interesting article about lucasfilm

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

interesting article about lucasfilm

Post by Figarou »

http://www.variety.com/VR1117951284.html

Hmmmmm.....

Seems like Lucas is looking into the future.

He thinks people are going to stop going to the movies.
Lucas said he believes Americans are abandoning the moviegoing habit for good.

"I don't think anything's going to be a habit anymore. I think people are going to be drawn to a certain medium in their leisure time and they're going to do it because there is a desire to do it at that particular moment in time. Everything is going to be a matter of choice. I think that's going to be a huge revolution in the industry."

I happen to have a home theater. The sound is incredible. I rather wait for the DVD and experience the movie for the 1st time at home. I also don't like crowds. Or that trip back home. And the expensive popcorn and soda. It costs more than the price of the movie ticket.

I think theaters will still be around. Thats where studios get most of thier money. If all titles went straight to DVD, money could be lost because DVDs can be copied.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

The movie industry would get a huge boost to profits if the actual theaters wouldn't jack up the price of popcorn and drinks (or at least not be so obnoxious about bringing in your own foodstuffs). That's the primary reason I won't go to theaters anymore. Everything there is a total rip-off, and they're not even trying to be subtle about ripping you off. Going to the movies is not an enjoyable experience anymore. You pay fifteen dollars to go see a freaking matinee or twenty to see one in the evening (and since when has 2:30 PM ever counted as "evening"?!). All for the opportunity to get charged another ten dollars for a small popcorn and a small soda! And the motion picture industry can't figure out why they're experienceing so much loss of revenue to DVD retail. Morons. (Though, I totally intend to see Freeborn in the theaters).
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Yup...I'm going to see Freeborn, CL, and HOD in the theaters. I don't want to miss out in the discussions when everyone else sees it.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

OMG you pay 15 to 20 dollars to go to the matinee where you live? Over here it cost $10 at the most.

But yeah my dad and I knew about this for the last few years, movies arent just making the money like it use to. Its not only the theaters fault for jacking up the price but also hollywood for keep on making s*** movies most of the time, the only time if everyone is going to the movies if its something they know its gonna be good or has a very good concept like underworld and underworld evoluton.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Shadow Wulf wrote:OMG you pay 15 to 20 dollars to go to the matinee where you live?
That's the San Francisco Bay Area for you. I'm jumping for joy that gas is down to $2.80 per gallon.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

gas is well below a buck a litre, and movies are 7-10 bucks
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Figarou wrote:Yup...I'm going to see Freeborn, CL, and HOD in the theaters. I don't want to miss out in the discussions when everyone else sees it.
Even if you waited for DVD release you'd still get it before we do in Wales, We have little ducks on a treadmill powering the projector at our local Flicks :D
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

People are becoming too busy for their own good. Insted of gathering some friends and/or family to go the movies and see the new releases, they're going to blockbuster or even worse doing the net flix thing to see the movies that was released over three months ago.

But there is nothing better in my opinion than getting some friends and family and go see a bran new movie, while eating popcorn and soda that is larger than your head! and do the parking lot talk about it. It's traditional and that's why i like going to the movies. :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

After Episode III, I know that I won't be going to any movie done by George Lucas, at least. (And now he will release Indiana Jones 4 just to spite me :P)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

The most I've ever spent on a movie ticket was $8.50

...untill High-Quality 5+ foot Tall Home theater screens become affordable, and I have enough money to own a home with a dedicated THEATER room (with enough room inside to invite all my friends), there will never be a replacement for viewing a film on the Silver Screen.

The experience is just not the same without the chorus of cheers and laughs and gasps comming from all sides when you are watching a great movie. The reaction of the audience can even make some BAD movies more entertaining sometimes.
(Unless someone is being a complete Jerk about it...which is just bad luck when it happens)

I admit that I don't go out to the theater as much as I used to...but when something worthwhile comes out, I make it a point to make it there.
(Such as the recent films "Pirates of the Carribian 2: Dead Mans Chest" or "Jet Li's - Fearless")
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I agree that there is no real substitute for the theater. I just hate being blatantly exploited for money, with the assumption that I'm some kind of moron who will keep paying whatever they feel like charging -- just because. It detracts from the whole experience for me. Unless the movie is really really good, I wind up sitting through the whole thing stewing about how I got screwed out of $25-$30 (assuming I bother to incur the additional cost of buying snacks), and wind up not enjoying the flick. And if the movie is disappointing, I feel like an idiot for wasting the cash in the first place. They've priced me out of the market.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

If I buy any snacks at all, it is a small drink and some candy.

$1.75(Drink) + $2.00(Candy) + $8.50 for the Ticket = $12.25

Considering I go to a movie only 4-5 times a year, and only to films that I've heard good things about, or am allready exited about for my own reasons, I'm rarely very dissapointed, and the price doesn't hurt that much.

If I went out and watched every movie that I was even mildly curious about every weekend...the price would probobly bother me a little bit more.

Around here, we still have theaters that show films that are just recently discontinued in the BIG theaters, (on full size screens) for $2 a ticket...if you don't mind seeing the film a year after it's release, and seats that have not been repaired since 1984. ...it's still good...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: Around here, we still have theaters that show films that are just recently discontinued in the BIG theaters, (on full size screens) for $2 a ticket...if you don't mind seeing the film a year after it's release, and seats that have not been repaired since 1984. ...it's still good...

I've been to one of those. (A friend dragged me to one.) Seats are in bad shape, one of the speakers is not working, and the screen looks as if someone tossed thier soda at it.

bleh...never again, I will go.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote: Around here, we still have theaters that show films that are just recently discontinued in the BIG theaters, (on full size screens) for $2 a ticket...if you don't mind seeing the film a year after it's release, and seats that have not been repaired since 1984. ...it's still good...
I've been to one of those. (A friend dragged me to one.) Seats are in bad shape, one of the speakers is not working, and the screen looks as if someone tossed thier soda at it.

bleh...never again, I will go.
The Speakers and Screens were in fine working order at the theater here...it's just the seats that need help. They are actually better there about keeping the film In Focus there than at some of the $8 theaters I go to.

...they must have spent all the "Chair Repair" money on maintaining the Projectors. Image

I just find one of the good seats...avoid the sticky spots, and enjoy a good show for cheap.

=^.^'= ~
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

*drool* Two dollar movies... That would be as cool as two dollar gas.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I dont really like paying 10 bucks for a ticket and 10 for snacks everytime i want to see a movie. I would be ok with them coming straight to dvd. But my mate does like going to the movies. I dont know why. I guess some people do.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend