What is Gaia online!!!

The place for anything at all...
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

What is Gaia online!!!

Post by Anook »

Ok, I have a couple of friends who are on Gaia. They talk about it all the time and they want me to join the forum. I'm a little relucant about joining because, I have never heard of Gaia before.
I mean, I was the same way before I joined The Pack. I have never joined a forum in my life, so joining The Pack is a first for me.
I just want to know if anyone else is on it, and whats it like.

Well, here is the website link for it. Those of you who love Anime should really like it.

http://gaiaonline.com/
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

It's the largest forum on the internet according to http://www.big-boards.com/
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Really?

Well, thanks for responding to my post. I have a feeling your be the only one. :|
I probably won't join anyway, because its so big.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Crimson Wolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Crimson Wolf »

i joined along time ago but i didnt really know what do except try to create a character but i guess it just got too confusing for me so i havent been back there :|
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

I can understand that.
I tryed it as a guest and I couldn't even figure out how to make my character. :cry:
Like I said earlier, I don't think I want to be a part of something thats so big.
It won't matter with this forum because, I'm used to it now and I feel comfortable around everyone here.
Well, I'm not scared to talk to anyone anymore. I haven't met anyone from the forum yet, but maybe some day I will.

Thanks for responding to my post. I thought Lupin would be the only one.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i like these small boards, were like a family :)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Gaia Online got plugged a lot at A-Kon. I forgot the name of the sub-continent that was heavily endorsed, but it was a therianthropic community. Anyone here there? Anyone remember the name of the place? (Or, as is often said around here, Hey, Anthony!)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Oh, I'm a member on Gaia myself (my username being the same as it is here.), and I find it to be an enjoyable place. Of course, I can also see how many people would dislike it, though.

And oh, don't be mistaken, GaiaOnline isn't very much anime-related (despite the Avatar's and the Site's claims.).
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Oh, oK.
Thanks for responding to my post you guys.
Scott, What is a therianthropic community?
I hope thats not a stupid question to ask. :(
I just don't know what it is. :cry:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

My friends is on Gaia online. I personaly dont like big communities, no one gives a hooden rant about anything there, and your thread is very likely to get offtopic really quickly or gets bombarded by spammers.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

A therianthropic community is a community of therianthropes. Hope that helps. OK, next question...

Most normal people:
What are therianthropes
Therianthropy is a modern take on the long-standing human psychology and metaphysics of shapeshifting. Therianthropes are persons who perceive themselves as other species of animal that have been incarnated into human form. It's a metaphysical concept that many people discover through the Internet, though adherants report essentially following its premises long before discovering that other people are out there doing likewise. People who see themselves as wolves are particularly common, but other animals occur as well. The movement in some ways runs parallel to the Furry movement, though each is distinct enough from the other to remain considered a seperate movement.

Therianthropy is primarily a metaphysical concept, but one independent of religion and one that does not neccessarily preclude other spiritual belief structures, though I have yet to see a therian who proclaims atheism. Note that it is unrelated to the use of the term "lycanthropy" in reference to a mental disorder involving the delusion of being a wolf; the former holds a very organized belief and is often an intellectual, whereas the latter suffers from a breakdown of organized thought structure.

Many people on this forum are therians, myself included. Most of us therians here are, not surprisingly, wolf therians, though not all of us.

For additional info, I recommend Wikipedia's articles on therianthropy, furries, and otherkin.
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Scott, I've noticed that people who are therians are usually wolves, bears, lions, tigers, and so on.
I don't know anyone who is a pig, bird, or some T-Rex.
I thought that therians just chose their favorite animal or one that seems cool to them.
I mean, if they were really therians, then wouldn't there be more horse, pig, bird, or, whale therians out there?

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just don't understand.

Do you get what I'm asking? If you do then please explaine.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

There's supposedly an earwig therian on WereList.

But yes, that is one thing about the therian community. There's an overwhelming number of "cool" animals, most of them being some type of wolf or cat.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I got my avitar from Gaia Online. I don't really post there anymore. I do some roleplay over there with friends on some occations.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

My friend recently found a way to cheat the system. I expect to be spending much more time there this summer.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Gaia. Ah. Haha! Some of my band go on that site. Id NEVER have picked them for avid roleplayers, but they are. They showed it to me and I spent all my time getting my character a monkey tail haha! If he had the right hair he could look a bit like Zidane from FF9. He has like no clothes or anything though.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Anook wrote:Scott, I've noticed that people who are therians are usually wolves, bears, lions, tigers, and so on.
I don't know anyone who is a pig, bird, or some T-Rex.
I thought that therians just chose their favorite animal or one that seems cool to them.
I mean, if they were really therians, then wouldn't there be more horse, pig, bird, or, whale therians out there?

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just don't understand.

Do you get what I'm asking? If you do then please explaine.
Bleh...I used to think I was a therian, and I might well be, but I can shift into anything. Literally anything and have any made up creature and phantom limbs, wings, body etc. Anybody can do it with practice. I was born with the ability (Perhaps with an avid imagination). Mental or dream shifting, the sort Therians do, not physical. I wish I could do it physically. I just have a very good imagination. I think the wolf was my guide. My have powerful phantom limbs and my tail isn't wolfish and I do have wings. Though I sense a wolfish or something snout.

It really depends. Therianthropy is so difficult to understand, nobody knows what causes it. Id say there are definately whale therians out there, but perhaps the more 'cool' animals are easier to recognise or something. And they are able to see what they are. Or, those other therians simply dont like what they are and don't show themselves. I do know bird therians though. They're not uncommon. Oh and also there's a lot of horse ones.

And I was so skeptical about therians at first, even well into my experiences with it. I know the feelings exist, but have no idea what causes it. I dont think anyone does. :? The thing is, non therians can experience these things too. I certainly have instinctive non human behaviours, but so many things could have caused it!

Eh after writing this maybe I should PM Scott for some mental therian help. :wink: This sucks.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

No you did good. :D

At least I'm not the only one that doesn't know how it started.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I have absolutely no beleif in such nonsense. Me and my friend Calen both think of this the same way. "Humans themselves are animals. We have a human body, mind, and spirit. So lets be the best humans we can be. Now stop meowing and growling and get a life!"

:P Ok... the "get a life" part is his. I'm not so harsh. :lol:

Calen is also an anthro artist and zoology major. He owns goats, a pet skunk, and a wallaby. I'd say he's no stranger to animals.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Addendum to personal note--which I read before seeing this topic, by the way:

Therianthropy as I've understood it is less about shape-shifting and more about a sense of identity. However, therians do employ various meditation techniques and mental practices that are referred to as "shape-shifting," even if not meant to be taken literally.

One can also employ these techniques without being a therian of the subject animal. I'm not a tiger therian, but I've shifted once. It's a fun form, too. Bigger, meaner, and much more colorful than wolf. If it were pure ego, I'd surely want to be one of these instead. or, maybe a lion. Wolves just feel more natural to me.

As for Calen, whether or not he respects my personal metaphysical complexes is not really that important to me. But, it should be noted that I respect his perspective, because it is an educated one. He acknowledges that humans are animals, and he also acknowledges that people should be committed towards improvement. Both simple concepts, and yet those who appreciate them are so much in short supply these days.

You may find me describing therianthropy when it comes up, but I seldom bring it up first. This is because I do not feel all that compelled to convince others of my spiritual beliefs, as a lot of the evidence I have to back them up cannot be easily replicated. Therefore, paradoxically, I could find myself advising people not to agree with me, in spite of my own convictions.
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:Gaia Online got plugged a lot at A-Kon. I forgot the name of the sub-continent that was heavily endorsed, but it was a therianthropic community. Anyone here there? Anyone remember the name of the place? (Or, as is often said around here, Hey, Anthony!)
I think you're thinking of Second Life.
Gaia has no CONTINENTS.
There's therian GUILDS, but no "communities" like you're saying.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I think it was a guild. But, it was Gaia Online, not Second Life. (i.e. HaveNo Life)
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I agree its to do with more of probably a spiritual thing which is why I don't think I fit the bill much anymore. Im a shape shifter, rather than I guess a spiritual therianthrope.

And yes, humans are animals, we're not superior at all to anyone else. :wink:

However, animals identify with other animals all the time. What about Babe? The pig sheep dog haha :lol: But yeah anybody that thinks humans are superior (Which I dont think is anyone on this board at all)...Im not gonna bash them but I don't agree with them.

Eh end of topic I dont think we're allowed to talk about therianthropy on here. Oops. Sorry guys haha. As for Gaia, I really ought to check it ey. It's just been hectic and Ive been inactive here too! Stupid uni exams. I have one more to go!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

as long as it dosn't get into a relingon deabate to see who is better i think its okey to talk about it :)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Ugh religion debates are the worst. One girl started accusing me because I was an athiest once. I'm actually agnostic. But back then I was an athiest. I didn't retaliate there was no point!

And it's okay I don't think people attack anyone on these boards, it's why I like them!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>