Werewolves and talking

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolves and talking

Post by Silverfang »

Since no-ones actually thought about it yet , thought i'd kick it off and ask the question:

Would a werewolf be able to talk if he /she wanted to? If so how would it sound?

I've got the idea that a werewolf could talk , be it with some difficulty in a low growling tone Heres a link to something i found a while ago, though don't click the link if you don't have a DSL connection. Its a 4mb download !

http://www.rowsby.com/Anim_Meat_R2.html
*When you're down... howl*

Post by Guest »

That werewolf is so cool! :D

I think that the werewolves should be able to speak. Maybe a bit gruffer/growly than what they sound like in human form. If they can talk as werewolves, the audiance will care more about them as characters.

Post by Guest »

That was me, Silverclaw above. I dont know why this thing isnt working right for me. Such a pain in the tail.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Hmm, I would have to say yes, they should be able to talk, and that thier natural tone should be a somewhat deeper, growly version of thier normal human form voice. I don't really know how exactly you'd pull that off though.

On a side-note, I might suggest allowing experienced werewolves to mimic thier human voices while in were form, at least briefly. You know, a learned skill, much like normal humans can learn to mimic a famous persons voice.
Nouska

Post by Nouska »

Maybe they can talk human in the first few transformations then start using growls and basic wolf social signs after. It could show how the werewolf develops from being just a human in werewolf's clothing into a real beast, understanding and using its instincts.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Realisitcally, I'd say that a werewolf wouldn't be able to talk due to their floppy tongue and extended muzzle, but with some practice and patience, they could probably manage to slur some words together. Learning to talk that way would be a really long process though, as every time they shift back to their human form, they would become reaccustomed to their human mouth parts and likely forget a lot of their practice in practicing with the muzzle. It would be kind of like trying to learn how to ride a bike backwards -- with enough practice one could manage it, but as soon as we repositioned ourselves in the right direction, we'd find the process much easier and neglect to remember what we'd learned about doing it the hard way.

If absolutely necessary, a werewolf could probably communicate through writing, hand signals, or if it's a pack of werewolves, always designate one member of the pack to remain in human form to speak on behalf of the pack of the need arises. But, sometimes body language and facial expression are all you need to give a werewolf some character. In fact, the fewer lines a character has I've noticed, the less likely he is to irritate the audience.
Besides, if their using prostetics for shots where there would be any dialogue (which I recommend because being animate with nothing is a real b**** for the actors), a talking werewolf would look like something out of the Polar Bear King. :lol:

Wether they can talk or not, you should definitely consider making a few stops at some wolf sanctuaries to see if any of their body language inspires you. Vocal or not, body language is really what makes a character (imagine doing 'to be, or not to be' while standing stiff as a board).

Post by Guest »

Good point abut the communication through body language between the werewolves, suitle changes in ear position, tail muzzle and heckles all for comunicaion is a good idea , along with different vocalizations.
But on the other paw (heheh) they might need to talk to humans while as a werewolf which means they'd at least have to learn some way of comunticating that way
Soty
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Soty »

Would be an interesting scene. A werewolf calling in sick for work so he can still have a job in the morning. I'd imagine the vocal effects would help create the illusion of a sick human.
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

I agree that a more experienced werewolf, one who has accepted and can possibly even control their shifting, ought to be able to communicate vocally to some extent.

On the flip side, anyone who can't control their change, or who considers themself to be a monster because of what they are probably wouldn't care enough to learn.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Anonymous wrote:But on the other paw (heheh) they might need to talk to humans while as a werewolf which means they'd at least have to learn some way of comunticating that way
Like I said in my previous post, if they had to, they could use sign language, writing, or if there's a big enough pack, demand that the omega remain in human form to speak on their behalf. Or, as has been stated, a highly experienced werewolf could be able to form some words with his extended muzzle.

The only thing I wouldn't agree with would be if all werewolves could naturally speak just as well as they would in their human forms. That would too convenient for the protagonist(s).

Post by Guest »

For some reason I like the idea of telepathy between werewolves. They can speak to other werewolves in wolf form or human form but normal humans can't hear them.

Post by Guest »

Dear lord I did it again! The above post is mine -_-;;
Moon Drummer

Post by Moon Drummer »

First of all, I LOVE that animation clip!
Two possibilities:
One, werewolves learn to talk in their alternate form the way a person with braces/other physical limitations learns to talk.
Two, perhaps in the werewolf form they are forced to speak a different language, one that the wolf muzzle makes easier to use.
Darksong17
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Darksong17 »

Both of the above guest comments are mine. Grr.
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

Im not real sure if it would need to talk or not. I mean, why would a werewolf need to have dialogue with its prey?
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, there are a few different ways you could go...

A: You could make werewolves able to relearn how to talk over time....

B: You could make talking impossible, but give werewolves a natural skill with visual communications such as sign language.

C: Sorta combine option A and B, Werewolves would be able to relearn how to talk over time, but most would learn sign language long before they learned how to talk in werewolf form.

D: Ignore the change of form and allow werewolves to relearn how to talk within a few hours of changing.

E: They could have thier own little language like an earlier person suggested. It'd probably be a combination of simple sounds, body language, and communicating via scents.
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

I think e is the most sensible option. Wolves have their own way of communicating, so why not have their own werewolf language.
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Well whatever way it goes, try to avoid the roaing werewolf. I see it in movies all the time and it is very annoying. Why/how would a werewolf roar? Humans dont, real wolves dont, so why have it at all? To show anger, loud, angry snarls would do.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well whatever way it goes, try to avoid the roaing werewolf. I see it in movies all the time and it is very annoying. Why/how would a werewolf roar? Humans dont, real wolves dont, so why have it at all? To show anger, loud, angry snarls would do.
Well, humans can yell, really load, sort of a mock roar I suppose. So wolves wouldn't be able to roar per say but they could do a sort of angry hollering howl.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, but many werewolf films have them roaring like lions. Sounds exactly like bears or lions.

Werewolves would most likely use more nonverbal ways of "talking". But I think that they should be able to communicate verbaly at least a little somehow.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well it could always be written in that werewolves can talk but that it strains thier vocal cords, so they always keep things brief and communicate visually whenever they can.

I suppose that'd be option F.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah; I kinda like the idea of subtitles for the werewolves. It would be interesting, though a wide range of wolf sounds would be needed :)
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Yeah, subtitles would be interesting, and a fairly wide veriety of wolf sounds would be needed to create a real language. Though an absolutely real language probably isn't needed, werewolves are probably useually human, the wolf language would probably be a simple language for things like coordinating movments, giving simple instructions, things like that.

I did leave a comment on this subject elsewhere, maybe I should move that comment here though.

hmm...
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Not having the werewolves able to talk is probably a good way to go. Subtitles may be a good idea as well, though I imagine that any werewolf language would be more a combination of body language and simply sounds then a formal language.

Thus, it'd be, kinda hard to teach to a newbie werewolf, because wolf sounds are a little difficult to make in human form, and you couldn't talk while in the wolfman form. Understandably, it'd probably take a little while for a new werewolf to become comfortable with the new language.

Might actually be funny to see a newbie werewolf bungle the language though. ;)

"May I eat your wife?"

"What!?"

Heheh, sorry, couldn't resist.

(This comment was originally posted in the "Responses from the Director," section, but it felt like it'd be more appropriot to move it here.)
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

A newbie werewolf could have some kindof understanding of the launguage after they first transform. Though learning the details and understanding it all could take a while longer.