Something to howl about....The werewolf!!

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Something to howl about....The werewolf!!

Post by Figarou »

Last edited by Figarou on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

*blinks* Uh, read what? I don't see anything there...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Reilune wrote:*blinks* Uh, read what? I don't see anything there...
The link. Click on the link and read some of the nonsence.

For example. You'll see a part in that article that says..

No one knows exactly what a werewolf is, only that it’s bloody thirsty!

Is that what people will think when they see Devoured?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Oh jeez, now it works... Feh. I'll have a look and edit this post if I have anything of interest to say. :oops:

(edit) Er... *blink* Riiight... Really though, what was the point of that article? Seems to me like a rather badly written piece on the bloodthirsty killing monster version of the werewolf. Something's off about the whole thing, but what is it?
Last edited by Set on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

There is some strange stuff in that article.

Very strange!!

Be prepared to be disgusted.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Figarou wrote:There is some strange stuff in that article.

Very strange!!

Be prepared to be disgusted.
I've read alot of it before. Esspecially the bit about Peter Stubbe.

That is one hell of a painful death... :o
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

The guy is a moron.
The quality of his information is shockingly poor, if not appallingly odious.
First off, lycanthropes ARE werewolves.
To say that lycanthropes and werewolves are two separate creatures, is like saying quartz and rock crystal are two different kinds of minerals.
He claims that wolf's bane was used as a painkiller...
I strongly doubt that a psychotropic herb would put someone to sleep.
Maybe he was confusing it with mandrake?
Furthermore, the sightings of the "black dog" date well back into at least the 13th century of England.
And most of the movie descriptions are all wrong wrong wrong. I'm tempted to say that he was taking some LSD when he was watching them, even.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

There is a part of that article that will make Therians upset.

The patient will normally chose a particular animal in power, a tiger if they live in Asia for instance or a bear if in certain parts of America. They will hallucinate, honestly believing that they are whatever animal they chose. Most patients have been brought up on spiritual stories of shape shifting and fairytales about the strong spirits that animals carry within them. Much more needs to be learnt about the disorder. It is very rare and is hard to study closely. All scientists do know is that it is linked with certain types of schizophrenia.

If I was a Therian, I'd be upset at that. Just because I like werewolves, doesn't mean I'm going nuts!! Sheesh!! The nerve of some people!!
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

Oh good grief... that was a big load of hooy! :(
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:The guy is a moron.
The quality of his information is shockingly poor, if not appallingly odious.
First off, lycanthropes ARE werewolves.
To say that lycanthropes and werewolves are two separate creatures, is like saying quartz and rock crystal are two different kinds of minerals.
He claims that wolf's bane was used as a painkiller...
I strongly doubt that a psychotropic herb would put someone to sleep.
Maybe he was confusing it with mandrake?
Furthermore, the sightings of the "black dog" date well back into at least the 13th century of England.
And most of the movie descriptions are all wrong wrong wrong. I'm tempted to say that he was taking some LSD when he was watching them, even.
I'm sorry to dissapoint you Apokryltaros and Figarou, but although the "opinions" stated may not be popular to us, the stated history and "facts" were all quite accurate.[[Edit: Okay...maybe not.]] The Werewolf "origins" described in the article (whether you like them or not) ARE the truest origins of the Werewolf Mythology.

Hollywood, the furry community and even therians have adopted a completely innacurate definition of "Lycanthropy" as well as the use of the word "Were-". Lycanthropy is NOT the "official" term for werewolves, but IS in-fact a recorded Mental Disorder involving people who act like savage, uncivilized animals for no apparent reason.

The innapropriate use of poinsonous or other substances was quite common in days long past. No one knew how or why any of it worked(or why it "seemed" to work). Even if it didn't work, if an elder or doctor said it should work, they would try it anyway.

As for the film descriptions,(I have actually not seen ANY of those films from beginning to end...I know, "blasphemy" right?), everyone is intitled to their own opinion. You will always find someone who hates your favorite movies, and LOVES the ones you find to be the Worst. That is just how it is. He (or She) is not wrong. You two just do not agree.

*turns off the fire hose after trying to put out the "flames"*

"Look what you made me do. Now everything is all wet! ...well, at least the duckie likes it." :duckie
Last edited by Vuldari on Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: I'm sorry to dissapoint you Apokryltaros and Figarou, but although the "opinions" stated may not be popular to us, the stated history and "facts" were all quite accurate. The Werewolf "origins" described in the article (whether you like them or not) ARE the truest origins of the Werewolf Mythology.

Hollywood, the furry community and even therians have adopted a completely innacurate definition of "Lycanthropy" as well as the use of the word "Were-". Lycanthropy is NOT the "official" term for werewolves, but IS in-fact a recorded Mental Disorder involving people who act like savage, uncivilized animals for no apparent reason.

Ummm..you misread something. A Lycanthrope is another name for werewolf. Lycanthropy is the mental disorder. The guy uses lycanthrope when he was suppose to use lycanthropy in his article.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Ummm..you misread something. A Lycanthrope is another name for werewolf. Lycanthropy is the mental disorder. The guy uses lycanthrope when he was suppose to use lycanthropy in his article.
No, I'm afraid not. That is something Hollywood and Furries made up. For all the frequency that it is used, that is an Inaccurate use of the word.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:Ummm..you misread something. A Lycanthrope is another name for werewolf. Lycanthropy is the mental disorder. The guy uses lycanthrope when he was suppose to use lycanthropy in his article.
No, I'm afraid not. That is something Hollywood and Furries made up. For all the frequency that it is used, that is an Inaccurate use of the word.
ok, I just learned something then.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:ok, I just learned something then.
Actually, you did have a valid point. The word "Lycanthropy" was Officially coined by the person who recorded the mental disease. That was it's FIRST meaning. However, when I thought about it a bit more, I rememberd a basic rule of language. Once a word has been generally accepted to mean something, that deffinition becomes as "official" as any other. Such as, the word "Cool"... Really, it is a statement of temperature...colder than warm, but not quite cold. However, everyone knows that it also can mean something is "popular" or "admerable" etc.

So...because SO MANY people use the word with that definition, it becomes an "Official" second definition by default.

Therefore...I was right...and WRONG at the same time. I appologise. :(
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Therefore...I was right...and WRONG at the same time. I appologise. :(

*tosses a rubber duckie at Vuldari* :duckie

:D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:*tosses a rubber duckie at Vuldari* :duckie
I deserved that...

*looks at rubber duckie that bounced off his head and fell on the floor* :duckie

"Oooohhhh....MINE!..." *stuffs it in his pocket and runs away* :oops:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: I'm sorry to dissapoint you Apokryltaros and Figarou, but although the "opinions" stated may not be popular to us, the stated history and "facts" were all quite accurate. The Werewolf "origins" described in the article (whether you like them or not) ARE the truest origins of the Werewolf Mythology.

The innapropriate use of poinsonous or other substances was quite common in days long past. No one knew how or why any of it worked(or why it "seemed" to work). Even if it didn't work, if an elder or doctor said it should work, they would try it anyway.

As for the film descriptions,(I have actually not seen ANY of those films from beginning to end...I know, "blasphemy" right?), everyone is intitled to their own opinion. You will always find someone who hates your favorite movies, and LOVES the ones you find to be the Worst. That is just how it is. He (or She) is not wrong. You two just do not agree.
THERE IS A DISTINCT LINE BETWEEN OPINION AND WRONG FACTS
There is a distinct difference between a person's opinion, ie, "I think that wolves are cruel, and vicious animals," and when you have wrong facts, ie, "I know for a fact that wolves eat human babies whenever possible."
A) We have had the term "lycanthropy" long before we decided to apply it to mentally unhealthy people who think they are beasts of some sort.
B) YOU CAN NOT SAY THAT WOLFSBANE IS A PAINKILLER WHEN IT IS NOT A PAINKILLER AND WHEN IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED AS A PAINKILLER
Yes, I know that it has been used to poison people, it's been used to detoxify the bites of venomous animals and people have used it as a psychoactive drug, but I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER read it be used as a painkiller. Not in Culpepper's Color Herbal, nor elsewhere.
And furthermore, back in ancient days, people already knew about the uses of herbs, given as how they have carefully observed and recorded their effects. They didn't go around saying, "Gee, I wonder why Unga died from that mushroom I told him to eat to ease his stomachache?" Why don't we test that exact same mushroom out on Thag to be sure?"
Furthermore, in ancient days, when a person dies because someone told them to eat the wrong herbal cure, the other person would be punished with death. Unless you were a stuck-up European physician who lived in Renaissance Europe.
ANd
C) I'm not saying that the guy is a moron because he gives rave reviews to the movies I don't like,
I AM SAYING HE IS A MORON BECAUS HE IS GIVING WRONG SYNOPSII OF THE MOVIES
How in the Nine Circles of Hell did he think that Ted and Marjorie were on vacation, when, in the first 3 minutes of the film Bad Moon, they're talking about how they are on a photo-shoot, and how they are a month behind schedule for aforementioned photo-shoot???
And in The Howling, he says that the reporter goes to a "resort designed for people with issues." Nevermind that it's actually a secluded community of werewolves, and that there are no "guests that dissappear" like he claims.
In "Silver Bullet" he says that the boy is ridiculed for his accusations of "werewolf," nevermind that he only told his sister and his uncle about his speculations, and that they never said so much as a peep to anyone else. Neither in the movie, nor the book, "Cycle of the Werewolf."
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:THERE IS A DISTINCT LINE BETWEEN OPINION AND WRONG FACTS
There is a distinct difference between a person's opinion, ie, "I think that wolves are cruel, and vicious animals," and when you have wrong facts, ie, "I know for a fact that wolves eat human babies whenever possible."
A) We have had the term "lycanthropy" long before we decided to apply it to mentally unhealthy people who think they are beasts of some sort.
B) YOU CAN NOT SAY THAT WOLFSBANE IS A PAINKILLER WHEN IT IS NOT A PAINKILLER AND WHEN IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED AS A PAINKILLER
Yes, I know that it has been used to poison people, it's been used to detoxify the bites of venomous animals and people have used it as a psychoactive drug, but I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER read it be used as a painkiller. Not in Culpepper's Color Herbal, nor elsewhere.
And furthermore, back in ancient days, people already knew about the uses of herbs, given as how they have carefully observed and recorded their effects. They didn't go around saying, "Gee, I wonder why Unga died from that mushroom I told him to eat to ease his stomachache?" Why don't we test that exact same mushroom out on Thag to be sure?"
Furthermore, in ancient days, when a person dies because someone told them to eat the wrong herbal cure, the other person would be punished with death. Unless you were a stuck-up European physician who lived in Renaissance Europe.
ANd
C) I'm not saying that the guy is a moron because he gives rave reviews to the movies I don't like,
I AM SAYING HE IS A MORON BECAUS HE IS GIVING WRONG SYNOPSII OF THE MOVIES
How in the Nine Circles of Hell did he think that Ted and Marjorie were on vacation, when, in the first 3 minutes of the film Bad Moon, they're talking about how they are on a photo-shoot, and how they are a month behind schedule for aforementioned photo-shoot???
Whoah.................................................... :o

Do I need to hose you down?

Please, please, PLEASE.....tone it down. I know nothing about herbology, and it's history or the plotlines of the movies he reviewed. Regardless, the article was (though partly flawed by Mis-information...apparently), quite informitive, and one of the broader, more complete of it's kind that I have read online.

There is no need to SCREAM because somone, who was proactive enough and enthusiastic enough to bother taking the time to gather all of that information and put it together for the benifiet of whomever choose to read it made a few mistakes. It happens. I don't racall you going off like this about all of the Mis-information that has graced this very message board from time to time.

...Calm down...

Whatever Facts he got wrong, he was either merely confused about, or perhaps was grosely mis-informed by someone he thought SHOULD have known the accurate facts... or so he assumed.

We all make mistakes sometimes. Why so much anger? Why so little tolerance?

Angry people make me sad. :cry: ...Don't be angry. :( ...being happy and laughing is much better for you. :D

"...Ha! He's got his movies all mixed up. Obviously he hasn't watched those for a while. ...that's not how the story went..." :lol:

(Like that. :wink: )
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

You're just saying that because you don't want me to kill you and eat your brain.
Well, you're lucky because I crave pie and not brains right now.
Though, if you hose me down, I will eat your brain.
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

For anyone who is curious. The MEDICAL definition of Lycanthropy, and related info.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... cmd=search

Note: Some information on this site is not available... a "subscription" is required.
Apokryltaros wrote:You're just saying that because you don't want me to kill you and eat your brain.
...uhhhhhhhh. Sure. Whatever you say. ??
Last edited by Vuldari on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:You're just saying that because you don't want me to kill you and eat your brain.
...uhhhhhhhh. Sure. Whatever you say. ??
You've never seen me eat, have you?
They made a movie about my eating habits, even.
http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVERS1/ ... %20DVD.jpg
-Calculon
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

:o Whoa..... talk about difference of opinion....

Look the guy's info could be contriversial but don't get embroiled in a flaming war over it.

*Fires some rubber duckies around* :duckie :duckie :duckie :evil:
*When you're down... howl*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ok, I want to say something. We are making a big difference with this werewolf movie. So big that it'll be talked about everywhere. We might read some good articles about The Pack and about the movie online or in a magizine later on. Who knows, maybe The Pack and the movie will be on one of those TV shows about movie entertainment. (ET)

At the same time, we might get our heads bashed in with an article like the one I posted above. Someone could say the info we provided in this forum is ludicrous. They could also say... "Who in their right mind would come here for information about werewolves?" I can see an article like that already. We must be prepared.

I am opened minded and I post my thoughts. If not, they will not be heard. Thats the purpose of this forum. Voice your opinion and stop idiots from writing stupid articles like the one I posted. Its time we shed some light on the subject. Don't just look at this post and not say something. Being silent won't get things done. If other directors/writers sees whats on our minds, things can change.

We all have our differences. But we do have something in common. We are all werewolf fans. We are The Pack!! We are here to make a difference!! :howl:  :oo
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yeah. I looked at some of the info, and it wasn't all perfect, but as I recall, the info about lycanthropy and werewolfness (highly scientific term, there)was at least mostly correct, as far as the info i've read elsewhere.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

(brownrigg walks in after a nice few days vacation, wearing a bobbie helment).

Alright, alright... whas all this then?

there will be no brain eating here... only pie eating so I commend those that resist the cranial temptations, and replace them with pie.

I see a film somewhere.

A trainer has collected a group of werewolves for the circus, and trained them to eat pie instead of brains.. but one day a duckie walks in, and one of them eats it and they all go savage, and eat the director because he was coming up with stupid plot ideas on a messageboard that was supposed to be serious.

Oh and the werewolf/lyanthrope issue will be resolved in this film, by referring to either of these creatures as frank.

Sincerely,
Nepoleon