tasmanian tigers

The place for anything at all...
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

tasmanian tigers

Post by fredriksam »

Hey, is there anyone here interrested in these animals? I for one are. Its said the last one died in 1936 but people has seen them later. Do we have any users from Australia that knows more about these faboulus animals?

I have been in Australia one time but sadly we didnt saw any tigers. They are rumored to be most in the gippsland region. I have seen a website where people can tell about what they have seen. Sadly that site seems to have died. Hopes they open it soon again.
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Border Walker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Cyborg WolvenFox

Post by Border Walker »

I've heard about these creatures before, how they were hunted originally, I think for their pelts, or fear. However, there have been sightings. I for one am interested in the possibility of these creatures still living. After scientists discovered a living colenicanth(sp?) fish after beliving it has been extinct for thousands of years, I belive no animal that doesn't excede the size of the Dinos can truly become extinct.

So much of the world is unrexplored, and so much of animal species have yet to be discovered, that perhaps when we humans think a species is extinct, it actually isn't, but that there is so few of the species, we cannot find them on a normal basis. perhaps this is what happened to the Tasmanian Tigers, we think there extinct, but a small number still survive.
Current Theme Song: Have A Nice Day ~ Bon Jovi
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Wow, did you watch Monster Hunters too :lol: seems so odd that you would mention a couple of days after I watch that show that talked about them.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I presume you mean the Thylacine. They are as you know also called Tasmanian wolves or Tasmanian tigers but both terms are equally incorrect, since it is a marsupial and one of the last megafauna to go extinct I think in the 30's in a zoo but I'm unsure of the date. She was a lone female, you can find her photo online I'll bet.

Here: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/images/nature ... lacine.jpg
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/We ... 3777B?open
(Heart wrenching images and information...damned hunters!!)

They were actually outcompeted by the dingo and also hunted to extinction later on in Tasmania. They were widespread on the mainland but with the arrival of dingoes a few thousand years ago, their niche was just taken over.

The coelocanth (Im also unsure of the spelling, but I know it's pronounced 'Seelocanth') is but one of many unchanged specimens and also one I'm very interested in. Australia in particular has a very facinating natural history, being so isolated for so long. Unfortunately extinction is needed for evolution to occur, there must be death for life. So millions of creatures go extinct every day even without human interference. If their environment hasn't changed, thats where you'll find ancient species like the fish and a hell of a lot of plants. I'd love to discover dinosaurs somewhere but it just isn't happening...or an Andrewsarchus.

Andrewsarchus: (Related to hoofed animals, not wolves or cats or hyenas).

http://www.museon.nl/NR/rdonlyres/4E472 ... chus01.JPG
http://www.abc.net.au/beasts/evidence/prog2/page5.htm

(You can tell I love ancient living things...of any living kingdom! I swear...ancient plants are so cool!)

I believe it's always possible there are some Thylacines, but the population would have to be large enough to florish, and since they are hunters they need big territories. Thus they'd have to cover quite a large area to be thriving unless they are hanging on by a thread like, unfortunately, much of our fauna and flora. Australia is quite dangerous for anyone except a seriously well trained person, or an Indigenous person, to travel in. If you look around the net you will see several sighting stories.

It's a real pity because they were gorgeous, like so many other animals to go exctinct unecessarily.

We also had another predator in the ice age called a Thylacoleo (http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacoleo/index.htm), named for its feline qualities, although we're much more closely related to Simba than Thylacoleo is... :lol: it's just convergent evolution.

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia ... 10227A.gif

The thylacine was our wolf hwlwnk . And our dingo is I guess our wolf, although they were introduced.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Ive always had an interest in them too. he black and white minute videos you see online featuring the last thylacine is very sad. :( But there are reported sightings every year. :)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

wow..ive never seen that before...... :o
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

:? What's the Tesmanian Devil then? :?
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

Ah yes, beggining to enter the realm of Cryptozoology. I did a research project on this field back in highschool. I would suggest http://www.cryptozoology.com/cryptids.php if you are intrested in any of these kinds of animals
"War is over if you want it to be. Imagine all the people living life in peace." - John & Yoko
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

I thought it was an actual animal, like a small wolverine?

The thick Welshman Strikes Again!!! :lol:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
lupine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lupine »

WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

I saw a documentary about a couple of people who were planning to clone them from one they have had in a jar for a hundred years. that would be nice.

also, Howling 3 :P
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

WereDog wrote:I saw a documentary about a couple of people who were planning to clone them from one they have had in a jar for a hundred years. that would be nice.

also, Howling 3 :P
Yeah, they're not doing it anymore. They dont quite have the technology yet and the DNA kind of got old and destroyed.

It would have been interesting to see what species they would use for surrogate mother. :|
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

The Howling 3 is awesome, I've got it! And The Howling 1.

The problem with resurrecting these animals is where would you put them? You can't reintroduce them unless you culled every single dingo or put aside a reserve for them. But they'd never be able to thrive and live naturally. They'd kill many more endangered marsupials and rodents and birds, because two predators is gonna put a strain on the ecosystem. Keeping them in cages is beyond cruel.

What do I think is worse than this?

Resurrecting mammoths. The stupidest idea yet.

I admit seeing these guys alive would be awesome, but the consequences are too high. Unless they found some island they could ... ya know ... Jurassic Park, Dinotopia...yeah...
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Kirk Hammett wrote:I presume you mean the Thylacine. They are as you know also called Tasmanian wolves or Tasmanian tigers but both terms are equally incorrect, since it is a marsupial and one of the last megafauna to go extinct I think in the 30's in a zoo but I'm unsure of the date. She was a lone female, you can find her photo online I'll bet.
I've got a page about them at http://www.newanimal.org/thylacine.htm
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!