Werewolves and saliva

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Werewolves and saliva

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmm.....I don't remember this mentioned at all.

I was wondering if we are going to see the werewolf drool all over the place when in Gestalt form. I'm not saying I want to see it or that I don't want to see it. Just wondering.

The 1st werewolf in Van Helsing had saliva pouring out of its mouth. I'm not sure why. Maybe hollywood thinks it looks cool to see a werewolf slobber all over the place. I didn't notice the 3rd werewolf slobbering at all.

What do you guys think of it?
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I think drool might be appropriate if there is, say, a meat-lovers pizza in the near vicinity.

However, I favor the view of an intelligent, in-control werewolf, and I just can't support the idea of excessive drooling.

-- Vilkacis
Ozone Grif
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Ozone Grif »

To me, a werewolf drools only when he's in berseker, lost control, rage, whatever. Basically : if he controls himself, there is no reasons he drools. And true, in Van Hellsing, he was showering :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ozone Grif wrote:And true, in Van Hellsing, he was showering :lol:

Thats why I brought this up. I know dogs foam at the mouth from excessive barking and growling. That 1st werewolf in Van Helsing wasn't doing that.

Vilkacis wrote:I think drool might be appropriate if there is, say, a meat-lovers pizza in the near vicinity.

-- Vilkacis

lck Pizza!!!!
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

Ozone Grif wrote:To me, a werewolf drools only when he's in berseker, lost control, rage, whatever. :lol:
I totally agree. But also, smaller amounts of drool are appropriate when a werewolf is stalking prey.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

First of all, werewolves would naturally salivate, so at the very least they could drool. However, werewolves have predominantly human mentalities so, as Ozone said, they would most often be conscious to control themselves from drooling.

Most likely sign of drool would be, as stated, when a werewolf loses his temper, or at the very least is preoccupied with something that requires too much focus for him/her to maintain a civil image.

Second most likely sighting would be when a werewolf is tired after a long fight or a long run, and might not give a crap if any of their pack members see them panting or not. Again, a situation where they'd have more important things on their mind than their image.

Last possibility I could think of would be the unlikely event of a werewolf and human engaging in what you could refer to as mouthplay, or more accurately, licking and love-biting. If there ever arose a moment where a werewolf thought such was a good idea (most likely as a result of boredom), any part of their counterpart's body that came in contact with the werewolf's mouth or tongue would likely glisten under a light until either someone gave them a napkin, or until they got even by towelling off with said werewolf's tail.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

The drool does look cool when done correctly, but it certainly matters.

I think the werewolf will ALWAYS have a little saliva, or else their mouth would be all dry. Yet when they obsessivly drool it gives to much of a 'monster' or less cival and uncontrollible look.

I think a werewolf should only drool alittle when concetrating or taking a snooze. (Which is what I do alot) Or when theres food around, but not that much drool. Times for there to be more drool may only be in a big fir or rage. I don't think they would obsessivly drool while running or barking, instead their mouth would be dreid out from that.

I don't wanna have napkins or thinking of them as Saint Bernards.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

:o

in most movies the werewolf drool a lot, but its good if someone doesnt do as everybody else do.

Drool doesnt look good. It gives a icky look
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

NO drool. There's no real reason for them to drool anyway.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

outwarddoodles wrote:I think the werewolf will ALWAYS have a little saliva, or else their mouth would be all dry. Yet when they obsessivly drool it gives to much of a 'monster' or less cival and uncontrollible look.
*nod-nods* Of course they would salivate, but as said before, the human part of their mentality would have the werewolf keep his mouth shut. They might have the occassional dribble, but I doubt it would ever come down in strands like in those cheesy horror flicks. Whenever they do, it would in most cases be minimal enough that the audience would only be aware of it when the werewolf licks his lips (I'm assuming he wouldn't use his sleeve like humans tend to do, seeing as he wouldn't have one).
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Whenever they do, it would in most cases be minimal enough that the audience would only be aware of it when the werewolf licks his lips (I'm assuming he wouldn't use his sleeve like humans tend to do, seeing as he wouldn't have one).
Oh they'll just use someone else's sleeve.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I agree with what everybody else is basicly saying. Werewolves would only drool after a long run, a fight, or sleeping with their mouths open :D Their is always saliva in the mouth though, like humans. Werewolves may be panting but stop and swallow their spit every once in a while if they care.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Mm hmm. So basically, drool wouldn't be part of the werewolf model -- just apparent whenever appropriate.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Werewolves would only drool after a long run, a fight, or sleeping with their mouths open
After a fight or run my mouth is usally dry. Yet I sappose thats my mouth.
Mm hmm. So basically, drool wouldn't be part of the werewolf model -- just apparent whenever appropriate.
Yep, I'd say so too.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

That's because we breathe throught our mouths easily, and the movement of air encourages evaporation.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Infectious slobber

Post by Scott Gardener »

The drooling werewolf is more crap we don't want to see. Wolves don't drool, though in infinite human wisdom, we've bred them into dogs that do for no good reason. Most humans stop drooling at the age of three, except when daydreaming about Angelina Jolie or David Duchovney.

Maybe the drool is an attempt to capitalize on the infectious saliva idea; seeing the stuff that could rob you of your humanity and turn you into another slavering monster is supposed to create a sense of fright. The problem is, their target audience is abberant people like us who daydream about getting turned, in lieu of the above mentioned celebrity of gender preference.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:lol: don't forget drooling over motorcycles.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

And I assume that the saliva itself doesnt carry the virus. Its all the blood from shifting teeth/mouth that gathers in the saliva correct? Guess if they shifted and used some Scoop, humans would be safe enough from infection. :)
Same with claws I guess. It they fought with another WW and had blood on their claws then cut a human, that would infect.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Silverclaw wrote:And I assume that the saliva itself doesnt carry the virus. Its all the blood from shifting teeth/mouth that gathers in the saliva correct? Guess if they shifted and used some Scoop, humans would be safe enough from infection. :)
Same with claws I guess. It they fought with another WW and had blood on their claws then cut a human, that would infect.
Given as how werewolves are famous/infamous for their ability to infect humans WITH THEIR BITES, I'm thinking that werewolves have the virus, or whateversort of infectious agent of lycanthropy, in their saliva.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Silverclaw wrote:And I assume that the saliva itself doesnt carry the virus. Its all the blood from shifting teeth/mouth that gathers in the saliva correct? Guess if they shifted and used some Scoop, humans would be safe enough from infection. :)
Given as how werewolves are famous/infamous for their ability to infect humans WITH THEIR BITES, I'm thinking that werewolves have the virus, or whateversort of infectious agent of lycanthropy, in their saliva.

That infectious agent is their blood mixed with saliva. The gums bleed just a tad bit when the fangs extend. Same goes for the claws.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:That infectious agent is their blood mixed with saliva. The gums bleed just a tad bit when the fangs extend. Same goes for the claws.
*nod-nods* That's what we're going with -- that the gums bleed during the shift.

And special kudos to Figarou for being the first here to accurately explain why a werewolf scratch would cause infection as well. :wink: It's the same idea -- his nails grow out and get a little bloody. It just might not be as likely a method of infection since the blood on his fingers would clot, dry and/or soak into his fur as opposed to lingering in his saliva.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
And special kudos to Figarou for being the first here to accurately explain why a werewolf scratch would cause infection as well. :wink:

Aw shucks!! *blushes*

Anybody could have said that.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Aw shucks!! *blushes*

Anybody could have said that
*cough cough* Suck up.

It was a very good explamatin though. :D
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

*looks up* Oops, I quoted myself in my own post. :? :P
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:P It's easier than rewriting...