Darkstalkers live action movie poll

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.

Which combo should have their own movie?

Jon & Felicia
100%
Morrigan & Demitri
No votes
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
No votes
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
No votes
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
No votes
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
No votes

Total votes: 8

Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Darkstalkers live action movie poll

Post by Rhuen »

Someone, I forget who, owns the rights to make a movie based on this game.

But the movie has a problem, the same problem that has plagued every version ever made for this franchise. The comics, the animations. They suffer from having too many characters, and most of whom have un-related plots and stories. and most have nothing at all to do with the other characters.

Trying to stick them all together creates a mess.

I say with this poll the idea of using only a few of the characters per any one movie. Like have a title and in little print say "a Darkstalkers movie".

The poll is over which movie idea would you like to see as its own movie.

Jon & Felicia: this is the two werebeast characters on their journey together with their conflicting views on humanity and how they should relate to them, all the while they fall for each other.

Morrigan & Demitri: the two great powers of the Makai (demon world) fighting for dominatiion. This one can also include Lilith "Morrigan's extra power in a physical form", Jedah "another rival", and Q-Bee "Jedah's lacky". This idea has the most potential to have the most charaters.

Donavan Bane & Hsien-Ko: the rival monster hunters "who are also monsters themselves" and their sidekicks on their journey to rid the world of evil: might have a Blade rip off feel though as Donavan is a Dhampir and Hsien-Ko a Kuang-Shi "chinese vampire"

One of the extra guys: If one of these other guys in their own movie please say which, Victor, Sasquatch, Rikuo, Anakaris, Lord Raptor,
or B.B. Hood.

Pyron story: the only none darkstalker in the group, this is about the energy being Pyron who feeds on planets: I always viewed him as nothing more than an excuse to tie the other characters together into one story.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Pyron was actually the original villain in the Darkstalkers series but canon states that he was killed and absorbed by Dimitri. That said, a Dimitri/Morrigan centric movie would involve him. That, to me, would give it a real Street Fight: The Movie feel, with Dimitri and Pyron filling out most of the lines, Morrigan, Jedah and Donovan getting supporting roles and everyone else, even Jon Talbain and Felicia, the most popular characters in the series, getting nothing more than glorified cameos.

Personally, to me the best approach would be a sort of Cowboy Bebop set-up, where the protagonists are wanderers that become involved in the plotlines of other darkstalkers in their travels. The best protagonists for that, I believe, would be Jon and Felicia. Both of them have dreams, but no pressing matters, so the two could simply come across each other in their pre-hermit/nun days and travel together out of convenience. Likewise, their conflicting personalites would ensure that at least one of them always becomes involved in the other darkstalker's plotline, as well as provide some interesting character chemistry.

Donovan would be a close second, but I'd have to opt against him because:
1) He is accompanied by a little girl (and little kids in action flicks are always irritating).
2) He's a fan tribute to Vampire Hunter D and, as you said, has a lot in common with Blade.
3) He's the atypical badass with a big sword. That's been done to death.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

The travelers cameo thing is done with both the Udon comics (currently on hiatus) and the Anime OVA.
In both we Have Donavan journeying around randomly, and Felicia journeying randomly.

But the comic was better, except they made some weird excuse to involve Bishamon in the plot (having him being the one that slaughtered Anita's village). In fact the best parts of the comic were the Morrigan/Demitri and Felicia/Jon plots.

Which gave me the idea that maybe they should just focus on small character groups. After all at least in Street Fighter they all had a common enemy and mixed personalities.

In the games continuity though Pyron's defeat had some odd continuity, as the third game implies he left in disgrace after loosing to the Darkstalkers. But several characters in the 2nd game had endings where they destroyed Pyron.
and I believe it was Morrigan who fed on Pyron and absorbed his powers.

The mini-book backstory for Morrigan states that had her father Belial not seperated her into two "lillith and Morrigan" she would have ascended like Pyron and destroyed the world.
Which just shows the comic and games don't relate to each other.

its a franchise with many bugs in it, but if they take little steps like specific character centered movies and see how this works with fans and any new fans for the movies they may be able to work out these bugs.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It was the "common enemy" thing that allowed a lot of them to be reduced to cameos. Cammy actually has a very detailed backstory with Bison, but the movie all but reduced her to one of Guile's sidekicks. The same thing happened to Jade from Mortal Kombat; her backstory states that she is a childhood friend of Princess Kitana, but the movie reduced her to the stereotypical dumb lackey that Shao Kahn kills to make an example to his other dumb lackeys.

Also, Bishamon slaughtering Anita's village isn't too farfetched for his character. Bishamon is sort of a wanderer like Jon and Donovan too, except he's cursed by an evil suit of armour and a sword that thirsts for blood.

I'm going to use Cowboy Bebop as an example again as to what would be the best format. First of all, in most of the episodes, only one or two of the four bounty hunters played a major role, and even then, they often played a supporting role to a one-time-only character crucial to the episode's plot. Using Darkstalkers as an example, Felicia may be the main character in an episode that is Rikuo or Sasquatch centric.

The Cowboy Bebop movie was just one of their more extreme cases. Just like in the TV show, Spike Spiegel was technically the main character, but the storyline revolved around Vincent, Electra, and to a lesser extent, Rasheed.

What I'm thinking is that Darkstalkers could be very much the same way. The central characters could be those that don't have any pressing issues or rivalries, and the episodes could be more centric to those that do. Some of the fillers/weirdos would have their one or two episodes, other "wandering" characters like Bishamon and B.B. Hood could make frequent appearances similar to Vicious and Julia in CB, and the movie, of course, would have to be about Dimitri, Morrigan and Jedah.

Dimitri / Morrigan do have the most pressing storyline, but it'll get tiresome after a while if all they and Jedah do is keep getting stronger and trying to outdo each other DBZ style. That's why I'd prefer the "wandering adventurer" format, and the two best suited to that would be Jon and Felicia. Of all the wanderers, Felicia is the only one that is trademarked as being friendly as opposed to a loner, so a lot of their interactions with other darkstalkers could be initiated through her. Jon's the best accompaniment for Felicia -- Donovan has Anita, and Bishamon and B.B. Hood are too bloodthirsty to be anything but frequent antagonists. Felicia and Jon are also two of the most popular characters in the series, so a series/movie with them as the protagonists would last longer.
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

Rhuen wrote:the Udon comics (currently on hiatus)
was there only six issues? i have the first six but never found any more :(
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

WereDog wrote:
Rhuen wrote:the Udon comics (currently on hiatus)
was there only six issues? i have the first six but never found any more :(
yeah, just the six, and they stopped right as Pyron was arriving, how screwed up is that? then again I feel they brought him in too fast. and made him too strong. After all they still had plenty of Darkstalkers to bring in.

I gave those six, plus the Manga book which combines all of them together, (but was made too small) the book also included the Morrigan Backstory. www.capcomcomics.com I check them periodically, they don't even have art up for the sixth issue. Don't know what the deal is here.
WereDog
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hell-hound From outer regions of pluto

Post by WereDog »

Good thing that the sixth issue atleast ended with a werewolf story :)

and that site is very badly updated. it doesnt even list the latest streetfighter issue.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

hmmm, looking at this poll I think the people want to see a Jon & Felicia picture.
8)

Then again This IS a werewolf site, the results may be one sided.
However the last time I made a poll like this elsewhere, no one had any idea what I was talking about
:(

Which means this is the right audience, which means the right audeince wants a Jon & Felicia movie!
:D

Now how to go about makeing them make one
:?