What about tatoos??

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

What about tatoos??

Post by Teenwolf »

:D

What about tatoos when you shift into gestalt form?

Can someone see them on your fur (darker fur at that areas) or is it on the skin under the fur ? Well that are questions that go around in my head... ??
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Covered with fur.

Next! :jester:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Post by Teenwolf »

yes, that was that what i tought... :D
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

If someone gets a tattoo, you skin will be shaved before they make it. So after the tattoo is on, the hair just grows back. So I don't see why the colors should be different or something.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Hair isn't the only issue, the skin stretches as well and then retracts. The regeneration prevents stretch marks and such but the ink is not part of your body. In fact I could forsee the tatoo vanishing after shifting and never returning as the body could view it as a scar and thus bleed out the ink and heal the scar in the werewolf form.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I always imagined it disappearing...although I didn't think about why it disappeared, I just wanted it to.

It was just a story I wrote several years ago...it was set in medieval times when they tattooed slaves, so the werewolf slave character cheated and shifted it off and hence was able to escape authority notice.

I just didn't go into any science...so I'm thrilled to see a thread! :lol:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

lol... I can imagine a newbie werewolf asking for a refund from the local tatooist saying he used invisible ink...

"Dood... I just saw that tatoo a second ago! You ripped me off!!! I want my money back!"

:lol:
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

definately covered by the fur....no change in appearance would be visible in fur color.... :)
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

I imagine tattos would be completley destroyed in a shift due to the fact that a tattoo would not be associated with the lycanthropy virus.
Eat more tobasco.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

yeah...perhaps also with all the streacthing that the skin would udergo it would be over time out of shape and distorted...... :)
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Yeah... I don't think tattoo's would last longer than the first one or two shifts afterward, if even that.

Between the surface alteration and distortions associated with shifting and the natural breaking-down of the inks by the body likely being accelerated by the lycanthropic healing factor...

Some guy could start out with a bold, vivid tattoo of Christie Brinkley...

and a few weeks later...

he looks like he's got a worn, faded-out tattoo of David Bowie.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

ChaosWolf wrote: Some guy could start out with a bold, vivid tattoo of Christie Brinkley...

and a few weeks later...

he looks like he's got a worn, faded-out tattoo of David Bowie.
ughhhhh!!!!! How repulsive! :sickpup:
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I think it would get progressively distorted untill you look like you have a faded bruise when then vanishes. Fur would cover it, though.
Draca
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Draca »

In real life hair just grows over tattoos, blurring or obscuring them. Depending on your preference though you could have the tattoo dye the hair (ala Surf's Up's Cody Maverick) or you could have the hair shaved/removed in the tattooed area.

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I may be repeating someone else's suggestion, but...

Lycanthropy's regenerative capabilities might wash out tattoos fairly quickly. Among those in my storyline, tattoos would last maybe a week or so. It would get hidden under fur, but if you shaved, the tattoo would appear distorted where the skin stretched to fit the animal or Gestalt form. (Technically, my werewolves don't have a fixed Gestalt form; they shift to wolves and can assume a Gestalt form by stopping mid-shift. One can also be more human-like or more wolf-like in appearance.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Scott Gardener wrote:I may be repeating someone else's suggestion, but...

Lycanthropy's regenerative capabilities might wash out tattoos fairly quickly. Among those in my storyline, tattoos would last maybe a week or so. It would get hidden under fur, but if you shaved, the tattoo would appear distorted where the skin stretched to fit the animal or Gestalt form. (Technically, my werewolves don't have a fixed Gestalt form; they shift to wolves and can assume a Gestalt form by stopping mid-shift. One can also be more human-like or more wolf-like in appearance.)
Don't tell that to the Lon Chaney Jr. Wolf-man fans: they get nasty and bite your ankles.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'd personally find a way to get an artificial scar. Find some sort of benign bacteria that'll just stunt the healing of the skin after the operation or whatever.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, tats wouldnt be visable in wolf/gestalt form. The fur would cover that up, unless you turn into a Harry Potter bald werewolf thingy :P But a bald were, or shaved one would have a distorted tattoo, like Scott already said. Proably a good thing too. A ww hunter or something could then reconize you in your human form if it did show.

I wonder, would a brand maybe show through fur? Like a design on a peice of burning hot iron pressed into the skin... ??
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Silverclaw wrote:Yeah, tats wouldnt be visable in wolf/gestalt form. The fur would cover that up, unless you turn into a Harry Potter bald werewolf thingy :P But a bald were, or shaved one would have a distorted tattoo, like Scott already said. Proably a good thing too. A ww hunter or something could then reconize you in your human form if it did show.

I wonder, would a brand maybe show through fur? Like a design on a peice of burning hot iron pressed into the skin... ??
Since a brand is a scar in a recognizable form or shape, I guess it would depend on whether Were's made scar tissue or just healed over everything.
Point to consider, though, is that burns are a totally different animal when it comes to treatment and healing: I've been cut and healed clean, yet been burned (and not that badly) and have a small scar where it happened.
So, maybe Were's don't heal burns much better than Smoothskins, and get scars that would show as messed up fur or something like that. That would be a good plot device, since it would be a visible connection between a Were' and a Smooth- as being the same person. Ouch!
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Silverclaw wrote:I wonder, would a brand maybe show through fur? Like a design on a peice of burning hot iron pressed into the skin... ??
Might depend on what kind of brand it is. There are two, hot and cold. Hot burns the hair off and well..burns. A cold brand strips all of the pigment out of the hair, which grows back in white.
Shadow_in_the_Moonlight
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shadow_in_the_Moonlight »

when one aquires a burn, the skin may heal, but without pores, and so can niether sweat nor grow hair from that spot. its doesnt matter how fast or well the were heals. the burned area will never grow hair.
"The wise ones keep far from these Deeps,
for in the shadows dwell and creep
all manner dark and sere and fair
of twilight's kith - these woods their lair."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

kitetsu wrote:I'd personally find a way to get an artificial scar. Find some sort of benign bacteria that'll just stunt the healing of the skin after the operation or whatever.
In some tribes in Africa, they initiate children into adulthood by scarring them, in that they cut a design into the skin, and then rub ashes into the wounds to promote inflammation that, in turn, promotes the formation of the desired scars.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
bar1scorpio
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Sierra Mist Abuser

Post by bar1scorpio »

First off, you're assuming that piercings and tattoos would 'take' as opposed to 'instantly heal'. One way to tell a true werewolf would be their utter lack of bodily scarification.
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlein

"The World Will Be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

(Question: What if you got the tattoo in werewolf form?)
Assumeing the artist knows about what you are and isn't completely freaked out by it, of course.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

kitetsu wrote:I'd personally find a way to get an artificial scar. Find some sort of benign bacteria that'll just stunt the healing of the skin after the operation or whatever.
Stunting the healing wouldn't scar. Scar tissue results from the body healing something too quickly - throwing a bunch of tissue at the injury and sorting it out later.

Given the high regeneration of lycanthropes, they'd probably scar lots easier than normal humans. Burning/scarring a design into their flesh would probably work easier than a tattoo.

But it'd hurt a helluva lot more.