The Wild

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

The Wild

Post by Akugarou »

It's the year of the fur-covered movie! Seriously.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/thewild/
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I've read about this one.

Its almost like Madagascar.

Still. I'm going to see it when it comes out. Looks like it has lots of adult humor.

Adult humor. As in humor adults can understand compared to little kids watching it.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I think I might see this.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

I'll see it with my Cup Full of Jesus (my freshman year roommate, Katie, the uber-Christian; who's the only person in the world with the skillz to tolerate and yet love Ink, the oddly atheistic, pro-violent, swears like a sailor, overthinking person I am... and not want to kill me after living with it...)

She and I have this thing with the song Come Sail Away by Styx... I blame it on the fact she's a theatre major, mostly.

It's the theme song from freshman year at University because the Cup Full of Jesus and I had this obsession with bad music.[spoiler] And I spent most of that semester baked...[/spoiler]
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Looks entertaining.. don't know if I'll go and see it in theaters though... don't get out much anymore...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:Looks like it has lots of adult humor.
Doubtful. Disney has a pretty staunch policy on adult humor.

And I agree that this looks like a total ripoff. Lion protagonist, giraffe sidekick, New York Zoo, macho penguins, snarling poodle gag -- it has too much in common with Madagascar to be just a coincidence -- one of them had to copy the other, and since Dreamworks had their movie out almost two years earlier, it's unlikely that Madagascar was a rush job.

I think I'm going to wait until I can find this one as a rental.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Terastas wrote: Doubtful. Disney has a pretty staunch policy on adult humor.

And I agree that this looks like a total ripoff. Lion protagonist, giraffe sidekick, New York Zoo, macho penguins, snarling poodle gag -- it has too much in common with Madagascar to be just a coincidence -- one of them had to copy the other, and since Dreamworks had their movie out almost two years earlier, it's unlikely that Madagascar was a rush job.

Hmmm... You're probably very right on the 'too close for comfort' with the rip off thing.

I will still go to the movies to watch it! For the simple fact Styx is featured in the trailer! Bwahahah!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:

I'm talking about humor that adults understand compared to kids.

Not adult humor that kids are not suppose to see.

For example. The character says something, then the adult laughs because he understands whats being said. Little kids rarely laugh at whats being said. They mostly laugh at actions. Like a pie being thrown in the face.

Maybe "adult humor" is not the right way of putting it.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

Terastas wrote:

Surprisingly... THIS movie was conceptualized BEFORE Madagascar. When Disney saw that Dreamworks stole their idea, they put The Wild on the backburner.

This fact still doesn't make me personally want to see it, but thought I'd mention it anyway :wink:

~Snowy
"Valve Radio," the debut cd from Nicole De Fino, is now available for purchase through cdbaby.com: http://www.cdbaby.com/nicoledefino

"There is no 'I' in 'team', there are two in "idiot" though..."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:For example. The character says something, then the adult laughs because he understands whats being said. Little kids rarely laugh at whats being said. They mostly laugh at actions. Like a pie being thrown in the face.

Maybe "adult humor" is not the right way of putting it.
*nods* That's what I meant. The closest thing Disney will divulge into in terms of adult humor, however, is a movie reference, and usually then it's one they expect kids to have seen as well. They may use a little adult humor, but not nearly as much as Dreamworks and Fox do.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Can you say Madagascar rip off!!! :roll:
THE GAME

My Armory
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

SnowWalker wrote:Surprisingly... THIS movie was conceptualized BEFORE Madagascar. When Disney saw that Dreamworks stole their idea, they put The Wild on the backburner.
Who told you that? It certainly doesn't look like it's had 2+ years of extra work behind it.

A lot of people don't know it, but Madagascar was actually a presentation of Dreamwork's latest graphics achievements. The first movies were about toys and bugs because they were simplistic and easy to animate. The next step was fur and feathers because each individual hair had to be animated individually. The next step (and this is the one they proved with Madagascar was to design "elastic" characters -- characters capable of being stretched and compacted. Designing a character that is both toony and furry is a nightmare, and yet Madagascar was filled with such characters.

So Dreamworks releases a visually stunning movie as the showcase for their character design, and the only progress Disney has to show for their 2+ years extra is glossy scales on the snake? Sorry, but I don't buy it.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SnowWalker »

Terastas wrote:
SnowWalker wrote:Surprisingly... THIS movie was conceptualized BEFORE Madagascar. When Disney saw that Dreamworks stole their idea, they put The Wild on the backburner.
Who told you that? It certainly doesn't look like it's had 2+ years of extra work behind it.
I didn't say it had 2 years more work, only that it was thought up before Madagascar. I'm not sure where it is, but I saw it in an article and somewhere on IMDB.

~Snowy
"Valve Radio," the debut cd from Nicole De Fino, is now available for purchase through cdbaby.com: http://www.cdbaby.com/nicoledefino

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

SnowWalker wrote:I'm not sure where it is, but I saw it in an article and somewhere on IMDB.

~Snowy
Is this what you read? It's all I could find on IMDB that resembled such a claim.

If it isn't, I'd like you to tell me so (or even better, help me find the article if you're up to it). If it is, however, there are two things that I couldn't live with myself if I didn't point them out.

1) This is not an article. It's a fan review.

2) Consider the credibility of your source. In the dispute between Dreamworks and Disney, I would not expect someone with the username "Disney Lover 1" to be unbiased.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SnowWalker »

Terastas wrote:
SnowWalker wrote:I'm not sure where it is, but I saw it in an article and somewhere on IMDB.

~Snowy
Is this what you read? It's all I could find on IMDB that resembled such a claim.

If it isn't, I'd like you to tell me so (or even better, help me find the article if you're up to it). If it is, however, there are two things that I couldn't live with myself if I didn't point them out.

1) This is not an article. It's a fan review.

2) Consider the credibility of your source. In the dispute between Dreamworks and Disney, I would not expect someone with the username "Disney Lover 1" to be unbiased.
may I first say that I hate Disney as much as the next guy, and just like you I was ready to say that they ripped off Dreamworks. That was until one of my co-workers who is INCREDIBLY in the know told me that it was the other way around. I have to ask him where he got his info from, once I find out I'll tell you.

anywho...

~Snowy

SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary

because I said I would

Post by SnowWalker »

I asked my friend who gives me the good information about movies. Well, apparently I misunderstood him.

Seems like neither of us is likely to be right.

Both The Wild and Madagascar were conceptualized at the same time. Obviously it's hard to prove something like that, because you have to ask either Disney or Dreamworks, and of course both are going to answer whatever is more favorable to them. The reason my friend gave me was that The Wild has actually been promoting itself for a while and was supposedly slated for a realease that would have been closer to Madagascar. Fearing their movie would ultimatly be called a rip-off, Disney decided to hold off for a while.

Now, if you ask me to defend this, I cannot. Like I said, one would have to talk to Disney/Dreamworks, and then remember that both are more interested in their own agendas to not lie or bend the truth. But I did at least want to get back to you.

anywho...

~Snowy

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

A scene from the film.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/thewild/

Click on "Switch to Exclusive scene" at the bottom, then pick your size.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

WTF? They named the lion 'Ryan'?
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

Looks like it has lots of adult humor.
are you kidding!!! Diseny is one of the leaders of sexual humure ment for adults but direscted at kids. and they are sued all the time for it. at all started with The Little Mermaid. they saw tht it was such a maney maker that they keep doing it. in way its really sad.
I think i am going to pass on this film. it looks like Disney's way of having their own madagascar.
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Disney has been accused of putting sexual subliminal messages in their movies, allegedly to brainwash their audiences, but the only evidence to such are a bunch of ranting Calvinist Christians (usually the same people that wanted Pokemon and Harry Potter banned), and Disney has never done anything quite on the level that Fox and Dreamworks delve into.

The furthest Disney has ever delved into the adult humor line with are fart jokes and blow-to-the-crotch jokes, and even then they treat those as if kids aren't supposed to know about it. Case in point: Hakuna Matata:

Pumbaa: And I got downhearted. Everytime that I...
Timon: Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
Pumbaa: Oh. Sorry

Compare that to the "almost said it" scenarios in Dreamworks:

"Please keep off, of the grass, shine your shoes, wipe your. . . FACE!!"

"I like an honest fight and a saucy little maid."
"What he's basically saying is that he likes to get-"
"PAID!!"

So while the characters of Dreamworks are getting underpants thrown at them and listening to Baby Got Back, the characters of Disney are only now beginning to acknowledge bodily functions and the existence of private parts. Sex in the dust cloud, the phallus in Atlantica and "Good teenagers, take off your clothes" don't count because they were either never intended or never meant to be noticed. When Dreamworks and Fox push the boundaries, it's pretty well understood that's exactly what their doing.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Yeah I agree...it looks like a Madagascar ripoff. Have they no shame??

There's so many of these computer animated ones coming out. I love Ice Age, don't get me wrong...oh and Chicken Little...holy crap that rocked! The movies are okay but just so conformist nowadays! The humour is so copied and the same. :x

I dunno about this one but it looks okay to see, maybe to borrow on DVD rather than cinema. Bleh
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

*nods* Same here. I only see one or two movies in theatres in theatres every year anyway, and I've already got my two for 2006 picked out (Over the Hedge and Happy Feet if you're wondering).

Also, I've heard the "too many CG" movies argument before, but don't forget that there are so many of these movies because so many different companies are making them. I had a list of all the companies that are making or have made CG movies on another thread and it rounded up to one move per month even assuming that each company only made one per year.

You also shouldn't include the Barbie and Hotwheels movies. That'd be like comparring Jimmy Neutron to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. :grinp:
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

I don't know about you guys but i would like to see some good old fashioned animated movies like balto again sigh i can't wait until that wolf one is finished.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Yeah it's rather annoying where all the humour is the same. Did I mention Garfield? The animated piece of crap doesn't even act like Garfield! Comic book remakes...done utterly terribly! Old movie remakes, book remakes, you name it, the lot. Some done well, others...just...please down the drain.

:lol:

But yeah they need to ditch the stereotype humour. Well I preferred Balto and Lion King as well. But that's only my opinion. Other people like the humour I guess, I can't conflict with them about it. Everybody's choice eh!

(I'm a little hyperactive. Excuse me. :oops: )
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Every time I see a clip, I go :roll: instead of laugh.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thewild ... hj51BfVXcA