An Idea

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

An Idea

Post by Vilkacis »

Kzinistzerg wrote:Also for the role-playing forum, I think the forum should be split. The reason why is that we mainly have two types of RP games: the 'post whenever you want, and we don't have a Game Master or official lore' type, which can be fun but are ususally informal, and the "There's a universe and a background and a GM and you have to sign up' type which often last much longer and are more serious. And example of the first type would be... oh... any of those threads in which we just throw stuff at each other in character. The second would be Baphnedia's RP game. In any case we would have one forum for the informal gaming and one forum for the more rigidly-defined games.
Personally, I'd love to see this. I enjoy games with a lot of structure, planning, and consistency. I jumped on Baphnedia's game for this very reason. But other than the one Kzinistzerg hinted at starting some time back, I haven't felt anywhere near the same level interest for the many dozens that have popped up since -- that style of play simply doesn't have the same appeal to me.

So, I'm going to second that motion.

-- Vilkacis
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Is this something only moderators can vote on?

But if it's not i vote yes.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I think we should, I like RP's that are structured and well thought out, and the posts that people take time thinking them out and carefully writting them insted of a two lined post that is only a small bit of dialog.

The only problem is that this kind of forum needs constant moderation, due to newbies that don't know how to do a structured and well thought out post, or even simple RP edicut. OR we can make a group for only RPG savy individuals, and a person can get in if they display a certain amount of standard RP knowlage.

I would volunteer but since people don't want me to be a mod because of my temper and i'm not on as much due to my acess to the internet has been restricted to my library and when my parents arent home, but we just need ONE person that is RP savy and is very active in the forum.
THE GAME

My Armory
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

im a noob and ive been trying to get into the rp games but with not much luck...................lack of an creative mind i guess. do you have to start from the begining and announce your self or do you just pick a good moment and hopfully people roll with it :?
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Usually near the beginning its okay just to jump in if the character is well thought out and it makes sense with the story/world. Also doesn't copy elements from other's character with out their permission

but as a RP gets older and longer some times the people playing it gets annoyed when people has to employ another person on already fun RP, what i mean is that people that are playing is having a good time and they'll feel upset when they have to make room and change the story for a new player, and when this new player has no real skills for a RP, it'll suffer and could be fatal to the game, that means no body would want to play it.

Also you can tell when there is more than five players in the RP, more than five that means its in it's maximum, more than that it start to make people feel crowded out and eventually people will just stop playing.

Also don't try to resurrect dead RPs, people aren't going to play a long since dead RP because those people got bored with or no longer post on the forum any more. So stick to RPs that are currently active those are usually the ones that is on tippy top of the forum, and the symbol should be orange, or yellow idicating that there are new posts. If they are red or black that means no new posts and they might be dead.
Last edited by Anubis on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Just tell me what you want done.

Adding a section will be easy. There is one already made. I'm going to need a name and description. If you need a 3rd section, just say the word.

Assigning "game masters" will be easy to do.

I need to know who and they'll be tagged as "Game Master."

Oh...I'm reducing my time away to one week instead of 2 weeks. I told the boss my stress level is to high. Working 65 hours a week is killing me!! :(
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

I'll do it if you just give me a chance, i have a lot of knowledge about RP's and despite me not having a computer at my home with Internet access I'm committed enough to post every day (which is more than MOST people on the forum) via walking a half a mile to the library and I'll probably get my Internet privileges back in a month or two. also there is seniority I've been here more than a year and i posted, ALOT. I'm less than a thousand behind lupin.

I know i have my temper, but I'm getting it under control. I don't get worked up as more over every thing, and I'm getting better.

Besides if i don't work out you can always take it away.

*on hands and knees*

please, give me a chance!!
THE GAME

My Armory
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

That's pretty nifty, Figarou. I think people might request to be a GM just for that rank image.
:thpt2:

Unless the rank image can be made to only show up in those two forums, something a bit less outstanding might be in order. Heh.

Not much different than Legendary. Just a side note, really.

How do these sound for the two sections?

Informal In-Character Role Playing

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a loose and informal setting.

Formal In-Character Role Playing

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a structured and planned environment that requires commitment from players and storytellers alike.

Now, these things take time to get going. I wouldn't expect a great deal of activity at first. I think one of the first orders of business before anyone gets to posting there is to write a more detailed introduction that we can sticky for the curious. We can work on a draft this weekend and discuss it a bit before launching. How does that sound? That way you don't even have to worry about unlocking it just yet, Figarou. Take your vacation in peace while we talk and plan...

Oh, yes, we'll plan...
:evillaugh:

-- Vilkacis
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well golly-gee, someone noticed mah post!

Seriously though, I think the title of Game master should only go to the person who is currently running a structured game... And were they to be given limited Mod powers it might smooth things along, but just in the RP forums.

Posting a lot does not nessesarily mean you mean a lot of meaningful posts, Anubis. Not pointing the finger at you but post count shouldn't be the major idea here. After all, I've been here longer but I've also posted less.

To gladius: It really depends on the game. Some games require you to 'sign up' at the beginnign and that's it, some you 'sign in' at any time but you have to make a character post. MOSTLY they don't allow you to just barge in. Strucued games are often set in a world that's already been thought through, so there's a bit of lore (even if it's only, "werewolves die by silver and change on full moon. They live in packs in the forest and you can't transmit by bite and it's modern day."). Equally often the game has a defined beginning and end point, the GM is leading the party ususally impartially towards a goal. For instance, the point of the game may be, "find the silver box." and upon finding said silver box the game ends via the Game Master posting. The Game Master usually also posts settings posts to keep everyone on the level as far as what's going on.

In any case, I think the position of Game Master should be reserved for people who are starting a structured RP game.

Anyone who wants to be a GM shoud keep in mind that making and posting in a structured game is much more demanding than just la-dee-da posting because you actually have to keep up with whatever is going on.

EDIT: yeah, those sound like great descriptions.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Kzinistzerg wrote:Seriously though, I think the title of Game master should only go to the person who is currently running a structured game... And were they to be given limited Mod powers it might smooth things along, but just in the RP forums.
I agree. The whole point to the existence of the Game Master rank is to give someone running a game the ability to enforce the rules of their game or any they have been asked to assist. Thus, the title only really makes sense for those in the process of running a game.

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Actualy i'm comming up with a RP, It's a mix of Sci-fi and fantasy. I have real high hopes for it. I think it could be very fun, if people give it a chance. :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Cinder
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Cinder »

I must agree a Formal RP can be alot more exciting then an Informal RP :D but then again some people perfer Informal, so I think the split is a great idea, not to mention it will help organize the In Character RP section.
My dA Page - stop by!
Want a Free Art Trade? Just PM me =^^= A bit inactive here - but you can always find me on dA!
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Cool. I hope it comes out good, Anubis. Try to keep the science straight, though, becasue the very best in both science-fiction and fantasy has real science in it.

Should we also make the RP forums not need to be werewolf related?

That RP I was 'hinting' at earlier is nearly done. I just have to draw up the plans and such.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Kzinistzerg wrote:Cool. I hope it comes out good, Anubis. Try to keep the science straight, though, becasue the very best in both science-fiction and fantasy has real science in it.

That RP I was 'hinting' at earlier is nearly done. I just have to draw up the plans and such.
shure i'll try to keep that in mind :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:That's pretty nifty, Figarou. I think people might request to be a GM just for that rank image.
:thpt2:
Meh...its just an image.

Vilkacis wrote:Unless the rank image can be made to only show up in those two forums, something a bit less outstanding might be in order. Heh.

It'll show up everywhere the person posts.

Vilkacis wrote: How do these sound for the two sections?

Informal In-Character Role Playing

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a loose and informal setting.

Formal In-Character Role Playing

Here you can role-play as your favorite character in a structured and planned environment that requires commitment from players and storytellers alike.

Sounds good.

Vilkacis wrote: Now, these things take time to get going. I wouldn't expect a great deal of activity at first. I think one of the first orders of business before anyone gets to posting there is to write a more detailed introduction that we can sticky for the curious. We can work on a draft this weekend and discuss it a bit before launching. How does that sound? That way you don't even have to worry about unlocking it just yet, Figarou. Take your vacation in peace while we talk and plan...

Oh, yes, we'll plan...
:evillaugh:

-- Vilkacis

Take your time. Let me know when you're ready.

(Now to go back to bed. I'm very tired. Must rest or I'm going to go crazy.)

Kzinistzerg wrote:

I removed the word "werewolf" All it says is "Role-playing."
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Okay, how does this sound?

--------------------------------

Subject: Please Read: Formal Role-Playing

This section is for players and storytellers/game masters who are willing to place themselves under stricter guidelines and commitments for the sake of the game. Some of these requirements may include the following, but are ultimately up to the individual running each game.

History, Lore, Plot, and Setting.

Storytellers and game masters often spend a lot of time and effort constructing a rich environment for players to experience. Players should respect this and make a good effort to maintain consistency and plausibility, for their own enjoyment as well as others'. It's up to the game master to set the stage, but it's up to the players to make it a good game. Remember: it only takes one person to make the game a bad experience for everyone. The best players think about others at least as much as themselves.

If a game master makes lore available, such as world history, culture, etc., it is within reason to ask and expect players to read and abide by it. It's usually pretty obvious when a player hasn't.

Spelling and Grammar

No one is expected to be a literary expert, but it's not unreasonable for a game master to ask players to maintain some minimum level of quality in their text. Even if not asked, it is polite to make a reasonable effort to spell words correctly and use them appropriately. Re-read your post a couple times to make sure.

no 1 wnts 2 rd ths wtf lol

Joining a Game

A game master will usually make it clear when they are looking for players to join a game and what you need to do if you want in. If you are unsure, it's OK to PM them to ask.

Also, don't be offended if they say no. When a game is in progress and going well, a new player can easily upset the balance, even a very skilled one.

Game masters are not required to let someone join a game. It's a privilege, not a right, and it may be revoked at any time for any reason.

Record-Keeping

Players may be asked to keep track of various things like character descriptions, skills, spells, inventory, and various bits of this and that. ...or the game master may choose to do this for them. These tools help maintain consistency, and an effort should be made to always keep them accurate and up-to-date.

Game Systems

Some game masters and players prefer more free-form storytelling, while others prefer systems and game mechanics to decide the outcome of events. Whichever the case is, be sure to stick to the rules as they've been presented. If books or other resources are required, make sure you have reasonable access to them. As far as the rules go, the game master has final say.

Power-playing

Keep things realistic for the current setting, but also keep your character balanced with the other players' characters. No one likes it when someone tries to make their character better than everyone else's. Playing a role-playing game is more of a partnership than anything else.

Don't always try to take the spotlight. Give others a chance to shine. This makes the game an enjoyable experience for all.

In a similar sense, unless you have been given permission to do so, do not take control of someone else's character (even a non-player character) for even the smallest reason (this is good advice for game masters, too, except for the bit about NPCs).

Finally, don't just go and take control of circumstances either. Some reasonable assumptions are OK, but picking up a sword out of thin air the game master didn't say was there might mean it disappears just as quickly after you get over your temporary bout of insanity. Use common sense. Get to know your group and you'll get to know what they'll put up with or not.

In-Character vs. Out-of-Character

In-character (IC) text and out-of-character (OOC) text should be kept separate and distinct. Some game masters and players don't mind out-of-character text in the game, while others may ask that it be kept to non-in-character threads.

Time Commitment

Forum games are difficult to run without some sort of schedule and significant time commitment. If players agree to regular meetings, it is polite, of course, to show up. Always let the game master know ahead of time if you are unable to attend.

Some game masters may choose to assign 'homework' between sessions. This is part of the commitment to a good game.

Signatures

Game masters may reasonably request that players disable non-game-related signatures while making in-character posts. Even if not asked, this is a polite thing to do. The fewer outside disturbances in a game, the better.

Identifying a Game

Every game and its related posts should have a unique identifier in the name so that players can differentiate between separate games. Things will get confusing quickly if this standard is not upheld.

Game Masters

Those who are running a serious game may ask to be granted the forum 'Game Master' rank for the duration of the game. This rank enables the person running the game to exercise moderative powers in their threads. Game masters may use it for organizational purposes and to enhance the quality of the gaming experience they offer. A game master should be very, very careful not to abuse their power or it will be taken from them.

Back-up Your Games

Game masters and players are encouraged to keep back-up copies of the games they participate in.

-- Vilkacis

--------------------------------

Did I miss anything important?

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

No, it sounds like you got every thing.

Oh yeah, can i be the first game master? i've got a game i want to do, and i want to get started ASAP, if that's alright. :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Anubis wrote:No, it sounds like you got every thing.

Oh yeah, can i be the first game master? i've got a game i want to do, and i want to get started ASAP, if that's alright. :)
Have patience. Figarou will unlock it in a week or so when he comes back.

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

okay, i can wait.

It'll give me some time to work on the material
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Anubis wrote:No, it sounds like you got every thing.

Have patience. Figarou will unlock it in a week or so when he comes back.

-- Vilkacis

Ok...section is now open. I'm going to start my break tomorrow.

(I gotta get my things in order 1st.)
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

that's cool,

Have fun, relax, and open a beer. :D
THE GAME

My Armory
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Bad Idea alchohol tastes terrible bad way to start a vacation. :cry:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Hey, i'm only telling him to kick back and chillax :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I know but I hate beer can't trust the stuff, it almost ruined my uncle's life.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

sorry man :(

i didn't mean to make you feel bad
THE GAME

My Armory