Tightlacing: Waist Training Opinions

The place for anything at all...
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Tightlacing: Waist Training Opinions

Post by Ink »

I just wanted a general opinion of what you people think of tightlacing.

"Tightlacing
(also called corset training and waist training) is the practice of wearing a tightly-laced corset to achieve extreme modifications to the figure and posture and experience the sensations of a very tight corset." Wikipedia's Article on Tightlacing & Tightlacers

Now, for some background - I really love corsets. I love the feeling of body shapers, cinchers, and corsets. I've only recently thought of actually taking my love of body shapers and whatnot to a higher, customary level and coughing up real money for something not mass produced.

A lot of people harbor some ill thought towards corset trainers, foot trainers (not like Chinese footbinding), and neck-corsets (both for neck elogation and posture holders). Body modification is understandably stressful, sometimes thought of as gross, and culturally, rather than naturally, inspired.

There is the feminine controversy but, honestly, I am not the kind of woman who thinks that free floating cleavage and frumpy fupas ("Fat Upper Pubic Area") is really all that attractive OR comfortable. In fact, I hate both locations on my body so being able to shape it is something a bit exciting to me - I like the security of corsets.

There can be health risks and decided troubles that any body modification can assume... But the fact is that, if done right, it can be a pleasant experience.

Beyond all that information and "to-each-their-own" answer these questions for me:
  • How do you feel about tightlacing?
  • How do you think a woman with a wasp waist, slick hourglass figure looks?
  • Do you think the controversy is merely ideology of feminists?
  • Do you think the trend of tightlacing is embodied by the old fashioned minded?
    Etc...
To me, tightlacing is exotic, sensual and beautiful when done right and to the moderation that it doesn't become reckless. The first time I saw a girl moderately tightlaced was gorgeous. She was about 24" waist but it melded beautifully to present a gorgeous S figure.

Before I take the dive into one more of my projects I want to see how other people view tightlacing to suppliment the curious in me.

So, whatcha think?

Last edited by Ink on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Tightlacing: Waist Training Opinions

Post by Renorei »

Ink wrote:How do you feel about tightlacing?
I am the kind of person who feels that most of the problems that people have with their body can be corrected by proper exercise. For example, breasts can be made perkier by pectoral exercises. And, while it's impossible to pick which areas of your body you lose weight in, the appearance of a particularly fatty area can be improved by toning.

Anyway, I only mention that because I wanted to explain why I'm not really a fan of things like body modifications and cosmetic surgery and the like.

So, while tightlacing certainly isn't for me, I can still understand why one would be interested in doing it, whether you're doing it simply because you like the way it feels, or because you appreciate the effects it leaves on your body. My thoughts on such body modifications can basically be summed up like this: As long as you truly enjoy it and you aren't seriously hurting yourself, then go right ahead. Note that this excludes things like Chinese footbinding, because the effects gained don't justify the permanent physical damage (of course, one could argue that this is merely my opinion...but...I think common sense would say otherwise).
Ink wrote:How do you think a woman with a wasp waist, slick hourglass figure looks?
Taken to extremes (such as the woman in the photo in the wikipedia article) I think it looks very VERY UNATTRACTIVE. But, in moderation, I think it could look really pretty. It's all about proportions. A waist that could look perfect on one girl could look far too small on another. Be sure that you keep in mind your own body's proportions, and what would look good for you, and not just a goal number that you have in mind.
Ink wrote:Do you think the controversy is merely ideology of feminists?
While I agree with many of the ideas of feminists, I strongly DISAGREE with many others. I am sure that a great portion of the controversy is due to feminists, but I think a lot of it comes from the health community and the same kind of people who believe that you should 'play the hand you're dealt', at least as it comes to your body.
Ink wrote:Do you think the trend of tightlacing is embodied by the old fashioned minded?
That would depend on why one is tightlacing...if you are tightlacing because you are trying to look good for a man, then that is most definitely old-fashioned minded, and just plain stupid.

If, however, a woman is tightlacing for HERSELF, because SHE likes it, then that's very modern minded, and probably more feminist-minded than most feminists seem to realize.

Anyway, good luck with your next project, and just don't take it to extremes and make sure you don't hurt yourself.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Thanks for the feedback! Very much so appreciated.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Sorry, I didin't see this at first. :(

I'm a very opened minded girl. I "live and let live" but when asked, I will give it my thoughts.
# How do you feel about tightlacing?
Well, I think its a little risky. I never seen it as being necessary but almost everything isn't nessercy (Only food, water, shelter, air, and cloths are REALLY nessercy in this world) so it will live on. Though I don't see it as being nessasery, that don't mean I'm againist it. Its an intresting lifestyle and the way I see it, no-one is getting really hurt here but some overly self-absorbed feminists so I don't see why its a thing to worry about.

To be honest, I think this is mainly about the will of becoming the "perfect" slim girl. Though its kinda sad that is done to make girls feels better about themself, I don't really see why not.
# How do you think a woman with a wasp waist, slick hourglass figure looks?
Fake, because thats not a real woman. I'm not a feminists (in fact, I wish some of them would go away) but the idea of an hour glass waist isn't real. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. There is guys out there who finds this rather erotic. In fact it plays against the natural instinct of males. To find a woman with large hips and breast to raise young and since tightlacing enhance the look of that, it turns some guys on.
# Do you think the controversy is merely ideology of feminists?
Yeah because I don't see anything wrong with it. They can't go about telling people how to live. If woman wants to be a tightlacer then let her. I can see is it was like those woman in the jungle who wore rings around there neck (to lazy to look them up) to make them longer and it was killing them because their necks would snap if they were taken off but I don't see tightlancers dropping like flys and you aren't hurting anyone so...you know.
# Do you think the trend of tightlacing is embodied by the old fashioned minded?
COMPLETELY! 100% so. Like I said before, it triggers the primal instinct of a man. I know most minds these days are triggered for sex but man will always have the animal in them so spot that.

In Medieval times, "bigger" woman was the hot spot mainly because of there wide "birth giving" hips. Then the 17th century rolled along and the corsets was invented, enhancing the image of the "naturl" mind. Men will always have that. We are still an animal, you know. :wink:

To sum up my words for you, If you take it easy and don't hurt yourself with this, you can go for it if you please. I mean, you aren't hurting anyone or yourself if your careful so why not if you want. :)
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

Again, thanks for the input.

I would like to achive moderate waist shaping with this and it will be quite the endevour and to look good.

I do realize that at one point, should I take it full out, I may end up breaking my two bottom ribs on each half of the cage. I have to speak to someone at a local corset shop about this but I'm not overly worried - though I will say If it's avoidable I'll be jumping on that band wagon.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated to know how other people view this.