What are your thoughts on how a werewolf would fight.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Werewolf fighting...

Post by Vuldari »

Eridani wrote:Take an example from the Flood from the Halo series. Werewolves have been characterized to be able to leap long distances. Also, vital points of an enemy or prey have been pre-programed into feral wolves' instinct. Basically, the first to seriously damage those will be the winner.
I don't want to see werewolves jump like the "Flood" from Halo, (I hated the Flood. I thought they were the most annoying part of the game. The Covenant were much more satisfying targets...and they stayed dead when you killled them.), or even Like the Werewolves in Van Hellsing. (I loved the appearance of the Werewolves in VH...that's all. Their portrayal and pretty much every thing else about the movie was very dissapointing.Image).

My suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far, and Werewolves that can jump 30 feet into the air is too much.

IMHO...of course.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I imagine, due to the digitigrade nature of the legs, that a werewolf would likely be able to jump somewhat further / higher than a human, but probably not a hugely significant amount--two or three more feet at most. Furthermore, I think this technique would rarely be used in combat. When you're in the air, you leave yourself wide open and have no maneuverablilty. That only really works if (1) they don't see you coming (i.e. ambush), (2) they are too surprised to react, or (3) they are immobile for some reason. It's usually much more effective to stay on the ground where you are stable and your attacks can have power behind them.

-- Vilkacis
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vilkacis wrote: and your attacks can have power behind them.

-- Vilkacis
I would imagine gravity would give a good deal of power to a aerial attack.

If a Werewolf jumps and kicks you the face, well.... :P
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Aki wrote:
Vilkacis wrote: and your attacks can have power behind them.

-- Vilkacis
I would imagine gravity would give a good deal of power to a aerial attack.
If you're attacking from above and your attack is directed downward, it would lend a small amount of power. However, your mass and especially the speed of your attack would be the determining factors, not really gravity. Since you are airborne, you have nothing to push off of except yourself, meaning your attacks are extremely weak unless your whole motion is behind them in a directed attack. However the motion of such a directed attack cannot be changed (by you) in mid-air.
Aki wrote:If a Werewolf jumps and kicks you the face, well.... :P
I imagine it would hurt, but I don't think it would do significantly more damage than, say, a competent human doing the same, excepting that a werewolf has claws. That's not to say that it wouldn't knock you out, regardless. But let's go ahead and say that the airborne kick would do more damage than a ground-based one. I still maintain that it's very easy for the opponent to either dodge or block and furthermore, it would just as easy to do so and then follow it up with a counterattack, which you likely wouldn't be able to block. Even if you did manage to block it somehow, it would seriously throw you off-balance, leaving you wide open when you try (and likely fail) to land. Of course, this is all assuming a competent and experienced opponent.

-- Vilkacis
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I imagine, due to the digitigrade nature of the legs, that a werewolf would likely be able to jump somewhat further / higher than a human, but probably not a hugely significant amount--two or three more feet at most. Furthermore, I think this technique would rarely be used in combat. When you're in the air, you leave yourself wide open and have no maneuverablilty. That only really works if (1) they don't see you coming (i.e. ambush), (2) they are too surprised to react, or (3) they are immobile for some reason. It's usually much more effective to stay on the ground where you are stable and your attacks can have power behind them.
I'd agree with the digitigrade legs you arnt jumping high etheir. And that jumping do high I only just an't see but you would be very vulnerable to attack. I may see wolves jumping on each other but they don't jump way high in the air and then down to attack. They just jump strait forward.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Keep in mind they would most likely be able to jump pretty high- i myself can j8ump a foot in the air-not much,, but add in the wwolf multiplier, and it's alot...
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Vuldari wrote:..."garou"?..."Fetich"?...Image

...WTF are you talking about?! Whatever Novel, RP or whatever universe those terms came from, they are not the all encompassing rules and truths of what a werewolf is. ...and yet they are valid as well. ...just not to THIS film. When you are using references from other Werewolf incarnations, try to keep in mind that, however popular it may be, it is only ONE VERSION of werewolves, and not THE "indisputable, universally accepted", facts.

I'm sure the werewolves you are referring too are cool and all, but I, as a Werewolf Fan, along with many other members of "The Pack', don't, "...all know that a garou can create a fetich...".

...now that I have that off my chest... Werewolves being able to create mystical objects? Those must be some powerful werewolves. Image
I think the reference here is to Werewolf: the Apocalypse. And a misspelled fetish :wink:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, I think that, biting, clawing and pounding would be the type of fighting most werewolves would rely on, not because it's wired into thier brain, but rather because any hunting a werewolf would do would encourage such things. After all you can't exactly use Kung-Fu on a moose.

Now, there isn't anything keeping a werewolf from using a slightly adapted version of martial arts, but unless you have two werewolf martial artists in the same pack that love to spar, I kinda doubt it would happen. I cannot imagine that there would be enough opperatunities to practice otherwise.
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Everyone's pretty much said what I'm thinking - biting, clawing, kicking, punching, etc. And obviously if the werewolf knows martial arts he/she has the liberty to use them (imagine a spinning kick that not only winds you, but slashes your stomach too. oucha!)

Perhaps biting would be a secondary and/or finishing technique. It would require one's head/face to be close to the opponent's body, and therefore is at a risk of getting damaged. So punching, kicking, and slashing are the primary methods of duking it out, but if something happens such as you get in a headlock/limbs trapped by your opponent, the werewolf has its teeth to use for escape. And if he/she has their opponent pinned with all limbs, their jaws can be used for a finishing move.
*chomp*"rrrr..rrRRRIIIP!"*splatter*
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

I dont know about punching. werewolves woulf fight like a wolf. clawing, ripping, ect...
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Since Werewolves, at least in a half wolf form, have both human and wolf physical attributes, things like punching becomes possible, and there are situations where punching is preferable to clawing.
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary

Why would they want to fight in there half wolf form when they have more power as full wolf

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:I dont know about punching. werewolves woulf fight like a wolf. clawing, ripping, ect...
lashing the tail!!! No wait...wrong movie.

This movie needs wereiguanas. :wink:
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary

Well I would want to ight on all 4's if its all the same.

hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by hydrocarbon »

WolvenOne wrote:Since Werewolves, at least in a half wolf form, have both human and wolf physical attributes, things like punching becomes possible, and there are situations where punching is preferable to clawing.
My point exactly :D You have a being that is roughly half-human, half-wolf, with assumably human intelligence. They have arms, unlike wolves (who have forelegs), with hands (fingers and opposable thumbs, therefore they can make a fist). Punches can break bones, messily too, which could well inflict more damage than clawing. I'd rather use my arms and legs than my jaws ;)
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by hydrocarbon »

Figarou wrote: This movie needs wereiguanas. :wink:
You're making me think of the baby Godzillas in the US version. Eeee! :)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

iolarnula wrote:
Figarou wrote: This movie needs wereiguanas. :wink:
You're making me think of the baby Godzillas in the US version. Eeee! :)

I enjoyed the US version. It has a good sound track for showing off a home theater.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I should also note, fighting four legged in a half wolf form, probably not the best of ideas. If the person you're fighting is standing on two legs you would have a more difficult time getting at the vital areas.

Now hunting and stalking are different beasts of course, but I'm not gonna go into it.
IblisPendragon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ekte norsk varulv

Post by IblisPendragon »

If the werewolf's intention is killing then they should simply hamstring their opponent and then tear their throats out..I can't really picture a werewolf doing martial arts, that would just be stupid. They're beasts, they're superior to humans and don't need fancy fighting techniques..headbutting,flinging people about and bashing would suffice I suppose...
.? That is the problem with you mortals, you die too easily. You hardly fight back. A couple of pitiful screams and a little squirming and you are done. I can hardly call it satisfactory."

What's the point? They got their Keanu Reeves now...
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary

Post by hydrocarbon »

True, but their opponent is probably not going to stand there and let the werewolf rip the back of his/her leg out. I know I wouldn't ;) Therefore there would be a fair amount of fighting one each others' part to try and get to their weak points.

But I think the idea that these filmmakers are going for here is that the midform werewolf is not just a beast, but has human-level intelligence (I think). Therefore it could choose to fight like a human (whether or not they are a martial artist, bar-room brawler, limb-flailer, or whatever), like a wolf, or a combination of both.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Your father wanted you to have this...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Mortal Kombat / Street Fighter / Soul Caliber / 10^9 other video games:

Martial arts are skills and systems that are developed and evolved over time. In order for werewolves to develop fighting styles, there would have to be a werewolf society that spent time inventing the thing. Or, at least one good individual who already knew fighting techniques.

But, if you've got a well-organized society, it's conceivable. White Wolf's Werewolf: the Apocalypse in fact already postulated it, with "Kalindo," a style of fighting designed to work with shape-shifting. (It also made a bunch of cards for the Rage game that weren't very useful.) I suspect that because White Wolf created it, some people will insist on avoiding it, while others will quietly re-invent Kalindo but call it something else and insist it has nothing to do with White Wolf.

Clawing:

Clawing as an attack mode is an extrapolation, since neither humans nor wolves have a significant claw-based attack. But, it's a plausible one for a Gestalt-form werewolf, though the razor-sharp claws of some monster movies is very over-the-top. A clawed hand can do a raking attack, whereas a hand without claws or no hands doesn't lend so well. Because it's a new feature that emerges from the wolf / human fusion, it might be one of the first things that comes up in the invention of a werewolf fighting style.

If werewolves are few and far between, it's unlikely that werewolf combat styles would be much more than things invented on the fly. It's only in societies where packs are large enough to relay information not only to each other but to other packs that knowledge would pass on.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Your father wanted you to have this...

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:But, if you've got a well-organized society, it's conceivable. White Wolf's Werewolf: the Apocalypse in fact already postulated it, with "Kalindo," a style of fighting designed to work with shape-shifting. (It also made a bunch of cards for the Rage game that weren't very useful.) I suspect that because White Wolf created it, some people will insist on avoiding it, while others will quietly re-invent Kalindo but call it something else and insist it has nothing to do with White Wolf.

I completly forgot about Kalindo. That would be something cool to see. But I rather stay away from that stuff. simple clawing, biting, riping and tearing is good enough for me.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:Why would they want to fight in there half wolf form when they have more power as full wolf
I find the Gestalt (Hybrid form of wolf and man) to be the strongest. It draws on the strength, speed, endurance and senses of a Wolf, combining it with the Human's advantages, Intellect and thumbs, allowing for some vicious, inventive, and downright bloody fighting.

A Wolf form, fights like a Wolf, but with human intellect, which can be both good and bad. A true Wolf would move with completely naturalness in the Wolf form, a werewolf less so, while Gestalt keeps some common ground, the Wolf form is totally alien, it'd be awhile before most Werewolves are well versed with it.

Furthermore, as history has shown, Wolves aren't much of a match against a human with a gun. :(

Plus, Gestalt, being the form that everyone recognizes as a werewolf, it'll scare the piss out of any human, or at least make them stare a few seconds in disbelief before acting.

Phycological warfare is a powerful ally. :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote: Plus, Gestalt, being the form that everyone recognizes as a werewolf, it'll scare the piss out of any human, or at least make them stare a few seconds in disbelief before acting.

Human-- *gasp* a werewolf!! *stares*

Figarou-- "And what are you staring at?" *tosses duckie at human* :ducktoss2:

Aki-- "Have you been putting those duckies in your mouth again?"

Figarou--"Oops, Saw wees" :oops:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Hehe :lol:

Infection via duckie, how sinister! :evil: