Demonology?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
lycancomplex
Legendary
Legendary

Demonology?

Post by lycancomplex »

I was wondering, are werewolves considered as demons?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

First...Define" Demon".
It means more than one thing that could apply here
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Usually, no, werewolves are not considered to be "demons," provided one uses the definition of a demon as being an evil spirit of some sort.
This is because a werewolf is generally defined as being a human who can transform into a wolf, or assume wolf-like features.
However, some people have created (the idea of) werewolves as people who gain the ability to assume the powers and or form of a wolf through demonic pacts, ala "a deal with the devil."
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Depends on who you ask. I don't consider them such, and neither do most werewolf fans, except for those who come at it strictly from the horror angle. Most therians consider the "demon" label a blatant insult, since it implies evil-ness.

Still, the werewolf of 16th century European folklore was considered an evil sorcerer in league with demons, and several crappy even-numbered Howling sequels worked with the idea that lycanthropes were demons.

But, ultimately, no. We're not. Ehem, I mean, they're not. Little misprint there, don't read anything into it.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
lycancomplex
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycancomplex »

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Then it would be a demonic wolf that could assume a human form.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

In middle ages, werewolves were believed to be minions of satan :P
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Moonstalker wrote:In middle ages, werewolves were believed to be minions of satan :P
With a reason. In several books and religious writings, werewolves were mentioned as 'minions of Satan'. But on the other hand, not everything that is written, is true.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

The Christian Church's stance on things back in the Middle Ages:
"Predators of peasants and or peasants' livelihood" = "Minions of Satan"
"Competitors of peasants and or peasants' livelihood" ="Minions of Satan"
-Calculon
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

On Buffy they are demons. But Joss Whedon and his crew have defined demons possibly by his own creation. So it depends how you yourself define demon.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Kirk Hammett wrote:On Buffy they are demons. But Joss Whedon and his crew have defined demons possibly by his own creation. So it depends how you yourself define demon.
In the Buffyverse, werewolves weren't demons.
They were cursed humans who passed on their curse whenever they bite another human (and didn't kill them as a result).
Vampires were demons, sort of.
-Calculon
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Not by default, but as Scott said, they would be demons to some people. . . But then again, some people also consider Pokemon and Harry Potter to be demons. It's just a matter of who you ask.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Terastas wrote:Not by default, but as Scott said, they would be demons to some people. . . But then again, some people also consider Pokemon and Harry Potter to be demons. It's just a matter of who you ask.
"Are you chewing gum, Harry Potter?"
"No, ma'am, hellfire!"
*foosh*
"Ahahah! Wonderful!"
-Calculon
strykeriuswolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ARMY Wolf

Post by strykeriuswolf »

Sence nobody did it i took the liberty, i got this defination off of answers.com

1. An evil supernatural being; a devil.

If you want the Encylcopidea thingy here is the link

http://www.answers.com/topic/demon
I dun care what people say about us furries, I'm darn proud to be one and have always been proud. POWER TO THE FURRIES
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Demons....

Post by RedEye »

Back in the Day...you could be Demonified easily...just be different.
Be of the Wrong Christian Religion. Be of any other religion, period.
Be a Moor, a Chinese, a Viking, basically, anybody that was different from the Standard model Christian (Catholic).

OR...be an "Immodest Woman"

Tolerance wasn't a really big thing, back then...or now, for that matter, although we ARE doing better.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Yes, kindling is more expensive today.
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Last edited by Vuldari on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Kirk Hammett wrote:On Buffy they are demons. But Joss Whedon and his crew have defined demons possibly by his own creation. So it depends how you yourself define demon.
In the Buffyverse, werewolves weren't demons.
They were cursed humans who passed on their curse whenever they bite another human (and didn't kill them as a result).
Vampires were demons, sort of.
I always thought they were called demons but am too lazy and have too bad a memory to even bother :P you're probably right.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:There is also the Japanise Demon, which is the generic name for a supernatural creature of almost any sort, evil or not.

For example, a friendly Kitsune would be considered a "Demon".

If you watch any japanise Anime, you will encounter this use of the word VERY frequently.
InuYasha being the classic example. By their definition, even Shippo counts as a demon.
RedEye wrote:Back in the Day...you could be Demonified easily...just be different.
Be of the Wrong Christian Religion. Be of any other religion, period.
Be a Moor, a Chinese, a Viking, basically, anybody that was different from the Standard model Christian (Catholic).

OR...be an "Immodest Woman"

Tolerance wasn't a really big thing, back then...or now, for that matter, although we ARE doing better.
It still isn't. When I was in college, one of my english professors almost lost his job because a parent complained about his textbook which included "a picture of the Buddah, among other Satanic images."
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Hmmmmm...

Post by RedEye »

That might be the result of early Christianity in Japan, where EVERY spirit was a demon, according to the Catholic Missionaries of the day.
Wisely, the Shogun gave them the boot, but the word probably remained into the modern period.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

okay...this may not fully answer anybody's question but I'll give it a shot....................ahem...what about the story in the bible where God turned King Nebuchadnezzer into a beast with quote"hair as long as an eagle's feathers and nails as the vulture's talons" for seven years.

Oh......and just because you are a minion of satan doesn't mean you are a demon, mortal witches and spell casters were concidered minions of satan but were not thought of as demons.
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Moon Daughter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Door to Darkness

Post by Moon Daughter »

Demons, by all normal stadards, are considered to be in no part at all human. They can take human form, but nothing of humanity exists within them. There are different species of demons (like someone mentioned Inuyasha) and even half demons, which are partially human.

Lycanthropy, whether you believe the basis be magical or scientific, has nothing to do with demons. In terms of the supernatural and magical, lycanthropy is normally considered a "curse" that is placed upon humans. In terms of scientifically, it is considered to be a "virus" with no possible connection to anything demonic.

Even though wereolves have been called "demonic", this does not make them demons. This is simply saying that they appear "demon-like" as in inhuman (like the gestalt or wolf form).
"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man." -Dr. Johnson
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Moon Daughter wrote:Demons, by all normal stadards, are considered to be in no part at all human. They can take human form, but nothing of humanity exists within them. There are different species of demons (like someone mentioned Inuyasha) and even half demons, which are partially human.

Lycanthropy, whether you believe the basis be magical or scientific, has nothing to do with demons. In terms of the supernatural and magical, lycanthropy is normally considered a "curse" that is placed upon humans. In terms of scientifically, it is considered to be a "virus" with no possible connection to anything demonic.

Even though wereolves have been called "demonic", this does not make them demons. This is simply saying that they appear "demon-like" as in inhuman (like the gestalt or wolf form).
Sometimes, people bargained with demons to become werewolves. The verses of spells that would change a person into a werewolf (ala wolf's belt and unbaptized baby's fat ointment) had the caster ask the various evil spirits of the 4 Elements, in turns, to lend him the power to cast off his human form.
-Calculon
lycancomplex
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycancomplex »

I quess there could be different types of werewolves out there? :wings: :angel: :family: