Brokeback Mountain *sniff

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Brokeback Mountain *sniff

Post by fredriksam »

Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Everyone from my mother's friends to Jay Leno has been talking about how good it is.

But my mother's a homophobe (in denial no less, despite her claims to disown me if I ever dated a girl) so I'll probably never see it.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

:shudder:
THE GAME

My Armory
anirbas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Red headed duck lady

Post by anirbas »

I don't really have any interest in the movie but I am not against it either.
:D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I have no intentions of going to see this movie.

While I'm not entirely opposed to watching it, I don't want to help it out at the box office at all by buying a ticket. If one of my friends ever rents it, then I might watch it, but I will never put any money towards this film in any way. I can't elaborate right now because I have a class soon, but I might later on.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

i'm not going to, the idea creeps me out
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It sounds like one of those movies that I'll be very impressed with after seeing, but have to build up interest. Certainly, that it offends Fundamentalists by portraying gays gets my attention. It also looks like it's a very visual movie. But, it's not the sort of movie I'd generally watch. Still, I probably should, because, again, it looks like I'll be impressed once I see it.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I'm not really convinced. After all, it's rare that AngryAlien does a bunny version while it's still in theatres. The only other movie they did that to was Freddy vs. Jason. :P
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

...brain... hurts...

Somehow Gay Cowboys don't appeal to me. It could be, in fact, that I have gay friends and all they do is annoy me... They might be gay. Are they special? No.

In fact, there's a gay population out there in the world. The fact some of them might be cowboys and might have a taboo love for each other doesn't concern me.

And WHY!? call it 'Brokeback Mountain' ... if it's a serious drama don't be putting titles in there that bbbbbbeeeeeeggggg to be abused.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

As far as I'm concerned, the term 'gay cowboys' should be an oxymoron. If someone is going to do a movie about gay guys, they should pick something not quite so hyper-masculine as cowboys.

:richwolf:

Yeah, yeah, I know that it's supposed to make it more effective, and I know that surely some cowboys were gay. But geez, there's just some stuff you shouldn't mess with.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Gay Cowboys aren't even an original concept either. Remember the Sundance Film Festival episode of South Park?
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

:roll:
Ink wrote:And WHY!? call it 'Brokeback Mountain' ... if it's a serious drama don't be putting titles in there that bbbbbbeeeeeeggggg to be abused.
It's called Brokeback Mountain because that's where they are, Brokeback mountain. It's a location.
Renorei wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the term 'gay cowboys' should be an oxymoron. If someone is going to do a movie about gay guys, they should pick something not quite so hyper-masculine as cowboys.
I'm not even gonna get into THAT argument with you. But I must say, your ignorance astounds me. Especially with the fact that it's (repeatedly, by various sources) said to be a based on a true story.

All I see here is "OMG, gay cowboys! Ew! HEATHENS!!!!one!1!!eleventy!!!1" Did you ever stop and think that maybe the movie might actually be good? If you don't want to see it, then don't go see it, but don't be opening up a completely unnessicary can of worms.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Anubis wrote::shudder:
I second that but I would watch it out of curiosity...when it comes on HBO/Stars, Cinamax or something.
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:
Renorei wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the term 'gay cowboys' should be an oxymoron. If someone is going to do a movie about gay guys, they should pick something not quite so hyper-masculine as cowboys.
I'm not even gonna get into THAT argument with you. But I must say, your ignorance astounds me. Especially with the fact that it's (repeatedly, by various sources) said to be a based on a true story.
Ignorance? Of what? If you are implying that I don't think gay cowboys exist, then that's wrong. I know that there are/were/always will be plenty of them. I'm simply expressing my desire for movie makers not to make movies that feature them.
Set wrote:All I see here is "OMG, gay cowboys! Ew! HEATHENS!!!!one!1!!eleventy!!!1" Did you ever stop and think that maybe the movie might actually be good? If you don't want to see it, then don't go see it, but don't be opening up a completely unnessicary can of worms.
Yes, the movie probably is good. But, I have no intentions of seeing it, and if I feel like it, I'll say why. This is, after all, a forum for discussion, and if I have something to say in regards to this movie, I'm gonna say it.

Furthermore, simply because I say something you don't like hearing doesn't make me ignorant. Sure, maybe the desire to discourage film-makers from messing with classic American archetypes is a conservative view, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

I think people do not understand that this is not a movie about gay cowboys. This movie is about how love should transcend all, but often doesn't. There is so much more to this story than two guys making violent love to each other. This is a story about two men who do not understand the way they feel for each other, who want nothing more than to be like everyone else. They do not label themselves as gay, hell you couldn't even label them bisexual. These are two PEOPLE who loved eachother; deeply; but in thier world they were not allowed to do so. And thus they were not allowed to understand that they loved each other.

I am certain I made no sense.

My MOTHER and I saw this movie twice in the theatres, and you can bet your sweet bippy that we will buy it when it comes out on DVD.

*sigh*

~Snowy
"Valve Radio," the debut cd from Nicole De Fino, is now available for purchase through cdbaby.com: http://www.cdbaby.com/nicoledefino

"There is no 'I' in 'team', there are two in "idiot" though..."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

i'm not going to see it. i'm a bit of a homophobe. it doesn't mean i dislike them, or hate them in any way shape or form. hey each to their own, and i'm all for eqaul rights.

but the idea of doing "it" with another man just creeps me out.
THE GAME

My Armory
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

SnowWalker wrote: I am certain I made no sense.

No, you made perfect sense. I understand what you have said completely, and this isn't the first time I've heard statements like that.

But, that doesn't change the way I feel. Sorry (well, not really, but you know). :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Anubis wrote:i'm not going to see it. i'm a bit of a homophobe. it doesn't mean i dislike them, or hate them in any way shape or form. hey each to their own, and i'm all for eqaul rights.

but the idea of doing "it" with another man just creeps me out.
You just don't want to pay money to see them.

That's all you had to say Anubis. I'm sure there are a lot of things we all have no problem with but would rather not know anything about, and about 90% of the time, it's forgivable.

Just don't try to excuse yourself -- that makes you look bad. Homophobia or any other form of racism is just an indicator of stupidity, but when you try to excuse yourself, it's like saying "I know better, but I'm being stupid anyway."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

sorry, :(

i feel like i'm pissing everybody off lately :(
THE GAME

My Armory
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

Renorei wrote:
SnowWalker wrote: I am certain I made no sense.

No, you made perfect sense. I understand what you have said completely, and this isn't the first time I've heard statements like that.

But, that doesn't change the way I feel. Sorry (well, not really, but you know). :)
I wasn't trying to change the way you feel. I am only trying to explain that this movie is more than just the "gay cowboy movie" that everyone refers to. If anyone is going to dislike this movie, I feel it should be based upon it's merits (or lack thereof, i guess). I do feel that people should wait until seeing the movie until passing judgement about how this movie is just about "two men who screw eachother senseless". But then again, I understand homophobia ...(ok, I don't understand it, but I accept that it's a part of our society. unfortunatly) I do understand that if you are biased against something, then nothing I can say will make you change your opinion. On the other hand, as I've stated before, I'd hate for people to misunderstand what this movie is about because people only know this movie as "the gay cowboy movie.". To sum my paragraph up, I'd just like to say that I don't care if you or anyone else sees this movie or not, but at least don't pass judgement on it unless you have seen it.

Anyway, I hate talking in circles, ... but i'm so good at it :)

~Snowy

(and ps, I'm not calling you (Renorei) a homophobe in my paragraph up there
"Valve Radio," the debut cd from Nicole De Fino, is now available for purchase through cdbaby.com: http://www.cdbaby.com/nicoledefino

"There is no 'I' in 'team', there are two in "idiot" though..."
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Semi-pertinent question here:
What does everyone think of "THAT Scene" in <i>Deliverance</i>?
Now, that was ugly. Saw it once and my guts still churn at the memory.

I like Heath Ledger as an actor, but I probably won't go see the movie. Why? Not because it's about gay cowboys. I heard about the violent sex sequence. I could live my life without seeing that, irregardless of who's catching and who's throwing, and I don't care to be reminded that frustrated love exists in the world. I know it does.

I'm opting to throwing my eight bucks into Nanny McPhee's coffers instead.
ImageImageImageImage
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

...There are so many things I want to say here, but I won't, considering they'll start one hell of an argument, hurt feelings, and require intervention from the mods. Just know that things like this annoy me to no end and I would love nothing more than to verbally (or through text as the case may be) rip you a new one, Renorei.

You could've avoided the ENTIRE mini-spat if you'd just said "Well, it's not my thing, so I'm not going to see it." Would that've killed you?

vrikasatma: I've never seen Deliverance. I don't like sex scenes in general, I think movie makers throw them in there just because they can.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:...There are so many things I want to say here, but I won't, considering they'll start one hell of an argument, hurt feelings, and require intervention from the mods. Just know that things like this annoy me to no end and I would love nothing more than to verbally (or through text as the case may be) rip you a new one, Renorei.

You could've avoided the ENTIRE mini-spat if you'd just said "Well, it's not my thing, so I'm not going to see it." Would that've killed you?

Ok...there was no spat until you came in here and insulted me and my opinions. Don't blame something on me for simply stating how I feel about something. It's unfortunate that it bothered you, but there are a huge number of things that I read in this forum that I feel compelled to argue with, but I don't, because I don't want to cause any flame wars.

I don't know if you're angry with me for my opinions or for stating them (or maybe both), but either way, I don't really think that's fair. True, I could have refrained from posting them and avoided this, but you could have refrained from making harsh comments. However, I do admit a fair portion of the blame rests with me, so I hope that makes you feel somewhat better.

That being said...I don't think I'm going to post anything else about why I don't plan on seeing Brokeback Mountain. As far as the whole cowboy thing goes, the reason why it bothers me is actually far more complex than one would assume. But...like I said, I'm not posting it here. If any of you are curious, you'll have to PM me.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I believe I'm in Renorei's corner on this one. If she doesn't like the idea of a movie about gay cowboys, it is well within her right to say so. I have to say this movie really doesn't appeal to me either.
I don't really care if someone is gay, that's not my decision to make for them, and as long as they don't go into graphic detail about their sex lives to me I'm ok. (actually that goes for my straight friends too)
I just don't like character-driven movies or love stories, period.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:I don't know if you're angry with me for my opinions or for stating them (or maybe both), but either way, I don't really think that's fair.
Both, but it was stating them that bothered me. You're entitled to your opinions but you must remember that freedom of speech works both ways. If you have a right to say something then so do I.