Hollywierd

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Hollywierd

Post by Anubis »

Hollywierd is getting wierder and wierder. they keep coaghing up the oddest films. post the oddest flicks you have seen.

heres mine OY! :roll:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein ... /trailer1/
THE GAME

My Armory
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That's the weirdest film you've ever seen? Hm. Clearly you aren't as big a sci-fi fan as I am. :grinp:

Immortel is the strangest movie I've ever seen. The stuff in the trailer is just the chip off the iceberg.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Weird, but beautiful. For some reason, you linked to another language version of the thing. I saw it in English, and it didn't look dubbed.

Oh, and you haven't seen weird until you've wandered around A-Kon at four in the morning. There's a lot of weird Anime during waking hours, but when you're sleep-deprived and in a daze, some titles really get interesting.

Some examples of some weirder Animes:

Macross Seven: a spin-off of Macross, which many Americans remember as the first third of Robotech. The protagonists duel using transformable jet / robots with giant guitars and amplifiers to duke it out in singing contests.

Final Fantasy Unlimited: title based on the Squaresoft series of games that have great visuals and no relationship to each other. Two children travel to an alternate universe in search for their scientist parents, who disappeared when two giant CGI monster thingies blew each other up. In their journeys, they meet a number of oddball characters, including the ubiquitous guy with a giant gun, who takes a solid three minutes to shoot the enemy at the end of the episode, who is kind enough to stay in the weapon's path while he rattles off a complicated activation sequence.

Excel Saga: I have no idea where to begin. Uh... The story opens with the lead character getting killed off, but the Universe intervenes and starts over. Two agents from ACROSS swear their loyalty to their leader, who plots to take over the world. Meanwhile, a starving family struggles to live day to day, while their father does construction work in Japan. An extraterrestrial force of overwhelmingly cute "Puchu" creatures must be stopped at all costs, and amidst all this a dog runs for his life. There's also an assassination attempt on the writer of the show.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Hahaha!! Good point, Scott.

And don't get me STARTED on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. :D

And THAT'S just the title, folks. (And the main character's name.)
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Kiba wrote:Hahaha!! Good point, Scott.

And don't get me STARTED on Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. :D

And THAT'S just the title, folks. (And the main character's name.)
i seen that show it some messed up s***!!
THE GAME

My Armory
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Weird, but beautiful. For some reason, you linked to another language version of the thing. I saw it in English, and it didn't look dubbed.
It was the only trailer I could find.

And you can't really call BoBoBo-Bo-Bo-BoBo weird because it's intentionally so. The whole thing is one great big parody.

BTW, did you see Felicity Huffman at the Golden Globes?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:Spirited Away
I didn't think Spirited Away was that odd, it made perfect sense to me. Though...I guess I can see where someone with little or no familiarity with Japanese youkai would be completely and totally confused by it.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:
Renorei wrote:Spirited Away
I didn't think Spirited Away was that odd, it made perfect sense to me. Though...I guess I can see where someone with little or no familiarity with Japanese youkai would be completely and totally confused by it.

It's not to say that I found it confusing...I understood what was going on and all. I just thought it was strange. I guess 'random' is more the word I'm looking for. All these weird things kept happening and all these weird creatures kept appearing...etc. But as far as youkai goes, you are correct in that I have little or no familiarity with that.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

It does tend to make more sense when you read a little about Japanese monsters and spirits. Odd things like in the movie are normal for those types of creatures.

My mother couldn't get past the baby being so big, so you're not the only one who thought it was a little random.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Set wrote:It does tend to make more sense when you read a little about Japanese monsters and spirits. Odd things like in the movie are normal for those types of creatures.
*nods* A lot of the creatures in Spirited Away are based on Japanese folklore and legend -- predominantly nature spirits, which populate the majority of Miyazaki's movies. If you thought Spirited Away was strange, it might be worth your while to rent Princess Mononoke or My Neighbor Totoro. They also have a plethora of unusual creatures in them, but they directly identify them as tree spirits, so it's easier to grasp. Spirited Away has pretty much the same things, but with the exception of identifying dragons as river spirits, the script pretty much assumes you understand what they are.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I've seen Princess Mononoke. I found it equally as strange as Spirited Away, but very enjoyable. I am not familiar with Neighbor Totoro, maybe I will check it out.