Trapped in Form?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
CrypticIdentity
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Trapped in Form?

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Sort of an idea brought about by Animorphs overdose... Can a werewolf get trapped in one of its forms? Or, to word it another way, is there anyway for a werewolf to be prevented from transforming back into human from wolf or vice versa? Also, consider the implications: If trapped in wolf form for some interim, people might go looking for them, they might lose their job... And the alternative--what would it be like for a long-time werewolf to not be able to shift?
If I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see...
Said if I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see!
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think so, i like to think that anatomy is like the mechanics of a car. things break down for one thing or another, like lack of propper mainance, the use, how old it is and even the condition it was made in.

in the world i made for WOLF, a cancer infects a team member's Metaglads and has to remove it, now he can't TF. why? the Meteglands make a hormone that tells the body what form to shift to. no metaglands, no hormone, no TF, but he can TF by synthetic hormones via syringe.

also a werewolf can get too old, you know arthirtis and it's too pianful to TF or it get harder for them

or there could be a some kind of werewolf disease that has that kind of effect on them.
THE GAME

My Armory
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Anubis wrote: in the world i made for WOLF, a cancer infects a team member's Metaglads and has to remove it, now he can't TF. why? the Meteglands make a hormone that tells the body what form to shift to. no metaglands, no hormone, no TF, but he can TF by synthetic hormones via syringe.

also a werewolf can get too old, you know arthirtis and it's too pianful to TF or it get harder for them

or there could be a some kind of werewolf disease that has that kind of effect on them.
You mean like cancer of the Pituitary gland (aka "the master gland" that tells the other glands what to do)?

I figure that if a werewolf spends too much time in one form (ie, weeks at a time), whether by choice or by circumstance, he or she would find shifting back into other forms would be difficult.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

no i'm talking about a gland thats entirely unique to the werewolf or in my story world the Ry'ou. its connected to the brain so it can conchiously TF

((damn it!! i can't spell to save my own life!!))
THE GAME

My Armory
Alpha
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Re: Trapped in Form?

Post by Alpha »

CrypticIdentity wrote: Can a werewolf get trapped in one of its forms? Or, to word it another way, is there anyway for a werewolf to be prevented from transforming back into human from wolf or vice versa?

The only way I see this happening is if something is deliberately done to interfere with with the hormones during the shift. This was shown in both of the Underworld films. 1st was when Lucian told Michael that he was given an enzyme shot to prevent his shifting. In Evolution, when Selene and Michael came upon that dead Lycan still in its werewolf form, Michael commented on how he always thought that Lycans would revert to their human form upon death. Selene responded by saying that it was because it had been given a shot (most likely the same kind that was given to Michael).
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

It would be a great storyline/plot twist! :evil: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Anubis wrote: in the world i made for WOLF, a cancer infects a team member's Metaglads and has to remove it, now he can't TF. why? the Meteglands make a hormone that tells the body what form to shift to. no metaglands, no hormone, no TF, but he can TF by synthetic hormones via syringe.

You mean like cancer of the Pituitary gland (aka "the master gland" that tells the other glands what to do)?

I figure that if a werewolf spends too much time in one form (ie, weeks at a time), whether by choice or by circumstance, he or she would find shifting back into other forms would be difficult.

Yup.

Just like the zipper being stuck on your furry costume. :wink:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think thats not possible. I think becoming a werewolf is a reaction in some kind of rage. And soon or later, you have to cool down. So I don't think it can get 'trapped' in werewolf-form.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

it would be possible, but only under special cercumstance. (such as the thing with the shots, or some kind of disease or disorder...) I dont think it would happen from spending too much time in or out of a form...
Age might affect difficulty, but it would take alot to fully prevent it.
Also, one could be blocked from shifting psychologically...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Id go with the shot aswell, they have all sorts of chemicals now a days that they are likely to have toxin that interferes with the hormones and shifting, also in Underworld the death dealers use a kind silver bullet(no not the liquid silver) that prevents the werewolf from shifting aswell, it is also possible that if a werewolf remains in beast form for a really long time then it will become more and more difficult to revert cause the body is use to the beast form, but a week is not much, Id say about 2 or 3 weeks, then it will start becoming a challenge.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Re: Trapped in Form?

Post by Set »

Alpha wrote:The only way I see this happening is if something is deliberately done to interfere with with the hormones during the shift.
Timber-WoIf wrote:it would be possible, but only under special cercumstance. (such as the thing with the shots, or some kind of disease or disorder...) I dont think it would happen from spending too much time in or out of a form...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Undoubtedly, there are ways in which it is possible to prevent a werewolf from shifting, by any of the ways mentioned above and probably plenty more. I would give a more thorough post, but pretty much everything I would have said has been covered.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Mine have a much better chance of getting stuck in wolf form than human form.

Mine shift through a distributed system that isn't easily disabled by damage to any one specific endocrine organ or CNS nucleus. Usually, shifting problems are psychological in nature.

My lead character sometimes dreams he's stuck in wolf form or shifting uncontrollably in public. It's the werewolf equivalent of the naked dream. He shifts in his sleep and then in the dream becomes aware of his wolf form's body.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

The only way i'd accept a werewolf having trouble shifting back to human if spent too much time in wolf form is if it applied both ways. (if he spent too long in human form hed have trouble shifting to wolf)
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I think it'd be difficult or impossible for an average, healthy werewolf to be stuck in human form without outside influence (some kind of inoculation as has been mentioned, etc). Full moon comes around and it's like the body "remembers" it's capabilities. Whether they actually shift or not depends on level of control (or lack of it) but the presence of the full moon is like an outside push to get the ball rolling down a steep hill.

I'm not doubtful about how a werewolf could be stuck in wolf form or at least have difficulty in changing back from a wolf after spending too much time as one, but I'm just speculating as to why that would be. Do they forget how to change back? Do the instincts gradually take over until they forget they once were human? Does the mind just sort of "settle" into the body so that after such a long time without some kind of transformation stimulus they're stuck?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I know we've covered this possibility before, but I couldn't find the thread.

I couldn't find the thread, but I remember at least these two suggestions:

1) A werewolf may choose to live out an extended period of time -- even the remainder of their life -- in a form other than human. It may be possible that after living for so long in an alternative form, they may not only forget how to shift, but possibly even what it was like to be human in the first place.

2) Since shifting is presumed painful, excessive shifting could result in numerous stress-related illnesses or injuries, some of which could hinder or cripple a werewolf's ability to shift, especially those affecting the brain.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I loved Animorphs! And I've always also played with the idea of being trapped in forms, both Gestalt and wolf form.

And yeah, I always sort of thought if a shifter wanted to, they could live out their lives in wolf form. Some stories say they should revert to human form in the morning, or more often. Others don't. Depends where you go really and what you read. There'd be issues associated with staying in the wolf form; urges to revert back to another life, oddities in behaviour at times. Whether they could actually ever successfully join a pack; and breeding wouldn't work, a wolf with a werewolf? How would that come off?

Is there a thread on that I'd like to read it.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Chibiabos
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Chibiabos »

You know, we have some impossible possibilities, especially if you go by a full moon thing ... what if a werewolf in human form became an astronaut and went to the moon? Yeah I know not in this movie, but ya gotta wonder ... would they transform, instead, with a "full Earth" in the sky? heh.

Anyway, abck to this, I think it'd be interesting if depression or something similar might trap a werewolf in a form, if keeping healthy in spirit is as essential to their livelihoods as keeping healthy in body (and their existence a secret). Maybe they have no choice but to keep their spirit happy, whatever it takes ...
CanisLupus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: it's so cute... AAAHHHHHHH!!!

Post by CanisLupus »

I think that, if trapped on gestalt/wolf forms, the ww may will have a very deep psicologic damage. I mean, you born as a human, lived all your live as human, lived with another humans... and now you are a wolf, or a mix of wolf and human. Seeing theirselfes in this state permanently may make people mad. Unless the guy enjoys it.
huh?
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

I am thinking in the lines of a psychological trauma. What if the WW after his first shift, or after realizing the fact that he must remain hidden from society for the rest of his life, or even maybe after he has to kill a human (hunter or just someone who discover his secret). Maybe his brain could block his werewolf part including his own realization that he is a WW and of course, his shifting ability.

This would depend on how much the shift can be triggered by the brain, or triggered by some hormone without the brain interaction. If the shift is controlled or initiated by the brain, then it could be possible for the brain to avoid shifting what so ever.

This could go the other way around too. Maybe after a terrible massacre, this particular WW would disregard his human part and remain in Gestalt or Wolf form the remainder of his life.
Howling Werewolf
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I picture shifting becoming less painful over a fairly short time. My werewolves are a lot healthier if they do shift frequently. Those who try to suppress it and not shift are the ones who have health problems.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Chibiabos wrote:You know, we have some impossible possibilities, especially if you go by a full moon thing ... what if a werewolf in human form became an astronaut and went to the moon? Yeah I know not in this movie, but ya gotta wonder ... would they transform, instead, with a "full Earth" in the sky? heh.
It probably has more to do with the gravitational pull between the Earth and the moon and/or the way light reflects off of the moon and through the Earth's atmosphere than anything special about the moon itself. We had another thread concerning why the full moon is responsible, and while we didn't really finalize anything, it was brought up that a full moon has been proven to have psychological affects and that the moon influences the tides and, since the human body is predominantly water, it could influence us as well.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

(Off topic)wait a minute! if thats true then a werewolf would TF once every six hours with the tides because that when the moon is closest to an area. and what about evolutionary wise what sort of event(s) that could bring an involintary TF when a full moon hangs up in the sky?
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Anubis has a point thier Terastas. Boy thats gotta suck having to worry about TFing twice a day, you would have no life.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

Hmm...
What about some sort of a silver collar (forcibly) put on the werewolf's neck in human form. Wouldn't that slice into their neck if they tried to TF?
Eat more tobasco.