Culling the young

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Culling the young

Post by Fenrir »

Would a werewolf parent kill it's child if it were Retarded or had some kind of mental problem just to keep the secret safe, and for the good of those who it might kill or hurt. The spartans did it. How many times would this happen is it a rare occasion or frequent? The forum says that they protect the secret at all costs but would they go this far.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I didn't know werewolves can have imperfections. ??

Do you think a werewolf will have time to take care of something that can't take care of itself? In the animal world, only the strong survives. If werewolves live by that rule, then that mentally ill child will not live a long life.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

hey nothings perfect so everything has imperfections
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I imagine, except in the most militant of packs, the process of kulling the weak would be frowned upon. However somebody that was retarded might not either be able to control when and where he shifts, or even understand the importance of control.

I don't think they'd kill anyone with just any disability like a speech impediment, but if it was one that seriously impaired their judgement, I think they would.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

That's what I thought too :|
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

I dunno. I'm all about culling the weak, but I daresay human compassion would win that over. Again, however, it would probably depend on the case. I'm sure a werewolf with a mental defect that prevented it from controlling its shifting would be considered more a threat than, say, a werewolf with MS. Though Fig does bring up a good point...

From where I stand, it's honestly hard to say.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I figure there's two things that would encourage a werewolf to care for a sick or handicapped werewolf: human compassion, and human society.

Human compassion is easy enough to understand. The other thing they would need to worry about is that we, as human beings, live in a law-governed society. Someone would inevitably had to have seen or found out through the grapevine that she was pregnant, so they couldn't just make the baby disappear and everyone will forget about it.

If their baby turns up dead, the first thing that happens is they become suspects for murder. And which would you rather have? A retarded werewolf? Or Joe Fontana and Ed Green following you around?

The only alternative I could think of how to take care of a retarded werewolf, would only be if they had two things available: The first would be a stretch of wildlife in which there is a wolf population, or a wolf park/sanctuary with at least one staff member on friendly terms with the pack. The other would be if you believed the arguments in favor of a werewolf being Trapped In Form. If they could coax the handicapped werewolf into assuming a full wolf form and do something to leave him trapped in that form, he could be brushed off by the authorities as a runaway and introduced to the pack as an authentic wolf, which theoretically might be ideal since his level of intelligence, while low for a human, could be on par with that of the pack he is introduced to.

But that's only if there is a way to be stuck in form which they could enforce, and only if there was a place where they could safely release him. If that wasn't an option, I think they really would have to put him down.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Most humans are uncomfortable with death and even more so with the thought of having to kill something. I've known people who can't kill rats, much less one of their young. Only the most extreme of defects would have the pack thinking of putting one of their own down.

I can see a werewolf pack as having an executioner of sorts. One werewolf who will do the job so the others don't have to. Whether they like the idea or not, at some point, they'd need him.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

So far, all of this assumes that:

1. Werewolves have an organized society, which is a storyline-dependent assumption that may be true.

2. Werewolves share the human notion that nature believes in actively killing those not well adapted, as opposed to simply making it hard for such beings to live. There's a difference. But, werewolves are part human and thus very likely to buy into human assumptions about nature.

3. People with various physical or mental disorders are indeed somehow inherantly weaker. This assumption ignores the occasional savant, who may be mentally retarded in many respects but very genius at doing one thing. It also ignores those with physical deficits who none-the-less are exceptionally powerful individuals. We've all seen martial arts movies about the blind grand master. (And, I'm sure by now Professor Stephen Hawking is sick and tired of being brought up as an example, having to remind people that he only acquired ALS later in life.) But, this assumption does agree with the legitimately observable pattern that people with various disorders do have certain problems from day to day, some pretty severe.

4. Werewolf society seeks to emulate feral wolf society, roughness and all, rejecting the conveniences of human society. This is only a partial assumption, as your postulates do factor in survival within human society, in particular the threat to secrecy.

In any event, the question does lend well to plot devices, and one could launch a number of stories based on this dilemma.

I oppose the use of lycanthropy itself as an instant miracle cure for everything. While I'm guilty myself of making it in my stories a potential cure for a lot of things, it doesn't just either kill or cure every disorder. OK, so I fudged like everyone else and made my diabetic werewolves no longer dependant on insulin. But, my werewolves still wear glasses. It lowers seizure threshold--that is, epileptics who get lycanthropy are more prone to seizing--and it won't make a mentally retarded person "normal." It will cause a personality change, though mostly because of the psychology of the experience rather than anything biological. It does generate in the brain more serotonin and norepinepherine, relieving chronic depression. But, it also causes depression in a big way through disrupting one's sense of normalcy.

Anyhow, that's my $3.65 worth. (That's two cents worth, but from the perspective of the oil industry.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

:o Good question... I would think the circumstances would dictate what would happen to the pup. I also think the it would range from pack to pack. More militant packs this would probably occur more often, more family oriented packs this would not be a common occurence. However with that being said, it would ultimately the alpha's decision not the particular parents. If they were a danger in anyway of exposing or jepordizing the saftey of the pack they would unfourtunately be killed i think.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

It would depend on the culture, and if the were was a born were, or a made were. .made weres are going to be more sentimental towards their babies, than a born were who was born into the lifestyle.

I have two 'lineages' of weres I've created. In the one, those who are not 'normal' are not allowed off the 'reservation' (can't think of a better term. . its not known by humans, they've pulled themselves awy and created a community away from humans), the other I haven't touched on it at all. . hmmm.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?