the size of a werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You just gone and did it, Renorei!! Now a page has been flooded by Vuldari's long post of an arguement yet agien. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:You just gone and did it, Renorei!! Now a page has been flooded by Vuldari's long post of an arguement yet agien. :lol:
That message was not dirrected at Renorei.

...that was just random venting...

And I didn't even get into the possibilities that open when you dare to wonder, "What if Werewolves really WERE EVIL?"

...how does one deal with entities of pure evil in thier midst? ...what do you do if that evil gets inside of you? ...can one really fight against pure Evil?

I don't think Hollywood has really been wrong in repeatedly persuing this angle.

...though really bad scripts, bad acting, and laughably awful , gross looking werewolves (like most every WW film ever made) don't do the scenario justice.

MORE.

Big ones...little ones...evil ones...gentle ones...biologically plausable ones...magically fantastic and "impossible" ones...super strong ones...weak and troubled ones...cute ones...ugly ones...fluffy, wolfy ones...bald, catty ones...old ones...young ones...spiritual ones...soul-less ones...

...more, more, more...

I want to see them ALL.

...they don't need to be "UBER" to be Cool...

In fact...they don't need to be "cool" at all. The character has so much more varied potential than that. Being "cool", and being stronger than everyone else isn't everything after all...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

:lol:

It seems we have a misunderstanding here. Let me clarify. I wasn't talking about werewolves in general...I was talking about specifically what I want to see in Freeborn. Granted, it's not a group project. It's Anthony's thing, but we're still here to give opinions and advise, so I'm gonna keep doing that.

And, since I'm certainly not gonna be making a werewolf movie of my own anytime soon (or ever) I'm going to say everything I can think of to try and get the Freeborn werewolves to even remotely approximate my ideal version of werewolves. More than likely, nothing will come of it. But if AB does so much as make each werewolf an inch taller than originally planned because of something I've said in one of my posts, or because I've done the unthinkable and dug up poll results, then hoorah! Victory. Yeah, I'm aware that he's probably not that easily influenced, but I'm an extremely determined optimist with a lot of free time on her hands...so leave me alone.

Also, as a side note: 7 or 8 feet tall doesn't necessarily = invincible uber bad-a** unstoppable warrior.

Anyway, as far as werewolves outside of Freeborn go, I'm ok with werewolves that aren't like my ideal. While there are some I absolutely loathe, there are some that I think are pretty cool. Nothing will ever make me like or even respect the HP werewolf, or the classic wolfman. But, I have a grudging appreciation for the creatures from Underworld, and a genuine like for the loup-garou from Blood and Chocolate. I like the simple, ordinary wolf from The Legend of Romasanta, and I've grown quite attached to the adolescent circus freak from Blood Moon and I think the werewolves from Chronicles of Narnia were pretty cool (even though they didn't get much screen-time).

So yeah...a werewolf doesn't have to meet my ideals for me to potentially like it. There are quite a good many that I like that are very different from what I want in a werewolf.

Also, I realize that if my version of werewolves was the only version ever shown in films, then yeah, it would get pretty boring. If that were the case, then I'd certainly love to see something different. But my version of werewolves has barely been touched upon in pop culture, despite the fact that it's rampant in the werewolf fandom.

So...hope that offers some clarification.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

So, does this mean that we'll have a compromise of having the werewolf portrayed by Roland Kickinger wearing elevator shoes?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Oh I adored the ones in the Chromicles. Though I wish they had larger tails. You could barely see the tails at all. But they're about as close to my ideal werewolf as a movie has come so far.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

PariahPoet wrote:Oh I adored the ones in the Chromicles. Though I wish they had larger tails. You could barely see the tails at all. But they're about as close to my ideal werewolf as a movie has come so far.

They're not my ideal, but I do like 'em. :D

If I ever buy Chronicles of Narnia (and I probably win, since it's such an awesome movie), I might try to get some screenshots of them.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote:It seems we have a misunderstanding here. Let me clarify. I wasn't talking about werewolves in general...I was talking about specifically what I want to see in Freeborn. Granted, it's not a group project. It's Anthony's thing, but we're still here to give opinions and advise, so I'm gonna keep doing that.
You see...I don't think of "The Pack" as just the "Freeborn" FanClub/Focus Group. It is part of our founding...but we are so much more than that now.

I don't automatically assume anyone is talking about that film unless they specifically say so, and I really think that we should all be more careful about assuming that others know what context we are talking in.

The freeborn script was clearly written around the assumption that werewolves are fairly large, strong and intimidating in that world. The scenes, as they were written, just wouldn't work right if they were changed to look differently. Anthony has allready decided what form he wishes HIS werewolves to take in His(and Silvers) story.

(In other words...I don't think you have anything to worry about Renorei. FB werewolves will be "big enough"...and I have No desire to ask Tony to change them.)

I see "The Pack", potentially, as a great place to promote ALL possibilities of the werewolf, in ALL of its potential forms.

I rant frequently because I sense that the general attitude of the majority of pack members is resistant to accepting a Full spectrum of variety, and favors certain aspect to a point that I fear that some ideas are being unfairly repressed.

We are all guilty of doing this...myself included. I am resistant to the domination of overpowered werewolves to the point that I almost seem to ask for thier complete elimination at times. ...or so my attitude suggests...
Not True, BTW. Jon Taliban ROCKS

I am also resistant to "Unpleasant", distinctly Un-Wolfish looking werewolves...so much so that I sometimes almost reject them entirely.
(Sorry ShadowWulf)

I do not allways live by the ideals I preach...but I'm trying to get better.

I am not really fond of "EVIL", Demonic werewolves...and the idea that a person with a good heart would be helpless to fight against a BloodLust Curse...

...but I recognise the great potential for intense emotional drama, and mystery, action and suspense in such a scenario...basically, I'd hate for it to actually happen, but it could make a GREAT story.

So I put my support behind it anyway...in spite of my reluctance to actually want to watch or read such a tragic story myself.

...and I actually liked the HP werwolf for what it was...even if it DID stray from the version that appeared in the books.
Renorei wrote:Also, as a side note: 7 or 8 feet tall doesn't necessarily = invincible uber bad-a** unstoppable warrior.
True...but it does suggest that it is expected for them to, by default, be more than a match for ANY human or animal they face, in terms of physical prowess...regardless of if the Werewolf's personality is that of a warrior or not.

This emphasis on "A werewolf will much you and crunch you, because they are big and strong and you are small and weak" distracts from the other aspects of the character too much, IMHO, which is why it is not my favorite interpretation of the creature.

I am glad to hear that you are more open minded than you have been letting on.

...now I just wish I was a little more talented, so I could write a Good story about Other kinds of werewolves, that focuses on the more dramatic points that I am so fond of, and really show you people what I am talking about.

Sadly, I am not gifted with words. I am only good at using MANY MANY words to say very little. ...plus my grammar, spelling, punctuation, writing format and grasp on natural, realistic character conversation is quite poor.

...I do have lot's of ideas though...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, I'm glad that's all sorted out. :)

Anyway, you should at least try to develop your ideas more. Maybe you can't write the story, but if you hashed out the plot enough, someone else who's good at writing could take it from there.
theMoonlite
Legendary
Legendary

Post by theMoonlite »

Not sure if this has been posted up or not, but I was browsing Huskie's artwork one day, when I came across this picture. Mabye it could help a little...? :?

Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:Can you even picture it.. The werewolf stands and it has a huge beer belly.... *goes to draw it* brb
I've said this before but I think the fat persons would be more muscular in werewolf form 'cause all extra mass turns in to a muschles. Fat could also be energy for shifting process.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

what a way to bring back a old old old OLD! topic
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

And since this is somewhat associated with Vuldari's longass posts...

"OHNOEZ SHE GONNA KILL US A-- Um, why's she wearing a dress? Werewolves don't wear dresses!!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH-- Wait, did i just hear "Will you marry me"?! I don't believe it!! Werewolves spousing themselves with humans?! Werewolves turn any and every human into their canned food!! WTF!!" (flawed logic lol)

So, the point to my post is: I have a feeling that it's no longer about the issue of a lycanthrope's physical appearance that i see these people grabbing hairs and slapping bums about, rather what social position they should be in.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

The deflating Uberwere

Post by Set »

:o Holy Ra. How can those werewolves even move?

*grins, grabs needle* :evilwolf:
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Re: The deflating Uberwere

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Set wrote::o Holy Ra. How can those werewolves even move?

*grins, grabs needle* :evilwolf:

sdgfgsdfsdf

You're supposed to rebutt, dammit. D:<

*muscle go pop*
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

this has probably been said already but ...i feel size plays an big issue on the social status within the werewolf/wolf packs.....to determine the leaders from the followers..alphas from the betas..and that sort . :)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

What do you mean? Do you feel the alphas have to be bigger than the others?

And bigger how? Height? Or bigger muscles? :?
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

alphas usually are bigger than the others....at least all the ones ive seen in pictures are.....they are usually bigger in size and weight characteristics :|
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

I agree with White Paw, In the animal world Males tend to be bigger.... just generally, although in the bird world, this is not necessarily the case as males just tend to be more colourful.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

lupine wrote:I agree with White Paw, In the animal world Males tend to be bigger.... just generally, although in the bird world, this is not necessarily the case as males just tend to be more colourful.
And bugs......just be glad your not a black widow.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
wolf_onmitsu
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I have no clue what's going on

Post by wolf_onmitsu »

*shivers* I HATE soiders!! I found a black widow on my front porch once....creepy
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Or a male Praying mantis
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

White Paw wrote:alphas usually are bigger than the others....at least all the ones ive seen in pictures are.....they are usually bigger in size and weight characteristics :|
Actually no. What's more important is the personality of the wolf.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

so what your saying is that some wolves whom are of alpha status can actually be of a smaller size compared to other wolves and still get the respect of the other larger wolves and not get overthrown in the social order of an pack.. :o
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The toughest fighters in the world are less than 5"10 tall.
Image Image
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Respect does not have to come from size, In the godfather, Don Corleone was a well respected individual, he was an old man, but he was a skillfull talker and treated those around him with respect. In short size does not matter, if you are big, people may fear you, but if you are small you learn to respect others and they in turn respect you, I hope I didn't go too far off topic
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P