Integrated Chat Tech Demo

Here is where you can find whats happening on the website, and current, and future updates.
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Busy

Integrated Chat Tech Demo

Post by takyoji »

There's a whooooole slew of many improvements to come for this community, and one of them is a webchat that'll be integrated with the forum interface and authentication.

If you'd like to see a very crude and uncustomized preview of the web-based client, you can see a demo of it that I threw on a random webpage that I was previously trying to prototype a new forum theme on at: https://thepack.network/chat.html

Simply click the "Launch Chat" button at the top (the final result won't be like this, it'll be automatic when you log into the forum), and it'll prompt for a username and password. Next you'd use your forum username (without any symbols), and forum password to log in (again, it'll auto-login, in the final product).

From there, if you logged in correctly, there should be a contact listing on the right (which will be empty), and in the bottom right of the screen, you can click the menu icon (≡) and go to "Join Chat". From that screen, you can select "general" for the "Room" field, and check "Bookmark" (and select "Auto-join", if you want it to autojoin the group chat, on login from any client), and click "Join". It may describe some feature of the selected chat, in which you can just click "Join" again, and you should be on the chat.

Additionally, there's functionality for adding other users as contacts through "Add Contact", and doing direct messaging, and even end-to-end encrypted conversations (where even the server cannot see the contents of the messages).

---

Alternately, not only is there a webchat, but you can also connect to the chat server from any XMPP client, such as Pidgin, Gajim, and others. There's also Conversations on Android (you can download free on F-Droid, or just the APK directly). There's probably some reasonable iOS clients, but I haven't personally experimented with any yet, to be able to recommend any.

If you want to experiment with using a desktop/mobile client (I'll probably provide deeper instructions on different clients later on), you can use the following information:
  • Use existing account (you don't need to 'register' an account)
  • Protocol: XMPP
  • Username: (forum username, no symbols)
  • Password: (forum password)
  • Domain: thepack.network
  • Resource: (you can set anything, it's an identifier for labeling what device/program you're logged in through, it can be left blank to be autogenerated)
On Conversations, you can just simply type "(forum username)@thepack.network" for the Jabber ID, fill in the password, and leave "Hostname" blank.

When you're logged in, you can join the group chat, with the room name of "general" and the domain of "conference.thepack.network", no password is required.

---

Just note that the server is currently experimental, as I'll probably be making changes to enable and setup more of the functionality (file uploads, voice/video calls, and more), so there may be minor short disruptions in uptime of it.

And as I said above, it'll be much more convenient and useful when complete, there won't be any sort of manual setup needed when it's properly integrated.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Integrated Chat Tech Demo

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Takyoji, you rock.

You need to be doing Brownrigg's website too. :)
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Since there was mentions of some difficulty with the software used for the webchat, I've found and integrated a different option, which can be accessed at: chat2.php (I've updated the link for the "The Pack WebChat" link on the forum board listing page)

There's no configuration needed at all, it'll auto-login and auto-join the 'general' chat automatically, as long as you're logged into the forum. If there's any further problems with the webchat, feel free to share it in this topic.

There'll obviously be color and theming changes done in the future.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.

Post by Meeper »

The WIP theme is very easy on the eyes so far. :D

Will (pprobably) lurk around the new chat thingumy for a while, see what I need to let through the firewall (if I don't respond to comments, my firewall probably blocked it. Looks like the log is perma-saved though so I'll just refresh the page every half hour or something).

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Haileyraegregory0420
Custom Title: whoami?

Post by Haileyraegregory0420 »

when i was six years old i was put into foster care but now i am 15 and i am female i was always told the wolf gene runs in males only but there have been some weird things going on with me for example whenever i get mad my eyes turn hazel but when im fine they are brown and i get a weird feeling and start sweating and have sweat forming i dont sweat that much so i tried talking to people but they look at me crazy my adoptive parents think im a liar and make up a lie they say to me we belive in science and facts and God i belive in that to but i can't help feeling there is something else inside of me and i don't know what age if i am a wolf so i can be prepared and if i do have it how do i activate it this scares me because im in public school and i dont want someone to see me accidentaly "wolf out" seriously i was in girl weight training in middle school and i got mad i threw a weight at a girl who was makeing fun of the way i lift it was like i was in a trance whenever i got my sence back i dident know what i did all the teacher said was go to the office i want to know if i am human or a wolf so i dont hurt thoes who are close to me please dont think im crazy if you are a wolf the stength of the wolf is the pack and if i am a wolf i need help wolfs care for their own right? so please HELP.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.

Post by Meeper »

Haileyraegregory0420 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 am when i was six years old i was put into foster care but now i am 15 and i am female i was always told the wolf gene runs in males only but there have been some weird things going on with me for example whenever i get mad my eyes turn hazel but when im fine they are brown and i get a weird feeling and start sweating and have sweat forming i dont sweat that much so i tried talking to people but they look at me crazy my adoptive parents think im a liar and make up a lie they say to me we belive in science and facts and God i belive in that to but i can't help feeling there is something else inside of me and i don't know what age if i am a wolf so i can be prepared and if i do have it how do i activate it this scares me because im in public school and i dont want someone to see me accidentaly "wolf out" seriously i was in girl weight training in middle school and i got mad i threw a weight at a girl who was makeing fun of the way i lift it was like i was in a trance whenever i got my sence back i dident know what i did all the teacher said was go to the office i want to know if i am human or a wolf so i dont hurt thoes who are close to me please dont think im crazy if you are a wolf the stength of the wolf is the pack and if i am a wolf i need help wolfs care for their own right? so please HELP.
Hello Haileyraegregory0420, welcome to the pack forum. Hold on while I have a word with the resident admin. Hey Tak? This reads like an intro post to me, mind flexing your mod muscles and moving it to the intro forum?

Anyway, Hailey, next time someone pokes fun at your weight lifting, I suggest you just roll with it, you know, do something silly like grunt and pretend the weight is too heavy, go ahead and ham it up a bit. You'll get a laugh, they'll get a laugh, and nobody has to get a dumbbell up side the head; who knows you might even make a new friend. After all, working out and lifting weights is very funny. I should know, I can bicep curl an 85 pound dumbbell, I've got 20 inch biceps, I have trouble finding shirts with sleeves to fit my big chimp arms, it's hilarious, and kind of annoying, but mostly hilarious. Much of life is like this, even school homework (just, you know, don't write an English essay about the hilarity of lifting weights, your teacher will eat you alive :P ).

As for being a wolf, I'm not going to comment one way or the other, people have done that already. But I will say this: I think you already know the answer, even if you don't realize it yet. The real question is can you be patient and honest with yourself? And that is a question for you to answer to yourself, not me, not this forum, not your foster parents, just you. It's not an easy thing to do, but necessary. Good luck.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Teena singh
Custom Title: Coyote

Post by Teena singh »

I just want to know...is anybody have seen a werewolf?
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

It's been well over 10 years since I last checked this place, back then we were putting ideas for a werewolf movie but I doubt it sees the light of day. I'm amazed this place still exists. :lol:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

Moonstalker wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:58 am It's been well over 10 years since I last checked this place, back then we were putting ideas for a werewolf movie but I doubt it sees the light of day. I'm amazed this place still exists. :lol:
Oh yes, I make very sure to preserve things as best as possible. The internet has slowly become very amnesic for how many websites and communities have all disappeared with people ditching independently-ran communities for social media platforms. Nonetheless I make sure this doesn't disappear since it's not that difficult to maintain it (other than not always keeping up against spam).
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

takyoji wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:07 pm
Moonstalker wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:58 am It's been well over 10 years since I last checked this place, back then we were putting ideas for a werewolf movie but I doubt it sees the light of day. I'm amazed this place still exists. :lol:
Oh yes, I make very sure to preserve things as best as possible. The internet has slowly become very amnesic for how many websites and communities have all disappeared with people ditching independently-ran communities for social media platforms. Nonetheless I make sure this doesn't disappear since it's not that difficult to maintain it (other than not always keeping up against spam).
Without the spammer I probably never had checked back. This place really has changed.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.
Mood: Happy

Post by Chance »

Lol, the spam . Yes they make it look like there's actually traffic going every which way. Would be nice if more people remembered this place and came back more often to visit.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

I still check back here every few months. I still visit a few active message boards as it's a format I really like. Post something and come back hours or days later to see how it went vs most social media where it's all lost in seconds. (Mostly use Twitter)
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.

Post by Chance »

Xiroteus wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:04 am I still check back here every few months. I still visit a few active message boards as it's a format I really like. Post something and come back hours or days later to see how it went vs most social media where it's all lost in seconds. (Mostly use Twitter)
It to bad more people don't really like this format. I feel like the instant form of social media killed forums like this. It's not just the subject matter , but the form it comes in.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Chance wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:28 pm
Xiroteus wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:04 am I still check back here every few months. I still visit a few active message boards as it's a format I really like. Post something and come back hours or days later to see how it went vs most social media where it's all lost in seconds. (Mostly use Twitter)
It to bad more people don't really like this format. I feel like the instant form of social media killed forums like this. It's not just the subject matter , but the form it comes in.
For example, I just saw this message and it can still be replied to.

I've noticed that Reddit is more engaging (going to the right places) than Twitter.
Chance
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chance »

The only time I ever even glance at reddit is when it happens to be in my search results. Otherwise I don't use the site. Guess you can't ask for much when you don't have any social media and you limit your activ participation to one forum :P