Werewolves and natural disasters

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Werewolves and natural disasters

Post by Figarou »

I was watching a show on the National Geographic Channel. It was about animals and their behavior before an earthquake.

Accroding to the show, we still don't understand what the animal is sensing before the earthquake strikes. But they do show odd behavior before the actual event. What are they sensing? Some scientists believe its the magnetic field being disrupted. They also said the moon plays a part in the magnetic disruption. Is that what the animal is sensing?

How about a werewolf? What type of behavior will he/she show? We all know the moon affects the werewolf. But in what way? Light from the moon? Moon's position? Moon's gravitational pull? What if the werewolf was in an area thats being disrupted? Will he know an earthquake is about to happen? Will he shift and start going mad? His sences are heightened, don't cha know.

Any ideas?
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Well, I doubt he'd notice anything unless already shifted, excepting our sight, our senses are piss poor, afterall. :P

And I think a WW would only notice the moon stuff if the WW is capable of being affected by the moon (like shifting with the full moon and such), or in any form but human.

etc.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think the werewolf would sence some thing, the werewolf is more animal than human.i think he would feel it in a all three forms
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

No Aki I have to agree with you, beast form or not, a werewolf is a werewolf, and hell sense stuff alot more than that of a human, true in wolf or Gestalt form he'll be able to make more accurate senses but I still think in human form they will be something like "Hey somethings not right here, somethings out of balance".
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My werewolves do indeed get jittery around natural disasters and have the overwhelming urge to get up and leave.

For that matter, they're better at seeing other paranormal phenomena, like ghosts. Being a werewolf is a weirdness magnet.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

They've already established that the moon's position/phase has little or nothing to do with seismic activity. Earthquakes happen in all phases. So it wouldn't be the moon.

My guess is, they'd be feeling the magnetic shifts and/or a crescendo of seismic activity underfoot. They'd also be more in tune with animals around them — prey, et alia — than humans would ordinarily be. Sort of like a canary in a coal mine.

Thinking back to the Loma Prieta 'quake in '89, I remember that minutes before the quake my borderline psycho ex snapped for no apparent reason and took off into a screaming fit, getting more irrational and violent until a couple minutes before the quake hit. I'm thinking that the mentally/emotionally unstable might be affected by impending earthquakes — anyone know if there's any data on that?
ImageImageImageImage
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

vrikasatma wrote:They've already established that the moon's position/phase has little or nothing to do with seismic activity. Earthquakes happen in all phases. So it wouldn't be the moon.

My guess is, they'd be feeling the magnetic shifts and/or a crescendo of seismic activity underfoot. They'd also be more in tune with animals around them — prey, et alia — than humans would ordinarily be. Sort of like a canary in a coal mine.

Thinking back to the Loma Prieta 'quake in '89, I remember that minutes before the quake my borderline psycho ex snapped for no apparent reason and took off into a screaming fit, getting more irrational and violent until a couple minutes before the quake hit. I'm thinking that the mentally/emotionally unstable might be affected by impending earthquakes — anyone know if there's any data on that?
It's not so much as the moon's position affecting seismic activity...
Like you said, an earthquake is going to happen irregardless of full moon, or new moon, and is going to happen due to stress at that particular region of the faultline.
Rather, it's more of the moon being affected by the posiition of the continents, in that, when the continents have been bunched up together, ala "supercontinent of Pangaea," and the moon winds up having its orbit altered (slightly).

And as far as I know, I've never heard of any studies concerning the correlation between psychotic episodes and earthquakes: I should know, my nerves get frazzled only after the "Big One" hits.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I would think a werewolf would know something is wrong even if they couldn't pinpoint what exactly. I think the difference in the magnitude in the feeling they had would differ in relation to what form they're in but they'd know anyway. I could see a human form were knowing something's wrong, and a were in gestalt or wolf forms feeling it more strongly and having a better idea of what is wrong.

It doesn't just have to be an earthquake either. Animals can sense more than just that. Anyone remember the tsunami in Asia? All the animals high tailed it away from the shoreline, they knew what was coming.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Set wrote:
It doesn't just have to be an earthquake either. Animals can sense more than just that. Anyone remember the tsunami in Asia? All the animals high tailed it away from the shoreline, they knew what was coming.

It was an earthquake at sea that caused the tsunami.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Yeah, but do animals normally run from the shore when earthquakes happen? (note- I do not actually know the answer to that)
Sanity is relative.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and post on th isone. The overwhelming consensus seems to be that WWs feels something in the case of a natual disaster, stronger depending on what form they are in.

Human, some inner sense of unease.
Gestalt - a knowledge that something is definitely wrong
Wolf - time to leave.

It stands to reaso to me.

Dogs are being used, more and more, to help epileptic people predict their episodes. Not ALL dogs seem to be able to tell such things, but it still supports the theory that canines know when there is about to be a problem.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The easiest explanation I could think of would be that most animals in the wild rely heavily on their senses of hearing, whereas humans in urban environments are more or less conditioned to tune out their surroundings. We tend to treat the feelings in the Earth beneath us with some disregard as well because more often than not their the result of modern-day living.

Something else that might be worth mentioning is that an animal wouldn't have to know it's an earthquake -- it would just need to be something unfamiliar, so they may react to an earthquake the same way they react to a Harley Davidson or somebody with his bass turned up the maximum. We as humans have come to recognize these sounds and come to tolerate them until they pass, but for animals, they are unfamiliar, and just the same with humans, what they don't know, they usually fear. The rule of thumb would simply be this: if you don't know what it is, it's to be treated with caution, and if it's loud and getting closer, drop everything and run like f--k.

A werewolf might have a harder time detecting anything unusual since he's been previously conditioned to civilized living, but he'd be more likely to detect it than an average human. Humans are capable of predicting weather patterns -- we can look at the sky and know if it's going to rain or not, but most people distrust their senses in favor of weathermen. It can be done; we just rarely try to.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
Something else that might be worth mentioning is that an animal wouldn't have to know it's an earthquake -- it would just need to be something unfamiliar, so they may react to an earthquake the same way they react to a Harley Davidson or somebody with his bass turned up the maximum.

Any sound no matter what it is can spook an animal. A gun shot in the woods will send the birds flying, deer running, ETC.

That example you gave can't compare to an earthquake.

Lets use that Harley example. A dog nearby will get spooked if it rides by. But will the dog 50 miles away get spooked by that Harley? Nope. That Harley is not producing enough low sound frequencies. (infrasound) Bass from a rap song might shake up your neighbors. But its not going to set off the Richters scale in the next county.

Humans are limited in thier hearing. We can't hear a dog whistle. (or can we?) :jester2: And we can't hear extremely low bass frequencies.

Read this.
http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/artic ... ature1.asp
Earth is an incredibly noisy place. Avalanches roar down mountains, volcanoes rumble, and hurricanes blast through coastal areas. And while there's a whole range of sounds that people can hear, there are also Earth sounds that are too low for the human ear to pick up.

Interesting, yes?

Those everyday sounds we hear like car horns, airplanes, loud music, ETC. can't compare to what we don't hear. (Earth sounds/infrasound)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Ralith wrote:Yeah, but do animals normally run from the shore when earthquakes happen?
No, no they don't.
Terastas wrote:Something else that might be worth mentioning is that an animal wouldn't have to know it's an earthquake -- it would just need to be something unfamiliar
Problem with that is the animals don't always react with fear to something strange. Not even prey animals like horses, rabbits, and deer. I'm surrounded by them so I get to see their behavior on a daily basis. The horses are nosy as hell so the first thing they usually do is look and wonder "What the heck is that?". Even the deer, who are famous for being skittish and timid, won't immediately run away from something they've never heard or seen before. Only when it actually starts coming towards them or gets too loud and shrill to listen to do they turn and run.
Figarou wrote:Humans are limited in thier hearing. We can't hear a dog whistle.
Humans do have crappy hearing, yeah. But I can hear a few of those "noiseless" dog whistles.
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

so can I but they userly dont work right.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's been proposed that dogs can smell some of the things we test for in the ER with blood labwork--that the dogs who sense someone's having a heart attack is smelling the same cardiac creatine kinase and myocardial troponin that one tests for in people with chest pain. A similar sense of other compounds may be involved in sensing seizures, or it may be back to reading subtle cues--why werewolves are killer poker players.

The weather sense may be a sense of pressure differences--low means bad. Humans with arthritis work this way--"my knee's acting up; must be a storm."

But, there could be something else. Paranormal investigators routinely report that dogs and cats can sense phenomena.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

They're saying that animals can smell cancer, too. Not just carnivores acting on age-old instincts, herbivores too. Both my cat and my horse could smell my cancer. My cat won't walk over my belly and when Tagie used to nuzzle me he'd investigate the site where it used to be and sniffed very long and carefully, then offer his neck for a hug. He periodically checks back to the surgery site on my belly to make sure it hasn't come back and does that to my portacath, too.

A couple years ago I was grooming a Lipizzaner stallion and he gently licked the same place as my growing (and yet undiagnosed) tumours were. It continues to astonish me how compassionate animals, especially the ones we share our lives with, really are. I never quite understood that Litany tenet in W:tA that states "Thou Shalt Not Suffer The Pack To Tend Thy Weakness:" wolves care for their own and so do humans (if the bloody lawyers stay out of it).
ImageImageImageImage
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Let's listen in on the thoughts of this Javanese Wiggie Mouse minutes before the tsunami hit.

"Where's all these humans going? Oh, look, the water is way out there. THat's really weird. Are they nuts? - standing around on the beach - that's too weird. I think I'll go this other way....."

But seriously, brains aren't digital computers - there are some similarities but they don't process binary digits. Instead, they process patterns. Because of that, they're very sensitive to minute changes in their perceptual fields. The problem is not noticing what needs to be noticed. Most higher mammal brains are plenty sensitive to pick up incredibly minute cues in their environment. The problem Humans have is that they filter so much out. So the island natives who filter very little recognized that something bad was coming and got out of harms way; but the "civilized blokes" who can't be bothered with minutae got wiped.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote: But will the dog 50 miles away get spooked by that Harley? Nope. That Harley is not producing enough low sound frequencies. (infrasound) Bass from a rap song might shake up your neighbors. But its not going to set off the Richters scale in the next county.
Not if it stays 50 miles away, but the closer it gets, the more the dog will be tempted to run.

Obviously there's a big difference between the way the Earth shakes when somebody has their bass cranked up and the way the Earth shakes durring an earthquake, but a 200-watt sound system a hundred yards a way and a Lv. 5 earthquake a hundred miles away may feel familiar. They still wouldn't know what it was either way, and for that reason would their attention be drawn to it. Then as it gets louder as it approaches, they take off.

The big difference between the two is in terms of time and distance, not how the animals will react to it. A noisy human will only spook his surroundings, an earthquake will spook the wildlife for miles.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Re: Werewolves and natural disasters

Post by Morkulv »

Figarou wrote:I was watching a show on the National Geographic Channel. It was about animals and their behavior before an earthquake.

Accroding to the show, we still don't understand what the animal is sensing before the earthquake strikes. But they do show odd behavior before the actual event. What are they sensing? Some scientists believe its the magnetic field being disrupted. They also said the moon plays a part in the magnetic disruption. Is that what the animal is sensing?

How about a werewolf? What type of behavior will he/she show? We all know the moon affects the werewolf. But in what way? Light from the moon? Moon's position? Moon's gravitational pull? What if the werewolf was in an area thats being disrupted? Will he know an earthquake is about to happen? Will he shift and start going mad? His sences are heightened, don't cha know.

Any ideas?
No, he wouldn't.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Set wrote:
Figarou wrote:Humans are limited in thier hearing. We can't hear a dog whistle.
Humans do have crappy hearing, yeah. But I can hear a few of those "noiseless" dog whistles.
Yeah, me 2. Really annoying. I keep saying it, but everyone says "you'r talking crap, you can't hear it". :roll:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: but a 200-watt sound system a hundred yards a way and a Lv. 5 earthquake a hundred miles away may feel familiar.
Nope.

If you want an earthquake from a sound system thats a hundred yards away, you need several 1000 watts and speakers that can take it.

A 200 watt sound system may feel like an earthquake if you're several feet away.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:That example you gave can't compare to an earthquake.

Lets use that Harley example. A dog nearby will get spooked if it rides by. But will the dog 50 miles away get spooked by that Harley? Nope. That Harley is not producing enough low sound frequencies. (infrasound) Bass from a rap song might shake up your neighbors. But its not going to set off the Richters scale in the next county.
No, but that's because a harley has nowhere near the amount of energy released in an earthquake. Nothing we can build currently does.
Last edited by Lupin on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Heck, a Harley driving by with its pipes going would spook *anyone*. Not to mention give you tinnitus.
ImageImageImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

vrikasatma wrote:Heck, a Harley driving by with its pipes going would spook *anyone*. Not to mention give you tinnitus.
Only when you are very close to it.

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:That example you gave can't compare to an earthquake.

No, but that's because a harley has nowhere near the amount of energy released in an earthquake. Nothing we can build currently does.

I thought I explained that, Lupin.