Teeth

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Teeth

Post by deruty »

Heres a question....

What would happen if a werewolf had a crown or implant installed whilst human. Would he/she then have to get a new one every time she/he shifted?
Or would the implant/crown stay there and just be in the way?

(I couldn't find a prior topic relating to this...although I remember reading one about contact lenses)
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

In order of relevance.

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... .php?t=454 "Braces"

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=3342 "the teeth...where do they come from,where do they go to"

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... .php?t=277 "Teeth when shifting...something I noticed..." (not entirely related)

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... c.php?t=82 "Teeth And Claws" (also slightly different topic)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

Well crowns and braces aren't entirely the same.....

Next time l'll look a bit harder ><
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

deruty wrote:Well crowns and braces aren't entirely the same.....

Next time l'll look a bit harder ><
No worries... Image

Anyway...I can't think of anything significantly insightful on this subject right now. First, I would need to decide on one particular method by which the teeth grow and change. Then I could make some hypotheses on what I think would happen.

Overall though, I think that anything extensive would become painful (moreso than usual) for the mouth during a TF and any crowns and fillings would be long gone after a shift, since the teeth will have (one way or another) changed into shapes that those artificial additions would not fit in/on any more.

I think they would be broken and ejected...possibly screwing up the development of those teeth in the process. ...unless this is a kind of werewolf that can miraculously absorb any stray matter inside their body. Then they would just be absorbed and disappear.

On the other hand, I suppose the teeth could possibly grow around the crowns/fillings...which would ultimately weaken the teeth because of being hollowed out and divided and could cause the teeth of said werewolf to break if they bit anything too hard.

In other words ... it would likely be bad...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

This still has been covered in the braces topic. Because a werewolf's jaw structure would continuously distort, any attempt at correcting a werewolf's teeth would be futile at best.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

This brings to mind buck-toothed, gap toothed, and any-which way toothed Were's. Imagine being bitten by one of those... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Interestingly enough, I just had two silver fillings put in on Thursday. That really has no real relevance to this conversation, but I just felt like sharing anyway.

...unless, of course, if I happen to be bitten by a werewolf in the near future, I'll be sure to give a detailed description of what effect those fillings had on my teeth after my first TF.

-Jk Image

=^.^'= ~
RedEye

Wait a minute!

Post by RedEye »

Don't Werewolves heal almost instantly? Well, an infection of Caries, also known as a cavity, woulf fit under this rule. Werewolves wouldn't get cavities, and any cavities that the Human had pre-Were' ing would be healed.
That would be a way of finding Were's: Looking for the fillings, now missing because the tooth enamel healed up.
Not recommended.... :lol:
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

hmm I would think the person, if born a werewolf, the teeth would already be straight and if biten then they would go strait if they weren't before?
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Just for fun, let's add a dimension to this question of Teeth. Would it be unreasonable for the Were' to retain their Wolf teeth? Remember, Wolves and all canids have quite human looking incisors (the foremost teeth in the dental arch). Through my own experiencce, I can attest to the fact that the "Fangs", or Canine teeth can be hidden and be quite invisible if you don't open wide when you speak.* Laughing or yawning, well, you cover your mouth. It's still good manners.
So, along with all the tooth questions, might a Were' retain their Wolf teeth when in Human form?

*I have a genetic thing called Canidentia Imperfectens or Canidentia Insipidus (depending on the dentist) wherein my canine teeth actually do extend beyond the rest of my teeth by a little less than 3/16" (3mm). It really isn't the fun thing you'd expect it to be. A lot of times, it's "fixed" by grinding and crowning back to "normal".
Last edited by RedEye on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Would it be unreasonable for the Were' to retain their Wolf teeth? Remember, Wolves and all canids have quite human looking incisors (the foremost teeth in the dental arch).
It would be unreasonable for Weres to retain their wolf teeth. Because retaining wolf teeth means retaining of the wolf skull. A human skull doesn't provide enough space for all those wolf teeth. Remember, muzzles of wolves are much longer than those of human beeings. In order of retransformation into human form a Were has to re-gain human teeth to be able to regenarate his human face.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

most likely... absolutly hell on the weres dental plan....seriously....just think about it... if it had a bad dental structure and had to have braces, crown, caps, bridges(especially)be freakin hell :)
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

I can see them trying to make excuses

Dentist - That's the fourth crown that's been lost in 3 months

Were- I really really really like chewing gum and ice *shifty eyes*
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

Well in my opinion crowns and other things of Dentistry wouldn't be needed because of the whole regeneration thing( healing)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

...that's just dodging the question.

What if the person already had lots of crowns and fillings and cavities in their teeth, and THEN got bitten and became a Werewolf. Then what?

=^.^'= ~
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

I'd guess that the fillings and stuff would be the wrong shape for a wolf's teeth, and would either break off and fall out or be rejected outright by the shifting teeth. Cavities... I'm not sure whether shifting would reverse the effects of decay or just carry them over into the other form.

Would be more curious as to what would happen with missing teeth. Would raise definite questions if they somehow fixed themselves... I can almost imagine a funny scene, if a werewolf version of me goes to the dentist for a checkup and the bloke looks around, checks my records, glares at me and says something like "all right, what sort of a joke is this? I distinctly remember pulling that tooth three years ago, so what is it doing back in there?"...
RedEye

Toof's

Post by RedEye »

Actually, there are several different possibilities here:
A Born werewolf wouldn't go to a dentist, other than for problems with their baby teeth, which are lost anyway.

A Crossed werewolf would just have to change dentists, and say they hadn't had a dentist before. (Crossed = made Werewolf)

There might actually be a dentist that 'specialized' in..."different teeth". The Dentist would be "in on the Secret" and get a decent income for his/her silence. I suspect that there would be a lot of "Tooth-and-Fang" cleaning services being done. Every Wolf wants nice white shiny choppers.

As to the filling and Crown question, I suspect that they would be lost; but a Crown wouold probably fit over the Human tooth after the Were' returned to Smooth-Human shape. Fillings would be lost, but after the first Shift, they wouldn't be necessary-most likely.

That would be where the "Special" Dentist would make his/her money; providing a "clean" dental record for the Were's in his/her care.
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

haha thats a " clean " and good idea RedEye XD
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

Vuldari wrote:...that's just dodging the question.

What if the person already had lots of crowns and fillings and cavities in their teeth, and THEN got bitten and became a Werewolf. Then what?
Oh, sorry I was only thinking of born werewolves, and even then I didn't really make a good detailed point. However now that I've thought about it RedEye has a very valid one and I cant really say it any better, so good job Red.
twirrlacurl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by twirrlacurl »

Unfortuantely this all doesn't make sense to me. The whole "Matter is not destroyed or created" law conflicts with all my thinking of werewolf shifting in general. But let's say this didn't exist. It would be utterly rediculous to go to a dentist every day to get fillings re-filled. It would be easier if the everything in the body was just effected by the virus. So once the said bitten werewolf changes for the first time everything would slowly begin to heal over a length of time. Ex. All human illness would be cured, since usually werewolves don't get sick. I don't see why teeth would be any different, and slowly heal all together after a week or so.

I just dislike the idea of having to go to the denist every 2 hours becuase they wanted to go run and, oh no! the fillings all came out. I mean otherwise...that's alot of money...and pain.
Meet me on the tee, it's going down. Meet me on the green it's going down. Anywhere you meet me guaranteed its going down.