set up a freeborn section on this forum anyway.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Vilkacis wrote:If such an official Freeborn forum is made (and we don't even know if it will), it's very likely not going to be created, designed, or maintained by us. After all, we're supposed to remain a separate entity from Freeborn, so it doesn't really make sense for us to handle that kind of thing. If it's going to happen, let ABrownrigg deal with the details when it comes up.
Agreed. And It would just be easier to set up a freeborn section on this forum anyway.

Its going to have to be a big Freeborn section.

wait...we already have a Freeborn section.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Figarou wrote:End credits? Nobody will know the Pack was involved with Freeborn. Who sticks around during the end credits?
I've observed an increasing number of people, usually older, that hang around and read the end creds. It's probably just a case of "birds of a feather," but a lot of the people I know do the same (I always have). Younger viewers are taking up the practice because filmmakers at random are rewarding the viewers with what's called a "crackerjack" — a little one-off shot or related footage to the main film — at the end of the end credits. Word got out, "Stick around, they do something cool at the very very end" so people wait to see if there's a crackerjack. Not every filmmaker does it so it's still enough of a gamble that people won't get jaded and leave anyway. It's a neat treat if the filmmaker does it, and if they don't and you stay — oh well, you now know the principle players who brought you the evening's entertainment :D

Semi-related side-note: The "Buddy/Ignore/Ban" feature I mentioned before would work better than a "Karma" system because the user and the Ignored poster are the only ones involved. You simply don't read the Ignored poster's posts and they don't know you're Ignoring them unless you tell them...or put two and two together when they launch a nasty flame at you and are met with resounding silence. :evil:
ImageImageImageImage
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Okay, if they do have our names at the end of the credits, will they be our real names or our pack names... sorry if this was answered before, if it was, could somone post the link to the answer?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Noa wrote:Okay, if they do have our names at the end of the credits, will they be our real names or our pack names... sorry if this was answered before, if it was, could somone post the link to the answer?

I don't think names are going to be mentioned. It will probably simply be something along the lines of "and a special thanks to The Pack". And, from what AB has said, it will actually be in the opening creds.

However, if AB does decide to mention names, he will probably use pack names, not real names. Furthermore, he'd have a tough time choosing who to mention. There are hundreds of people in the pack, I don't know how he would choose. I guess he could just do one screen full of names.
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Yeah, that's true. Well.. sorry for the waste of forum space then..
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Perhaps it oculd be taken from that top 200 list someone posted.

In all honesty, though, I don't see much point in anything past "and a special thanks to The Pack"
Sanity is relative.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

addiung in specific names on a forum is asking fro poeple to go, "omg? i'm teh 200th one? noooo!"
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Yeah, while it kinda would be neat to see my name in the credits, "thanks to the pack" would be good enough.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I just pretended that I just saw the movie, I'm pretty clueless, and Googled on "freeborn, the pack." It came up as the second hit. Fairly easy to find but could still be a noob-magnet.
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

After release it'd likely turn up reviews and about-pages, not to mention the Freeborn site itself. Also, in the opening credits, it'd likely be forgotten for the most part by the end.
Sanity is relative.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

vrikasatma wrote:
Figarou wrote:End credits? Nobody will know the Pack was involved with Freeborn. Who sticks around during the end credits?
I've observed an increasing number of people, usually older, that hang around and read the end creds.
That or they are just in no hurry to get up and leave. The old folks has a tough time getting up when they've been sitting there for almost 2 hours. I know. Because I'm having a hard time getting up with my bad back. :(

Noa wrote:Okay, if they do have our names at the end of the credits, will they be our real names or our pack names... sorry if this was answered before, if it was, could somone post the link to the answer?

No, it wont be our real names or Pack names. Its going to be the Pack symbol with "The Pack" below it.

Excelsia wrote:

I don't think names are going to be mentioned. It will probably simply be something along the lines of "and a special thanks to The Pack". And, from what AB has said, it will actually be in the opening creds.

Actually, its going to say..."In association with..." then you'll see the Pack logo with "The Pack" below it. Thats how it was with the convention version of the Freeborn trailer.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'm going with the Freeborn Forum suggestion. We'll encourage the people who are only interested in Freeborn to keep all their posts there. It may turn into a mountain spam, but atleast it won't be over here.

Other than that, I think we need to keep our faith in the power that is the moderators. We may need to have some more well-respected members volunteer to moderate though. I'd expect the Mods to then take care of excessive trolls and flamers, delete spam and repeat topics, and encourage to keep the great atmosphere that we have.

I personally don't think that we need to be doing anything big about the 'n00bs'. No Karma system, no ignoring other users, no sanctuary. I believe those suggestions would just create an 'Us vs. Them' mentality and wouldn't be very fair to potential new Pack Members. Though I want to by all means keep The Pack the way it is, I want to be fair to the other people who have just as much as a right to post here as us. We'll just need to ride it out and encourage others to use quality to their posts. (If we show them how posts should be, maybe they'll fallow?)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."