It Begins...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

It Begins...

Post by Silverclaw »

So, how would a werewolf feel right before they started shifting? Like they are burning up(ala AWIL), itching, pains, dizzy, ect.
Hehe, sounds like side effects on a bottle of medicine :lol:
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

perhaps giddy as the "chemicals" that cause the change move thru the body..
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

...hmmm...

Tense. ...stiff...with aching muscles and joints all over.

Slightly light headed and disconnected from the body...numb...like that is not really your skin but something you are wearing.

Lightly nauxious with a pins and needles sensation spreading throughout the body, making all hairs stand on end...goosebumps...

...sort of twitchy...pumped...like an electical current is running through, and the sensation of every movement is amplified.

...an empty feeling...the body feels too light...too small. Just...wrong ...but it is feeling more right with each passing moment.

Exitement...anticipation... ... as if asleep untill then, but now truely feeling Awake.

...no longer numb... Burning...the touch of heat, cold, pain...returns to the body, spreading from the inside and extending outward ...pushing ...extending beyond where the body ends.

...a ghost sensation of what what could be... what should be... what will be... what is becomming...

shhowl -----------------------------------------------------------------:femshft
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:...hmmm...

Tense. ...stiff...with aching muscles and joints all over.

Slightly light headed and disconnected from the body...numb...like that is not really your skin but something you are wearing.

Lightly nauxious with a pins and needles sensation spreading throughout the body, making all hairs stand on end...goosebumps...

...sort of twitchy...pumped...like an electical current is running through, and the sensation of every movement is amplified.

...an empty feeling...the body feels too light...too small. Just...wrong ...but it is feeling more right with each passing moment.

Exitement...anticipation... ... as if asleep untill then, but now truely feeling Awake.

...no longer numb... Burning...the touch of heat, cold, pain...returns to the body, spreading from the inside and extending outward ...pushing ...extending beyond where the body ends.

...a ghost sensation of what what could be... what should be... what will be... what is becomming...

shhowl -----------------------------------------------------------------:femshft

Summed it up very nicely.
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

I was never a big "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fan (the T.V. show, not the movie), but I did happen to catch the episode featuring a female werewolf/goth band lead singer. She says that she always feels an incredible "buzz" before the Change, kinda like euphoria mixed with drunkeness. I sorta like that description.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

First thing that came to mind was itching due to the fur, but since that's one of the last things coming in the shift sequence to avoid the "furry balloon" appearance, that might not come until after the shift is complete.

Hmmm... Well, for their first full-moon shift, probably some tension in their muscles, sensitivity of the eyes, stiff joints, toothache... And probably some ultra-clear sinuses -- like a feeling like they just had too much wasabi in one mouthful. Basically, just overall irritability.

Then once they learn to control the shift, they'd probably be able to skip the side-effects and jump straight to the sharp pain of bone-bending.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Osteopathic lycanthropology

Post by Scott Gardener »

The first time:

Intense pain--a burning sensation as nerve endings everywhere sense things getting rearranged. Pain would be sharp and diffuse, but greatest in the legs, the sacrum--where the tail is about to form, hands, the head, and particularly the teeth. Dental pain hurts worse than anything.

For a seasoned shapeshifter:

A soothing warmth, perhaps with a slight itch or tingle spreading as a wave over the body inward from the extremities. It would be a fluid-like feeling, similar to being aware of your own craniosacral rhythm.

(For info on the craniosacral rhythm, look at http://www.craniosacral.com/ and other sources. A Google search of the term will point out very quickly how controversial this topic is in medicine, but as a D.O., I have felt this phenomenon personally in others and myself, so I can assure you, therapeutic theories valid or not, the thing itself does exist.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

I always liked AWIL's take on it. :)
It's a shame an entire family can be torn up by something as simple as wild dogs.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

...Am I the only one who thinks a TF wouldn't hurt? It's like the time people were talking about how much they hurt while growing. I didn't feel a thing, but apparently the others did feel some amount of pain on occasion while they were growing up. Even dream shifts don't hurt and I can feel everything in my dreams like it's real. Apparently I'm an oddball, even by werewolf standards.

The fur doesn't itch. Trust me. If anything it tickles. That's not from it growing but from the fur rubbing against the skin. Your hair doesn't itch when it grows, and hair grows all the time. Why should it itch during a TF?

As for the feeling right before...I don't know. Perhaps one of you geniuses has an idea. Me? I'm just some kid, what do I know eh?
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I think it would hurt the first or first few times a werewolf shifts unless the body or mind can come up with somesort of pain...reduction...hormone stuff. There should be some pain but also I think if a werewolf felt every single change in their body, they'll probably spend their first night as a werewolf unconscious and laid out for a week.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I guess growing fur would be really itchy if your wearing clothing. They would be growing a full pelt within a few minutes.
I agree with Scott G a lot. Feeling lots of pain in your face, teeth, hands, feet and tail bone area. Shifting really can be a pain in the a**, literly :lol: Achy all day, some heightened senses, and generaly just about everything Vuldari stated. :) Just before the transformation, the pains get a lot worse and burning inside and out.
I think shape shifting would still hurt no matter how much one practiced. Just not as awful as the first time.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmm.....

This brings up a question.

Can werewolves suffer from ingrown hairs while shifting for the 1st time?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Reilune wrote:...Am I the only one who thinks a TF wouldn't hurt? It's like the time people were talking about how much they hurt while growing. I didn't feel a thing, but apparently the others did feel some amount of pain on occasion while they were growing up. Even dream shifts don't hurt and I can feel everything in my dreams like it's real. Apparently I'm an oddball, even by werewolf standards.

The fur doesn't itch. Trust me. If anything it tickles. That's not from it growing but from the fur rubbing against the skin. Your hair doesn't itch when it grows, and hair grows all the time. Why should it itch during a TF?
I guess growing up is different for everyone, but for me, I had far too many "Growing Pains" in my life to believe that the TF would be painless. As a young child, the bones growing in my legs made for some of the most excruciatingly painful days of my life, (and then they were only growing about 1/100in. per month). I went through almost the same thing with my rib-cage just a few years ago. Growth spurts hurt like *#$%!!!...

...true...when I have shapeshifting dreams, I never feel any pain. ...but then...it is extremely unusual for anyone to feel pain in a dream.

As for the Fur not itching...take it from a hairy man. Hair/Fur itches. More hair itches alot.
Figarou wrote:Hmmmm.....

This brings up a question.

Can werewolves suffer from ingrown hairs while shifting for the 1st time?
:( ...ouch... :cry:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Vuldari wrote: ...true...when I have shapeshifting dreams, I never feel any pain. ...but then...it is extremely unusual for anyone to feel pain in a dream.
Ha...hahahaha...not if you're me. I've been shot, stabbed, burnt, struck by lightning and everything else...and felt it like it had really happened. My dreams, generally, are not at all fun. But for some reason I've never died in one. *shrugs*

I guess pain during a TF would also vary according to the person. You, Vuldari, would probably have a heck of a time while for me it wouldn't be as bad.

Well I'm not excetionally er, "wooly", so I'll just have to take your word for it on the itchy hair thing. I just have some trouble understanding certain things because I tend to see them from a different viewpoint than most people.
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Reilune wrote:My dreams, generally, are not at all fun. But for some reason I've never died in one. *shrugs*.
According to many theorists and dream analysts/psychologists, you can't actually die in a dream, or you will die in real life. This was the inspiration for the whole "Nightmare on Elm Street" series (remember when Wes Craven made movies that were actually scary, not funny-posing-as-scary?), where all the characters who died in their dreams died in real life, well, "real" for the movie's story. I still haven't heard of or met anyone who died in a dream. I've come close (falling down a cliff) but never actually "crossed over," so to speak.
That ends today's lesson.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Reminds me of the movie Dreamscape.
Rodentia
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rodentia »

I think Adrian Paul ( of the series 'Highlander..talking about the "quickening) said it best "the most excruiciating pain..and the ultimate orgasmic pleasure..
To Sleep..Perchance To Scream
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Rodentia wrote:I think Adrian Paul ( of the series 'Highlander..talking about the "quickening) said it best "the most excruiciating pain..and the ultimate orgasmic pleasure..
To which I reply,
"My god! Your pelvis has just been crushed to a pulp! Why the hell are you smiling like that?"
"My Medicare covers this!"
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Howling Fan wrote:According to many theorists and dream analysts/psychologists, you can't actually die in a dream, or you will die in real life.
How about if you have the soul ripped out of your body? Isn't that kind of the same thing? (Yes that happened to me...) I'm still not dead.

Getting off topic aren't we?
:P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: It Begins...

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:So, how would a werewolf feel right before they started shifting? Like they are burning up(ala AWIL), itching, pains, dizzy, ect.

Hmmm...let me put myself in that position. How would I feel right before shifting? Well, if I was shifting for the 1st time, I'd be scared to death!! Its almost like that 1st leap out of an airplane. Your heart is racing, blood is flowing through your veins. ETC. Your thinking, "Will I live through this?"

Once its over, you realize, "That wasn't so bad." That was actually fun!! Lets do it again!!

:D
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

Figarou wrote:
Silverclaw wrote:So, how would a werewolf feel right before they started shifting? Like they are burning up(ala AWIL), itching, pains, dizzy, ect.

Hmmm...let me put myself in that position. How would I feel right before shifting? Well, if I was shifting for the 1st time, I'd be scared to death!! Its almost like that 1st leap out of an airplane. Your heart is racing, blood is flowing through your veins. ETC. Your thinking, "Will I live through this?"

Once its over, you realize, "That wasn't so bad." That was actually fun!! Lets do it again!!

:D
You might also be thinking, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"
or depending on your state of mind, "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
or my personal favorite, "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" or "Glrphgl."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

CrewWolf wrote: You might also be thinking, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"
or depending on your state of mind, "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
or my personal favorite, "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" or "Glrphgl."

Or "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Reilune wrote:
Vuldari wrote: ...true...when I have shapeshifting dreams, I never feel any pain. ...but then...it is extremely unusual for anyone to feel pain in a dream.
Ha...hahahaha...not if you're me. I've been shot, stabbed, burnt, struck by lightning and everything else...and felt it like it had really happened. My dreams, generally, are not at all fun. But for some reason I've never died in one. *shrugs*
Of course, you do must realize that the reason why people don't feel pain in a dream is because the metabolic pathway that causes the actual, physical sensation of pain simply can not occur due to the events of a dream, unless these events coincide with some event that occurs while you're asleep, ie, you dream of falling off a 100 story building and feel the impact when you fall out of bed.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Reilune wrote:
Of course, you do must realize that the reason why people don't feel pain in a dream is because the metabolic pathway that causes the actual, physical sensation of pain simply can not occur due to the events of a dream, unless these events coincide with some event that occurs while you're asleep, ie, you dream of falling off a 100 story building and feel the impact when you fall out of bed.

I had a dream where a building exploded. In reality, I farted!! :lol:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote: I had a dream where a building exploded. In reality, I farted!! :lol:
Not only do you need to lay off of the coconut, you also have to lay off of the enchiladas!
-Calculon