Whiskers

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should werewolves have whiskers in mid-form ?

Yes !
73%
No !
27%

Total votes: 26

Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Whiskers

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

I don't think we have discussed this before and it's something I just noticed while sketching a few moments ago. Well I was looking at werewolf mask collection and then looked at some wolf posters on my wall and it occured to me that real wolves have whiskers on their snouts. Well I don't think I've ever seen them on a werewolf at all. Should a werewolf have them ? I would think in their wolf form they would but what about they're mid-form ?
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I knew something was missing from these wolf emoticons. I just couldn't place it.!! Now I know!!

:D

But will we have a close up of the muzzle, in a particular scene, to notice them? Thats the real question.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

I think usually arent noticed because of the color, black. On a black werewolf all you might see is the gleam off of them, but on a paler colored wolf they would show up.

I'm sure there will be some close-ups of the faces even if for only a seconed or two, it may not be enough time to see them but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there. :wink:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well... I just looked at a bunch of wolf images online, and it took me a while to find one where the wolf's whiskers are actually distinguishable from the rest of its fur.

Jen & Chetan at Wolf Park

And even then you practically need to press your nose against the monitor to get a good look at them.

In terms of design, I think this is just a minor detail, one that probably wouldn't cause too much flak if it were to be left out. It'd be good for realism, but... On the whole, I'd say its only worth animating if it's easy and affordable.

EDIT: So... If their barely noticable in full form, I don't they'd ammount to much in mid form.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I don't know if you guys really realize just how many wolf/werewolf closeups are going to be in this film.

Whiskers will exist in wolf form, werewolf form, and grow as part of the transformation. They'll have to being as they exist, and we're going to have lots of muzzle, and face closeups. This is not a film where we only see the werewolf for a fleeting second, or just from a distance.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:I don't know if you guys really realize just how many wolf/werewolf closeups are going to be in this film.

Whiskers will exist in wolf form, werewolf form, and grow as part of the transformation. They'll have to being as they exist, and we're going to have lots of muzzle, and face closeups. This is not a film where we only see the werewolf for a fleeting second, or just from a distance.
Cool. In that case, prior comments negated. 8)
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Ok. I said no but if there's going to be closeups, yes. Oops. :|
Tovam
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Tovam »

Me to
With closeups, they should definately have whiskers :o
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Wolves have whiskers, so why the heck wouldn't a mid-form (gestalt) werewolf have them too? Thank goodness you have Tim as your art director, A. He keeps track of stuff like this ;)
Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana. Get over yourself.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:I don't know if you guys really realize just how many wolf/werewolf closeups are going to be in this film.

Oh good, close ups. I knew that was going to be important.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:

Oh good, close ups. I knew that was going to be important.
"Ok, Mr DeMills, I'm ready for my closeup!" :femshft
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

All right for close-ups! :howl:  :oo Definently have whiskers then....black whiskers, white whiskers, its all good 8)
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

Of course they should have lil whiskers, wolves have um. =^.^=
It's a shame an entire family can be torn up by something as simple as wild dogs.