What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Killing NPCs is foul murder!

Post by Aki »

So stupid it's funny.

Germany's nuts. I mean, before this it was silly on the violence issue. And now this. Whichever politician came up with this doing one of two things:

A. He's actually buying this BS, and looks to outshine Jack Thompson as the renowned violent-video-game idiot.

B. He's doing it for political reasons.

I'm inclined to B. I can't believe someone to think that killing a game character is worthy of punishment. A mean - they don't exist beyond code!

Insane.

Luckily, chances are it won't be passed.
twirrlacurl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by twirrlacurl »

That's why America rules...ahhhhh Freedom..... eventhough everybody hates America, even the people who live there... grrrrrrr...

Simply put that's freaking insane! I strongly believe people DO NOT become more violent becuase of video games. All the people that went berserk and recreated the events in video games had family issues, personal issues, or had a psychological disorder... yet the games made them do it..pffff. Truely this has gone too far.

About the u.s. I love the world too! Don't attack me.
Meet me on the tee, it's going down. Meet me on the green it's going down. Anywhere you meet me guaranteed its going down.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Well, that's the stupidest thing I've read all day. I agree with you about the politician who came up with it. As for Jack Thompson... This photo manipulation I did says pretty much everything I think of him:

Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

Man Germany can be dumb sometimes

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

OH FOR THE LOVE OF!! :x

I hate people who put down video games. Dushes like Jack Thompson and any politician that rags on video games are OLD WHITE and never played a video game in their life!

These people think that violence toward others in games are making the players violent. If they using that same logic to ban any game that has violance towards human or human-like NPC. should just also ban some sports like Rugby, American Football, La Cross, paint ball, wrestling, and Hockey.

Also they are only doing this to further their own careers. Lets take our old friend Jack Thompson as an example. Due to his crusade on video games he has been on 20/20, Oprah, Attack of the Show, ETC.

hmmmmmm..... looks like some one is getting a lot of free PR.

Also video games are an easy target for politicians

*cough* Hillary Clinton *cough* (that b**** needs to die!)

Because old people like our parents that never even played a game. Are absolutely ignorant about games and are easy to make some gullible, over protective parents fear it and eat up the lies that he's/she's talking about, and as i take it that Germen politicians are just as stupid, and ignorant. I'm sooooooo glad that i don't live in Germany.

It's like in 50's and 60's where people felt the same way about rock music. The parents felt that it would ruin their minds, but the kids knew it was harmless.

Not only is it harmless but it's actually good for you! There have been studies about video games actually teaching the gamer! You might not learn about math, reading, writing, maybe history, but it does teach some cognitive techniques like critical thinking, and problem solving just to name a few. Also it improves hand-eye coordination, it's been prooven that surgeons that played video games make 40% less mistakes in the operating room!

All old people suck when coming to the needs of younger people.
Last edited by Anubis on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
darkest wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Begin the day with a friendly voice- a companion unobtrusive, plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood..."- The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Additional Details: l------------l
l------------l
l------5--3--l
l-3----5--3--l
l-3----3--1--l
l-1----------l
Mood: Excited

Post by darkest wolf »

Ah yes, the hypocritical politicians. They've probably all have had a hoard of videos games.

Guns, music, videos games don't kill people. People who make the wrong decisions kill people..."
Last edited by darkest wolf on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Photo and avatar by takyoji

"He who dares wins."- Winston Churchill
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

.....I don't hate America, and I don't think you do either twirrlacurl so why even say it.

Secondly, Germany is afraid that it will be seen as Nazi if they slip up with violence or racism or language anywhere in their society, they have been up tight since WWII, and is nowhere as cool as their neighbor the Netherlands.
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

Politicians neglect the single most important aspect for underage individuals gaining access to mature rated video games--- the child’s parents or guardians. The caregivers are ultimately responsible to what their child is exposed. The underage individual cannot purchase a mature rated game, but the caregiver can. If the child is exposed to the “evils of video games”, it is the fault of the youngster’s provider for purchasing the game. However, they continue to provide pressure on the industry, because they do not want it to be considered their responsibility to monitor their child.

In addition, the parents/guardians should be able to gauge their child’s mental stability and maturity levels to determine if the child is capable of handling a game with violence.

But it would be asking too much for parents to be responsible for that, wouldn’t it?
twirrlacurl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by twirrlacurl »

Sorry, Fenrir. I meant to say that democrats hate America, cuz they're the ones complaining all the time.... And right on Anubis! Hilary Clinton does need to die... Barack Obama with her too. I hope to god that none of you are forced to read his book "Dreams from my Father". Well that was off topic. Glad to see everyone agrees that many a politicans will be murdered if video games are concidered murder. Could you imagine the riots!? I agree that adults now don't understand the whole gaming experience. Just wait 15 years, our time will some.
Meet me on the tee, it's going down. Meet me on the green it's going down. Anywhere you meet me guaranteed its going down.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Wow, talk about over reaction
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i like germany, but this is redicules
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

Arrest me. I've thrown nuclear duckies at virtual wolves. Therefore, I'm a cold bloded killer.

:duckbomb: :duckbomb2: :bombzom: :dizzy:
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
ArcaneWerewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ArcaneWerewolf »

Politicians are always coming up with dumb crap like this. All they ever do is want to find something to complain about or blame. And Anubis is right about games being able to teach some stuff, but politicians, being the liars they are, can turn ANYTHING positive into a negative. If they're told that games can teach, they'll just say some BS like, "But they can teach people how to properly handle guns and other deadly weapons!"
psiguy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The pack's Linux Nerd

Post by psiguy »

That is true. Video games do teach people how to "frag". However, since videogames are quite effective at this kind of education, we might as well arrest the army, the navy, and any millitary personell in between because they use games as a basisis for combat simulation.
www.psiguy.deviantart.com <-- My artwork and generalities.

May the force be with you!!!
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

While you guys talk about the German government's usual crazy cockerheaded spiel, lookie what i found!

I hate it when Mr. Coolidge is right.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think we allready disscused that game but any way that was probaly made by some crazy a** militant christain fanatics trying to scare the youth into christainity and start a full blown "holly war".

also i think that RELIGION SHOULD STAY OUT OF VIDEO GAMES!!! they really make bad games, case in point. "the bible game"

:shudder: that's just plain WRONG! :(
http://www.cravegames.com/games/biblegame/index.html
THE GAME

My Armory
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Anubis wrote:i think we allready disscused that game but any way that was probaly made by some crazy a** militant christain fanatics trying to scare the youth into christainity and start a full blown "holly war".

also i think that RELIGION SHOULD STAY OUT OF VIDEO GAMES!!! they really make bad games, case in point. "the bible game"

I disagree. Shin Megami Tensei has heavy references to religion, yet it stays out of the suck-zone pretty well, in spite of the Pope hating this series very much. But since you're talking about BLATANT religious games, yes, they suck s*** even worse than Barbie games.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

What Germany is going to find out the hard way is that, not only is this bad for their economy, but that a ban on all violent video games may actually increase the number of teen killings.

People play video games to do things they could never do in real life; why do you think all the classic 8-bit games were all either about winning a tournament or saving the world? I therefore consider it a very good sign that Grand Theft Auto is one of the most successful franchises in the history of gaming; since it's so much easier and so much more fun to commit crimes in GTA than in real life, why would you ever do it any other way? Video games, just like movies, are an escape.

People like Jack Thompson probably couldn't tell Twisted Metal from Tetris, but it's such an easy way to boost your career. Essentially these politicians are simultaneously screwing their economy and robbing their youths of an easy means of channeling their anger just to further their own miserable careers. All the current gaming industries will be reluctant to deal with Germany period because there's no telling how much more anal their gaming laws will be. And, since they will no longer be able to relieve stress in a virtual world, a lot of kids that would have otherwise been fine may decide to take out their frustration in real time. It's inevitable that there are always going to be one or two idiot kids that can't tell the difference between what happens in reality and what they see in video games, TV, comic books, etc., but the more you try to isolate and protect those one or two retards lost in the population, the more otherwise normal people you're going to push over the edge.

Mark my words, if this legislature is passed, we're going to see two things:

1) More German foreign exchange students.
2) One riot or more per soccer game.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

(EDIT)
Last edited by Lycanthrope on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

psiguy wrote:That is true. Video games do teach people how to "frag". However, since videogames are quite effective at this kind of education, we might as well arrest the army, the navy, and any millitary personell in between because they use games as a basisis for combat simulation.
Not really. Games teach you little in how to kill people.

That little being - if I point a gun at something, and pull the trigger, it'll either be wounded or die. Or stuff like how explosives can kill you in addition to your foes. Something anyone could pick up from movies, books, or, hell, the newspaper.

None of which is anything resembling field experience, even if it's field experience with a airsoft/paintball/bee-bee gun, which aren't very often lethal. It cannot prepare you for the weight, the kick, it more often than not, cannot teach you the proper manner in which to hold and fire a gun accurately. It cannot teach you to aim a gun as most games use a controller pad. They more often than not, feature a character who kills many more men than a single man probably could (not than single men killing scores of men is impossible, it's just damn unlikely, especially if you're not pulling any special tactic). etc.

The games the army, navy, etc. use are more accurate. Though, obviously, not a subsititute for actual training. A game like 'America's Army' would be a more accurate representation of combat than 'Halo: Combat Evolved', becuase it's based in real life, things like weapon jams happen, and you're not a genetically ehanced supersoldier in a suit of uber-armor blasting aliens.

Using what a game gives you in a combat situation is liable to you fragged. :D
kitetsu wrote:
Anubis wrote:i think we allready disscused that game but any way that was probaly made by some crazy a** militant christain fanatics trying to scare the youth into christainity and start a full blown "holly war".

I disagree. Shin Megami Tensei has heavy references to religion, yet it stays out of the suck-zone pretty well, in spite of the Pope hating this series very much. But since you're talking about BLATANT religious games, yes, they suck s*** even worse than Barbie games.
Yeah, if well-done, religion can be very useful in a video game.

The very popular Halo series contains numerous biblical references ("The Covenant", "The Flood", "The Ark", "Halo", etc.) but they're done well and subtly. ;)

What Germany is going to find out the hard way is that, not only is this bad for their economy, but that a ban on all violent video games may actually increase the number of teen killings.
Yeah. Remember what happened when America banned alcohol?

Hoo-boy. Hope it doesn't go that way with video games. 'Cause german gangsters shooting people up for video games sounds absurd. But, killing people over booze does too, doesn't it?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

That is a very stupid concept, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it wrong.

I also don't consider the Biblical references in games like Halo to be wrong in any way because Religion is just the ongoing theme. Video games have evolved into stories, and just like books and movies, very little that is seen in video games is ever meant to be accepted as truth.

This, however, is where I draw the line:
Purpose Driven Life Takers

The deciding factor of whether or not a video game is criminally offensive, I believe, is not the content of the game itself, but whether or not the developers intend for the contents of that game to be recreated in real life. Regardless of how realistic video games become, there will always be a fine line between fantasy and reality. It's only those people that try to blur that line that need to be watched.