Voice

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should the voice of a werewolf change during TF?

Yes
80%
No
13%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%

Total votes: 87

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Scott Gardener wrote:Let's not get carried away with this. No Stirba, evil werewolf queen, blowing up people's eyeballs with a howl, or I'll have to go to Count Dooku and get the Holy Ear Plugs of Antioch. (Howling 2. If you don't get the joke, you're lucky!)
Yeah I know what you mean, and unfortantly I have howling 2. God forgive my soul for wanting to record the movie.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

Moon Daughter wrote:I don't think a transformed werewolf (like wolf form) should be able to speak human language at all. Maybe a series of grunts and growls that sound almost/barely like human speech, but no actual formation of complete words.
Have you seen those video clips of dogs "speaking"? I think if a werewolf really practiced, they could probably form intelligible phrases and sentences. Sure, the sounds those dogs are making for the most part are just grunts that could be amusingly mistaken for human speech, but if a dog could get that without even really trying, you can imagine what'd be possible if you added some human ingenuity to it.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

The last clip sounded a bit fake, like someone yelled the words behind the camera. But the first ones were pretty cool. :D That first one is a classic! :lol: "Hello?"
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Yes, but not into a demon-voice thing. That stuff is creepy and not wolf-like.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Sure, the sounds those dogs are making for the most part are just grunts that could be amusingly mistaken for human speech
While it may not have had the intention of conveying concepts, the sound itself is technically not that different. It shows that if a human-like brain could operate a dog's upper respiratory system, that entity could at least partially communicate.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

CrewWolf wrote:but if a dog could get that without even really trying, you can imagine what'd be possible if you added some human ingenuity to it.
Yeah, the dog probably doesn't know what it's doing[1]. All it knows is that it makes this funny sound, and everyone gets excited. On the other hand, a werewolf, knows what it's trying to do, and has some expirence moving a mouth to make the proper sounds. With time and a little work, I don't see any reason why they couldn't speak at least a little bit.

[1] I wouldn't know, I've never been a dog.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I think it is possible that the dog is trying to immitate his owner.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

all this is cool and stuff, and i like the idea, but we have to be realistic and think about the movie, which this is for. if they use those voices, it will be hard for people to understand any of the characters when they are in gestalt form, and that means that the audience would have to really work hard to understand what is being said. that is NOT good for a movie.
i suggest that we focus more on attributes of the voice that we want to emphasize, like gruffness and tone and stuff like that, but to an extent that it can still be clearly understood by the audience.
talk-growling just doesn't make any sense to me, i'm sorry, it just doesn't.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I agree with that. The talking should just be human, but with a 'deeper' tone to it.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I still think that Werewolves should NOT talk in gestalt form. Even if it was possible to learn how...I realy don't think they should try. I don't want to hear it.

...werewolves talking in regular human voices would just ruin the mystique of them...

I say NO. ...maybe a word or two when absolutely neccesary, but no Gestalt conversation voices...

IMHO.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Body language and 'wolf-talk' would most likely be used the most for communication. But I think they could talk if they really wanted too. Like Jamie said, none of the creepy evil voice work. Just a bit gruffer/deeper. :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

If I see ONE werewolf BARKING in Freeborn, I'll personally gonna destroy all the audio-tracks of the film.

- (Were)wolves.
- Can't
- Barck!!
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Sign me up for talking werewolves, please.

Actually, I think it could be kinda interesting to see a film (not necessarily Freeborn) where the experienced werewolves are fluent in gestalt form, but a new werewolf can't possibly manage communication.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Morkulv wrote:If I see ONE werewolf BARKING in Freeborn, I'll personally gonna destroy all the audio-tracks of the film.

- (Were)wolves.
- Can't
- Barck!!
Puppy or adult?
Wolf puppies can bark.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Morkulv wrote:- (Were)wolves.
- Can't
- Barck!!

Wolves can bark. They can also whimper, growl and squeak. Wolves just don't bark as much as domestic dogs do.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Then its just a silly sound that sounds like a bark, but its not a bark.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Morkulv wrote:If I see ONE werewolf BARKING in Freeborn, I'll personally gonna destroy all the audio-tracks of the film.

- (Were)wolves.
- Can't
- Barck!!
Puppy or adult?
Wolf puppies can bark.
I don't have wolf-pups so I can't state that.
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

Ink wrote:It should change. If not for the obvious reasons everyone has so noted....

Well, I have this strange envisionment of Long Island girls that become Werewolves and start speaking like they usually do, with a clotty, annoying, horrible Long Island accent. It would be generally unacceptable, pretty laughable... and I might cry.
:lol: I might cry too!
Although being on the West Coast I kinda pictured Valley Girls after reading that <GAK>

IF and its a big if - they did talk please make it understandable. I honestly am leaning towards no talking but Im going to vote - dont care.

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Lupin wrote:
- Can't
- Barck!!

Wolves can bark. They can also whimper, growl and squeak. Wolves just don't bark as much as domestic dogs do.
Yes. Wolves totally bark.

They just don't often have any reason to do so. A growl (with the visual compliment of a snarl) is generally enough, and a howl is far better long range communication than a bark, etc.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Aki wrote:
Lupin wrote:
- Can't
- Barck!!

Yes. Wolves totally bark.

They just don't often have any reason to do so. A growl (with the visual compliment of a snarl) is generally enough, and a howl is far better long range communication than a bark, etc.
I have a CD of music mixed with wolf sounds, that includes a great deal more than just howling. There are also tracks of wolves at play, whimpering, growling, and I'm quite sure there is even a part where two wolves are scufling and they totally Bark as they growl and snort, (as well as various other indescribable sounds).

Don't forget...all domestic dogs are really just messed up, unusually bred decendants of Wolves. Wolves don't have as much use for the sound of Barking as Dogs do, but yes they can and do on occasion...just not as much.

Also...not all "Barks" sound the same. It's true that wolves don't make any kind of sound quite like the annoying yippy sound your neighbors dog makes...but they most definately make more sounds than just growling and howling.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Vuldari could you send me some of those wolves sounds through "you send it" :D .
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I have no idea how to send an audio-file.

..besides...after listening to the CD again, the sounds I hear as barks are very different from the bark of a german shepord, collie, doberman, husky, or most other large dogs. ...You may not agree that it is actually a bark, but actually call it something else...though I don't know what else to call it myself.

...none of it is classic "Arf"s or "woof"s...
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

If something has a muzzle, long, canine teeth system, a half-wolf-half-human throat system, you can't really talk so well that it could be comprehended.

(Werewolves should really learn how to use sign language that the deaf and mute people usually use)

:wink:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:I have no idea how to send an audio-file.

..besides...after listening to the CD again, the sounds I hear as barks are very different from the bark of a german shepord, collie, doberman, husky, or most other large dogs. ...You may not agree that it is actually a bark, but actually call it something else...though I don't know what else to call it myself.

...none of it is classic "Arf"s or "woof"s...
"Bark wooflaven?"
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Lyco
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lyco »