Ahhh, the sorted issue of gender.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

outwarddoodles wrote:
Wouldn't a werewolf's regenerative powers take care of this sensitive problem?
Why in the world would the sperm and eggs have to change during shifts? And if somehow that happened its posible they become sterile.
Um, what gives you the idea that shifting shapes destroys one's fertility?
Who said that the eggs and sperm change, even?
You do realize that our ability to produce gametes can not be lost through mere physical trauma, unless the trauma is so great so as to destroy the gonads, right?
Furthermore, with males, at least, they produce thousands upon thousands of sperm, on a monthly basis, and replenish their stores regularly.
Females, on the other hand, have, in comparison, a limited store of eggs (1 million eggs versus 64 kajillion sperm). On the other hand, an egg in the ovary will not die, so long as it continues to be nourished by its nurse cells, and recieves a steady supply of estrogen. And as far as I can tell, female werewolves have plenty of estrogen.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've generally assumed that werewolves were on a cytological level homologous shape-shifters. In plain English, that means that cell types do not change between forms; they just elongate, stretch, and in the case of places like the tail, rapidly multiply or die off. (I suppose some stem cells could migrate from sacral pockets to help form the tail.)

Gametes and gonads are a fairly minor problem compared to things like teeth and bones. Sterility could be a useful plot device for some, if you want a Highlander-like "how sad (or glad) that I can't have kids." But, it's not a requisite conclusion.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I thought that shifting would change the sperm/eggs of the WW. In gestalt form they got gestalt sperm/eggs; wolf form=wolf sperm/eggs. I'd think they would stay reasonably fertal as well. If two WW's in full-wolf form got it on and stayed in that form during pregnacy, chances are you'll get a wolf pup(s). Not a human baby. :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:I thought that shifting would change the sperm/eggs of the WW. In gestalt form they got gestalt sperm/eggs; wolf form=wolf sperm/eggs. I'd think they would stay reasonably fertal as well. If two WW's in full-wolf form got it on and stayed in that form during pregnacy, chances are you'll get a wolf pup(s). Not a human baby. :lol:

:o The things in people's mind these days. :lol:
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

They started it! :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:They started it! :P
Try having that type of conversation at the dinner table. :lol:

Or with people that are not into werewolves. :roflmao:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

"you know, i was just htinking about the complexities of weewolf mating the other day, and..."

dosn't work. :lol:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Silverclaw wrote:I thought that shifting would change the sperm/eggs of the WW. In gestalt form they got gestalt sperm/eggs; wolf form=wolf sperm/eggs. I'd think they would stay reasonably fertal as well. If two WW's in full-wolf form got it on and stayed in that form during pregnacy, chances are you'll get a wolf pup(s). Not a human baby. :lol:
I strongly doubt that the gametes of a werewolf would "change" kind as their owners change shape.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
I strongly doubt that the gametes of a werewolf would "change" kind as their owners change shape.

It sounds odd to have the gametes of a werewolf "change" kind when the werewolf shifts.

The silly things people come up with these days!!

*starts climbing up the wall*
Last edited by Figarou on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Figarou wrote:
*shoots Fig down* :cyborg3:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote:
Figarou wrote:
*shoots Fig down* :cyborg3:

*falls*

Hey, now why you have to go and do that for?

I was going to change that light bulb while I was up there. :lol:
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Figarou wrote:I was going to change that light bulb while I was up there. :lol:
Let Spider-Man do it. :P
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

or 5 therians :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:or 5 therians :P
one to hold the light bulb while 4 turns the ladder. :lol:

oh, I'm going to be pelted by duckies for sure!!!
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

yep. :Duckietoss:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:yep. :Duckietoss:

I think not!! :missed:

:P
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:knockedout: :lol:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

These icons are going to back fire you know? Apparently before we know it they'll be exessive and unnessesary throwing. And quite frankly when your proven wrong do you want someone to add to it and throw a duckie? Unless its plainly stupid.

Yet the new smiles are adorable.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:These icons are going to back fire you know? Apparently before we know it they'll be exessive and unnessesary throwing. And quite frankly when your proven wrong do you want someone to add to it and throw a duckie? Unless its plainly stupid.

Yet the new smiles are adorable.

confucius say "Toss explosive duckie before it blows up. Not after."

:D
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Gawd. Ya see? I can't mention anything of thought without having a duckie thrown or having a joke cracked.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:confucius say "Toss explosive duckie before it blows up. Not after."
Figarou == Confucius?

-- Vilkacis

Confucius say, "Man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

shadowblaze say; shut up and get back on topic, darn it! :evil:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because

"Just make it stop mommy, please make it stop..."

It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because It's the topic that never ends, it just on and on my friends, some people began discussing it not knowing what was, and they'll keep on discussing it just because

"AIIIIIEEE!"
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Gawd. Ya see? I can't mention anything of thought without having a duckie thrown or having a joke cracked.

:roflmao:
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Ahhh, the sorted issue of gender.

Bah. There was a good description on the Were-Artists Guild's site, but I think Jakkal took that site down a while ago. At least, I haven't been able to find it recently.
:(

Anyway, here are my thoughts, but influenced by that article:

Digitigrade is pointless unless the werewolf can run on all fours, so the structure of the werewolf should be such to facilitate running in such a manner. Thus, females shouldn't have floppy breasts, but they should be held closely to the body. Also, males wouldn't be all dangly, but should have a sheath. As far as the movie goes, plenty of hair down below is acceptable.

I do not think either would be sterile, especially given the regenerative capabilities we have agreed upon.

I also like much of what Jamie described earlier:
Females more graceful
Males with more upper-body mass, thicker neck, heavier neck-manes
Nipples hidden by fur
The hair on the hind legs

-- Vilkacis