Howling

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Howling

Post by Kzinistzerg »

When a werewolf hows, does it mean something? Is it a message, or language? Or is it something else? :howl:  :oo
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

And why do wolves howl?
I'm holding an encyclopedia right now and I can read the following:

"Howling's purpose is not only for communication of single predators but also for whole packs. It can be heard mostly right before an end of the hunt or right after it. Nevertheless, sometimes wolves start howling without a particular reason. They can do it alone, in groups, standing, sitting or even lying."

Definitely, it can't be a language. More like a message. I don't think that werewolves would be common, so communication of different packs would be a rather rare event (Assuming that Werewolves live in groups). Still, Werewolves could send such messages during a hunt, telling where they are or to frighten the prey (Just for fun). Just as if they were saying "You can run, but you can't hide!". As far as I know, howling is also a way to express creature's feelings, which would explain last two sentences from the encyclopedia. Imagine a fresh Werewolf that for the first time in his life doesn't have to bother with his human problems nor with this annoying humanity anymore. The feelings in their purest form:

! :howl:  :oo !
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Howling wouldn't work in the city. That'll bring attention to themselves.

Thats where cell phones come in. :D

*holds up cell phone and points to howl emoticon displayed on screen* :howl:  :oo

:lol:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I'm aware that it's communication, but this was more of a "what should it be for wwolves" rather than "why do wolves howl." I meant if they would use it for complicated messages. :howl:  :oo
Stormdancer
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Stormdancer »

Communication, yo!

*e-howls Figarou* hwlwnk
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Stormdancer wrote:Communication, yo!

*e-howls Figarou* hwlwnk

LOL!!

*grabs cell phone*

Well, what do you know!! I got an e-howl message!!

:lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

We did some speculation on why wolves howl on another topic, as for werewolves, I go with a form of communication and a way of expressing feelings. Different howls would mean different things, a deeper bellowing howl could mean a challenge either from another pack or used by single challengers. Complex howls with interweaving melodies could be a message. Some could be as simple as " we are werewolves, we are here ".
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

That's what I figured, but I thought it would be good to bring it up.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It could theoretically be a signal to all other werewolves in the area -- a werewolf might recognize the distinctness of the werewolf tone while any humans in the area might mistake it for a coyote or the neighbor's malamute.

For the most part though, I think werewolves would only howl in place of more human emotions. They might start crying, for example, and their canine-ish muzzle will make the extended sobbing moan sound more like a howl.

It could also be an ideal form of stress relief, which would explain why they do it right after shifting in the movies so often.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: It could also be an ideal form of stress relief, which would explain why they do it right after shifting in the movies so often.

shhowl <----Like this? :D

:duckie
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Aye, howling is good for stress relief. Very therapeutic. Also a good .........ngh .......looooooong.......streeeeeetch and grrrrrrowl.

Woof! That wuz alright.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Aye, howling is good for stress relief. Very therapeutic. Also a good .........ngh .......looooooong.......streeeeeetch and grrrrrrowl.

Woof! That wuz alright.
Heh, thats going to be hard to do if your in the middle of downtown. :wink:
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

That's why you wait until you're in an alleyway or something, to shift - who'd believe some drunken hobo's claims of seeing seven-foot wolf-men?
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

The tabloids. But beyond that, some techie nerd might wander across e-howling, which would be just as fickle as good, hard, news.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Baphnedia wrote:The tabloids. But beyond that, some techie nerd might wander across e-howling, which would be just as fickle as good, hard, news.
Heh, that techie nerd will be scratching his head wondering what it all means.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Me: :howl:  :oo *records*

hmmm, who should I e-Howl? hmmm...

Hey, that might actually work, I mean,

I fyou wanted to conceal a message, that's how you'd do it. And only other wolvies would understand. hwlwnk
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

You know, I've discovered something about Therian gatherings. We are always so concerned about what other people might think if we howl. What I've discovered is that they don't seem to care.

We were in a crowded campground (one of the most popular in Alabama) for the Fall Howl and as we sat around the campfire, I belted out a long loud howl and ..... and, nothing happened.

Most large cities are so enured to weirdness that I doubt if a Werewolf howl would be noticed for more than a minute.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:You know, I've discovered something about Therian gatherings. We are always so concerned about what other people might think if we howl. What I've discovered is that they don't seem to care.
Oh really?

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment. ... 1409262004
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Dancing with a Christmas tree ? That guy has bigger problems than where he howls.... :wink:

I do it all the time here and have only had one complaint, that was only because I stirred up his dogs at 3:00 am...... :D hwlwnk
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Dancing with a Christmas tree ? That guy has bigger problems than where he howls.... :wink:

I do it all the time here and have only had one complaint, that was only because I stirred up his dogs at 3:00 am...... :D hwlwnk

Well, I can't howl even if I wanted to. These houses are built very close together and its very quiet at night. I'll be waking up everybody. hwlwnk
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I would never be able to do it here either.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Once every full moon would be ok....just be ready to run :wink:

My best howling date is halloween, you can howl as much as you want then, people expect weirdness so they don't pay as much attention. Especially with their yards being T.P.ed and cars egged, howling is the least of their worries.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Once every full moon would be ok....just be ready to run :wink:

My best howling date is halloween, you can howl as much as you want then, people expect weirdness so they don't pay as much attention. Especially with their yards being T.P.ed and cars egged, howling is the least of their worries.
Howl then run? Naa.....what will my neighbors think if they find out it was me.

Some truck drivers howl on the CB radio on Halloween night. There you can get away with it.

I know one thing, it wasn't a howl that brought me to this forum. It was e-howl. :wink:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Back on track, people. :lol: So, in the movie, do you want howls to be actual messages to people? hwlwnk
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:Back on track, people. :lol: So, in the movie, do you want howls to be actual messages to people? hwlwnk
Regular people won't understand what the howl means.

But for other werewolves, they'll understand.

A deep long howl means there is a meeting for tonight. If its followed by a short high pitched howl, it means everyone meet up at the Pizza Hut for some pizza and pie!! lck