Do Werwolfs also have hay fever?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Do Werwolfs also have hay fever?

Post by Teenwolf »

:D Hello everybody....!

The few last days were awfull because of my hay fever, and so i wondered if someone would become a werewolf, would he have hay fever too?? :?
I think it would look funny to see him always cleaning his nose and sneezing al the time...... :P What do you think? I would find it better when he had no hay fever, its really a torture....believe me.... :(
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
geekboy1500
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lover of Life

Post by geekboy1500 »

i do not know how hay fever works, but i would guess that a werewolf wouldnt have it (for a more scientific perspective ask scot gardner) :P
The Think Geek Annoy-o-Tron, insanity in convenient attractive box.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im pretty shure everyone here agrees that a werewolf would have a much stroger immune system than people. So I doubt they will have a really high fever, mabye a small cold if the flu is realy bad.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

As Shadow Wulf said, werewolves would have a much stronger immune system. That's only to say that werewolves would get sick less often, not that they would be immune completely. I don't think they would get very specific diseases, but the kinds of things that happen every year like the flu and the common cold would be possibilities.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Do Werwolfs also have hay fever?

Post by Figarou »

Teenwolf wrote::D Hello everybody....!

The few last days were awfull because of my hay fever, and so i wondered if someone would become a werewolf, would he have hay fever too?? :?
I think it would look funny to see him always cleaning his nose and sneezing al the time...... :P What do you think? I would find it better when he had no hay fever, its really a torture....believe me.... :(

You think? ---> :sneeze:

:jester:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I can't see why not. A werewolf is still most human IMO.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Morkulv wrote:I can't see why not. A werewolf is still most human IMO.
Uh uh uh.... half.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Im pretty shure everyone here agrees that a werewolf would have a much stroger immune system than people. So I doubt they will have a really high fever, mabye a small cold if the flu is realy bad.
Allergies are caused by an overractive immune system though.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Mabey the way the werewolf body is can somehow have somthing that keeps its body from being to reactive. Then agien mabye thats where the silver allergy came from, some werewolf must have a serouse allergic to silver, but why dont they say other stuff? But personally I dont like to believe that they will break out with itcthy eyes, scratchy throat, and a runny nose, and I dont think anyone does either, or rather most. Honestly who wants a werewolf to have that.
Image Image
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Re: Do Werwolfs also have hay fever?

Post by Teenwolf »

Figarou wrote:
Teenwolf wrote::D Hello everybody....!

You think? ---> :sneeze:

:jester:
Thats what i will look like for the next 2 months....lol
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

As far as allergies go - I think that it's safe to say that a werewolf would be prone to more severe allergies, based partly on what werewolves typically have, and partly on what their human side is allergic to - but would get sick less often as Lupin said.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
strykeriuswolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ARMY Wolf

Post by strykeriuswolf »

if i remeber correctly werewolves cant get things like that, i cant remeber where i found that but i will look for it again and if i find it i will be glad to post it :D
I dun care what people say about us furries, I'm darn proud to be one and have always been proud. POWER TO THE FURRIES
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

strykeriuswolf wrote:if i remeber correctly werewolves cant get things like that
Like what? Allergies?
strykeriuswolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ARMY Wolf

Post by strykeriuswolf »

no like most human diseases including stuff like STDs, and other basic ones. ive been looking for it but i still cant find where i heard it..... :D
I dun care what people say about us furries, I'm darn proud to be one and have always been proud. POWER TO THE FURRIES
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Baphnedia wrote:As far as allergies go - I think that it's safe to say that a werewolf would be prone to more severe allergies, based partly on what werewolves typically have, and partly on what their human side is allergic to - but would get sick less often as Lupin said.

Can a werewolf get bullied? Anything can get bullied. My last marble was bullied before I went crazy.
Isnt there the possiblilty that a werewolf immune system might have also changed so that the allergies wouldnt be so severe?
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Depends on your view of werewolves.

If you like magical werewolves, then it's quite possible that they may never get sick. However, if magical creatures exist, so then do magical maladies. There'd probably be some magical bugs going around on occasion that strike magical creatures.

If you're referring to the realistic type of werewolf (a.k.a. the boring type, IMO), then sure, they can get hay fever, or any other type of illness. Maybe they have an enhanced immune system, so they'd get sick less often. But, they'd still probably get sick.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Well, Werewolves are Mutated Humans...so probably there's a "coin-toss" involved.
HayFever, like most allergies, is triggered by an out-of-whack Immune system; where the immune system is triggered to produce Histamines...which make you sick. It's treated by taking Anti-Histamines which slow or stop the production of Histamines.
Now...all this is a product of the Immune System. It's pretty much Canon that Werewolves have stronger Immune systems than their Human "cousins"...that means the Were would likely HAVE Hayfever even stronger then the Human base.
And, being a synthetic, Anti-Histamines wouldn't work well...if at all.
A Werewolf could even be Allergic to Himself, when in-the-fur.....
I suspect this is not the answer wanted......
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Mabey thats why theres the silver thing. A werewolf is immune to virtually everything but silver and so when it touches silver or if it breaks through the skin they get a really bad reaction. I douct that werewolves would be allergic to something like flower, dust or hair.
Image Image
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

I think it kind of depends on the metaphysics behind werewolves. Simply put, if it's a magical affliction/transformation, then they're probably immune to most disease, perhaps even all. If you're trying to make your werewolves exist in a mundane world, though, then they might well be afflicted with disease and other illnesses. So why not hay fever?

My reasoning is that in this real, mundane world, humans get diseases. Wolves get diseases. They can both be afflicted. So why should werewolves be totally immune? But in a magic-laced world, anything can happen if you can justify it. So werewolves can be immune to disease, justified by their super healing.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Even if you want the werewolf to be realistic they can still be immune to most disease out thier simply because the immune system is different and stronger than that of a human. And when I say different, not just strong, but thiers the possibility that the immune system is written differently to so that when a werewolf have an allergic reastion it may not be as bad as people here such as Lupin and Vuldari make it to be.
Image Image
Faolan Ruadh
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Snarkus Mirificus

Post by Faolan Ruadh »

It depends on your paradigm. If our werewolves are primarily mundane and scientific, I see no reason why not. Hayfever is an autoimmune inflammatory syndrome, which is to say that it's caused by an indiscriminately aggressive immune system. Since wolves and humans are both succeptible to environmental allergies anyway, and part of the commonly accepted werewolf canon is a beefed-up immune response, I think it is entirely possible that (especially if one already was predisposed to it before being transformed) werewolves might be succeptible to hayfever, or other autoimmune inflammatory disorders like asthma, hypothyroidism, cystitis, or psoriasis. It's worth noting that all of those conditions are quite common to captive wolves and domestic dogs as they age beyond the 3-5 years that would constitute an average lifespan in the wild.
Last edited by Faolan Ruadh on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Live like you'll die tomorrow.
Fight like there is no death."
wolfman1991
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfman1991 »

Due to the constant changing of the body werewolves can't really get sick. One theroy states that when a werewolf changes either to werewolf,wolf, or human form new tissue is created that replaces old tissue. So your constanly getting a new body which means the illness is basically flushed out along with your old tissue. :shift: rvt
I feel a wolf...a wolf growing inside me....getting stronger day by day.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

in human form yea sure, in were form probably not........ too strong an immune system. :)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Depends on one's take on werewolf physiology, though if you're using a magic-based system, you're making your own rules.

Thankfully, most of us don't buy into the notion that lycanthropy is itself a sickness. In my storyline, after werewolves reveal themselves, there's some who consider it such for a short while, but the scientific community sides with the majority of werewolves themselves--while it may be spread from person to person, it's a mutualistic symbiosis, and the "infected" individual is in most ways significantly advantaged. It's not a disease or disability if it makes you healthier, stronger, more agile, able to heal faster, and able to live longer. Heck, a lot of people infect themselves deliberately in my storyline around 2020 or so just for the fringe benefits, like a cure for degenerative disc disease of the lumbar or cervical spine. It cures pain--well, after the first few shifts, anyway.

My lycanthropes have a stronger immune system, but not a magic one. (Not counting Wiccan naturalistic thinking or similar philosophies, which consider the entire universe magical.) Most coughing, sneezing, stuffy nose, fever (so you can rest medicine) and so forth is actually the immune system's doing, a side effect of various inflammatory responses that kills off infections. So, my werewolves will get brief colds, but they won't linger. The lycanthrope virus eats its competition for breakfast.

As for other things like diabetes, that's a whole textbook, and I won't bore you with it right now what effects the lycanthrope viral factor has on pancreatic beta cell islets or prostaglandin e receptors...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

I get the feeling that 1/2 the posters on this thread are ignoring the other 1/2.

Here's something you need to understand to even ADDRESS the question CORRECTLY:

ALLERGIES ARE NOT DISEASES.
You do not "catch" an allergy, nor do you purge an allergy from your system like an infection.

Allergies are the result of a too-strong immune system.
(Like in werewolves.)
The immune system seems to not be busy dealing with intestinal parasites in the drinking water and so on,
so it identifies relatively harmless substances- pollen, cat hair, etc-as
dangers, and tries to "fight them off".

So, if you're suffering from allergies and suddenly get sick, your allergy may actually lighten up, since your body is now busy fighting the real illness.

Now,
what you CAN do, depending on the allergy...
If it's a food allergy, don't eat what you're allergic to.
If it's a bee sting, don't get stung..wear repellent.

If it's an airborne allergy, you can't stop breathing.
You CAN try to clean the air of the particles with a purifier, filter or an ionizer.

You can also go after your body's response system.
If you take an "anti-histamine", it will counteract the "histemic" response of your immune system.
If you take a "steroidal" like Nasonex, it will tell your body to turn off its "histemic" (immune) response. This is very effective-but you can also get hit with a cold since you're body's making no efforts to defend itself.

Having said all that, I'm not taking sides. I just wanted to clear that up.