Two sad things

The place for anything at all...
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Two sad things

Post by fredriksam »

There is two things i,m very sad about. I think i begin with the most upsetting first

My dog is sick and maybe dying... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Recently i noticed Keno not being as lively as before. He has mostly been eating good but has not the spirit to walking long walks. Then, in the beginning of this week he has started having seizures.

This is his typical seizure. He throws up bile , then within twenty seconds, he's on the ground flopping around for about 30 seconds and slobbering and losing bowl control. He doesn't seem conscious. He then pulls out of it, and is disoriented a bit and spends the next fifteen mins. refamiliarizing the surroundings. Then, he tries to play but doesnt seems to have the strentch.

I have talked to a vet and the prognoses didnt looked good at all. His blood work is very bad. The vet said it was best he would be put down. But i have a very hard time doing that. I love him so much and i,m feeling i,m not ready to let go of him yet. In the other hand, i dont want him to suffer just because i want to have him longer.

This is the hardest part i ever had been through. I dont know what i should do about this. Letting him go or try just a little longer. I feel its just unfair for him if i keep him and he is suffering. What do you guys think is the best to do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The second bad thing is that the movie we are working with doesnt seems to be done. The studio that buyed it hates our new screenplay. They say the movie MUST have some musical numbers AND fart jokes.

We decided NOT to have such things in the movie. Plus that some clips we have done has surfaced on Youtube. The person responsible for this are kicked out from the project and will be sued for it. But the damage has been done and the studio is afraid that the movie will flop without fart jokes/musical numbers.
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Vicious_Sweetheart
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Crazy Canuck

Post by Vicious_Sweetheart »

Did the vet say there is any way to medicate him so that he does not have the seizures? Or did they find out why Keno is having them in the first place? I am so sorry, Fredriksam, Its losing a member of your family if you let him go. But if he is suffering.... We had to let go of my parents dog last year, so I sympathize. Whatever you decide, my heart goes out to you and your family.
So what if you can see / the darker side of me
no one will ever change this animal I have become
Three Days Grace - Animal
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

In June my sister had to put her dog down becuase of lymphnode caner. When we found out about the cancer, she put Jasmine on Kemo therapy. She went in every friday for 6 months to keep this dog alive. My sister gave Jasmine medicines to keep her healthy, but it didn't stay in for a long time. Whenever Jamsine ate, she would throw up. Then one day, (6th months later) Jamsine wouldn't eat and she stoped eating for two days. She wouldn't play and wasn't very active at all. That's when we knew it was time.......

In the end, the final dicision is up to you. It will be a hard choice but you have to keep in mind that you're doing what's best for the animal. If you can save him, do it. If you can't......cherrish the time you have left with him and make the last part of his life the best.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

as far as Keno goes...i hope everything turns out o.k fredricksam.....you love him and im sure what ever choice is made that it was for the best....

on the movie...dont give up...im sure theyre are many out there that will love the film just because they didnt doesnt mean it will never happen....

good luck on the film and my/our hearts are with you and Keno... :mourn:
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Ahh man good luck with both.

Keno is of course your family and pack, and unfortunately if he is suffering, maybe he should be put to sleep. If I were in that position, I'd ask my family to put me to sleep (Which isn't legal), but dogs can't express this...so in the end, you have to try and judge what is best, and that sucks.

Get a few different vet opinions. This can sometimes yield different results. But whatever the choice, I'm sure you will be there for him and with him until the end. Give him a big smoochie hug from me!

As for the movie, this is just a bump in the road, and there's many of those in anything in life. It sucks, but you're gonna have to deal with it, and the idiot who released the clips. I guess you gotta ask yourself if it matters that the clips are out, and if it does, then maybe you can get them deleted from Youtube fast.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Oh man...I dont think I could put an animal down if I had to. Thats a really tough decision. Im very sorry about Keno. :(

And if you dont want certain things in your movie, try finding someone else who will take it the way it is. I believe one should never settle.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

What exactly is wrong with Keno? What exactly, is wrong with his blood?
I mean, is it some kind of disease or what? Eh...sorry for asking a lot of questions. It would help if you could tell us though.
Depending on whats wrong with him; medication could help.
Like I said, it all depends on what exactly is wrong with him.

Since he is suffering a great deal(you implied in your post.), then euthanasia maybe the best choice. I know you don't want to leave him and you don't want him to leave you. But, you don't want him to suffer.
Its hard to let go of a pet, I know. I mean, your pet is your best friend, family, baby, and as owners. We constantly want them to be with us and we want whats best for them. I am very sorry for what your going through and I know you don't want to make the horrible decision of putting him down.

Ask your vet and see if there is any posible treatment for Keno. While your at it, go to another vet and get a second opinion.
If treatment is not possible and he's not getting better(only worse), then euthanasia maybe be the last thing to do.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh, when your around Keno; you need to try and be as happy and as positive as you can be. He will since your saddness and it will put him in a state of discomfort. Animals can just sense things like that about us, so you don't need to be sad around him. Well, try not to be, even though I know it will be hard to.

Since Keno is a Sibarian Husky, then you should go online and look up disease that are most common in the breed...that could help you to understand what he may have.

Please give Keno a hug for me and I hope treatement is possible.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

The vet has replied to some questions i had. Where i live we dont have so many vets aviable.

Okay... He said Keno has the seizures because something is wrong with his kidneys so he gets "poisoned" by his own food. He also said i can give him some medication BUT this only delays the invintible. I have talked to my family and sadly we own say the very same thing. Its better to have him euthanasted. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is because both i and them care about him and doesnt want him to suffer. Keno is actually 12 years old so i can safely say he has lived a healthy live with me and my parents. My parents have had him when i have been away.

I have made an opponient with the vet on monday. Until then i will give Keno the best toys he likes and letting him sleep in my bed. I also try being happy when i,m with him so he feels secure. Last night i howled with him a while. He seemed to enjoy that.

Sorry no clips because my camera is "weird" right now. Will work it out pretty soon.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

I have a question: Did anyone ever feed your dog chocolate, or some similar material?
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

No, never. I always make sure he gets the right food. Only bad things he has eaten was poop one time. I told him NO!! and he never did that again. He has also "eaten" parts of a tree we have, but that was about 2,5 years ago and he didnt reacted.
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

well if a dog was to eat chocolate FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD that it would get sick and die.... and i was like WHHAAAATT?!
"lolis"
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

It depends on how much chocolate, but yes, it's EXTREMELY bad for them.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

My dog ate 36 chocolate balls, a pound cake, 3 sticks of butter, and chicken bones. Not at once mind you. And she's fine...after throwing up like a mad wolf.
*sigh*
she's so sneaky.

Edit: Oh and we didn't give her all that stuff. She is very crafty and knows how to open a trash compactor, rip a box to shreads and she even figured out how to get up onto the counter.
Last edited by BlackWolfDS on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okamiotoko
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: yo

Post by Okamiotoko »

from wikipedia:
A typical 20 kg dog will normally experience intestinal distress after eating less than 240 g of dark chocolate, but won't necessarily experience bradycardia or tachyarrhythmia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram of milk chocolate. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 g of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity. For example, a typical 25 gram baker's chocolate bar would be enough to bring out symptoms in a 20 kg dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

So it depends on the size of your dog, and the kind of chocolate he/she eats. I know my dog (a Beagle) has eating about 20 oreo cookies and been ok. But, she felt really sick afterwards. :P
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them. "
Mother Teresa
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

In my opinion, its very stupid for an owner to feed their pet chocolate. I mean, why would they give it to them in the first place, when they know they shouldn't

Anyways, Besides chocolate being high in fat, it contains caffeine and theobromine. These are two different types of stimulants that affect the central nervous system and the heart muscle. These also increasee the frequensy of urination.

No, if your 50 pound dog eats a chocolate bar, it probably won't cause him serious problems, but if he eats a pan of brownies. He may start to vomit or have diarrhea.

Once the toxic levels are reached, the simulants kick in, and then you have a serious problem. Symptoms of the stimulants include: restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination and/or excessive panting. If you pet isn't treated as soon as possible, the he could begin to have seizures and possibly die.

Oh, and it all depends on what kind of chocolate it is too.

So, if chocolate is so bad for them, then why give it to them.
Well, some people accidently leave chocolate out somewhere and they don't think the pet can reach it. Well, they can, unless the chocolate is up too high.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

that really is a bummer, fredriksam. hope you can pull through it, man.

one time, my dog was shot in the head (i dunno with what type o' gun)

i and was so sad when my dad told me he was gonna be put to sleep. :cry:

luckily, we were able to save him.

but another time, my gerbil had a strole (a gerbil having a stroke isn't all that pleasant to watch) and he died. that was pretty horrible. :mourn:

anyways, good luck with your movie.

condolences,
nachoboy
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

you think its bad feeding a dog choclate? my family has to constanly watch are cat mooch, because apparently if a cat eats just a little bit of choclate then there died soon
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Well, I meant both cats and dogs. I just used dogs as an example.