nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

werewolf versus vampire

Post by nachoboy »

hey guys. how's it going?

i just wanted some input.

for my englis class at school, i was assigned to write an argumentative essay about a topic of my choice. can you guess what my choice was? yeah. it was why it would be better to be a werewolf than to be a vampire.
8)

what do you guys think?
i figure i may as well get some opinions from real werewolf fans. sounded like a good idea to me. you know?
thanks,
nachoboy
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Well for one thing as a werewolf you don't have to give up life for the abilities, as a vampire you must die and feed off the blood of the living to remain eternaly youthful. Who wants to die to live forever?
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

vampires suck...end of discussion......

LONG LIVE THE WEREWOLF........HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Vampires will die if they step foot in sunlight. Well, more like burn. :saiyenwolf:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

vamps weaken if they dont absolutlyhave blood.........

weres....dont need it but enjoys very much...
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

I KNOW!

still, you'd be surprised how many people in my english class are like, "man a vampire would kill a werewolf in a fight nay day. werewolves are stoopid. duy. dooooh."

that just makes me mad. you know what i mean? :x
like they would even know, right?

and thanks for all the input. i was already planning on putting most of that stuff in my essay. i've spent a lot of time planning this essay out. it has to be somewhere around the longest essay i've ever written, and it needs lots of facts and information. actually, i was doing research for this paper on the internet when i found this place. and boy, am i glad i found this place :o
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

you conned us into doing your homework for you.........you sly wolf...you :D :wink: :lol:
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

no! not really! i was just hoping to get a few more points of view, which happened to be almost exactly the same as mine already.

anyways, if i did con you into doing my homework for me, i am sorry. i was just wondering what you guys would have to say.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

nachoboy wrote:no! not really! i was just hoping to get a few more points of view, which happened to be almost exactly the same as mine already.

anyways, if i did con you into doing my homework for me, i am sorry. i was just wondering what you guys would have to say.

AGHHH....you said no......then you said NOT REALLY...........ohhhh im on to you.......next youll be stealing my lucky charms......WELL IM NOT GOING TO LET YA.......there my lucky charms......keep your paws off....

I GOT MY EYE ON YOU....*squints*
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Werewolves rock, they are uber cool, the werewolf ladies are uber hot!

but seriously,

Werewolves are better is because they are alive, not like vampires.

werewolves don't have to worry eating any could kill the not like vampires that die after eating garlic.

Werewolves can be out in the sun, not like vampires.

Werewolves regenerate, and heal quickly and VERY hard to kill, but you can kill a vampire with a good shot in the heart, and/or leave their butt in the sun.

Werewolves are cool looking and is a symbol of our urge to be free, and the hidden primal disires of the human race, IE. Sex, food, domination, and the want to kick the a** of your rival and/or enimy. Vimpire are a symbol of corruption and every thing else wrong in this world.
THE GAME

My Armory
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

(Quite happy to aid in anyones homework :lol: did you want to write up my Uni essays for me?)

1) I'd prefer to be alive
2) Shapeshifting gives you new and different senses; even if these aren't more powerful than a vampire, you are able to perceive the world in new ways.
3) I like being outdoors during the day -and- night.
4) A vampire must crave blood. In my view, a werewolf shouldn't crave flesh, but that's up to the storymakers and up to your opinion. I don't eat meat and the thought of sucking blood makes me quite ill.
5) A werewolf, in my stories anyway, can remain pretty human. (This doesn't apply to all stories). They can remain gentle and maybe even learn to control their abilities. Becoming a wolf should be a wonderful thing.
6) Vampires to me are sadistic.
7) I don't believe werewolves chase sticks, they are -not- dogs. That's the worst label people put on werewolves.
8 ) Werewolves have a pack hierarchy and pack spirit. Of course since vampires and werewolves -are- part human, there's always sadistic manipulative people who want power and leadership and are bullies.
9) Not all werewolves are trapped by a full moon curse; this is Hollywood.

Look I think it depends on what you'd consider a werewolf. If it's what we at Freeborn (Well sort of what the majority voted for, check Silver's Corner) consider a werewolf, the pros are numerous over a vampire! There are cons of course, such as being uncontrolled and being chained up on a full moon, and the fact that if you're evil before becoming a werewolf, well...becoming a werewolf ensures you kill more people due to strength. But can a vampire control themselves and their blood craving? Probably not. And in my opinion, a werewolf can eat human food; they are still part human.

Watch a few werewolf and vampire films and gain a decent contrast from there, should be good fun!

:howl:  :oo
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Looking at the traditional versions only we have this.

Vampire:
a ghost or zombie like corpse that rises from the grave at night to feed on the blood of its own relatives and fellow villagers. It does so by sucking the blood slowly from either the finger tips or lips of its victim, slowly causing them to die over many days.
The vampire can be warded off by many herbs, destroying its early remains, or even prevented from appearing by doing something as simple as burying the body upside down or sorrounding the cemetary with iron spikes.
Its a mindless killer.
Other vampires are not "vampires" but vampire like creatures.

Werewolf:
a human being through the use of magic can become a supernaturally strong and fast wolf at anytime they want to. In this form they possess the intellgence of a human and powers even greater than that of a wolf.
Many versions exist on this theme with many different forms and abilities.

On average I would say the average werewolf could probably not only win a fight with the average vampire but also prey upon the vampire like it would any other way ward traveler.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

WW own stinky vampires

CASE CLOSED!
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

thank you all for all of your support.

actually, now i've finished the essay. maybe i'll have to post parts of it here sometime.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

In terms of the only the folklore versions of the two creatures, werewolves are much more pleasant creatures to be than vampires because:

1) Vampires always died first, so people know that so-and-so is dead and that person could never come back and masquerade as human (and, even if they died secretly, it would be pretty hard to masquerade as human since vampires are frozen in place or otherwise inactive in daylight even if they aren't positively damaged by it). In contrast, werewolves could keep their human friends, their career and their family as long as they weren't caught (and sometimes even if they were caught).

2) The tendency to portray werewolves as mindless killers and vampires as smart and sophisticated is an invention of modern fiction. In folklore, it was often the reverse. Many legends said that werewolves could be identified by their unusually human behavior when in wolf form, and they are often attributed with carrying out intelligent plans, not just jumping on everything that moved. In contrast, vampires seemed inclined to go after first, their family members and, then, anyone who came within their reach.

3) Folklore vampires are generally very limited in their geographic scope because they must return to their graves before each dawn (the idea that carrying around grave dirt allows them to go everywhere is an invention of modern fiction). In contrast, a werewolf could move to the next town or another country if he or she wanted to, but a vampire is stuck in one area.

4) A vampire is easy to kill in comparison to a werewolf. If the vampire can be traced to its grave, it can be dug up during the day in a comatose state, which makes it easy to dispatch (an event described in many legends). A werewolf has no vulnerability like this. It is never in a vulnerable, comatose state. If you can figure out who the werewolf is, you could go after it as a human, but it still has, at the very least, all the normal defenses that a human has.
When a vampire is vulnerable, it is extraordinarily vulnerable, but when a werewolf is vulnerable, it is only as vulnerable as an ordinary person.

5) It is easier to be a good guy (or at least a not too bad of a bad guy) as a folkloric werewolf than as a folkloric vampire. Part of the folklore definition of a vampire includes harm to humans (generally leading to actual death, but at the least leading to illness or weakness). If a creature that returned from the dead did not drain humans, it wasn't called a vampire (for example, the revenant is like a vampire, except that it is sustained by the drive to complete a quest instead of being sustained by attacks on humans). In contrast, the only required element in the folklore definition of a werewolf is the transformation from human to a wolf or wolf-like creature. There is nothing inherently evil in transformation, and quite a number of folklore werewolves are described as not harming humans (livestock are another matter).

If you want to go the other route and look at the stereotypes of fiction instead of the traditional definitions found in folklore, there is such a great variety that it would be easy to argue either position. However, I would say that werewolves are still a more attractive option because:

1) Most fictional depictions have most (or all) vampires becoming evil, either immediately upon becoming vampires, or as a slower slide into evil as the vampire succumbs to forces that are much stronger than an individual's mind. In contrast, werewolves are generally depicted as only being evil when in a transformed state, and this transformed state only comes along once a month or so, and usually at a predictable time. So, you could continue being good most of the time, and you could lock yourself up during those times when your alignment changed from good to evil.

2) Vampires, even the rare good ones, are generally depicted as suffering from bloodlust most of the time. In contrast, bad werewolf side effects such as wanting to eat people are generally confined to the transformed state, with only good werewolf side effects (such as increased strength, health and keen senses) present the rest of the time.

3) Generally, vampires need blood (or some substitute such as a person's life energy) in order to live. If they don't get it, they either die or suffer greatly. In contrast, if werewolves happen to not kill anyone, nothing happens to them. They can avoid human flesh for years and still be okay. They don't have unsatisfied cravings that continue to torment them, and they don't die from not eating people.

4) Once again, it is cool to be out and about during daylight, making it easier to maintain an otherwise normal life, and making a werewolf less vulnerable than a vampire.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by nachoboy »

so, we peer edited everyone's essays in class.

i wonder what essay everyone in the class wanted to read? :?

yup. mine was the favorite of everybody in the class. lots of progress has been made and hopefully i'll get a good grade. looks like we have to wait til next week
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

vampires are basically blood thirsty zombies. Heck if you pile rocks over their grave they can't do anything.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I'm still hanging on to what i found on a certain encyclopaedia entry about vamps: That they were once werewolves before death. This may be coincidence.

I feel that vampires may have a chance of not sucking, because they can change to werebat thingies that vary in appearance. There are also chances of a more "logical" vamp who becomes pretty weak when showered by UV rays, but not die. How is instantly turning to ash by weak sun rays possible anyway?

If werewolves have the privilege of getting their "facts" skewed, then so can vamps.

And if there were vamps that suck in any way, it's the ones that get processed in canned HollyCrap movies and second-rate comics. So i would give vamps a chance.

After all... The best vampire of them all is none other than Dio Brando.

WRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Bah. Vampire things are overhyped to the point that it's no longer interesting. (Just like Halo 2! LoL!) I hate everything that is considered "mainstream".

Werewolf culture has a long way to go before becoming mainstream as well.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Traditional werewolves are better because its much easier to make a wooden stake then a silver bullet. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

Well not to say anything in defense of Vampires, but supposedly 1 source stated that vampires could only die you stabbed them in the heart, then decapitated their head, burn the body, and burry ashes away from light. Otherwise the vampire turns to dust and.....reconfigures elsewhere.

Now the above is an example of a different source and oppinion. The hard thing about comparing a werewolf with a vampire is that there and hundreds of variations. Some believe that vampires can die with just light others say that its a 5 step process that needs to be done flawlessly or it fails. Some believe werewolves can be vaquished by calling them by baptismal name and others say that they only die from silver.

So you see it depends on which myths and which sources you go on. If we picked the best werewolf myths and the best vampire myths we would have 2 next to impossible to kill beings....
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

kitetsu wrote:I'm still hanging on to what i found on a certain encyclopaedia entry about vamps: That they were once werewolves before death. This may be coincidence.

I feel that vampires may have a chance of not sucking, because they can change to werebat thingies that vary in appearance. There are also chances of a more "logical" vamp who becomes pretty weak when showered by UV rays, but not die. How is instantly turning to ash by weak sun rays possible anyway?

If werewolves have the privilege of getting their "facts" skewed, then so can vamps.

And if there were vamps that suck in any way, it's the ones that get processed in canned HollyCrap movies and second-rate comics. So i would give vamps a chance.

WRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I believe this is the Vrykolakas. a monster that because the person was a sorcerer in life (or a werewolf as both meant using magic) then in death they were doomed to become this version of the blood sucking undead. Same weaknesses as the Vampire though so nothing special. In fact its a punishment by God for becomming a werewolf, so that alone tells you its worse to be a vampire than a werewolf.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Rhuen wrote:
kitetsu wrote:I'm still hanging on to what i found on a certain encyclopaedia entry about vamps: That they were once werewolves before death. This may be coincidence.

WRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I believe this is the Vrykolakas. a monster that because the person was a sorcerer in life (or a werewolf as both meant using magic) then in death they were doomed to become this version of the blood sucking undead. Same weaknesses as the Vampire though so nothing special. In fact its a punishment by God for becomming a werewolf, so that alone tells you its worse to be a vampire than a werewolf.
The idea that a werewolf could come back as a vampire exists in folklore, but it isn't so common that werewolves were just naturally expected to return as vampires after they died. Furthermore, it is part of a larger complex of beliefs that "unsavory persons" in general were likely to spontaneously convert into vampires after death, such as sorcerers, suicides, sometimes people born out of wedlock, sometimes people of races that were despised in the locality where the folklore was being collected (for some Romanians, all Turks were quite likely to become vampires after death) and so on.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
bar1scorpio
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Sierra Mist Abuser

Post by bar1scorpio »

Werewolves are more physically hardy, given a regenerative factor. Let's add to this, Vampires have a crucial weakness - being vulnerable to religious icons.

Think about it.. a werewolf with hands for it's forepaws can hold a Vampire at bay with a crucifix, which the Werewolf has no natural fear of, nor vulnerability to.

It alsmo might helpo your paper to specify that you're in discussion of western Vampires. Oriental Vampires play by different rules... (one of which is a vulnerability to rice.)

Besides which... in the opinion of Werewolves....

Vampires are EMO

"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlein

"The World Will Be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

Your to much Bar :lol:
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html