can a werewolf use items and such

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Trying to run free
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

can a werewolf use items and such

Post by lunarwolf »

well i'm new and i thought of this question can a werewolf use an item like a weapon or something else(i'm not sure if anyone else asked this question)
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

As far as I'm concerned, they are certainly capable of doing so. But I don't think they actually would, or that it would make much sense for them to do so.

A werewolf toting around a gun pretty much makes it where they could just as easily be human. Werewolves are walking weapons all on their own, so them using man-made weapons instead of their natural ones makes the fact that they are werewolves almost irrelevant.

So...yeah, werewolves most certainly could use weapons. But I don't particularly like the idea of them doing so, and I probably wouldn't watch a movie where they did...unless it was something primitive like a club or spear. :|
Night Rain
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Night Rain »

I'm not sure . . . I could see them having some difficulty with finer things like triggers and the safety of a gun. Their fingers might not even fit in a trigger guard.
"Don't mind the blood here; welcome to the slaughterhouse!"
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

I can't see too much of a problem, they could always modify existing designs to make them more 'user-friendly'.
Eat more tobasco.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Renorei wrote:
A werewolf toting around a gun pretty much makes it where they could just as easily be human. Werewolves are walking weapons all on their own, so them using man-made weapons instead of their natural ones makes the fact that they are werewolves almost irrelevant.
Excepting when you're being shot at and have no time to shift back - or want to utilize the enhanced senses. :P

In the Silo 17 games, I learned the hard way a guy is damned useful even for a werewolf. Claws won't do you s*** if you take a bullet through the lung(damned snipers), or nearly have your foot shot off at the ankle...

...Or are shot multiple times with a full-auto rifle (Poor A627...) or are shot in the head, or have enemies firing at them from all sides....etc. Sometimes if one wants to live, ranged combat is the only way at killing someone else before your brains end up splattered on the floor.

Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who gamed a Chat-game with Werewolves who don't have super-human regenerative capabilities that produce near-invincibility. Which makes getting a bullet in the lung something to be worried about. We get shot at. Alot. Be it by human soldiers, gangsters, cops, bounty hunters, or a A10 Warthog's machine gun and/or missles. This stuff tends to be deadly, if it hits in the right spot. And well, with the last too its' deadly no matter where it hit. A A10 can rip tanks apart with the machine gun, and missles will kerplode you. Chance of surviving either is....really low.

But yeah. Trying to be total melee in a world with guns, and you'll end up like the dude in Indiana Jones who was looking all badass with his sword skills until Indie pulled out his pistol and shot him. Maybe you won't die in such a embarassing fashion, but you're likely to end up dead anyways.
I can't see too much of a problem, they could always modify existing designs to make them more 'user-friendly'.
Yeah. But I doubt there's going to be much trouble. Trigger guards are big too account for people with meaty fingers, most of the time. :P

I can see of a werewolf capable of utilizing most things a human can, albeit some a bit more clumsily (like a keyboard. Claws aren't helpful for typing.)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Aki wrote:
Renorei wrote:
Excepting when you're being shot at and have no time to shift back - or want to utilize the enhanced senses. :P

In the Silo 17 games, I learned the hard way a guy is damned useful even for a werewolf. Claws won't do you S#@^ if you take a bullet through the lung(damned snipers), or nearly have your foot shot off at the ankle...

...Or are shot multiple times with a full-auto rifle (Poor A627...) or are shot in the head, or have enemies firing at them from all sides....etc. Sometimes if one wants to live, ranged combat is the only way at killing someone else before your brains end up splattered on the floor.

Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who gamed a Chat-game with Werewolves who don't have super-human regenerative capabilities that produce near-invincibility. Which makes getting a bullet in the lung something to be worried about. We get shot at. Alot. Be it by human soldiers, gangsters, cops, bounty hunters, or a A10 Warthog's machine gun and/or missles. This stuff tends to be deadly, if it hits in the right spot. And well, with the last too its' deadly no matter where it hit. A A10 can rip tanks apart with the machine gun, and missles will kerplode you. Chance of surviving either is....really low.

But yeah. Trying to be total melee in a world with guns, and you'll end up like the dude in Indiana Jones who was looking all badass with his sword skills until Indie pulled out his pistol and shot him. Maybe you won't die in such a embarassing fashion, but you're likely to end up dead anyways.
... It's exactly why i chuck a fit everytime someone insists a werewolf has to fight the bloody traditional way up against a 20 foot tall powersuit with a assault rifles the size of A10 guns.

I LOVE YOU AKI. GIMME A HUG.
Aki wrote:
Yeah. But I doubt there's going to be much trouble. Trigger guards are big too account for people with meaty fingers, most of the time. :P

I can see of a werewolf capable of utilizing most things a human can, albeit some a bit more clumsily (like a keyboard. Claws aren't helpful for typing.)
With this issue, the werewolves could improvise by blunting their claws, though that would totally detract the combat performance (unless you want the keyboard keys to be full of tiny craters). And also note that there are some guns that lack any trigger guard at all like the FAMAS. Though... If the finger is too wide, that would be a cue for customizers to develop longer gun handles.

To answer Lunar, i most definitely do not have a problem with werewolves using s*** like cellphones. You could get a few laughs out of that of course, like that time i heard stories about an arab dressed in full nomad clothing talking to his cellphone in the middle of the sahara. lol

Though it is very much up to the werewolf to decide wether or not they will do such things. If they think learning improvised Karate is bollocks, then that's their loss.
Night Rain
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Night Rain »

... It's exactly why i chuck a fit everytime someone insists a werewolf has to fight the bloody traditional way up against a 20 foot tall powersuit with a assault rifles the size of A10 guns.
How would you get this on a 20ft high "powersuit"? Take note the length of the complete weapon . . .
"Don't mind the blood here; welcome to the slaughterhouse!"
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

Post by lunarwolf »

ok thats huge wow.....
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Night Rain wrote:
How would you get this on a 20ft high "powersuit"? Take note the length of the complete weapon . . .

It could be shortened so This kind of powersuit can use it.

Actually, i correct myself. 30 feet.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote: ...Or are shot multiple times with a full-auto rifle (Poor A627...) or are shot in the head
I think it's funny that the time I got shot in the head I came out better than the time I got shot in the ankle.

Aki wrote: We get shot at. Alot.
I think that should be the new tagline for the game. :grinp:
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Weapons(?)

Post by RedEye »

First-off, the Werewolf has the same weaponry that any Smooth has: Located between and under the Ears (between on a Smooth): namely, the Brain. Everything else is secondary, including teeth and claws: it takes a brain to effectively use these two "built-ins".
Why would a Werewolf carry a gun (Pistol)? Simple: it buys space. Space between you and the Hunter. If you can keep the Hunter's head down, you can get away; and then re-arrange the situation to your interests and needs. And folks, Figarou pointed out that perhaps you can't get a Werewolf finger in the Trigger guard...but a claw fits nicely.
And shame on you for not checking fit in the first place!
A Werewolf with a gun is NOT a furry Smooth(human)...a Werewolf with a gun is a Werewolf with a gun. Period. Shoulder holsters recommended.
Guns aside, you can use your strength to throw things a long way, very hard. You can pick up a 2X4 and you have a club. It isn't how much Weaponry a Were' carries...it's how smart and crafty they are...especially when there's a Hunter around. A Werewolf combines Human Smarts with Wulfen Strength and Built-ins...properly used, a usually unbeatable combination.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

kitetsu wrote:... It's exactly why i chuck a fit everytime someone insists a werewolf has to fight the bloody traditional way up against a 20 foot tall powersuit with a assault rifles the size of A10 guns.
Why the Hell does anyone imagine individual werewolves facing such outragious opponents?

-----------------------------------------------
Weapons like that are not in the posession of individuals with vendettas against werewolves. They are the tools of ARMIES at WAR.

In a WAR-like scenario, if a Werewolf was on the opposing side to an enemy with such weapons in thier posession (20 foot, armed power-suits), the army that the Werewolf is allied with would not match them against that monstrosity.

The tanks and hellocopters would be dirrected towards that obsticle.

...the werewolf would be orderd towards anti-personnel and/or spy-reconnesance...not anti-WalkingTank duty.

This whole persistant attitude that werewolves are supposed to be super, all-powerful, one-man-armies drives me nuts.

...why is having physical advantages in all senses, speed and strength categories vs. normal humans not good enough?

OF COURSE they can't take on an entire, fully armed and manned Battleship of Highly trained Soldiers armed with Armor piercing Automatic Rifles and Rocket Launchers...using only thier bare claws...

...what made you think they were ever supposed to?

If a werewolf is in a situation where their "werewolfness" is of no aid to them,
(Like having a Sniper or a TANK on your @**), obviously they should remain in human form and use whatever OTHER strategies that would be more useful.

Transforming into Gestalt or Wolf form is not, nor ever was supposed to be the answer to EVERY POSSIBLE dangerous situation.

YES...a gestalt werewolf Could theoritically fire a gun if a situation demanded it.

But in a scenario of all-out High-Tech Warfare, where close-range melee combat between individual soldiers never happens, then being a werewolf has NO significant advantage whatsoever, and therefore it really doesn't matter.

When Explosives Trump Claws, Heat-sensing Infared Goggles Trump good night vision, deafening noise makes enhanced hearing useless, and radar and/or satilite monitoring far out-ranges a werewolves sense of smell...the physical atributes of the soldiers no longer matters...only thier knowlage, skill and experience with the Tools Of War.

----------------------------------------------

In a setting where there are few or no weapons, and there is no armor to hide behind...a Werewolf is an overwhelmingly Fearsome opponent.

In a Setting where the Landscape is exploding around you...Lycanthropy is little more than an afterthought. Accelerated Healing wont help you if you are blown to bits.

-----------------------------------------

In the end, I just have almost no interest in reading or seeing stories in which werewolves are constantly getting into Gun-Fights with normal-humans and/or other werewolves.

I mean...other than their 'Lycanthropy' being used as the excuse for WHY they are shooting at each other, what would really be the point of giving them a cool transformation if you are just going to allways put them in scenarios where their alter-form is useless?

If you are going to create a fictional universe for the werewolves to exist in, you might as well make it a world in which being a werewolf actually has some significance, other than just looking funny...otherwise, what is the point?

That is what I have to say on the subject of Werewolves and Guns.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Vuldari wrote:
kitetsu wrote:... It's exactly why i chuck a fit everytime someone insists a werewolf has to fight the bloody traditional way up against a 20 foot tall powersuit with a assault rifles the size of A10 guns.
Why the Hell does anyone imagine individual werewolves facing such outragious opponents?

In a setting where there are few or no weapons, and there is no armor to hide behind...a Werewolf is an overwhelmingly Fearsome opponent.

In the end, I just have almost no interest in reading or seeing stories in which werewolves are constantly getting into Gun-Fights with normal-humans and/or other werewolves.

That is what I have to say on the subject of Werewolves and Guns.
OK...First off, I did some Editing (obviously). Putting Werewolves into into conflict with "Mecha-Warriors" can be attributed to creeping Japonification, or Seduction-by-Anime.
What I can see is the Werewolf sneaking up, knocking out the 'Warrior Driver, and using the "Mecha-Warrior" to get the Hell out of Dodge in a hurry. Usually the places where you find such machinery is not friendly towards the Werewolf's natural weapons. So, the Werewolf uses his/her Brain to get to a place where things are a bit more salubrious to them.

Werewolves with guns? Guns are tools. Were's are Lycan tool users. Would a Werewolf regularly carry a gun? No. Would a Werewolf use a Gun as a tool of combat against a Hunter who presumably HAS a High-Powered Rifle with a Telescopic Sight? You betcha!...Along with rocks, spears, sticks, duckies...whatever it takes to move the Combat situation into a more usable theatre for the Werewolf. That was the point I made: Were's aren't just Biped Wolves with smarts: they are supposedly the best of Human and Lupus; Smart, strong, clever, and adaptable.

Werewolves who eschew modern weapons for their Teeth and claws will go down before Humans who use the best tools for the Theatre they're in.
That's what makes the Werewolf such a fascinating fighter (when they fight): they adapt to what is necessary to prevail. Combine the Intelligence of the Human with the cleverness of the Wolf, add in the empowered senses, and you have a superior Warrior in any theatre of combat, whether with guns, Swords and Spears, rocks and sticks, or Teeth and claws; and you have a survivor, a fight-winner who can use the methods and weapons appropriate to the incident.

And above all, what makes the Werewolf a fight winner is the Wolf-like and Human-like ability to think. To use the Ultimate Weapon: the Mind.
And with enhanced senses and a sharp mind, the Werewolf is an outstanding Fighter...although He/She would most likely prefer to be cuddled with their Mate, playing with their pups, instead of Fighting.

What I hope to see in the Movie is the 90+% part of a Werewolf's life;
the Gentleness, the Caring, the essential goodness that is a part of them and is ignored by Human Hunters (racism, anyone?) There has to be a LOT more to Werewolves than what we've seen> Combat, combat, combat, and more Combat. There has to be more in there...we just haven't seen it!
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

In Bitten, one of the new werewolves was chastized for using a knife.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lunarwolf »

wow that was some good explaining redeye and vuldari :o
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

A human can choose to either use a weapon, or use his basic fighting-skills. I think a werewolf can do the same.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

The problem with the use of weapons is that it's a learned skill. Anyone can pick up a staff, but if you don't know how to use it you're alot more likely to hurt yourself than your opponent. It doesn't matter if you're a werewolf or not. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get your a** handed to you anyway.
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lunarwolf »

Set wrote:The problem with the use of weapons is that it's a learned skill. Anyone can pick up a staff, but if you don't know how to use it you're alot more likely to hurt yourself than your opponent. It doesn't matter if you're a werewolf or not. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get your a** handed to you anyway.
He does have a point.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Set wrote:The problem with the use of weapons is that it's a learned skill. Anyone can pick up a staff, but if you don't know how to use it you're alot more likely to hurt yourself than your opponent. It doesn't matter if you're a werewolf or not. If you don't know what you're doing you'll get your a** handed to you anyway.
True...

A matchup of an inexperienced werewolf with superhuman strength and senses who's never held a gun in his life...in the posession of an M16 automatic rifle...

Vs...an old grey and slow, 'retired' army sniper with a really good pistol...

Will likely end with a dead werewolf on the floor with a bullet between his eyes if he decides to try to stand-off with the old pro in a shooting match instead of using his speed to get out of harms way ASAP.

In the same vein, I still think that a 'Rookie' werewolf with no combat experience would be in trouble if faced against a strong human with considerable fighting skill and training in a hand-to-claw melee fight.
(...and still not "Invincible", even if the werewolf Did have Combat skill...IMHO...)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lunarwolf »

him too (he has a point)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vuldari wrote:
True...

A matchup of an inexperienced werewolf with superhuman strength and senses who's never held a gun in his life...in the posession of an M16 automatic rifle...

Vs...an old grey and slow, 'retired' army sniper with a really good pistol...

Will likely end with a dead werewolf on the floor with a bullet between his eyes if he decides to try to stand-off with the old pro in a shooting match instead of using his speed to get out of harms way ASAP.
Well, with that matchup like that the werewolf could just as easily get taken down while running. A sharpshooter like that could easily cripple the speed aspect by taking one or more legs out of the equation, or going simply for the kill. :P

Skill kinda evens the ground even if the other guy's got superhuman abilities.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

We have covered some things on topic such as fighting and household appliances, but never specifically "items" as a whole.

I think it depends more or less on how you imagine a werewolf's forelimb to be shaped. In terms of Freeborn, this is what we're looking at:

The fingers in this case don't look nearly as dexterous, but it still has five of them. I imagine they'd still be able to handle some slashing/bashing weapons, like a kitchen knife, baseball bat or other common household items, but would have a great deal of difficulty handling weapons with moving parts like most firearms.

It more or less depends on how the hands/forepaws are shaped. The Freeborn werewolf could handle some simplistic weapons, Jonathan Talbain could fight with anything and R.J. Lupin is screwed. You'd have to answer that question before you could accurately describe how useful their hands are.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Last edited by Vuldari on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye

Point ?

Post by RedEye »

Vuldari, I'm not saying the Werewolf would fight reflexively with firearms and such...I was pointing out that there is Human abillity in that Were', and they would use those as readily as the Wolf capabililities.

As a rule, Ther Werewolf would be armed only with what nature issues:
Claws, Teeth, and the combined cunning of Human and Wolf. If, however, said Werewolf knew he/she was going to have to face an armed human, then if they have the weapons skills, said Were' would likely grab a firearm, if for no other reason than this: The Were' could lay down supressive fire (shooting to keep the other guy's head down) while closing in to grapple and bite.

I am perhaps prejudiced: I AM an old, grey haired Army sniper, and that would be reflex to me.

It we are dealing with an un-trained, newly crossed Werewolf, who never even had basic weapons training; then the best method would be to run, as fast as possible.

And THEN get weapons training.

IF we postulate a group of Nutcases determined to wipe out every Werewolf they find, Then it becomes necessary to be able to carry the fight to the enemy. What I am not theorizing is a sort of Werewolf Super-Soldier (although I am using them in my book).
SO, scrap the Kevlar, the Helmets, everything else not available over the counter. They don't happen (Unless the Army makes a little deal...) to Werewolves: the Were' uses his/her own natural weapons, then found weapons, and last and rarely: Prepared weapons.

That fits both Wolf...and Human (and Were's are both). The Were is first and formost a Wolf/Human mixture with Wolf/Human capacities...just keep in mind that Tool use is part of the Human mindset, and weapons are tools, and the most effective tool is the Mind...
And Wolves are the most intelligent Canines in the Americas.