CUTE?!? *gasp* Abomination!!!

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

You prefer your werewolves to be...?

Snarly
5%
Beautiful
9%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
1%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
68%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
18%

Total votes: 80

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

CUTE?!? *gasp* Abomination!!!

Post by Set »

Yet another stupid poll from me. *ignores the groans* :thpt2:

You prefer werewolves to be what? Beautiful? Snarly? Cute? Pick one!

And answer this: why are so many people so against cute? I mean really...what's wrong with cute? Why can't werewolves be cute? The world won't explode. It really won't. Not from that, anyway.

I don't see why people think a werewolf can't be cute. Contrary to popular belief cuteness does not at all detract from majesticness or potential to be scary. If it did then wolves would be nothing more to people than big, fluffy puppies. Humans can be cute, and wolves can be also, so therefore it's only logical that a werewolf could be cute.

But then again, logic would ruin your visions of the super badass wolf which you all so desperately want to (and never will) be. Hum. I guess that's life eh?

Really now. Come on. There's nothing wrong with cute. Hell, even I can be cute, so there's no reason a werewolf couldn't be.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

"Other" / All of the above and MORE.

I think that wolves are beautiful animals, and so I think that a werewolf could be capable of looking beautiful too.
...however, if they look so cute and fluffy and puppy-like that you want to hug and pet them, ever when they are snarling at you, then they are probobly a little TOO cute.

...but even if a gestalt werewolf does not look exactly like (or hardly anything like) a ferral wolf, I think their range of expression should be about equal. An angry wolf looks freaky as Hell...but a calm, friendly or playfull one can make you break out into a fit of "....Gaaaawwwwwwwww..."s.

So if (heaven forbid) a big, strong, Bad@** werewolf were to stand calmly still, tilt its head sideways and look at you with sad, puppydog eyes, I think that they would have to be pretty damn butt-ugly to be capable of NOT looking cute then.

It's all in the attitude. Even take the werewolves from Underworld...

Imagine one that just finished shifting (one of the modern, controllable ones) and then accidentally stepped on his pet cocker-spaniels tail. The sight of the caring owner picking it up and petting it, and grumbling appologies and looking at it with a worried expression would be enough to make even one of them look "Cute" for a brief moment.

I think that, in the right mood, and the right situation, nearly All werewolves should be Able to look cute. ...and my normal preference would be that they would look almost as aesthetically fantastic as a ferral wolf too, even if they look different.

...but not so that they don't make you piss your pants when they snarl at you. I like them to be both Terrifying, and somewhat Beautiful at the same time.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Re: CUTE?!? *gasp* Abomination!!!

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote: I don't see why people think a werewolf can't be cute. Contrary to popular belief cuteness does not at all detract from majesticness or potential to be scary. If it did then wolves would be nothing more to people than big, fluffy puppies. Humans can be cute, and wolves can be also, so therefore it's only logical that a werewolf could be cute.
You and I evidently have different definitions of cute. IMO, the overwhelming majority of adult wolves and humans aren't cute. Wolf puppies and baby humans can be cute, though.

NOTE: I am not implying that youth is a requisite for cuteness. There are many animals (and a handful of people) who look cute even into old age. But, IMO, adult wolves aren't one of them. They're beautiful, but not cute.
Set wrote:But then again, logic would ruin your visions of the super badass wolf which you all so desperately want to (and never will) be. Hum. I guess that's life eh?
Why so condescending? There's nothing wrong with someone being a fan of badass werewolves.

All of that being said, I voted for a combination. I'd like for them to look snarly when they're mad, and beautiful if they're not. I prefer them not to look cute, but I don't rule it out entirely.

Essentially, my feelings on werewolf cuteness can be summed up by this statement: Werewolves can look cute, but they do not look cute by default. They have to do something cute in order to look cute. Whereas many animals can simply stand there and look positively adorable, I think a werewolf would have to actually do something cute or make a cute face in order to be cute. If they are simply standing there, they won't look cute (but they would look beautiful).

In addition, I think that even if a werewolf isn't snarling, it would still look somewhat fearsome. Not necessarily enough to make someone run in terror simply by looking at it, but enough to keep them from being compelled to go and give it a great big hug. They would, at the very least, be apprehensive of a werewolf with a blank facial expression. But, I think an angry werewolf should be enough to make anyone run in fear.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote: I'd like for them to look snarly when they're mad, and beautiful if they're not. I prefer them not to look cute, but I don't rule it out entirely.

Essentially, my feelings on werewolf cuteness can be summed up by this statement: Werewolves can look cute, but they do not look cute by default. They have to do something cute in order to look cute. Whereas many animals can simply stand there and look positively adorable, I think a werewolf would have to actually do something cute or make a cute face in order to be cute. If they are simply standing there, they won't look cute (but they would look beautiful).

In addition, I think that even if a werewolf isn't snarling, it would still look somewhat fearsome. Not necessarily enough to make someone run in terror simply by looking at it, but enough to keep them from being compelled to go and give it a great big hug. They would, at the very least, be apprehensive of a werewolf with a blank facial expression. But, I think an angry werewolf should be enough to make anyone run in fear.
That sounds pretty close to how I feel about it too. Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I put other because I am of the school that the way you are as a human is the way you are as a werewolf.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I'd say they should be capable of looking as cute/beautiful/majestic/etc as they want. Like wolves. One can be all majestic and regal looking one moment, all perched on a rock or something in some pose you'd expect out of a calendar or national geographic, then up in your face with a demonic snarl looking like he's about to rip your face off.

:D
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

I think it depends on the person some people think wolves are ogly monsters and killing muchens
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Cute when they want to be
Beautiful, usually
Snarly and inductive fo the pants-soiling effect when they're angry

I put a combination, becuase I figured the combo is different for every person, so for every shifter it's different.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

PariahPoet wrote:I put other because I am of the school that the way you are as a human is the way you are as a werewolf.
Shadowblaze wrote:I put a combination, becuase I figured the combo is different for every person, so for every shifter it's different.

Very true. Not every werewolf would look the same. Some would surely look considerably less cute than others. (all toothy and freaky and stuff, or just tough as nails and anything but cuddly)

...flip side... if used right in a story, a werewolf with a heartwarming gaze could actually be really cool. Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Other

I don't see a werewolf as any of those
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Why i voted "other"? Cos i like my werewolves mostly sleek looking. Other than that, i like cute ones.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'll take "combo of the above" as a near-enough answer since it's possible for humans and wolves to be beautiful, cute or snarly.

Wolves: Cute, Sexy, and Snarly
Humans: Cute, Sexy, and Snarly
:wink:

So I'll take any variation of the three, just so long as it's in character. No cute girls becomming towering behemoths or shady Senor Cardgage-looking guys turning into John Talbain.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Terastas wrote: and Snarly
:lol:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Terastas wrote: So I'll take any variation of the three, just so long as it's in character. No cute girls becomming towering behemoths or shady Senor Cardgage-looking guys turning into John Talbain.
Get a leg up on the pile and refinance your dreams! Call 5555-55585-5555 Senor Mortgage! TODAY! :o :D

Sorry... :(
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm envisioning the werewolves in my story to have a kind of presence best described as "terrible beauty." When they see them in gestalt, humans don't stampede in pellmell terror. Unless the WW is attacking them, they do this "deer in the headlights"/toe-curling thing. I think Richard Adams summed it up in the word "tharn," meaning an emotion somewhere between fascination and terror: IOW, scared stiff.

I used "terrible beauty" instead of "awesome" because the latter has lost its original meaning and been recently morphed into a term of approval. "Awesome" used to connote the quality of something huge, impending and splendid bearing down on you, like a tornado or a stampede. But yeah, I think werewolves should be awesome in the original sense of the word.
ImageImageImageImage
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

When blending a wolf and a human together it is impossible to create something 'cute', or 'beautiful'. It shouldn't be a ugly piece of shizzle either, but it just wouldn't be mothers finest... A werewolf should look evil, in a way that normal wolves don't, but not too much.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:When blending a wolf and a human together it is impossible to create something 'cute', or 'beautiful'.
Not "IMPOSSIBLE"...

...just because no one has done so yet, does not mean it is impossible.

It just so happens that almost no one has ever tried...since most who would prefer a more "beautiful" werewolf like the full-wolven look, and only the people who are trying to make your stomach wretch have experimented with the "hybrid" style.

A Hybrid-Style werewolf could be made to look beautiful ...if more people gave it a try.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:
Set wrote:But then again, logic would ruin your visions of the super badass wolf which you all so desperately want to (and never will) be. Hum. I guess that's life eh?
Why so condescending? There's nothing wrong with someone being a fan of badass werewolves.
Did I say there was something wrong with it? Whether I did or didn't, I'm just a disagreeable thing by default. It's in my nature. Don't ask me to change that, because that would be going against nature, for THE nature created MY nature.

But of course it's all about you isn't it? Sorry to disappoint, but I actually had Morkulv in mind when writing this topic.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote: But of course it's all about you isn't it? Sorry to disappoint, but I actually had Morkulv in mind when writing this topic.
Actually, I didn't think that you were referring specifically to me. I thought you were referring to an entire group of people, including Anubis, Shadow Wulf, Morkulv, Apokrytaros, Ink, perhaps Lupin, and myself, who are all in favor of badass werewolves. (If I've included any of you in error, sorry).

Sorry 'bout that. I just get kinda snippy when I think someone is being condescending towards my viewpoint.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Set wrote:I don't see why people think a werewolf can't be cute. Contrary to popular belief cuteness does not at all detract from majesticness or potential to be scary.
Personally I never saw adult wolves as cute. Same thing for adult humans. Wolf puppies can be cute, and children can be cute. Adult wolves tend to look more 'silly' than cute, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

There certainly seems to be a wide variance in what each of us considers "CUTE".

MY definition of cute extends beyond just baby humans and animals, and includes just about anything that inspires feelings of pure innocent joy at the sight or thought of it.

This would include old men who look and act like Santa Claus, most or all of the pictures in the previous post, adult, mature humans with silly/happy expressions on their face, and a great number of other things as well.

All of these things inspire almost the same kind of emotional response from me, so I catagorize them all under the definition "CUTE".
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:Sorry 'bout that. I just get kinda snippy when I think someone is being condescending towards my viewpoint.
*shrug* You're human. It happens. I'm sure all of us have done the same thing at some point.
Vuldari wrote:There certainly seems to be a wide variance in what each of us considers "CUTE".
Indeed. I'm still trying to figure out what Morkulv's definition is, since he never told us, and for some reason he thinks Van Helsing falls under that category.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Terastas wrote:I'll take "combo of the above" as a near-enough answer since it's possible for humans and wolves to be beautiful, cute or snarly.

Wolves: Cute, Sexy, and Snarly
Humans: Cute, Sexy, and Snarly
:wink:
uhh, ok then. Anyway I agree with both Rerounei and Vuldari, I like think all werewolves should be able to look somewhat cute if they want to, but by default I dont mind either way really, beautiful, average, primitive I like all of those cause I just like werewolves in general. I dont get a bit annoyed when they are looking too cute to the degree that they can be something from loony toons or a furry.If you look at the van helsing werewolf as hes fighting Dracula he looks all badass tough werewolf and if you notice he doesnt look ugly in none of the parts, and when he killed that, um...Kate Beckensal you see his expression turning to sad that would make just about anyone go Awwwww. Even my sister thought he looked really cute and she isnt a werewolf fan.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yup, I think a WW can look cute when they want to. Shouldnt be cute 'n adorable all the time or anything. They would be more beautiful/noble looking most of the time instead :D And when pissed, snarly :x 100% cool looking all the time though 8)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Real wolves can be cute, ferocious, or beautiful. They can be majestic. They can be intimidating.

Just once, I'd like to see a werewolf that captures that duality, rather than just focusing on the ferocious to the point of being ugly. I think a beautiful werewolf would be more intimidating than anything previously depicted.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...