Lunar Eclipse

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Nightwolf

Lunar Eclipse

Post by Nightwolf »

What happens to a werewolf during a lunar eclipse? It starts out as a normal full moon so the transformation should take place, but as Im sure everyone knows, eventually the moon is completely covered up. Would the were transform back? Or would he/she stay in the wolf form? If they do transform back to a human when the moon is completely covered up, could they only transform back when the moon is fully revealed?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Ohh...a newbie. I'll take this one. :wink:

First of all, Welcome Nightwolf. :D

Allright...of course, this can vary from interpretation to interpretation, but at this point in the progress of this films base rule-set, the role of the moon is significant, but not All Powerful or unbreakable.

It is "A" trigger, (mostly psycological, but possibly more), which will almost always cause a new WW's first shift. After that, once the Werewolf becomes more experienced, the presence of a Full Moon will strongly encourage them to shift, but it can be resisted.

Also, the precence of a full moon in the sky is not required for an experienced Werewolf to shift, or maintain it's Wolf/Half-Wolf form.

The moon being covered by a cloud or the earths shadow (IE: and "Eclipse"), could theoretically trigger the reverse shift if the Werewolf involved "expects" it to.

Honestly...we have not quite pinned down what causes a Werewolf to change back into human form yet. Some say it happens when they relax. Others, (like me), say it is triggered by a desire to hide and blend in. ("human camoflauge"). However, the idea that a WW ALWAYS shifts in the light of a Full Moon, and ALWAYS shifts back when it is covered (like in Van Helsing), is not very popular here, by general consensus.

Good question... We wecome your interest, your curiosity and your ideas Nightwolf. Welcome to "THE PACK" hwlwnk
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf »

Vuldari wrote:However, the idea that a WW ALWAYS shifts in the light of a Full Moon, and ALWAYS shifts back when it is covered (like in Van Helsing), is not very popular here, by general consensus.

hwlwnk
I did think it was odd when I first watched Van Helsing that he shifted back when the moon was covered by a cloud. What that made me think about was if the moon was out of site, then the were could shift back. So if the were didn't want to shift into the wolf form (that is if they had no control over the shifting), all he (or she) would have to do is go inside? Or possibly hide under something where they couldn't see the moon.

Thanks for the welcome by the way :)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Nightwolf wrote:I did think it was odd when I first watched Van Helsing that he shifted back when the moon was covered by a cloud. What that made me think about was if the moon was out of site, then the were could shift back. So if the were didn't want to shift into the wolf form (that is if they had no control over the shifting), all he (or she) would have to do is go inside? Or possibly hide under something where they couldn't see the moon.

Thanks for the welcome by the way :)
That never made sense to me either. In the films that used that plot device, it seemed that being indoors often made little difference. Even if the werewolf could not see the moon, when the camera cut to a clip of the clouds pulling away from the moon, it would cut back to show the WW shifting again.
If seeing it was the only requirement, then all a "reluctant werewolf" would have to do is wear a blindfold on full-moon nights., I would think.

...and you're welcome. :duckie
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:shift: rvt

^^The mechanics ofthat have not jet been pinned down, but we tend to believe that the influence of the moon would still be there.
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

in the movie Full Eclipse the werewolf was immune to silver under the lunar eclipse..it was "super-powerfull" and none of the normal ways of destroying it would work.
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
Mitternacht
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Mitternacht »

That kind of bothered me about the Werewolves in VanHelsing. If being "in " the light oif the moon is required for the change to take place , then all anyone who was being chased or threatened by a Werewolf need only go indoors and out of the light to be safe.I can see where it made for a great device for the Werewolf scenes, but when you really think abotu it, the Full Moon is there if you see it or not. So its still Full even when its behind clouds or in the earths shadow, the cycle of it remains in place.

What you ya'll think?

-Mitty
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

If being in the light was a reguirement then running through the woods would prove to be difficult at time seeing as how the moon does not shine through the canope of the trees all the time.... the ww would be shifting back and forth a lot if it depended on the light shining directly on the ww....

...ouch!!... :lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

I think we can all agree that this method of shapeshifting wouldn't work in any logical sense except that it may be used as part of a " curse " storyline. All that shapeshifting would be a curse, besides painful I'd say you would lose your mental falculties after a while.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yah, the light isstil lthere, just not really shining on you. so the moon is still actually in the sky.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

an experienced were could be able to stay in wolf form even during the eclipse but i think that if it loses control every now and then that the wolf would have less of a hold on the wolf, so it seems less wolf and more human. supposedly theres a legend about werewolves dying under the eclipse but idk i've just heard.
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.