Nintendo Wii, anyone?

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Nintendo Wii, anyone?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I'm actually quite surprised I haven't seen a topic this. (Unless there is I just completely missed it -- if that's the case, please ignore this and direct me to the original Wii topic.)

You know the Nintendo Revolution much of us are just dieing to get our paws...err, hands on?

It's recently been switched from its codename to the Nintendo Wii (pronounced, 'We'.) as its new Official Title.

Sayeth Nintendo:
"Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean? Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.
So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Even theNintendo Revolution websitehas now replaced itself.

So, I'm wondering. What do you think of this new name change? Would you rather say you own a Revolution or Wii? Was it a smart move Nintendo made? And, can't you already imagine the horrible puns this could create?
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Darum
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darum »

i don't like it. i would rather own a Revo. no comment at this time. and, yes, yes i can.
"every set-back, a step foward. every failure, an extra oportunity for success. every day of defeat, a victory!"
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I would have created a topic on this subject myself, exept that I have been venting my feelings on this matter on the NINTENDO forums instead.

This is the argument I made over there.

*My N-Sider Thread on why I discourage the name "Wii" (I am "Doshido_N" over there)

THIS person provided the strongest counter-point to my own argument (in reaction to my post).

*EBISNATSY's Wii Support Thread.

Overall, I would love to be prooved wrong, and don't really hate the name at all.

I just HATE the CONSTANT sexual inuendo and potty humor that seems to be inspired by it.

If people will just stop snickering and making rude jokes with, or about the name, I will be happy and have nothing to complain about.

...but I'm terribly afraid that this fall, when the system launches, I'm going to be left shaking my head and saying "I told you so", when the jokes just keep comming...and comming...and comming...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Nintendo Wii, anyone?

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:I'm actually quite surprised I haven't seen a topic this. (Unless there is I just completely missed it -- if that's the case, please ignore this and direct me to the original Wii topic.)

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... 4843#84843
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Sony is going for the steal!

http://gamethedog.com/site/pc/php/index.php

Nintendogs anyone?! This game is actually going to be released.

For shame, for shaaaame!
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:Sony is going for the steal!

For shame, for shaaaame!
WTF?!

Sony Took the CD-ROM drive they made for the SNES and RAN...

...then they stole Nintendo's N64 Anolog stick and rumble pack for thier "Dual Shock" controllers...

...and they stole Nintendo's Portable "Connectivity" (GBA<>GCN) for thier PSP (PSP<>PS3)...

...and they stole Nintendo's hardware AGAIN with the PS3 controllers "Six Axis..." motion sensors...

...and now they are stealing Nintendo's SOFTWARE Too?!?!

It seems all of SONYs best ideas come from Nintendo...and then they act as if they created it themselves...

...and people wonder why I am a NINTENDO fan...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Biggest problem with that name is that I can't help but want to pronounce it with a squeaky voice.

"We are the knights who say. . . Wii!"
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Sony is going for the steal!

For shame, for shaaaame!
WTF?!

Sony Took the CD-ROM drive they made for the SNES and RAN...

...then they stole Nintendo's N64 Anolog stick and rumble pack for thier "Dual Shock" controllers...

...and they stole Nintendo's Portable "Connectivity" (GBA<>GCN) for thier PSP (PSP<>PS3)...

...and they stole Nintendo's hardware AGAIN with the PS3 controllers "Six Axis..." motion sensors...

...and now they are stealing Nintendo's SOFTWARE Too?!?!

It seems all of SONYs best ideas come from Nintendo...and then they act as if they created it themselves...

...and people wonder why I am a NINTENDO fan...
Heh... I hope there are a lot of more people out there that realize that and don't buy this game.

I really enjoyed Nintendo, but after SNES I didn't like it anymore. They screwed up Yoshi's Island with Yoshi's Story (Story is much too short and too easy). So I play on XBox. I don't care about what people say about Bill Gates or stuff like that; the XBox is Microsoft's best creation till date.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I think "Wii" is absolutely brillant naming.

There isn't a single forum, video-game media outlet, etc, without some discussion of this name. Its free publicity, everyone knows, and everyone is talking about it. Hell, even joke sties like YTMND are going on about it ("Why can't Wii be friends?") :P

Insane. Silly name. But brillant at the same time. :lol:
Xaltar
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xaltar »

All I can say is
too little, too late

Read the reviews

Nintendo lost the plot a long time ago, Sony screwed them and they never recovered.

Pity, I always liked them...
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

At first I really hated the name, but -- surprise, surprise -- it's growing on me and I kind of like it now.

As for the console itself, it's probably going to be the only one of the three I buy. I've always liked the Playstation best in the past, but Sony's completely alienated their fan base on this one. I never cared about the XBox. So the Wii wins it.

It'll probably be worth it just for Smash Bros., anyway.

-- Vilkacis
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

1. noobs who have problems with the system well make fun of it and others well mature and get used to the name
2. im a xbox fan but i fell for or japanesse freinds getting there tech stolen by sony, aleast our tech is made by ourselfs(or we take tech legally)
3. i think we can all agree that sony is the enemy
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Wii is gotta be the most crappy name EVER for a console. But apart from that, it seem to be very innovative.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

And the link that i have to put forward is

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=195
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Meh, the name makes me nauseous, but I want one anyway. They're cheap, they're innovative, and let's face it, when it comes to gameplay Nintendo owns. I must have Red Steel!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I never really hated the name. Wierd and unconventional works for me.
(I was eager and ready to own a "Nintendo Dolphin", as it was codenamed before it was changed to the more blunt "GameCube".)

Though I am still hearing a great deal of jokes about the name Wii, I am pleased to find that most of the innapropriate ones have all but faded away, and most are just playful mocking about how fun it is to say...

............................................................................................................." Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !... "

That I have no problem with. This system is all about Having Fun...so if the Wii makes people go "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!", then I think this name may be far more appropriate than I first thought.

I've heard rumors that the system may be available as soon as October, allthough I think November/December is more likely.

I can hardly wait. :cafinated:

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Yeah, I'm betting on late November, early December.
I seriously doubt that Sony will get the PS3 outat their projected date. They didn't even have a working prototype when they first released pictures of it. It was just an empty case. I'm not sure if they've even finalized contracts to have the components built.....
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I still can't believe them fer doing this?! :evil: I mean what was the matter with Nintendo Revolution? :P Ick..I no wonder so many people don't like nintendo much anymore, they are always changing things and leaving people with their jaws hanging :jawdrop:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Teh_DarkJokerWolfeh wrote:I still can't believe them fer doing this?! :evil: I mean what was the matter with Nintendo Revolution? :P
#1- They wanted the name to be the same internationally, and "Revolution" is difficult to pronounce in some dialects.

#2- Anyone who is not a "HARD CORE" gamer would not understand what it is a "Revolution" of...

#3- "Revolution" is too aggresive and "Extreme" of a name for what they want the product to be seen and marketed as. It is not the powerhouse, death dealing, world conquering machine. It is the bring the family together, have fun, and look silly doing it machine.

...Nintendo Seriously wants your grandmother to buy one...and your school teacher too...

They want it to be a trendy, freindly product that EVERYONE wants to own, like an i-POD, or a Digital Camera-Cellphone-Walkie Talkie.

...not just a gamers treasure.

"Wii" doesn't sound like the name of a videogame system (something that a large portion of the world is resistant to)...

...which is exactly what Nintendo is going for.

Gamers know what it is. ...everyone else just needs to know that it is something new, affordable, easy to use, and most importantly...FUN.

The more I hear the word, the more I understand it.

The Wii is supposed to make us go "WHEEEEEEE...", and "We" can play it together with our whole family...not just with other Gamers.
Teh_DarkJokerWolfeh wrote:Ick..I no wonder so many people don't like nintendo much anymore, they are always changing things and leaving people with their jaws hanging :jawdrop:
Not like Nintendo any more?...

...for second runner-ups in the game wars, Nintendo sure is bringing in a **** load of money, selling what are still considered year after year, some of the best games ever...and they took this Years E3 by storm, with thousands of people waiting in line for three hours or more to play "Wii" games, when it was only a 20 minute wait to play anything in the PS3 or 360 booths.

You are right about one thing...Nintendo has left everyone with their jaws on the floor.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I want one really bad, but refuse to call it a Wii. :roll:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Pii Wii...errr...Herman?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

PariahPoet wrote:I want one really bad, but refuse to call it a Wii. :roll:
Then Call it an "N.E.S.5"...

...at least, that is what SONY would have called it, as they are not creative enough to think of anything else besides counting to the next number, and increasing the specs of everything.

Don't worry about it...

Say it enough times, and the word takes on an entirely new meaning. You'll get used to it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Say it enough times, and the word takes on an entirely new meaning. You'll get used to it.
Saying it twice gives it a new meaning.

:jester2:

Sorry, but I don't like "Wii" :roll:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Just too many potential bad jokes.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

PariahPoet wrote:Just too many potential bad jokes.
I covered that quite extensively HERE...
I am 'Doshido_N' btw.

...but what I've learned since then is that people get tired of those jokes pretty quickly, and they don't last nearly as long as I thought.

Everyone makes those immature wise cracks at first...then they get over it.

I would never have chosen that name...but it's really not that bad once you stop making "WEE WEE" jokes yourself, and realise that everyone else stopped doing that MONTHS ago, and the system isn't even out yet.

By the time it hit's store shelves, all the potty jokes, and sexual inuendo will be used up, and saying "wee wee" just won't be funny to anyone any more. "Wii" will just mean, 'Nintendo's Product' and nothing more.

[Note: Please don't add any responses to the NINTENDO forum thread, as it is very old, and ressurecting it at this point will do nothing but piss alot of people off.]