LCS4 -- need an honest opinion

The place for anything at all...

What should I do?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Empty your account and take the train.
No votes
Believe in the news article and shoot for being the one.
100%

Total votes: 4

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

LCS4 -- need an honest opinion

Post by Terastas »

You've probably heard by now that I've been considering pursuing a career in stand-up -- it's almost the only thing I've been writing for the last four months when offline. However, it's starting to look like if I want to start from the bottom up at Open Mic like I'd originally intended, I have to wait for one of my parents to give me permission to, which I honestly don't think they will. The big promise I keep getting is that I'll get my first shot at it once my mother has had cataract surgery that she needs, but she's been using that as an excuse for a lot of things, so I'm honestly beginning to wonder, not only if she intends to get it, but if she even needs it in the first place.

Therefore, I've been seriously considering applying to be on the next season of Last Comic Standing. This, however, is the dilemma that I need your honest feedback on.

According to NBC's Casting page, the closest Open Call to my location will be in New York on March 7th (I live on the MA shoreline just south of the New Hampshire border). So, needless to say, if I was going to attend the Open Call, I would need to set aside a good chunk of my surviving college fund to train fare and the entire day to getting there and back.

On the other hand, according to Reality TV World (among other sources), would-be comedians will also be allowed to submit video entries which will be voted on at NBC.com at a later time. The first big dilemma with the online video audition is that I'm not 100% sure there will be one since NBC.com doesn't have an online application for LCS available like they do for their other reality TV shows. More importantly, if the RTVWorld article is correct, there will only be one video submission accepted, meaning my chances would be significantly slimmer. . . Though it would cost substantially less.

But then again, I am a Furry, a community which exists almost entirely online. I've seen CBS get through-the-roof ratings by bashing furries because we all tuned in to find out how bad it was going to be, so I honestly think that if word got around to the community just like it did for the CSI episode and the community was willing to support one of their own, with the right routine (which I believe I have), I could be that one. Plus, if I could get on via the online viewers instead of three talent scouts, that would be one hell of a confidence boost for me.

So this is what I need your help deciding on. Should I either:

A) Scrape together the necessary funds and plan a trip to New York.

B) Believe in the community (and myself) and wait for the application.

BTW, if I attend the Open Call, I'm looking at figures in the $250 range. If that's what I do, I won't have a whole lot left afterwards.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

don't do it, if you take the train for a one in a million chance. well its not smart, if its a sure thing then i'll say go for it. you could be threwing away your future for something that could not happen. if your going to be an comedian don't take the easy way it would be a whole lot more fullfilling if you come out on top on your own skill and hard work. so i say
B) Believe in the community (and myself) and wait for the application.
like that guy says, that is in most of Adam Sandler's movies "You can do it Nicky!!" :howl:  :oo
(i know your name is not nicky so chill)
THE GAME

My Armory
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

I agree with Anubis. In my opinion, unless you're really confident in believing that you'll go onto the next round through Open Call, it'd be more smart, as well as more financially smart, to just send in a video and hope.
Boo
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, I have a question. If you happen to end up not being able to go to college in the upcoming semesters, will that really be the end of the world? Couldn't you just take a few off and then go back later once you've saved up some funds?

The answer to this question will determine my answer to your original question. If you don't mind skipping a little college, I'd say take the train-ride and audition in person and send in a video. Increase your chances. If, however, you don't want to miss out on any semesters at college, go with the video option.

However, you will need a gameplan if you go this route. As soon as you've made up your mind (if you choose to go the video route) immediately join as many furry/therian internet forums as you can. Build up at least some rapport with the members, as I doubt they will appreciate it if you post once to plug your own entry.

Also...another problem that you are going to run into is your ethnicity/race. If I remember correctly, you are a white guy. White males are currently the most unfairly treated members of our society. Even in the event that all of the funniest contestants happen to be white, you can bet for certain that this doesn't necessarily mean they'll all get to compete. Gotta be fair and balanced, you know. Anyway, I realize that's not really relevant, but I just want you to be prepared for that. As much as I hate to say it, it probably will happen.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Renorei wrote:Well, I have a question. If you happen to end up not being able to go to college in the upcoming semesters, will that really be the end of the world? Couldn't you just take a few off and then go back later once you've saved up some funds?

The answer to this question will determine my answer to your original question. If you don't mind skipping a little college, I'd say take the train-ride and audition in person and send in a video. Increase your chances. If, however, you don't want to miss out on any semesters at college, go with the video option.
Right now, going to college is something I'd like to do eventually, but I'm not too picky about when. To me right now, a degree is something I need to get so I can find a good job, but if I can get a good job in writing or entertainment without a degree, it won't be high on my to do list anymore.

I'm pretty sure, however, that I can't attend an Open Call and shoot a video. I imagine they'll have enough entries as is without people applying twice.
However, you will need a gameplan if you go this route. As soon as you've made up your mind (if you choose to go the video route) immediately join as many furry/therian internet forums as you can. Build up at least some rapport with the members, as I doubt they will appreciate it if you post once to plug your own entry.
I'm not sure about that. I think it would look pretty tacky to plug my Internet video as a first post -- it'd be like the posters here that used their first post to ask for a part in Freeborn. What I was actually thinking I could do is just post at the forums I'm already known at and anybody that likes it will post about it at their respective forums. When the CSI episode "Fur & Loathing" was scheduled, one forum I frequent got six or seven different warning threads about it before the episode first aired. I'd by no means be relying exclusively on furry -- the two routines I'm thinking of (will use one or the other depending how much time I'm allowed for the audition) should be pretty universal. I just think it would give me an edge.
Also...another problem that you are going to run into is your ethnicity/race. If I remember correctly, you are a white guy. White males are currently the most unfairly treated members of our society. Even in the event that all of the funniest contestants happen to be white, you can bet for certain that this doesn't necessarily mean they'll all get to compete. Gotta be fair and balanced, you know. Anyway, I realize that's not really relevant, but I just want you to be prepared for that. As much as I hate to say it, it probably will happen.
That's true to some extent. Minorities are more easily recognized, and being a member of a minority does provide said comedian some additional subject material (Dat Phan won by telling nothing but Vietnamese jokes), but just having a unique appearance (Ralphie May, Jay London, etc.) can help out as well. As for me, well. . . I have a 100% all-natural afro, so I think I'd stand out just as well as they did. :grinp:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: That's true to some extent. Minorities are more easily recognized, and being a member of a minority does provide said comedian some additional subject material (Dat Phan won by telling nothing but Vietnamese jokes), but just having a unique appearance (Ralphie May, Jay London, etc.) can help out as well. As for me, well. . . I have a 100% all-natural afro, so I think I'd stand out just as well as they did. :grinp:

I've always wanted to be a stand-up comedian. Thing is, you have to be carefull what you say. Sure, its funny that Dat Phan was telling Vietnamese jokes. But what does the Vietnamese think of him? Paul Rodriguez is a mexican comedian. And I have a few mexican friends that hates his guts.

Imagine an American telling American jokes. He wouldn't last long here in America if he made fun of the people that happens to be sitting in the audience.

I've noticed some comedians talk about themselves. Or talk about what happened in their life. Thats the safest way of preventing someone, or a group of people from hating you.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Figarou wrote:Imagine an American telling American jokes. He wouldn't last long here in America if he made fun of the people that happens to be sitting in the audience.
Then why do some of the "Def Comedy Jam" type comedians have so many fans? I've heard them make fun of so many people, yet they're still so damn popular...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Set wrote:
Figarou wrote:Imagine an American telling American jokes. He wouldn't last long here in America if he made fun of the people that happens to be sitting in the audience.
Then why do some of the "Def Comedy Jam" type comedians have so many fans? I've heard them make fun of so many people, yet they're still so damn popular...

Of course they are popular. But are they popular with the people they are making fun of?

That was my point.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Hmm. . . Two things:

1) You can usually get away with making fun of Americans because we're so diverse in nature. It'd be difficult to get away with telling, say, redneck jokes anywhere in the Bible Belt, or gay jokes anywhere in New England, but "Americans" in general are fair game, especially if you're one yourself.

2) For every one man that's offended, there are ten men laughing hysterically. Sure, Dat Phan's mother must not have appreciated him imitating her live on TV, but he won, didn't he? It's actually pretty hard to offend more people than you entertain. So far I've only seen two people accomplish that: The Amazing Racist, who tormented live minorities in bad taste, and John Cleese for his "revocation of America" letter, which basically knocked American society as a whole for not being British enough. As long as you don't put yourself on a pedestal, you can usually get away with only offending people that want to be offended.

In fact, sometimes playing it safe can be a big turn-off. You're supposed to sound funny, not scared of offending someone, and true as it is with most things in life, if you try to please everyone, you'll be lucky if you can please anyone.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Terastas wrote:
I'm not sure about that. I think it would look pretty tacky to plug my Internet video as a first post -- it'd be like the posters here that used their first post to ask for a part in Freeborn. What I was actually thinking I could do is just post at the forums I'm already known at and anybody that likes it will post about it at their respective forums. When the CSI episode "Fur & Loathing" was scheduled, one forum I frequent got six or seven different warning threads about it before the episode first aired. I'd by no means be relying exclusively on furry -- the two routines I'm thinking of (will use one or the other depending how much time I'm allowed for the audition) should be pretty universal. I just think it would give me an edge.
I think you misunderstood my post. ??

I wasn't suggesting that you randomly go to furry forums and post about your entry, without having any prior rapport with the members. That would be not only rude, but ineffective.

(That is why I suggested making sure that your post about your video entry wasn't your first post...but, if you don't want to join any more furry forums, then it's a moot point anyway.)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I believe in taking risks, but calculated risks. I believe in investing money, not emptying your bank account on lottery tickets. It sounds like the train option is too much the later.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...