The place for anything at all...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Light-magic (beats biting...)

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I would call this a poor attempt at a glamor shift/glamor magick. I'd say the most you're gonna get out of this is some frustration and disappointment. Even if you do see something in the mirror it's not going to be real, that's the entire point of glamor. To be an illusion that temporarily fools the eye.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Well, sure it's not something concrete, but reality is perception, so if you enjoy it go for it. :shift:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Set wrote:I would call this a poor attempt at a glamor shift/glamor magick. I'd say the most you're gonna get out of this is some frustration and disappointment. Even if you do see something in the mirror it's not going to be real, that's the entire point of glamor. To be an illusion that temporarily fools the eye.
Not true. I did some research before posting this (and translating it into English), and the people who did this were actually very happy after they done it. I can't tell if it works for all people or not, but those people were surely not disappointed or frustated. But I guess that depends on the person.

And ofcourse, at the beginning its an illusion, but if you try long enough it might become reality. Sounds stupid? Then how do you explain how somebody wrote down a wish +- 15 times a day, and after a year became what he wished (filthy rich). Hence the expression 'be carefull what you wish for'. Coincidence? I believe not.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I would not reccomend trying anything like this.

The mind is a very fragile, and impressionable thing.

It is true that if you tried hard enough, you could convince yourself that you really ARE changing physically, but it would only be an illusion.

Breaking your hold on reality by forcing your mind to change it's self-perception to something other than what it is would be a horrible thing to do to yourself.

Once the damage is done, you would never feel right anymore. You would allways feel like a stranger in your own body, and the phantom sensations of having features that you wish you had would be a cruel, cruel tease.

Many Therians (as I understand it) experience this almost every day of thier lives, and though it may be an accepted part of who they are, I doubt even the most self-satisfied Therian would Reccomend doing this to yourself "on purpose".

As much as I would love to feel the sensation of it...purely for curiosities sake, this kind of thing (if it worked) sounds like it would have a more damaging and permanent effect than was it's intention. Even if you tried to "undo" it by doing the same thing in reverse, re-aligning yourself with your human body, the memory of a thing like this would be permanently burned into your mind.

In fact...back when I was still soul-searching to discover if I was a Therian myself,(which I had a strong suspicion of for several years), I attempted things like this while laying out in the woods in the moonlight, or just laying perfectly still in my Pitch-Dark bedroom to see if my mind would feel more compatable with another shape. I put serious effort and concentration into changing my bodies self perception and eventually, after many attempts, began to feel things. At those moments, the feeling was kind of cool, in a fantastic sort of way (even though I knew it was all just in my mind), but I was quite distraught to discover that this had lasting effects on the days following said attemts.

My teeth...my feet...my hands...my joints...my gut...and my spine all tingled and ached in odd spikes durring the evenings of the nights following, as I found my mind trying to find and feel things that I had convinced myself were there the night before. ...and it was NOT a Cool feeling. Eventually, I just had to ask, "MY GOD!...what have I been doing to myself?!"

Do not take mental manipulation Lightly.
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

True. But thats something you just have to realize before you attempt anything like this. I didn't place the warning for nothing.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Snark at me all you want, I'll just snark right back.

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:And ofcourse, at the beginning its an illusion, but if you try long enough it might become reality. Sounds stupid? Then how do you explain how somebody wrote down a wish +- 15 times a day, and after a year became what he wished (filthy rich). Hence the expression 'be carefull what you wish for'. Coincidence? I believe not.
The entire driving force behind magick is using thought and intention to make something become a "reality". It does, however have limits. One cannot manipulate the universe into something that defies its laws. Physical transformation is one of those things. Getting rich, however, is not.

Another thing about magick is one has to work for what they get. You can't just use a spell for good grades in school, not study and expect your spell to work. It doesn't happen that way. Ask any magick practitioner and they'll all tell you the same thing.
Vuldari wrote:I would not reccomend trying anything like this.

The mind is a very fragile, and impressionable thing.
I will take this time to echo Vuldari's warning about mind manipulation. Its effects are damaging at best. Sure, it might feel "cool" to have phantom wolf ears and a tail for awhile, but what about when they start to itch? Or when they prevent you from sitting properly because they ache if you're not in your chair the right way? What then? And when you start acting wolfish in public, what are you going to tell people, the very ones who don't like difference or change? It creates far more problems than you would think.

Attempting this with multiple creatures will mess you up even worse. You'll start to either feel like a chimera, not fitting in anywhere because you are so many things and yet none of what you seem, or your mind will go haywire and rapidly start to go through your attempted phenotypes at random and often inconvenient times. The sheer stress of this alone will cause you to have a complete and total breakdown if you're not careful. Not to mention all the urges, instincts, and seemingly real things that aren't actually there.

Take it from an old otherkin...if you value your health and sanity, you won't try this.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Snark at me all you want, I'll just snark right back.

Post by Morkulv »

Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

At least its more convincing then 90% of the reports you find on the internet.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

(Ignoring the claims of magic and physical shifting...)

There are some things your brain is amazingly good at. One of those things is ignoring stuff. Another is adapting, and another is learning.

The way the brain learns is pretty simple. The easiest way is to experience something vivid -- pain, joy, sorrow... Another way is association, connecting certain concepts in your mind. But simple repetition will do in a pinch.

Also, there are a number of ways to get your brain to enter a dream-like state, for example watching TV, drawing, or writing; even an uninterrupted day at work (or Pachinko) can get you into this state of 'flow.' Your mind is fairly receptive during those times.

Isn't it funny that this 'magic' happens to use every single one of these?

I have no doubt that with this technique you could achieve the attributed mental shifts, but you could just as easily use it to convince yourself that the world will end tomorrow, or that if you ever go out of the house you'll fly off the planet, or that you're Napoleon Bonaparte I.

When it comes down to it, what you are doing is learning to lie to yourself until you actually believe it. There's nothing healthy about that.

When someone else lies to you, you can compare what's in your head and in reality with what they're saying and decide what's true and what's not. But once you manage to convince yourself to ignore reality and change what's in your head... you've lost it. To one degree or another, you've defiled your mind to the point of unsoundness.

And if you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I'm a theiran my self and i do feel the shadow body parts almost constantly. This happened because of my exterme like of wolves, werewolves and my over whelming desire to become one and also the spiritual connection i have with wolves.

it took time and i feel more like a wolf than a human but in a way that not so distructive. doing that way is sure to f**k you up. Your telling you sub consious a lie about who you are.

The human brain is a very extrordinary part of the body. when you covince your brain that you're a wolf and the brain sees that the body is human. the brain actualy attemps to TF into a werewolf. It can't do that so you end up with the shadow body parts and the aches and pains of the body trying to match it view of its self.

Keep on doing it i bet you that you'll end up in the funny farm because the state had you commited after you were apperhended after you were vigorously humping your niebor's leg, and when you look in the mirror i bet you don't see your self any more but an illusion that you are indead a wolf manufactured by your brain after the abuse you made on it.
THE GAME

My Armory
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

*shakes head* Our methods, viewpoints, and outlooks on life may differ, but essentially we're all saying the same thing. This isn't good for you. No amount of convincing yourself it is is going to make it so. Try it if you feel you must, but you cannot blame us when it messes up your life.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I think that this stuff might have some uses that I could benefit from Not for any kind of mental animal shifts or anything (not interested), but I can think of plenty of things I'd like to 'trick' my braind and body into doing. Like getting a higher metabolism or hitting another growth spurt, for example. More than likely, there's a way it could be used for such purposes, but there's always the chance that my plan could backfire and go all monkey paw on me.

I dabble in self-hypnosis. Lately, I haven't really had any changes from it, but there was a time a couple years back when I definitely noticed benefits. I think this stuff is pretty much the same thing, only a little creepier.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Any tricks you play with your mind can backfire on you. For some people though it could also been an escape for them but they must be careful and know what they are getting into. Sometimes i even worry when i let myself experience my therian side. I am used to my phantom limbs and such by now but still i worry sometimes am i crazy? I certainly would not try to make this happen to myself. I love my therian side and would not be the same without it but i would never wish it on anyone its a little scary and un-nerving at times. Please if you attempt something like this realize what you are getting into the mind is a powerful place and if you make yourself think something for long enough it might just come to haunt you later.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

Mind is a powerful thing....

A thing, that should not be played with.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Heart of the Pack wrote:Mind is a powerful thing....

A thing, that should not be played with.
Heh...Mind-games. :duckiemind:

Ooooo...that gives me an idea!!

*heads to the Forum games section*
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Anubis wrote: Keep on doing it i bet you that you'll end up in the funny farm because the state had you commited after you were apperhended after you were vigorously humping your niebor's leg, and when you look in the mirror i bet you don't see your self any more but an illusion that you are indead a wolf manufactured by your brain after the abuse you made on it.
:lol:

I think if it happens to the right person, you won't end up in the funny farm. If somebody already has a fragile mind, the chance is bigger he'll probably go crazy.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:I think if it happens to the right person, you won't end up in the funny farm. If somebody already has a fragile mind, the chance is bigger he'll probably go crazy.
The problem with that is you never know how fragile your mind actually is until it's broken.