Another weird question: What if someone destroys the moon?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Kwipper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werebear Extroidnare
Mood: Happy

Another weird question: What if someone destroys the moon?

Post by Kwipper »

What if someone destroys the moon. Now I know it would have planetary side-effects and stuff, but how would this affect the werewolves?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

?? Dude, if somebody fired a C+ cannon at the moon, my first throught would not be "damn, how am I going to shapeshift now?"

But to answer your question, the current consensus on lycanthropy is that it is more psychological than supernatural. The full moon has been scientifically proven to have a psychological influence on humans and animals, so a full moon doesn't cause a shift -- it just makes a werewolf more tempted to.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

"What if someone destroys the moon"?

Uhm, we're making a werewolf movie, not a DBZ one.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Kwipper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werebear Extroidnare
Mood: Happy

Post by Kwipper »

Ummm.. okay, but this is not about the movie. I'm just asking it to satasify my curiousity.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Most likely, if someone were to blow up the moon, the resulting debris shower would demolish the vast majority of all ecosystems, and life as we know it would be utterly destroyed.
And then some.
If we're lucky, the largest terrestrial organisms that survive will probably be roaches and or house flies.
And that everything bigger would have been blown to bits, we would probably be assured that werewolves would be unable to change shape, given as how they'd all be dead.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Exactly.....

Someone has reading to many Nat. Enquirer headlines...... :wink:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I believe the question is what kind of Tie to the werewolves have to the moon.

I think the moon has a direct tie with them internally. Without the moon it would not be possible for new werewolves to change. Only after they had learned enough about their bodies to control it could they change without the moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:?? Dude, if somebody fired a C+ cannon at the moon, my first throught would not be "damn, how am I going to shapeshift now?
*holds a picture of the moon in front of Terastas*

Figarou-- "Hmmmm....nothing happened. Let see if it works on me."

AHHHHH!!!! *Boink* *Spin* *poof* :shift:

ARRROOOOO!! :howl:  :oo GrrrrRRrrr! SNORT!!! "Where's Puggsy? I mean Terastas?"

Terastas-- "Get away from me you nutty werewolf or you'll get duckified!"

Figarou-- "Duckified? You wouldn't dare!"

Figarou--"Ow, that smarts!!"

:lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Were... wolf?

ME-OW!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Were... wolf?

ME-OW!

:lol:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

ABrownrigg wrote:I believe the question is what kind of Tie to the werewolves have to the moon.

I think the moon has a direct tie with them internally. Without the moon it would not be possible for new werewolves to change. Only after they had learned enough about their bodies to control it could they change without the moon.
I see...so a new (just bitten), Werewolf would still technically be a Werewolf, but without the presence of the moon to involuntarily trigger a shift, the dormant weres would not know what it feels like, or how it happens and therefore wouldn't have a clue how to force it. ...So, they would never shift at all, and may never know that they are werewolves.

...could you assume, however, that if a dormant WW was to recieve intensive "coaching" from an old Pro, they could Learn how to "flex that muscle", as it were?...eventually...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Eventually its possible. But its like telling someone what chocholate tastes like without them having ever tasted it before.

You can tell them all day long, but the neural processes havent developed to comprehend it in the human mind. You don't suddenly gain a memory of how to shift just because your bitten. I know some like that possability, (blood memory) that kind of thing. or instinct, but to me its just too far fetched, and I'm keep that out.

But since someone blowing up the moon has NO relevance to the plotline in this film. I don't see how it makes a difference.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

ABrownrigg wrote:But since someone blowing up the moon has NO relevance to the plotline in this film. I don't see how it makes a difference.
I think it really has more to do with wondering how a werewolf works, and just how deep it's connection with the Moon really is, than, "...so what would happen if the Moon explodes in the next film?...".

I think a better way to phrase the question would be, "What if the Moon was not there?". Such as, near the poles where the sun and moon don't make the same regular appearances in the sky as in the rest of the world. How would that effect a werewolf?

(...of course, as many of us are allready aware, someone else is allready trying to answer the question of what would happen if werewolves were actually ON the Moon... :wink: :lol: )
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Want to see something strange? I asked this type of question almost a month ago. :(

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =5456#5456
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Scientificly I can only find the tides and the moons effect on water, and gravity in general that would work in a scientific level on werewolves. But I have to admit, that aside from all of that, I'm a fan of the moon.

Silver fought for the moon from the get-go, and after really looking at it up in the sky. There is a certain sense of poetry, and majesty, and something that despite its scientific explanations, leads me towards an emotion, a representation of freedom, of love, of symbolism. So the moon WILL play a part, its not all, its not the only thing, but it definitly plays a part.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:Scientificly I can only find the tides and the moons effect on water, and gravity in general that would work in a scientific level on werewolves. But I have to admit, that aside from all of that, I'm a fan of the moon.

Hmmm...the moon's effects on water and gravity should be the same no matter what phase the moon is in. So why the full moon?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Want to see something strange? I asked this type of question almost a month ago. :(

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =5456#5456
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would happen if the moon left the earth's orbit. What then?

Or another moon came out of nowhere and entered the orbit of our current moon?

Or something happens on the moon's surface that gives off a permanent green glow instead of white?

Or the moon breaks in 2.

Or man finds a way to turn it into a living breathing planet?
I would think that anything that changes the nature or form of the Moon (change color{possibly because of a newly formed ocean and atmosphere}, break in two, or vanishes completely into the void of space) would simply disassociate itself, making it no longer have it's former effect on WW's at all.

As for adding a second moon, or a mini-moon orbiting the moon, I would imagine that such a thing would wreak havok on any poor WW's unable to fight the doubled pull...or maybe the new moon might have a totally different effect than the normal one, causing them to shift back and forth erraticly or possibly shift improperly into an uncomfortable 3/4 form...

...or maybe they would change into WereDuckies instead, with an unsatisfiable hunger for Pie. :duckie lck :lol:

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Hmmm...the moon's effects on water and gravity should be the same no matter what phase the moon is in. So why the full moon?
The FULL MOON it the moment in time when the Sun and Moon are dirrecltly opposite each other across the Earth, with their gravities pulling against each other.

Edit: Sorry for "double posting". :oops:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ah! okie dokie then!!
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

What if a werewolf hopped on a spaceship and warpdrived to the planet Nuplexus which has the same day/night cycle as Earth but has about 53 and a half different moons?

*stares at the question*

Whoa, where did that come from :?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

CrewWolf wrote:What if a werewolf hopped on a spaceship and warpdrived to the planet Nuplexus which has the same day/night cycle as Earth but has about 53 and a half different moons?

*stares at the question*

You've been eating Mounds again, haven't you?
Or is that distemper medication I smell on your breath?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

Apokryltaros wrote:
CrewWolf wrote:What if a werewolf hopped on a spaceship and warpdrived to the planet Nuplexus which has the same day/night cycle as Earth but has about 53 and a half different moons?

*stares at the question*

You've been eating Mounds again, haven't you?
Or is that distemper medication I smell on your breath?
I-I can quit anytime I want! *shoves a handful of Mounds in a backpocket and sidles off*
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

*picks three bags of coconut out of crewwolf's back pokets* Uh huh. Right. i thnk tht if anyone destryoed the moon, ignoring the vast ecological horros then bestowed upon us, a video of the moon might help new weres.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadowblaze wrote:... ignoring the vast ecological horros then bestowed upon us, a video of the moon might help new weres.
Based on an earlier comment by ABrownrigg, I am under the impression that, for the purposes of the rule-set behind this film, the actual Physical presence of the moon, (complete with it's gravitational pull, radiation, etc.), is "required" to trigger a New WW's first shift. Merely viewing an image of a silver disk would not be sufficient.

After that, seeing an image of the Full Moon could trigger a memeory of that first shift and likewise trigger a repeat performance. :shift:

=^.^'= ~
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

They're on Dantooine...

Post by Scott Gardener »

It depends on one's interpretation of lycanthropy; it could do anything from absolutely nothing to curing everybody.

Obviously, for the sake of arguement, we're assuming you mean destroying the moon in a very controlled manner, so as not to wipe out all life on Earth in the process. A mere five km wide fragment hitting Earth would be globally catastrophic, and the Moon measures a crapload of a lot more. If a medium-sized piece of it were to hit Earth, life would be wiped out everywhere on Earth in hours, or possibly minutes.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...