More Sickness from the Great White North

The place for anything at all...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

More Sickness from the Great White North

Post by RedEye »

Alaska has Idaho beat all the way around. In Alaska, the state government is allowing Wolves to be shot from the air...or run to exhaustion and then shot point-blank-range. They make no differention between pregnant famales and half grown pups.
Here's the Kicker: It's against the law, only nobody's enforcing it!

Here is the Site Address: Http://www.SaveWolves.com. Write! Campaign!
If you have friends in Alaska; write to them, get the local skinny, and bring it back here!
It's time we stood up for the 'Cousins' and at least registered our anger and outrage.
The State is ignoring it's own laws, as is the Federal Government! :x
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

again abslutly disgusting what these humans do... pisses me off major.. :x
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Sadly I don't..Laws don't mean anything anymore it seems..They punish the wrong people these days who have done minor things, but the people who do major crimes such as these get away with blood murder :x
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Wow this is sad.... :( how can people do this, they have no right to and it is not like the wolves are hurting anything. They don't keep livestock in Alaska, they just run free don't enter the towns or anything. :cry:

um....why don't we just merge this topic and the other wolf topic and call it wolf abuse, and people can just post stuff they find there
*nudges fig* you know you wanna 8)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I hate that aerial shooting/running to exhaustion crap.

That's not even hunting anymore. That's a shooting gallery with live targets. :x
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Now, I'm just joking... but what's the difference between one of those aircraft and a really big skeet (shotgun target)?
Damn! I don't know, either...... :lol:
This is just a joke.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Forget skeet Give me an RPG launcher or an AA gun :x (I'm not joking)
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Its against the law but no one will say anythign because do you know how much money they make off of thins like that? Thousands! People will do anything to make a buck. Now what I want to know is what kind of sick retard wants to slaughter such a rare and amazing creature and not even give it a fair shot? Thats disrespectful. People are assholes. :x
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

To salvage some degree of respect for the government agencies involved with regulation they do have to meet standard quotas as do any law enforcement agencies.

For those agencies, it can be taxing to focus on one specific thing entirely. People are out there regulating a lot of the wildlife and curbing any poaching.

It's a difficult, demanding task - Alaska is a great and vast wilderness still. And on many levels law enforcement does not have the body to fight the battle on all fronts. And there will always be poachers - that's a given - the severity is what has to be defined and curbed.

For law enforcement, it's impossible to chase a helicopter on land - by snowmobile, snowcat, truck or water let alone into remote territory where the wolfs poached would most likely located. Add the fact that, depending on what rating their flying under, they might not need to have a flight plan and ultimately that leaves law enforcement agents the great white arena of Alaska to go fishing for a possible criminal.

Adding to the problem following people, as well, is also called police harassment. If you're trying to follow a chopper even with another chopper - yeah, you're going to have an issue unless you've got some thing backing your suspicion. Otherwise it's without just cause (and no, owning a helicopter wouldn't vouch for having just cause).

Another problem with basic tactics for officials with, say, decoys in this scheme of things is that choppers can usually scare out anything actually living and decoys don't work from the air. The strategies for netting illegal activity can be pretty demanding.

In some arenas it's awful hard to police things - and sometimes you just have poor policing (either bad LEO's or not enough of them).

There's a difference - and none of us right now have enough information to tell what takes the cake.

What could possibly help is mandating a flight plan submission for VFR (Visual Flight Rating) flights in areas that have problems. It might be the key to knowing what people are up to in the sky yet at the same time that infringes upon the rights of VFR fliers - who don't have to submit a Flight Plan. Regulation and policy need to be helpfully sculpted to this issue.

The problem itself needs to be better identified - where is there pack thinning? Where are the indications of poaching coming from? How can you set up a sting operation? What do wildlife officials in charge of the wolf population have to say? What about wolf researchers (not fanatical campaigns, I'm talking biologists here) who aren't governed by the bodies that LEO's are - do they have anything to say on the issue?

These are some of many questions that need answering.

'Copter pads and locations might need to have commercial regulation and unscheduled checks (they may actually have them, I don't know). But I suppose there is regulation that can ultimately branch into it if there is a problem. Granted, the problem needs to have better proof and context prior to law, policy, and regulation being constructed.

What needs to happen is somebody needs to investigate, honestly. And not JUST for the sake of the wolf but for everything else out there that's hunted by chopper.

Someone (not a journalist or reporter - they have the attention span of about 3 whole seconds) but a good writer and investigative force as well as a legislator. Usually that someone is from another federal agency dealing with environmental issues that would deploy a middle-man to shed some the problem to achieve a better answer - and those persons are stretched pretty thin right now (I'd know, I work for one).

Once someone cues in on the problem's true nature and details then it makes it easier for something to plot and execute an operative plan with decent regard to the wildlife being poached. And it makes it easier for us to write our local officials.

Hopefully, in the face of all adversity, the wolf will ultimately keep it's re-achieved placement - even amongst it's human neighbors who seemingly dominate it's destiny.

:howl:  :oo
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Reasons like this are why I truly wish I were a werewolf, so I could fully disassociate myself with the mindless brutality-fetishists that are the human race.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Hello, People: I left the Site address for the information with my opening post. The data's there. The main problem is the way this is being done, which is against the law...and it seems that only the outsiders are the ones pointing this out. Either change the law, or stop doing what breaks it.

The most effective tool for catching either a Helicopter or a Fixed wing aircraft is a camera with a moderate telephoto lens (like the ones that come with most cameras now). First, there are readable ID numbers on the wings and fuselage. Second, most of those people paint their planes in special color schemes... So, Identifying isn't really a problem.
What is the problem is that the State itself is ignoring the law, and "looking the other way" when this happens.
And, Chaos-Wolf, all the better that you can't: You can, however, do something that makes your individual self wolf-honorable by going to the site and signing the petition. Each voice saying it's wrong is perhaps the voice that will be heard, and acted on. :)
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

RedEye - the data that I'm talking about is type-specific: Areas, locations, head counts, documentation from biologists, conservationists, wildlife management heads (such as the US Fish and Wildlife) - basic site reports and investigations across Alaska. That's information - with names, faces, and a story to tell in regards to what's happening.

Now, don't take this the wrong way - I do advocate for the wolves and other essentially esoteric feel good things (yes, they are, don't deny it). The fact is that these are issues that involve thousands of people, hundreds of thousands of acres of land, millions of dollars of tax payers money, and a species of animals well protected by thousands of people.

It's something I think needs to be more informative. Especially when pretty thick mud is being thrown just generally at the Alaskan governmental agencies and some of the greatest federal environmental agencies and organizations on the planet.

Environmental issues are complex - there are good guy's in surprising corners and bad guys who are, well, usually in lawyer suits or trying to take your money.
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

That is so disgusting! :x I cant belive those people, it makes me sick!!
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Unless a very LARGE group were to hire a lobbyist and pull various politicians to side with protecting the wolves, nothing will happen. It's always the wealthy families that can afford to do all of this. Convencing the government to spend money for your own cause has to be one of the hardest things to do in politics. The question always arises, "is it what the majority of taxpayers want?" Policing such laws in the unforgiving cold wilderness of Alaska simply MUST be extremely expensive. I even wonder if Alaska can afford it. The federal government definately can.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

:cry: This is why I really hate being human
*edit* , sometimes.
Last edited by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC wrote::cry: This is why I really hate being human
Don't you get me started on arguing with you, just don't, don't post about hating mankind, don't post about how the whole of mankind being disgusing, and don't post about how you hate being human. It just doesn't bode well with me, and I'll argue with you about it. :wink:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Humans are so pathetic.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

kitetsu wrote:Humans are so pathetic.
OH NOT YOU TOO! Just don't go there ok, if you mean some humans, I completely agree, but if you mean all I think you need to look at yourself for the problem, have you gotten to know people, have you actually known enough people to say that, yes they're all bad. What could have made your life so bad that you have given up on humanity as a whole. I pitty you if you have a life where this forum is the highest social interactment you get, but please don't say humans are pathetic, for we've done so many beautiful things, is it pethetic to love, to feel joy, to have friends? If you think that is pathetic, you're just pathetic.

-Satyricon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Fenrir, chill. Kitetsu probably only said that to mess with you.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

...if he was then that's another reason why I hate reading text, it's so hard to get the right emotion. if he was not, I do not allow myself to back down from deffending humanity from such an ignorant oppinion of humanity as a whole

-Satyricon
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Fenrir wrote:...if he was then that's another reason why I hate reading text, it's so hard to get the right emotion. if he was not, I do not allow myself to back down from deffending humanity from such an ignorant oppinion of humanity as a whole
No, you pretty much failed at guessing what i'm feeling.

Not even my friends know what goes on in my head. :)

But i'm not going to take back my word. Even if i admit that i can't do anything worth jackshit because i'm part of a minority, i still don't see anyone strong enough to stay in the middle and physically do something about it to turn the tables for the better, taking advantage of the equal number of opportunities that come at issues such as this one.

If the situation continues to become a battle of polar opposites, from the way i see it, then both sides will eventually be responsible for creating an unstoppable hurricane of crap that's gonna stain ourselves more and more.

No matter what you do, only I get to sway my own opinions.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

wow, that's sad. I hate when someone gives up on themselves. I don't know what has happened to you that would cause you to die in such a way, but you have my pitty :(

-Satyricon
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

Fenrir wrote:
Don't you get me started on arguing with you, just don't, don't post about hating mankind, don't post about how the whole of mankind being disgusing, and don't post about how you hate being human. It just doesn't bode well with me, and I'll argue with you about it. :wink:
Sorry, I forgt to type in sometimes. Because just like with every other race we have our good things and our bad.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Sorry, I forgt to type in sometimes. Because just like with every other race we have our good things and our bad.

dont sweat it Star.. your a cool guy :)