How rare are werewolves?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Well, I wasn't thinkng of coming out of them. I was thinking about them expanding to accommodate the new bulk. One problem is that, if you have things like car keys or a wallet in your pants and you shred them shifting, what do you do with the stuff in your pockets? Werewolf or no - losing your car keys is irritating as heck.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Well, I wasn't thinkng of coming out of them. I was thinking about them expanding to accommodate the new bulk. One problem is that, if you have things like car keys or a wallet in your pants and you shred them shifting, what do you do with the stuff in your pockets? Werewolf or no - losing your car keys is irritating as heck.

Easy solution. Don't bring them with you. :wink:
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Well, if you don't drive, but I gotta think that you'd sooner or later want to drive somewhere and then shift. There's ways of dealing with it. There're those magnetic cases you can put your keys in and stick them under the car. Werewolves could carry pouches or use back packs.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Well, if you don't drive, but I gotta think that you'd sooner or later want to drive somewhere and then shift. There's ways of dealing with it. There're those magnetic cases you can put your keys in and stick them under the car. Werewolves could carry pouches or use back packs.

Oh please!! I don't want to see a big male werewolf with those funny little pouches around their waist.

Ahhhhhh! Get it off me!!! :lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Yeah....I think we can do without underwear as well.....I mean that's what the fur is for.... :wink:
this is what I was referring to.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =3593#3593
Even elastic has it's limits..... :wink:
How much bigger is the werewolf going to be? Don't tell me his waistline will be as broad as his shoulders. No way. That will be an odd looking werewolf. :wink:
Really depends on how big he is.....a 9 foot werewolf isn't going to fit in many clothes....but it is a mute point, they do not need underwear, especially if they know they are going to be shifting soon.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: Really depends on how big he is.....a 9 foot werewolf isn't going to fit in many clothes....but it is a mute point, they do not need underwear, especially if they know they are going to be shifting soon.
Oh really? Try wearing jeans without it. Underwear provides comfort and protection. If your....um.....skin gets caught in the zipper, you'll be howling in pain!!!

I can't believe we're having a discussion on underwear!! :lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: Really depends on how big he is.....a 9 foot werewolf isn't going to fit in many clothes....but it is a mute point, they do not need underwear, especially if they know they are going to be shifting soon.
Oh really? Try wearing jeans without it. Underwear provides comfort and protection. If your....um.....skin gets caught in the zipper, you'll be howling in pain!!!

I can't believe we're having a discussion on underwear!! :lol:
I've tried cutting this line of discussion off but it seems to have a life of it's own..... :lol:

Besides I never wear jeans....to constricting. I like something loose that's easy to get out of in a hurry..... :shift:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Well, as for me, the velcro thing I was talking about are for pants and shirts....like those wrap around deck pants that are very baggy but wrap around the legs when you need a tighter fit.
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

My GOD! I leave for one weekend and this is what you guys do... :D

Underwear...sheesh... If a werewolf plans on shifting they would most likely take clothes off before hand...

BUT if they did not have time to do that...heheh.... maybe you are right about the elastic waistband.... :lol:
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Okay, okaaaaay. I'll get off the underwear thing and get back on topic.

How rare are Werewolves? Best I can tell, there is really only one answer to that.........it's according to how long you cook them.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I don't think they would be very common. I would say, no more than 3-10 packs per continent, plus a few hundred "Lone Wolves" Worldwide.

As for how many members would exist per pack, that is hard to say. 3 would certainly make sense as a minimum to be considered a "pack". As far as maximum...I'd say 15 if they are trying to live among normal, unaware humans.

However, I could also see how entire colonys or even a small city could be composed entirely of Werewolves in some ingnored or avoided corner of the world.
hwlwnk
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Darkmoon wrote:My GOD! I leave for one weekend and this is what you guys do... :D
yup yup!! :lol:
Darkmoon wrote:Underwear...sheesh... If a werewolf plans on shifting they would most likely take clothes off before hand...

BUT if they did not have time to do that...heheh.... maybe you are right about the elastic waistband.... :lol:
Thats "IF" the werewolf has time to take of the clothes. But like I said, if he decides to shift and rip through his clothes, everything will fall off but the underwear.

I hope they do add this scene in the movie. It will be so funny!!

I can see a scene where the guy is about to terrify a woman. He changes into a werewolf right in front of her. Instead of her screaming, she is laughing at him. The werewolf is puzzled as to why she is laughing. He looks down at himself and sees the underwear hasn't ripped like the other clothing. Its just stretched out. :lol:
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Well, if its a women, it could also add to the embarrassment that he's now tenting.
:shock:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Okay guys, this is ridiculous. This thread has 20+ replies, the majority of which are discussing werewolves and clothing, which we already have multiple topics discussing.

So here's a question to get it back on topic:

Would there be more packs in a metropolitan area and fewer in a rural area, or vice versa?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I would think that there would be more packs in rural areas than metropolitan areas, if only because less attention is paid in rural areas.
Some people would like other people to think that everyone in the cities are rapacious, all-consuming drones who ignore everything and everyone that doesn't directly concern them, thus enabling them to stick a pack of man-eating beasts in the very heart of some giant city, and have no one know about them.
I don't think that that's very realistic. I mean, even if all the victims were transient bums, people would still take notice of something that was going about, leaving bloody, savaged corpses in its wake, right?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: Would there be more packs in a metropolitan area and fewer in a rural area, or vice versa?

Where is all the action at? In the metropolitan area. Thats why the metropolitan areas have so many humans. You can't do much in the rural areas. No malls. movie houses, carnivals, ETC. If werewolves keep to their human side, then they want to have fun once in a while. You'll see more in the metropolitan areas.

If werewolves keep to their wolf side, then the rural areas is where you'll find them. You won't find as many rural werewolves as the city dwelling ones.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

At first thought, I would say rural, but I think maybe that might be personal bias talking.

Fact is, cities tend to concentrate social units into smaller spaces. They can't range as far because there's too much in the way, so I suspect that Werewolves would range a lot further in rural areas, hold larger territories, and be less dense.

If this movie is going to portray Werewolves in a more positive light, there should be less of the mutilation going on that would draw attention in the cities.

Also, it opens up te possibility of a story line that I find particularly intriguing that has been done in novels but never (to my knowledge) in a movie, either in this or a sequel.

That being the rogue Werewolf that threatens to draw too much attention to the Community.
netherwurm
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by netherwurm »

A werewolf would probably have a more animalistic nature to it and so i think they would move as close to nature as they can. Still you might have some "lone wolves" that stay in the cities, and maybe even a pack or two. So there would be more in the rural areas and less in the metropolitan areas. Im sure over the years that they have perfected the art of hiding in plain sight when necessary.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

I would say countryside, cities have too much noise and pollution in them, an animal with sensitive hearing, sight and smell would shy away from these things. Some zoos in cities often need sight and sound buffers to keep the animals happy there. If you want an example of werewolves in the city though read The Wolfen by Whitley Streiber, don't watch the movie even though it is good....it doesn't have the narration parts by the werewolves.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

WolfVanZandt wrote:At first thought, I would say rural, but I think maybe that might be personal bias talking.

Fact is, cities tend to concentrate social units into smaller spaces. They can't range as far because there's too much in the way, so I suspect that Werewolves would range a lot further in rural areas, hold larger territories, and be less dense.
*nods* This is what I'm going to have to agree the most with. Rural environments seem more appropriate as settings for movies like this, but realistically, humans are social by nature; the fewer people there are living in an area, the more familiar everyone will be with their neighbors. There'd be less of a chance of a fluke encounter between a local and a shifted werewolf, but inevitably one of the werewolf's neighbors would take some interest in their occassional midnight strolls.
Inevitably, the neighbor himself will either go in for a closer look, or gossip it to someone who will, which could eventually lead to exposure. The other problem with a rural environment is that everyone indrectly knows everyone. The werewolf might not know everyone in town, but everyone he doesn't know probably knows one of his friends. If whoever saw him shapeshift could describe his human form even vaguely, it wouldn't take much for someone else to give everyone the werewolf's name and address.

That's not to say a werewolf pack couldn't live in a rural environment; just that it would be harder to keep a secret in one. I could picture a single town holding a meeting and coming to the conclusion that they shouldn't tell any out-of-towners about the neighborhood werewolves, but there's no way a werewolf pack could live in a small town without a few people knowing. By that definition, a small town could be the ideal location for a werewolf pack or two, but only if they could earn the trust of the people before the secret gets out.

Metropolitan areas, on the other hand, could be ideal in a more one-size-fits-all kind of way. The large numbers tend to force people to be impersonal and pay less attention to their surroundings, and though they attract a lot of people, they still have areas that go unnoticed. A werewolf could hide in a dark alleyway, for example, and though a lot of people might catch a glimpse of him, they'd either keep walking and wonder quietly to themselves what they saw or stop for a closer look but get run into by the person walking behind them before they could get one.
Also, the whole city is active in the daytime, but in some cases, the commercial and industrial districts can be pretty desolate at night, which could be the werewolf's hangout for when he's in wereform.
Of course, with a greater population comes a greater risk of being seen, but the werewolf sighting might go unreported because, in a metropolitan area, the person that spotted the werewolf will know fewer people and, as such, trust fewer people, and therefore may presume nobody will believe him, and even if he did report the sighting, there would be an even slimmer chance that he would be able to tell the authorities where to find said werewolf.
Obviously, if the werewolf or werewolf pack is careless with their anonyminity, they will be in serious trouble, but at the very least, living in a metropolitan area wouldn't require a lot of commitment.

*shrugs* So I could sort of make a case for either. The ideal situation would be when a rural community can be swayed to accept (or at least tolerate) the werewolf pack(s), but a metropolitan setting would in general be more secure.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Thanks so much Terastas for getting this silly pack back on track ooooo i made a rhyme.

I think werewolves are very rare in some parts of the world as compared to others. Would different parts of the world have a different breed of werewolf like a manned wolf perhaps in south america or wild dog weres in africa?
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Darth Canis wrote:Thanks so much Terastas for getting this silly pack back on track ooooo i made a rhyme.

I think werewolves are very rare in some parts of the world as compared to others. Would different parts of the world have a different breed of werewolf like a manned wolf perhaps in south america or wild dog weres in africa?
WW:tA had werewild-dog packs in africa, and werecoyotes, werehyenas, werefoxes, and a bunch of other shapeshifter species as well. The maned wolf isn't really a wolf anyway it's more related the fox I think. There may be other shapeshifters but for the purposes of this film I think we need to focus on just werewolves for now. Anyway I think werewolves would be the more numerous than any other shifter anyway.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

Sorry if I'm digging up a dead topic, but I like the question.

I personally agree with Vuldari as far as frequency goes - werewolves would be RARE, much less than one in a million. Only because wolves are social animals and would probably seek eachother out would you have packs at all, and the numbers would probably be few overall. I think it grounds the storyies in reality more, and suspension of disbelief. Once someone becomes a werewolf it would't be like Oh! Look at this big secret underworld society I've been missing out on! It would be something special and unheard/unbelieved of. A few others out there close enough to share your secret with.

As far as environments, I think the IDEAL locations would be cities of a decent size, say 30,000 - 100,000 people, that are close to a rural area (say 10-20 miles). There are places in Texas - aside from Dallas and Houston, places like Austin or other university towns that are removed enough from the metroplex to have a surrounding woodland area that they could easily get to to hunt game or run free, but also big enough that one person's actions aren't going to be noticed, and plenty of people to socialize with.
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

True pure blooded werewolves are extremly rare now adays. al we have in this age is posers wanna bes and lycanthropes.(mental disorder). The few real werewolves arent going to jump up and say hi.
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
Wereman13
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

New Here

Post by Wereman13 »

Howls all new here just askin wat you've got in this conversation so i can add to it :?