Total votes: 26

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Are therians considered weres?

Post by Morkulv »

Just curious. Do you think that therians are considered weres?

According to otherkin-believes they are. Personally I wouldn't have any problem with it, but it depends on what your vision on weres is.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

i dont know really... im a therian but i dont think of myself as a "were" i dont feel like i shift but i do feel "phantom limbs or extra apendages" from time to time i.e. my tail or my fangs or my ears. i guess i feel that the only time i go to my true form as a wolf as far as looks go is when i pass out of this human body that im in. other than that, as far as personlity goes, i feel im a wolf 24/7

:)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Most 'regular' people see basically all were's as shifters, so in that way therians wouldn't be were's. I personally don't really agree with that much.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I consider myself a were. I hate the word therian. It sounds like a mental patient. Id rather call myself werewolf and be associated with evil beasts that can shapeshift then call myslef therian and be associated with some of the so called therians you find on the net who are dragon-horse-wolf- cats and have no actual real idenity for themselves. :P :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

It's fun to think of myself as a were, but I guess it all boils down to your definition of "were". I still think of weres pretty much as physical shifters, so under that definition, then no, I am not. But if you consider a were to be someone who shifts(any kind of shifting like mental or perception)between human and animal, then yes, we would be.(yes, I know contherians don't shift, but I still cosider them shifters)
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Oh I like this topic lol :jester:

Yes I do believe a therians should be considered as were especially if one can truly feel their animal side an others can see this as well including were's themselves. Therians to me are were's that have not learned to shift yet..To me it is like an awakening when one has mastered the shift an can take their true form. To feel the inner were inside is enough to say your a were like me. Granted if your talking to a werewolf or were creature..It's something that if u feel it you'll know it :howl:  :oo :jester:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise

Post by Kaebora »

If I were to speak realistically, none of us are "weres". We are human. However, our imaginations can let us breifly beleive otherwise. Therians take it much more literally, and see themselves existing with their animal on a spiritual level. (That is, if I have interpreted the nature of a therian accurately.) Then again, what do I think I'm talking about?

Do I have to put the ducky on the wolf's head again?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

If you go by the origin of "were" as in this example:

Werewolf = man + wolf, literally "man-wolf"

Then yes.

If you consider the word to mean "shifter", then yes.

If you go by a definition of "physically changes form into something else" then no.

Most people do use were as a synonym for therian, but less often now than they used to. Certain members of the therian community didn't like the use of "were" because of the hollywood image of a mindless snarling beast it normally brings to mind. They didn't want themselves linked to the creatures you see in cheesy horror flicks.

I personally am not overly fond of the word "therian".
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I consider myself both becuase both mean the same thing to me....in a way. They both mean wolf. What am I? A wolf. Therefore, I am both :D
....that was confusing....
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Alright, I admit it... I don't believe in therianthropy. However, from what I understand from what I've read by people who do, it sounds nothing like the word werewolf's original meaning, and I think that the original meaning of a word is important, so I say no.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

I consider myself a therian, depending what u read therian and the word were go hand and hand. Although i have experienced intermintent dream shifts and the occasional mental shift I wouldn't care if someone referred to me as a were so honestly either way it doesn't matter. But first and foremost i am a therian.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

i guess after thinking about it a bit they are in a way the same and i do think of it someties so yeah i guess i am both.... well definately a therian thats for damn sure... but also a bit of a were.. :D :howl:  :oo
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

*agrees with Darth Canis*
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

MoonKit wrote:I consider myself a were. I hate the word therian. It sounds like a mental patient. Id rather call myself werewolf and be associated with evil beasts that can shapeshift then call myslef therian and be associated with some of the so called therians you find on the net who are dragon-horse-wolf- cats and have no actual real idenity for themselves. :P :D
Hmm, I gotta agree with you. :D
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

I also have to agree with moonkit the "poly-weres or poly therians" confuse me a little.... I sometimes question my belief in the otherkin thing as well but hey who am I do judge right. I mean I believe my soul is animal so yeahs lol. But yes moonkit I think they don't have a real sense of idenity or they are just pretending to be something they aren't. If you disagree and you are a poly were or whatever hey that is cool. Just the way i see it is all.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
wolfman1991
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfman1991 »

White Paw wrote:i dont know really... im a therian but i dont think of myself as a "were" i dont feel like i shift but i do feel "phantom limbs or extra apendages" from time to time i.e. my tail or my fangs or my ears. i guess i feel that the only time i go to my true form as a wolf as far as looks go is when i pass out of this human body that im in. other than that, as far as personlity goes, i feel im a wolf 24/7

Same thing goes on with me. No actual shifting. Plenty of mental shifting tho....i have tons of dreams involving me in a pack
I feel a wolf...a wolf growing inside me....getting stronger day by day.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Try this, it might help

I would go with YES. Therianthropes are were's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therianthropy
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

wolfman1991 wrote:
White Paw wrote:i dont know really... im a therian but i dont think of myself as a "were" i dont feel like i shift but i do feel "phantom limbs or extra apendages" from time to time i.e. my tail or my fangs or my ears. i guess i feel that the only time i go to my true form as a wolf as far as looks go is when i pass out of this human body that im in. other than that, as far as personlity goes, i feel im a wolf 24/7

Same thing goes on with me. No actual shifting. Plenty of mental shifting tho....i have tons of dreams involving me in a pack
ditto
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

It depends on what you mean. ...though I answered NO...

It is true that there are alot of Therians who call, or have called themselves "Weres" for years...but as far as I'm concerned, that is a completely different meaning to the word, and ultimately a different word entirely from the one it is based off of. ("WereWolf")

The construction of the word "Werewolf" is essentially just saying "Wolf Man" in German (or whatever language that is), which can be interpreted as simply a creature that is both "Man" and "Wolf".

However, when the word was originally used, it was applied as the name for the creatures that are Humans that physically fully transform into the body of a Wolf and back again.

Therians are not those creatures. ...they are a completely different phenomenon, and a group that has chosen to refer to themselves by the same base word, inspired by the legends of said creatures, but with a different meaning.

If I start a club, and call it "The Marines"...then as a member, I could truthfully say that "I am a Marine" ... but that would not make me the same kind of Marine that has been through years of training with the US Military. ...merely someone else who calls themself the same thing.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Heh heh, not a bad analogy.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Perhaps Therians are just shift-challenged Were's. :)

Please don't hate me, Vuldari...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

RedEye wrote: Please don't hate me, Vuldari...
I don't hate anyone for having ambitious and creative dreams...I just prefer that they maintain a firm grip on reality.

...fewer failed "Leaps of Faith" and Shattered Dreams that way...

On that subject though...I think that a Therian that is a Therian based off of the physical heritage of being a Werewolf that can not shift would be a different meaning and interpretation of the word "Therian".

A physical Therian is different from a spiritual Therian ... is different from a shapeshifting Were ... is different from a Spiritual Were, which is the Same as a Spiritual Therian.

...or something like that...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Reality is over-rated. ;)
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

I couldn't agree more... *nods*
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

PariahPoet wrote:Reality is over-rated. ;)
_0_

:D