Ahhh, the sorted issue of gender.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahhh, the sorted issue of gender.

Post by Calypso Blue »

Alright folks, this is the one that many of you have been waiting for.

What should be (if any) visible distinctions between male and female werewolves.

What gender specific elements (you know what I mean) Might be present on a two footed werewolf, both for males and females.

Believe me this is one that is going round and round and round right now. They'ed prefer not to have androgenous werewolves just because if you see something that should be, (and ISNT) there, they feel its more distracting than having at least (something) there even if its fur covered. And also they don't want to have to worry about having to shoot around certain areas. i.e. shooting around gender specific areas to avoid the topic altogether.

Hit it!

CB :D
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

When it comes to males, the only bit one has to really worry about is the, er, bits. Also reffered to as the sheath.

In the males case, fur should cover most everything, though if you REALLY want to avoid the subject, and keep the rating, pg-13 or so I would suggest using clothes. I just cannot think of anything that'd, garanteee avoiding the subject.

Females, should be smaller then the males, and of course should be shaped a bit more like human females. In thier case, the only thing you'll have to worry about is the, er, *cough* breasts *cough.*

Now realistically, there should only be 1 set of human styled breasts and the rest should be the same sort ordinary house-hold dogs have. Simply put, breasts on human females are only so distinctive because humans are one of the few creatures that walk upright and face our intimate other when, er, hanky-panky-ing.

You see, breasts mimic the curvature of the butt, which for most animals is used to attract mates. Assuming that werewolves, can do things the way humans can, the females should be built similerly up top.

As for modesty, due to the fairly thick layer of fur, it'd be almost inconcievable to me that the, er, nipples, would be visable. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Okay, I 've reached my blushing qouta for the day. So I better stop this here, I hope this is helpful.
Last edited by WolvenOne on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

:lol: hahaha WolvenOne
Anyway, yes ...hmm well males would have the sheath and thick fur, unless something of their trousers (pants to the yanks) was left on where as with females, as you pointed out we have the breasts to think about, though with fur, it tends to cover most things from view so aside from the shape there wouldn't be a lot on show to begin with,.
*When you're down... howl*
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

I *was* starting to wonder when this issue would arise.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that people that are disappointed because the werewolves are lacking the proper Bits are spending too much time obsessing over minutae and not enough time enjoying the movie. The werewolf's gender might be an issue to someone who is trying to figure out who in town is the were, but that's about it. If that's a part of the storyline, then including the sheath in males and pretty much nothing in females might be wise, if done tastefully. If it's not an issue, though, I'd just leave it all out and save myself the bother.
Lurch
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Lurch »

Hmm, this is kind of a tough one.

Femeales: Small human type breasts, slightly smaller frame than the male. Perhaps more feminine facial features to help distinguish when a whole body shot is not possible. (Thinner neck, thinner muzzle, pretty eyes :wink: etc.)

Males: Canine shaped contour visible under fur for the genetal region. Defenite masculine chest and shoulders, a stockier overall look. Think of comparing a wolf to a fox, but not quite that dramatic.

Realistically these parts should be there. It is distracting to see film that lacks beliveably shaped creatures no matter the species.
"If you love someone, set them free" - Gordon Sumner
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Well, I knew this topic would come up eventually. My feelings are overall on par with everyone else. The males should be built like a male and have extra fur down by his loins to cover the sheath. Also, in my drawings, I like to give my male werewolves a large fur mane around their neck that goes down their back like long flowing hair. Gives the werewolf sex appear and thus, becomes more likable. (remember the van helsing werewolf)

For females, they should have two breasts like human females do. However, the breasts will be covered in a thin layer of fur just enough not to see the nipples. Female werewolves also have other small teats below the two main ones. However, since they are covered in fur (depends on how much fur is on the belly), they are almost never seen.

I'll whip up some quick 5 minute sketches later on tonight if I have time to illustrate what I mean by this.

Post by Guest »

Females should be a bit more dainty and slimmer than the more muscular males. Also you should be able to slightly see the line of flat nipples on the chest though only the first two are raised a bit like human breasts (the others are flat like a non lactating dog/wolf). Male werewolves should have more fur around the "bits" just to make it obvious there's something there to hide lol
Darksong17
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Darksong17 »

Ugh. The guest post was mine
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

I am going to have to go with the crowd here. Cover the naughty bits with fur. Make the females smaller than males and put two up top, tastefully covered.

Although as I stated in an earlier post, I personally would hate to see very defined muscles. Their fur would definitely be long enough to cover a six pack or bulging biceps.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I also think that female werewolves should have 2 human breasts but covered with fur so no nipples pop through or anything. I personally dont feel that mulpiple nipples are really needed. They would not be seen anyway, unless their is a pregnat/ recently-gave-birth werewolf. Smaller bodies than males and slimer shaped.

The males should have thicker fur "down there". Though I am not sure if the males are more 'human style' or 'wolf style' when it comes to that. Just cover with fur. It would make more sense if a male werewolf has mostly human bits because they walk on two legs a lot.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ShadowFang wrote:
I'll whip up some quick 5 minute sketches later on tonight if I have time to illustrate what I mean by this.

This I gotta see!! :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

First and foremost, like everyone already said, they need to have gender-specific 'equipment,' though it wouldn't necessarily need to be highlighted that much. You wouldn't actually need to see anything below the belt to distinguish gender though, assuming that female werewolves are more slender in form so that their breasts are evident under their fur, and a male werewolf's chest would be equally proportionate to the rest of his body. Height could also play a factor in distinguishment, as many others have already described.

Another key difference may be the length of their fur. Men naturally tend to be harrier than women, both on the genetic factor and the cultural factor, so it could be that when a werewolf changes shape, any fur s/he gains would grow out of the already existing human folacles(sp?). Therefore, assuming all wolf hairs grew to the same length, any that had already grown out some would appear longer than the rest, so any areas where the human form had hair would be evident as... For lack of a better term, shaggy patterns on the werewolf's form. A typical male werewolf, for example, would have a furry loincloth, coarser leg fur and V-shaped tufts of fur on their chest. Also, by that description it could also be that, unless it was previously cut short, a werewolf's hair style would carry over from one form to the other. The fur might change color during the transformation, but if grown out long or artificially colored, for example, that would carry over to their werewolf form (and it could therefore maybe be an unspoken rule among werewolves that you shouldn't stylize your hair so much so that, in the unfortunate event that you are seen in werewolf form by a monster hunter, they will not have any features to recongize you by in your human form. Remember the she-wolf in Cybersix with the long flaming-red hair? Major give-away).

Another thing you could use to distinguish would be the size of their teeth. The difference isn't all that drastic between men and women, but people tend to think of big teeth as being masculine and white teeth as being feminine (not always true, but that's what people think a lot).

The biggest thing of all, I think, would be the werewolf's body language; the balance of brawn and grace.

Post by Guest »

There are other features that determine the gender, I'm suprised that no one mentioned this.

HIPS, wide hips and a slender waist for a woman.

Now, depending on what type of movie this will be, there are many things that can be done. If this is R rated, then there is no need to hide anything completely, just with enough fur so that we can't see everything clearly. This becomes more of an issue if there is supposed to be a sex scene, ala The Howling. Would you show then connected, would they be transforming while making love?

One thing that has always bothered me in the movies, and I sincerely hope that this will not be the case in this movie, whatever it is, is that the werewolves do not look appealing. Let me clarify, so that there is no confusion....

If you IMAGINE yourself to be a male werewolf, would you be attracted to a female that looked like the the one in AWIP, or would you prefer one that had more human, FEMANINE qualities: wide hips, visible breasts. buttocks, LONG hair, and eyelashes? The same thing can be argued vice versa, for a female to a male.

This also depends on the direction of the story. Will the werewolves when transformed be feral, and unaware of their human conscience, or will they be able to think like a rational human, save for having urges to eat food in the forest? If they are feral, then it doesn't matter, but if they can reason rationally as a human, then it would make a difference if they wanted to mate together, since they would think like a human, they would want their mate to be appealing to them as a human would be of the opposite sex.

This is just food for thought. I don't expect anyone to take this into consideration. And I don't know the budget of this movie, so I don't know if they would be even able to implement any of these ideas discussed in these forums.

Truthely I can't say anything concrete, until I know what this movies about. I haven't read anything concerning what movie this is or if it is based on any written book. I am hoping that the comments I have outlined above would be crossed upon by the designers of the werewolves for the movie Blood and Chocolate, as I have mentioned such ideas on other message boards. But I don't know if they would ask anyone about that. Regardless. If the FX department wants input from artists and fans about how werewolves should look, I am very gratefull that they have established this avenue of communication between them.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

since they would think like a human, they would want their mate to be appealing to them as a human would be of the opposite sex.
You're not completly off base here, however, a werewolf wouldn't think like a human or a wolf, especially while in thier transformed states. They're a mish-mash of human intellect and instinct, and wolf cunning and instinct.

Wolves obviously find thier intimate others attractive. I don't know exactly what features they look for I'm afraid to say. However it makes sense that werewolves would find those features attractive, as well as the human female features that normal male humans look for.

So, say for example, wolves find, big fluffy tails attractive, and as a human, a werewolf found a well shaped butt attractive. To that werewolf, a female werewolf with a shaply butt and a big fluffy tail would be, a tottally drop dead drool worthy babe.

Again though, I should reiterate, I don't know what wolves look for in thier, intimate others.
Think-Harder

Post by Think-Harder »

There is another thing that hasn't been discussed, the length of the muzzle. to show more female characteristics, the females could be shorter. If the werewolves of this story are rationale, and have transformed multiple times throughout their lives, then it is possible that they may have more control of their transformation of body parts, including their face.

I don't know the rating of this movie, or whether it will be a horror or drama/thriller ala Jack Nicholson's Wolf. But if there were a love scene, It would be easier for both mates to kiss if their muzzles dissappeard, leaving only their dog noses. Though this is trivial, since I have seen pictures of two werewolves kissing with long muzzles.

I usually commission an artist called She-Giant artist. He does realistic porportions for females, If you would like to see some art that he has done for female werewolves. then head over to these Yahoo groups if you are interested: I will post pictures from the groups at another site that does not require membership, but for now here are the links:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/femaletfmorphs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/femaletfmorphs2
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/femaletfmorphs3
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/femaletfmorphs4

all his images are comic book style, he uses several aliases, but his work as listed as commissions in the files section of each group. I hope this helps the FX crew with inspiration.

The forth group has a five part commission of a werefox, which is similar to a werewolf. Check it out if you're interested.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

If the werewolves of this story are rationale, and have transformed multiple times throughout their lives, then it is possible that they may have more control of their transformation of body parts, including their face.
Uh, I would think not, I think that'd fall into the "too much of a perk," catagory. Simply put, it'd make a werewolves life too easy to be able to shift certain parts of thier body individually without shifting the rest.

Besides, even though people are talking about, not, shifting only on full moons, they don't seem to be going for the idea of making the shifting easily controllable.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

I just think the female werewolf should be slightly smaller, harldy a noticable difference. Well, i suppose you WANT a difference.

Just please, dear god (or director or whomever) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make the she-wolf have breasts. As a female, I find it offensive to have breasts on a female werewolf. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps because breasts get in the way, and it seems too anthropomorphic or whatever that word is.

Of course, i'm probably in the minority here because I think that. Of course, I'm probably one of only a handful of females here.

8)
~Snowy
miz

Post by miz »

f women becoming a werewolf has bigger dimensions and expanded muscle definition, shouldn't her breasts also have some increase in dimension as welll?
I guess it really depends on how much of a hybrid the werewolf is, but everything about the person becomes larger as werewolves are supposed to be monster types, intimidating and the like.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Just please, dear god (or director or whomever) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make the she-wolf have breasts. As a female, I find it offensive to have breasts on a female werewolf.
Actually I find this quite interesting and I'd like to poke at this a bit more. Why exactly do you feel that a female werewolf having, er, breasts would be offensive?

Nobody is talking about having these, er, things bare and open to the audience, they'd be covered by fur so it'd look alot like somebody wearing a skin-tight sweater I'd imagine. They don't have to be huge like I heard another person suggest. I don't think that they shouldn't be flaunted or anything, instead they should simply, exist, simply because I think it'd be realistic.

So, I'm just sorta, curious as to why it'd be offensive. Even though I really don't understand psychology and such too well, I do find peoples emotions to be interesting. So I very much would like to understand this.

So, if you don't mind me asking, could you tell me what emotions you feel when you think of a werewolf having, er, breasts?
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

First off, I imagine werewolves as having no gender. Period. Of course, that's my own image of them.

Second: It might be that mine are soo large that I would hate to have them if I were to change into a werewolf. And then second it might be because I would feel inferior having such a noticibal" difference with a male of the "speciies". Perhaps I have an inferiority complex. Or, perhaps it's because I'm a tomboy and I hate everything girlish about me? *shrug*.

Maybe offensive was too strong a word. It's not that so much as just a total dislike?! And then, maybe it seems too "fury" to me. Now, if this is SUPPOSED to be a fury movie, then go ahead and give them breasts, but if this is a werewolf film, then please let's not even think about naughty bits. The more human you put into it, the more it's just like a hairy person! I want my werewolf to be lupine! If a real female wolf can get away without having huge breasts hanging off her midsection, then i'd like a werewolf to get away with the same thing! (unless she was pregnant and then I can see how SOMETHING would be dangling, but nothing like human breasts).

I hope that might explain what I meant, but i bet it' probably just made it more confusing.

~Snowy
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

First off, I imagine werewolves as having no gender. Period. Of course, that's my own image of them.
Well that doesn't really work I'm afraid , even normal wolves have, fairly obvious differences between male and female. Realistically there are going to be gender differences between werewolf males and females.

That being said, you do have a point about larger, er, breasts making it difficult to really romp through the woods at high speeds. I've heard similer complaints on that front more then once from female friends of mine.

Realistically, werewolf females should have, er breasts. Realistically, I would think werewolf females would be preportionally equal in size in either form, however, for purposes of fast movment, smaller sized chests would be easier to handle, much like they are for human females.

So we're caught between two different options, realism, and idealism. Well, that and I don't think the movie makers would be too keen on the idea of female werewolves wearing sports-bra's.

Post by Guest »

Just my opinion... but all the werewolf movies ive seen involve knashing power hungry...slobbery fighting and evil... I hope someday animated or just generated with pictures... I werewolf movie is made involving something less of those generes of werewolfs being fiersom beats, slaughering, fighting and knashing... or sex crazed, or fearson over all.. Yeah ill probly get frowned at this but I hope someday to see a werewolf movie dipicting werewolves as inteligent beings... sociable to each other...and other beings... loving... caring... types... and what its like for a male and female couple as they go through life as were wolfs...hiding themselves when the moon is full or when they transform... and joining other groups...staying away from humans to avoid the world from knowing thier existance... Though I should be posting this elsewhere... sorry all, just my rusty two pennies worth. :?
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

I can see SnowWalker?s point they would be unhandy if large. Also there is the fact that wolves only come into esterase once a year and only for about a month if that. So either gender?s equipment is mute point if it isn?t January-February anyway.

I gather that the forum was leaning towards smaller as opposed to larger anyway. Just enough to distinguish, small enough not to be a hindrance.

Female werewolves would likely be at an advantage because of their body size. Larger isn?t always better. Female wolves are accredited for being superior to males in their hunting prowess because their smaller bodies are more maneuverable. And when it is that ?time of the year? the Alpha Female is definitely the one calling the shots.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Treads Lightly wrote: Female werewolves would likely be at an advantage because of their body size. Larger isn?t always better. Female wolves are accredited for being superior to males in their hunting prowess because their smaller bodies are more maneuverable. And when it is that ?time of the year? the Alpha Female is definitely the one calling the shots.
With a lot the fans' opinions here, unfortunately, I find it hard to imagine females being more maneuverable if they have the equivolent of small watermelons strapped to their chests.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I can see SnowWalker?s point they would be unhandy if large. Also there is the fact that wolves only come into esterase once a year and only for about a month if that. So either gender?s equipment is mute point if it isn?t January-February anyway.
Wolves may only come into heat once a year, however, humans can and will get intimate at anytime of the year. Since wolves spend most of thier time in human form, I would think that they wouldn't follow the same yearly biological cycles that wolves do, so I imagine that wolves either wouldn't have periods of heat, or, that they won't necceserilly only get intimate with eachother during that period of time.

As somebody else said though, female werewolves wouldn't be very manuverable with watermelons strapped to thier chests, and by no means do I think that'd be a good idea. Very few humans have, er, endowments, that large, so I don't see why a Werewolf woman would.

I personally would think that a female werewolf in her transformed state would be about the same up top as she would be as a human. However, I imagine thier arms would be a bit more musculer and they may be slightly larger over-all, so unless they're growing uptop preportionally to the rest of the body, thier, er, breasts, would likely appear smaller.

Gadzooks I hope we finish up this topic soon! It's so emberessing.