Pregnant werewolf?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
black-wolf-
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Pregnant werewolf?

Post by black-wolf- »

Ok i dont know if this has been said and done, but this has got me rather curious thinking about it.

lets say a woman was with child and she shifts to WW...would the unborn child shift too? :?

your views and comments are appreciated
Let your wolfen side roam
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think the child will remain a human being. A child isn't a part of the body when a women is pregnant.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i know we did this one, but i'm too lazy to look for it.

but my oppinion that the mother is stuck in one form through out the preganacy so it wont harm the baby. when the baby is born the child is in the same form as its mother was during the pregnacy.
THE GAME

My Armory
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I tend to prefer the "baby shifts with the mother" option.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I'd say the baby would stay human. Not shift.

Though, shifting in the later stages would probably bear the risk of accidentally aborting the pregancy.... :P
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

I think the baby should keep the human form. Other possibilities stand opposite to that a werewolf shifts after puberty the first time.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Curan, if I understood that right, you're saying you'd prefer the baby to keep a human form because you favor shifting after puberty. That's what you meant right?
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Set wrote:Curan, if I understood that right, you're saying you'd prefer the baby to keep a human form because you favor shifting after puberty. That's what you meant right?
Yes that's exactly what I wanted to say. First time shift after puberty concludes keeping human form as baby.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

We've discussed this plenty of times.

I think the overall consensus was that lycanthropic shifts can sometimes be fatal, therefore it'd be unrealistic to think that an unborn child could shift. Something which has been suggested is the possibility that lycanthropy from birth is dormant until puberty. So the kid probably wouldn't shift along with the mother. As for the mother, well. . . Assuming the kid doesn't change but his environment does, he should be alright in a shift to gestalt form, which is still relatively human in terms of the torso, but it might be debatable wether he would be alright in a shift to full wolf form.
Lyco
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lyco »

Aki wrote:I'd say the baby would stay human. Not shift.

Though, shifting in the later stages would probably bear the risk of accidentally aborting the pregancy.... :P
I'd say this method makes the most sence, the unborn child stays in it origenal form, but shifting frequently, or in later stages of pregnancy would endanger it. I don't know much about biology, but when a uterus is getting rearanged THAT much, it would be realistic that it might harm the fragile life inside it.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

I personally am a fan of the "shifts with the mother" approach, even if the baby temporarily loses that ability after being born.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I think the baby should start out somewhere between Gestalt and human form when inside the mothers uterus, and when the baby comes out it slowly reverts back into human.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I think the baby should start out somewhere between Gestalt and human form when inside the mothers uterus, and when the baby comes out it slowly reverts back into human.

At what point of development?

Imagine if the gestalt baby had claws while inside the mother. Think of the consequences when it starts moving around.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Look at puppies when thier born, dont they have paws? So the mother shouldnt have a problem, and plus mabey the claws dont have to be formed yet.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

I think it stays human and too much shifting may even cause the body to re-absorb early stage pregnancies if the mother is unwitting of her condition. It's energy that can be used in a shift, after all.

I do not believe a growing child in the womb should have any ability to shift -- too young, too fragile. Interruptions like that could be devistating to forming body parts. And the shifting mother may find shifting in later stages of pregnancy increasingly uncomfortable and may even initiate early labor if over-doing the shifting. It's safer to stay in one form -- human.

The female body has its delicate points during pregnancy -- too much of anything can ultimately be bad for the baby. Too many variables that may effect a child could also cause it's abort.

And even as hearty as werewolves are I doubt, highly, that pregnancy is easy for them. In fact, due to the somewhat violent, over-exerting, psychoticly rapid metabolism and consumption rate they must have to maintain just themselves, pregnancy would be wickedly diffucult. Werewolves are all ready cataloguing mass calories to make a regular shift -- adding more to the plate to sustain a baby is mind-boggling.

I think that's why it's a rarity -- if it does occur it has to be monitored carefully and the mother more careful than any human mom might have to be simply because she's so much different.

That said, kids born with werewolf in their genes would probably be much-much-much healthier, stronger, faster, and physically more able than the average child.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I agree with Ink.

Shadow Wulf wrote:Look at puppies when thier born, dont they have paws? So the mother shouldnt have a problem, and plus mabey the claws dont have to be formed yet.

Take a good look at the development of a human baby.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/prin ... 002398.htm

Look at Week 36 and Week 37 to 40.

Fingernails!!!

Look whats being talked about here.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Maternal/ ... 36004.html

A puppy may not have claws inside the womb. But a human baby in gestalt form probably could.

Mothers know that human babies needs to have the nails trimmed or have special mittens on so they won't scratch themselves after they are born.

http://www.hypnosishealthcare.com/hintstipsforbaby.html
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Hmmm, such an interesting topic.

Somehow, shapeshifting, no matter how hard we try to rationalize it as a strictly biological event, still seems to have a really powerful mystical or magical component to it.

Sort of like a touch of the divine moon goddess or some such like thing.

Ineffable surely.

And so, when an experienced werewolf 'makes the magic' and shifts, it would feel, in the gut sense, that some really big Mojo is involved. And as such, could easily and naturally be shared with the burgeoning life within. Extended to it as naturally as breathing is to the mother. The developing child does not shift itself. Its mother shifts it, as if it is being borne along upon a deep and wide ocean tide. Yes, perhaps it is some extra burden to carry the unborn infant along for the ride. But, at the same time, the mother is intrinsically sharing her gift with her offspring, in the most intimate possible sense, as they shift across the boundary together, as one. This is not just a matter of biomechanics, it is the very nature of the ancient haritage. For mother and child, are of a kind, now and forever, even after parturition. But for now, they are also in synch.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

well Figarou mabey the nails dont have to be sharp, ever thought of that?
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Shadow Wulf wrote:well Figarou mabey the nails dont have to be sharp, ever thought of that?
Like newly-shifted claws, newly created nails are sharp, as they are not worn down... :wink:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yeah I learned that the hardway with my dog. Sence it is a werewolf. Its likely not to develop nails inside the womb like Figarou said about the puppy. Anyway I just think it would make more sence for the baby to born of a gestalt, you guys said lycanthropy is suppose to be some kind of virus. Well it shure as hell wouldnt seem like a virus if it waits till your 13.
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Yeah I learned that the hardway with my dog. Sence it is a werewolf. Its likely not to develop nails inside the womb like Figarou said about the puppy. Anyway I just think it would make more sence for the baby to born of a gestalt, you guys said lycanthropy is suppose to be some kind of virus. Well it shure as hell wouldnt seem like a virus if it waits till your 13.
I think gestalt would cause...complications. Namely, you can't get the baby delivered in a actual hospital, and well, being a newborn, if it can shift, it won't be able to control it, meaning you got to drag the wife out to a secluded spot until you can birth the kid and he's old enough to get into human form and stay there.

And its not 'some kind of virus', IMO, its a virus-like-thing. Thus it can wait. Not on the actual age, so much as the hormones that start activating during puberty.

Viruses can take a long time to actually manifest symptoms, you can carry some viruses for years and not know you have it, I think AIDs is like that, not sure though. The WW kid would carry the Lycanthropy, he would be infected, but he wouldn't have access to things like shifting. Not yet.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Figarou wrote:A puppy may not have claws inside the womb.
Where in hell did you get that idea from? Puppies are born with claws. I've got the scratches to prove it.
Ink wrote:The female body has its delicate points during pregnancy -- too much of anything can ultimately be bad for the baby. Too many variables that may effect a child could also cause it's abort.
This from the same person who went on and on about how NOT delicate humans are...

Can someone explain to my why a mother shifting would cause an abortion? Give me good, scientific reasons, not bull where the only backing is "well, I don't like it, so there!"

I hate the not shifting until puberty thing with a passion. A fierce, snarly passion. It only adds another level of complication to an already complicated subject. It never seemed logical to me. I feel that kids can shift, therefore unborn babies can shift with the mother, just not on their own.