Voice

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should the voice of a werewolf change during TF?

Yes
80%
No
13%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%

Total votes: 87

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Voice

Post by Morkulv »

Well? I think they should just remain the same. A human's voice is really flexible and is capable of a lot of things. A change would only be annoying (or fake). You know, like some werewolf-movie were you can hear the voice-change into a really low voice. It sounds fake, IMO.

Opinions?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I voted 'no', but my real answer would have been 'slightly'. I don't want the voice to get a lot deeper or change very much. But I would like for their voice to be a tiny bit growlier. But, I agree, their voices should not become deeper.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I voted YES. It doesn't take much manipulation within a humans throat and voicebox to dramatically change the tone of the sound that comes out of it.
(If it did...we would all have to contort our heads and necks in obscene ways to change our tone when singing or doing an imitiation of someone elses voice.)

...allthough I agree that not everyones voice would automatically become monsterously deep and booming (though some might), I definately think that a change as dramatic as transforming into a werwolf would definately change the tone and sound of ones Human voice well beyond recognition when, and while transforming/ transformed.

...maybe higher...maybe lower...but surely at least unrecognisably different.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I like to think that werewolves voices get really low and have like a growlish thing in the back ground, but thats me.

realisticaly werewolf voices should change if it doesn't the howl will sould like ours, and well we don't howl as well we like to. it may not go that low but it should be a noticable change.
THE GAME

My Armory
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Yes, since the shape of the lips, teeth, and tounge would change, and those modulate the voice.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I could see a slight change, but if the werewolf goes from sounding like Alvin the chipmunk to Mufasa the lion, well, that's too much.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It should. The change in a person's voice is notable when they are holding their nose or holding their tongue. It would therefore not be very realistic for someone's voice to not undergo any changes with a completely different mouth and nose.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I voted yes.

The "low" voice is probably inaccurate, as a wolf of matching weight would probably keep the same pitch, or it might even go up a bit. (Picture breathing in helium and then screaming, "Oh, no, the full moon!") For those of you who think laws of thermodynamics were meant to be broken and Gestalt forms eight feet tall, then yes, a deeper voice is going to happen.

But, voice is more than pitch; it's also subtle anatomic differences from one person to the next. And, turning into a wolf changes that anatomy pretty dramatically. The larynx may still be there, but it's stretched and moved.

Individual sounds within speech (AKA, letters of the alphabet) depend on the tongue, roof of the mouth, teeth, and so forth to be where they're normally found. A long, broad, and floppy tongue in an elongated muzzle with 42 teeth in all, enormous cuspids, and tiny incisors is going to sound different.

Here's my guess as to how a werewolf might sound reciting the alphabet.

Ayeh
Feh
Seeh
Deh
Eeh
Eff
Zheh
Ash
Aii
Jlay
Kay
Aelememugh (Everyone runs "LMNO" together)
Pfey
Klyou
Arr (this one's easy, so werewolf pirates are set)
Esch
Thee
Eyu
Feh
Drowrowrwow
Echss
Why
Zhee

With practice, one probably would sound better. But, for awhile, your lycanthropese would need subtitles for most people to understand.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Set wrote:I could see a slight change, but if the werewolf goes from sounding like Alvin the chipmunk to Mufasa the lion, well, that's too much.
:lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Skorn
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: I don't fit in....but I don't care

Post by Skorn »

I vote 'yes'. When a werewolf changes really it can't really vocalize like humans can. I woul;d think more wolfish sounds than human. Roaring, growling, and so on.

With more wolfish features the vocal cords are likely to change also. Therefore human voice goes to wolf.
The Moon is my guardian, constant and true. The moonlight shows me the way. Shadows are my closest firends. Darkness is my weapon.......and fear....Fear is my ally.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

So far i'm the only one who voted "i don't care".
Chhayawolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chhayawolf »

The lung capasity and the size changing of vocal cords would really come into play, i can't picture a werewolf with soft light voice. Because then if they growled it would be a soft light growl. Its kind of like the difference between a chiuahua and a great dane if i put it in an extreme variation. The muzzle length the lungs, vocal cords, nostril size, you get the drift. But hopefully it'll help people get the idea better. :howl:  :oo
Can you imagine a life without creativity?
bloodwolf_345
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Polywere Supreme

Post by bloodwolf_345 »

The Voice should deepen slightly, but not so much that it sounds fake. A bit of a growl should be in the voice as well, otherwise the secret of who the werewolf is would be discovered, and the werewolf wouldn't want that
A fractured psyche is not always a bad thing. In the world of Werewolves and Otherkin, many can exist in one host very peacefully. I am a great example of that. I have 6 different Fursonas
bloodwolf_345
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Polywere Supreme

Post by bloodwolf_345 »

Chhayawolf wrote:The lung capasity and the size changing of vocal cords would really come into play, i can't picture a werewolf with soft light voice. Because then if they growled it would be a soft light growl. Its kind of like the difference between a chiuahua and a great dane if i put it in an extreme variation. The muzzle length the lungs, vocal cords, nostril size, you get the drift. But hopefully it'll help people get the idea better. :howl:  :oo

I see what you mean with the difference between a Chihuahua and a Great Dane, but if you were to picture a Great Dane the size of a Chihuahua or vice versa, the pitch of the bark and growl would be the same. It all has to do with size. Makes sense, right?
A fractured psyche is not always a bad thing. In the world of Werewolves and Otherkin, many can exist in one host very peacefully. I am a great example of that. I have 6 different Fursonas
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

The physical voice aparatus changes (drastically); therefore, the voice should be expected to change.

A human doesn't have "a voice". They have several kinds of voice. A voice teacher talks about chest tones, throat tones, and head tones.

The vooice mechanism has several different parts: air source, a vibrator to create the sound vibrations, a resonator to magnify them, and a modulator to change them. Actually we have different vibrators. The vocal cords are obvious but the throat itself can be used as a vibrator (as in a growl but also in different kinds of singing and speakng). Even the lips can be used to set up a vibration (as in whistling). The chest, throat and head (including sinuses) are used as resonators and the degree that each is use can be varied. Also, the whole voice mechanism from the throat up to the nose can be used to modulate the voice.

The question is - what technique do Werewolves use to speak or sing. Strangely, most people seem to consider wolves to be basses. They're actually more commonly tenors. The howl is more of a speaking/singing voice than the growl so I would expect Werewolf speech to be more in the range of their howling voice (which, BTW, is no where near as high as a coyote's voice).

Cenematographically, I suspect that it would be rather a shock to the mainstream theater goer t hear a smooth tenor voice come out of a tough alpha Werewolf - but I dunno, it might strike a cord with the public.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

It should change. If not for the obvious reasons everyone has so noted....

Well, I have this strange envisionment of Long Island girls that become Werewolves and start speaking like they usually do, with a clotty, annoying, horrible Long Island accent. It would be generally unacceptable, pretty laughable... and I might cry.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Well, if it were anime........
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

They'd speak Japanese with English subtitles, like Boma does in Heat Guy J.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I voted yes.

Wolves have a higher range of hearing, so I think it'd be reasonable for a werewolf to vocalize that. Not just getting throatier, but having a greater range. Being able to communicate with each other outside the range of human hearing would be a tremendous advantage.

"Look at those two werewolves talking over there! I'm *sure* they're talking to each other — but I can't hear them saying anything!"

Hope nobody gets too annoyed at this, I'd even suggest Lycanthropese be a pitched, sung language — or even have a High and a Low Lycanthropese, the former used when greeting other werewolves and in ritualistic circumstances, such as trials, courtship and the like.

Edit: Imagine a werewolf opera singer...[shivers in ecstasy]
ImageImageImageImage
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

werewolf opera singers specializing in very VERY high notes would literally shatter glass in opera houses. At least that's what i think. :lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Myth-busters proved that a human voice can shatter a glass, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for a wolf. But on the other hand, our voice can reach a lot of higher tones then that of a wolf.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Is anyone else thinking "Killing Word" right now? Burst organs, shatter bones using just their voice?
Hold on...I'm getting some inspiration...back to the syllabus... :read2:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The voices should definatly change when transformed into a werewolf, my reasons are pretty much are already explained from what I have read in here, I just think that your whole throat would simply get wider and that has to change the way you sound, just hear the way a kid talks and the way an Adult talks.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Moon Daughter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Door to Darkness

Post by Moon Daughter »

I don't think a transformed werewolf (like wolf form) should be able to speak human language at all. Maybe a series of grunts and growls that sound almost/barely like human speech, but no actual formation of complete words.
"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man." -Dr. Johnson
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Let's not get carried away with this. No Stirba, evil werewolf queen, blowing up people's eyeballs with a howl, or I'll have to go to Count Dooku and get the Holy Ear Plugs of Antioch. (Howling 2. If you don't get the joke, you're lucky!)