Hair-type

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Hair-type

Post by Morkulv »

Did you know that human hair is the strongest hair on this planet? We just have the strongest hairs of all mammals. It also has a particulair look to it. If I imagine a human with fur, I think the fur looks more 'raw' and less 'shiny' then the fur of a wolf, or something. But also, I think it depends on the person. There are also a lot of people who have really thin hair, so then it would look less like that, I think.

Does this effect the hair in werewolf-form (gestalt)? I think it looks kinda silly when a human being gets a shiny fur (like a normal wolf) when transforming, while in human form he/she has really thick and 'raw' hair (I can't find another way to put it...).

Thoughts?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Hey my hair is shiney! Kinda of... It's probably because I've been jogging and it's sweaty... anyway

I think people who get bit or are born or whatever would start to get thick hair. So it wouldn't look so funny. That could actually be a sign. "Jimmy was going bald until about a week ago, then all of sudden it started to grow back and thicker then before. "
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I think that your hair texture in human form will have an impact on your hair texture in gestalt. For example, I have shiny, soft, voluminous hair, so my gestalt form fur would probably be similar to that. Someone with tight, kinky curls might have a bit of a curl to their fur in gestalt. Someone with naturally oily hair might have matted fur in gestalt. You get the idea.

However, I think that the wolf form's fur should have the normal texture of a wolf.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

yeah.. .what about frizzy haired peopel? do we look liek poodles?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

No, you'd look like a werewolf. With frizzy fur.
Lyco
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lyco »

Eww... if that's the way it would work, then if i ever became a werewolf I could prohably grease a skillet with my head.

It dosen't seem to matter who much I shower, my hair always looks like bacon in the morning.

*shudder* :P
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

:lol: a curly haired werewolf
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Can you imagine a werewolf with dandruff!?! :o

It would snow alot seing that a werewolf is covered in hair. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Pfft. Dandruff? How about a werewolf back in the sixties? AFROS!!

My own personal preference is that the state of hair would transfer over with the fur in the other forms. Though the traits that transfer over would only be the natural stuff. Not like, unnatural colors and other stuff people use on their hair. Though right now I can really see a werewolf with a bright green mohawk....
Boo
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

:shudder: dont get me started.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Obviously, dyed hair wouldn't transfer over.

But, that brings up a point. What would happen to the dyed hair itself? A lycanthropic body, if it bothers reabsorbing hair to prevent mass loss problems with every shift, as well as a bunch of evidence, would probably only tolerate so much toxins and compounds. Therefore, a goth chick with blue hair who shifts will probably shed all that work, and upon resuming human form will not only have to deal with lycanthropy, but also cope with having to redo one's hair all over. Not to mention fingernails, which would likely pop right off with the shift. Yes, that would hurt, but one would be too busy worrying about the teeth, the headache, the spine, and, well, everything else.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

The idea that the hair would get completely sucked back into thier head and completely regrown again fresh every shift does not seem so "OBVIOUS" to me...

...I would find it entirely plausable, (though not certain) that a werewolf with blue dyed hair, or a mohawk would still have some of this remaining in gestalt form...though with the skin of the scalp being strethced and moved around, it's location would get spread around a bit in some pattern, possibly.

...yes, it WOULD look incredibly stupid...which is why werewolves should not have mohawks or dyed hair. Allthough, if one did before being bitten, and did not undo it before thier first shift, the result would surely be quite comical.
:lol:

On the main subject...I have actually noticed that the look, texture and feel of my own human hair is remarkably similar to that of my sisters former-roomates dogs. (While my own dogs hair, on the other hand, feels completely different)

Exept for the extra layers ("Down" hairs and "Guard" hairs) in 'Fur' vs 'Hair', I'm not sure that there would be that much of a difference, so I'm really not sure.

I don't see Dandruf as being a problem for a werewolf in gestalt form, since that is really a condition of wear-and-tear of the scalp, and since much of that, as well as the hair folicles would be renewed/regenerated durring the shift, the scalp would be healthy and not flaking.

...on the other hand...if the person has a history of that, and they stayed in gestalt form for more than 24 hours, maybe something, such as dandruf, could start to develop.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Well, the problem with dandruff is that skin flakes off all the time.
This is a slight problem with mammals, as fur can trap these flakes, like the way dirt and dust get into shag carpeting.
Given as how the majority of humans have very reduced hair growth, the only place where the flakes get trapped (and their presence thus appreciated) is in the hair of the head.
Unless the werewolf spends every waking moment in gestalt or wolf form, I wouldn't think that there would be enough time for an appreciable amount of dandruff to get trapped in his or her fur.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Celtic Kierm
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Celtic Kierm »

In my own opinion, well, I don't really think Brownrigg is going to put people in his movie with green hair or mohawks. I think it would be rather interesting though if the were's fur is the same color as its human hair color, naturally, because that is a trait they inherited. It would also be interesting , like in Goldenwolfs art, if the female werewolves still had hair on their heads, like the ones with long curly hair, they just look really neat like that. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Peter:"There's a message in my alphabets, it says oooooo!"
Brian:"Peter those are Cheerios."
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Fenrir wrote::lol: a curly haired werewolf
:lol:

My point exactly.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari wrote:On the main subject...I have actually noticed that the look, texture and feel of my own human hair is remarkably similar to that of my sisters former-roomates dogs. (While my own dogs hair, on the other hand, feels completely different)
I compared my hair with that of my dog also, and it feels and looks completely different, and thats why I brought this subject up. My dog also has thick hair (for a dog), but my hair is even more thicker and more... 'shaggy' (if you know what I mean). Also, human hair is a lot less... petable. :P If you look close, I think a lot of people have 'shaggy' hair. At least, if you compare it to the hair of a dog.

But maybe its because I have long hair...?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Celtic Keirm:
In my own opinion, well, I don't really think Brownrigg is going to put people in his movie with green hair or mohawks.
The debate is beyond simply what is in Freeborn or its particular timeline, though we continue to offer information to the Brownriggs for their approval, edification, and parousal. The ponderings we're doing here are also for the benefit of those who do plan to go off the deep end and include werewolves with mohawks, or to ponder other what-ifs.

On obviousness:

I didn't mean to say that hair absorption was obvious. Indeed, I was saying that I felt that hair absorption paired with toxins on hair would make for a messy combination. Suppose you were in wolf form and someone shot a big wad of chewing gum in your fur? Or, you got a lot of mud on it? Or, worse yet, splashed you with a bottle of colloidal silver? The body probably would know when to let the hair fall out rather than soaking up all kinds of troublemakers.

Still, the idea of pulling in dyed hair and growing it back out in funky patterns of fur is kind of amusing, even if it throws biology out of whack.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Yes...I agree that, IF hair was completely re-absorbed, then having toxins on the hair, or things tangled in it could certainly be a problem.

...but I was saying that I don't think it is certain that it would happen that way. Maybe only some of the hair would get re-absorbed (through the roots, leaving the tips untouched) or not get absorbed at all but just remain as it is while the skin it's attatched to changes and grows more "temporary" hairs around them or something.

What I meant by "some pattern" was that, when the head changes shape from human face to long wolven muzzle, plus the ears and the general difference in head-shape, the patch of skin that was dirrectly above the ear in human form might get stretched or pulled back up onto the enlarged earlobe itself, or maybe pulled to the back of the head, or forward towards the sides of the face. All of the skin and scalp (and likewise the hairs attacted to it), would likely get pulled around like this a little, I think.

...I'd draw a picture to demostrate what I mean, but I'm not sure if I could really represent it clearly with my incomplete/rusty art skills.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oh cmon, it cant be that hard to draw a simple demonstration.
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:oh cmon, it cant be that hard to draw a simple demonstration.
You try holding a pencil with paws.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

I don't like the idea of hair being reabsorbed, or at least the hair on the head. In my own opinion and world, the dye job or whatever on the hair on the head would remain there, but the rest of the body's fur would be its natural color. Although with the shifting of the different facial features and different areas on the head, the mohawk or whatever would probably end up looking like it got sabatoged or something. Instead of being perfectly straight and sticking up in the air like a wall.
Boo
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

ya I have black curly hair and I think having a afro mane would rock *grab big a** pick* ya baby gota keep looking good (pick pick pick) *pat around mane* yaaaaaa afro mane baby (pick pick pick) or have a dread mane (ya mann love the dreds mann) :lol: Love the fur man love the fur
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Having curly hair does not necessarily mean curly fur. I've seen straight body hair.

But if you do get curly fur...

Errm... don't mind the bottom half...