Lets make a werewolf game... FOR REAL!!

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

kitetsu wrote:If someone makes a 2D lycanthrope shifter beatemup like Streets of Rage and those ol' Capcom beatemups
...Sorta like Altered Beast?
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

ravaged_warrior wrote:
kitetsu wrote:If someone makes a 2D lycanthrope shifter beatemup like Streets of Rage and those ol' Capcom beatemups
... That's side-scrolling. Beatemups are different.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

kitetsu wrote:
ravaged_warrior wrote:
... That's side-scrolling. Beatemups are different.
That's where the "sorta" comes in. I know what you mean by beat-em-up, things like Final Fight and a few others. It's actually one of my favorite game genres. I was actually disappointed the first time I played Altered Beast because it was sides-crolling like that when it could have been better if it were like Final Fight and Golden Axe. I actually wasn't trying to be snobby in that post. Sorry if it seemed like that, since I can see how it could come off like that.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

I was under the impression it was going to be 3D.....

The OGRE open source graphics engine works pretty well and would seem perfect for something like this. Especially since well you have a 3D modeller offering services. Just a suggestion though.

The way I see it, the game (if anyone is serious about making it) will most likely be RPG styled. (errr something like Morrowind:Bloodmoon) Of course this will be the opportunity for the "correct" features of a werewolf to be portrayed and it will be fun too. :D...well that is unless you don't like coding/modelling/level designing for fun, than it could be like work :D

I'm willing to help, even though I'm still low on the coding food chain. (I'll need guidance from someone better if I'm going to get further than basic code though -.-)

But if anyone here is really serious maybe when we (if ever) get started should look into getting a subforum?
My real online handle is Derutydragon

Post by Guest »

I'm just curious if anything has come of this. I've been running around the net looking for something for months, and was grumpily coming to the conclusion that I would have to write the f***ing thing myself if I wanted to play one.

I've had about three odd years coding delphi for work, as well as writing my own home theater program. Now I'm looking at using XNA because I like the idea of porting to the 360 and because work wants me to use Visual Studio / C anyway. I havent really had any experience coding games, however I've been reading up on the theory for the last few months. Basically I'm thinking of trying to create a werewolf rpg, but I know its not something I can do on my own. Now that I've found this thread, it might even be possible, although the start up is going to be damn slow.

I'd like to start on the project by the end of the month is anyone is up too it, although it would be a slower project than a commercial game cause yeah, it would only be for the fun of it. But hey, a bunch of werewolf fans might even be able to create a decent wolf game for a change.

Anyone interested?

I havent really posted on a forum before, please dont flame me too badly.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

For the sake of Figaru!

:Duckietoss:

Okay back on topic. I'm all in for a werewolf game as stated earlier. Theres a couple modellers here that who also like the idea. But the real problem is....theres nobody in charge thus no real master plan.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I was only toying with the idea of assisting. Who knows, I may actually do it if time permits. It all depends on how many people are working on it. If you plan on making an RPG, you'll need an army of modelers, texture and concept artists. Rest assured I would never join a large scale project where there are only two or three modelers. If it were an easier project like a multiplayer FPS or fighting game, it would be doable with perhaps three modelers, and about four texture artists. (Cuts down on personel if the modelers can texture too.) Your looking at a lighter workload as opposed to a full blown RPG. Morrowind had 50 modelers/ texture artists working around the clock from mountains of concept art. You certainly will never have that kind or workforce for free.

Be kind, and consider how much work would have to be put into a project by the rest of the team. In this project, most of us go to school, work, or generally have little freetime to devote to it. I'm not trying to be mean, but doing a RPG is impossible due to the sheer workload, and I would have to decline assisting in the proejct due to the fact. With a small scale crew, you need a small scale game. Something simple, yet entertaining.

Where we stand today is nowhere. We have no concept art, no sold game design setup to work from, and hell we haven't even decided on a genre to stick to. I can probobly do my part, but until we have mounds of concept art to work from, I can do little more than nap at my desk.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Okay we are going to do a FPS, but only one level (we simply don't have the man power, money, and know how to make a full game.)

I really think we should use blender since some of us already know how to use it, but we need some one to script it using python.

I can handle the level disgn, and concept art
we need some one to do the actual modling on blender
and we need the a scripter that know python to make that game logic, AI, ETC
THE GAME

My Armory

Pick a Genre

Post by Guest »

Ok first of all, I never intended creating something the size of morrowind. Even for commercial games, that one was big. I definately agree with the idea of the game being simple, however all I've really seen is 'we should do X' and thats about it. I like Anubis' idea of writing a FPS in blender, but coding would be the probably. I could try and learn Python, but its not great to try making a game in a language I know little about (C and delphi are very similar, I would adapt better to that than python). If theres any other python coders out there, I'd probably pick up the pace a bit quicker by deconstructing their code and so forth. I do like blender though, its a fairly easy modelling program.

Before we get too much further in, we'd need to know who would be willing to work on a small one level FPS and what they could contribute. If theres enough people that can help, then thats a plan.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

there are alot of "free" models out there too that we could also use....

http://www.3dlinks.com/links.cfm?catego ... egoryid=91

I like this one particularly...although it wouldn't be very useful for a werewolf game :D

http://www.3dchaya.com/download_mdl/download00.htm
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

You don't HAVE to use Blender to model in the right file formats. I can use Lightwave or Maya to create models in any major file format used by 3D programs. Using such a cheap program as a standard will be a hinderance if you refuse those of us that have high-end software. You can marry the multi-platforms together using a common file format. For models, the ".obj" file format is very basic. Just be sure to go back and check for inverted or missing polygons after the conversion. Transferring it sometimes requires some cleanup.

By the way... Level design and architecture concepts are my forte', but easy enough to do from scratch as it is. But if you want to download third-party models that may not follow the game's style be my guest. (I just have this pet-peeve against using someone else's material.)
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

lets just worry about making the actual game later, right now lets do the preproduction stuff.

First we need a story (who are we playing, who or what we are fighting, and most importantly why)

I suggest we use my RABID idea. (Have militant werewolf with a gun fighting vampires or what ever inside a sci-fi-ish military base.)
THE GAME

My Armory

Post by Guest »

I was hoping to get an idea who was onboard then start to nail down story, then go into more specifics (designs, programs etc). Anubis your story idea would work nicely for a simple one level thing, do you have much more developed of it that you could share. I have a few story lines involved, but not that would work with as a FPS.

As far as models go, I'm also against using net based objects, the few examples Ive seen have never worked right. Although if you spent enough time on each object, you could probably match it, but why bother. Kaebora's right, obj files can be imported from any 3d program from the look of it, so that leaves things open for anyone that wants to use just about whatever package they want. I've been looking into code on how to use the obj files in programs like delphi and C#, so if we cant find a python coder, I should be able to put it together in a language that I can work with easier.

As a personal question, are there any other coders reading this? If so, what language(s) do you use?
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

You know how to use C? well there is xna game studio (go to the first page for more info)

if you know how to do that then maybe we can use xna insted. is it possible to use blender for this? somebody fill me in cause i need to know what we need to do.

and as story goes i have some ideas about it but give me a little while to further them and make them workable.
THE GAME

My Armory

Post by Guest »

Im rusty on C, I was originally taught it but havent used it for about 5 years. We use Delphi at work for all our dev work, so thats what I've had the most practice in. They want me to change to Visual C anyway, so XNA is probably a good excuse to swap over anyway.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Okay then

First we need to start preproduction story, what's going into the game, who it would look, ETC

Then darkgoat would take care of programming the game

and Kaebora are you going to handle the modeling, making the enviroments, weapons, characters, animations, ETC? I'm making sure if you're volunteering or not i'm not sure, and if anybody that is willing to help kaebora out is welcome. It might be a big job for one person.

and i'll handle the concept art, designing the levels, and direct the whole thing, basicly anything that's not computer related. (this would be great on my application for game desgin school! :D that's if we pull it off)
THE GAME

My Armory
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Is there some way I could help?

Post by Guest »

Any help would be good. What can you do?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Hmmm... Well let's see here. It sounds like there will be a story, so I could write dialogue. I could also do some beta testing.

Post by Guest »

Any help is good help. Cant guarantee your going to have much to do for a while, but hey.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

I know C++ although I'm pretty sure I'd atleast some help from somebody else, because my knowledge is extremely limited.
And Blender really is more known as a modelling program. You can export everything from blender into any other format...although I don't know how :D

I'm still leaning toward using OGRE. Movement and orientation is pretty easy to setup at the beginning. I'm still learning it though :/

Post by Guest »

I've been looking around trying to get some more information on various programming stuff. I'm going to use XNA to write the program, theres some good tutorials floating around including details on how to write a game engine. There are some game engines being worked on for XNA, but the couple I looked at didn't seem ready yet.

I wont be able to download VC or XNA until my account gets unshaped in about a week, till then I will stick with reading tutorials. It looks like XNA reads most objects created through most 3d programs. If anyone feels bored in the next week, can you make a couple of simple models through whatever 3d programs you use and send them over, I can practice loading and displaying them so we know what will work.

Will have to work out some of the gameplay mechanics soon (before the story is completed) so that I can get on and draft out the design.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Cool i guess you could help out DarkGoat with the programming. I heard that C and C++ is kinda alike maybe you can learn C easily from your knowlage of ++.
Last edited by Anubis on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory

Post by Guest »

If you know the basics of C++, you should be helpful in coding. Blender was suggested because it does have a game programming side, although its kind of simplistic unless your very good with Python. Ogre is a decent 3d graphics layer for dx9, but I'm leaning towards XNA because its basically a next gen game design package using DirectX 10 technology and 360 portability. Given what I've seen of Dx10/360 program concepts, I'd have to say that would be the easiest option available for game coding.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Okay what about this

You play as an RABID operative and a base has been over run with vampires. Your goal is to get to the other side of the base and release a retro virus to kill them off and take back the base. You start at the helipad were you are dropped off. You do down to the hangar bay, then engineering AKA the power plant for the base that antimatter stored away that when shot at the whole base explodes, so it's very bad to shoot the antimatter containers. Then you go through administration then to the lab where it's at.
THE GAME

My Armory