Tertiary projects

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Baphnedia

Tertiary projects

Post by Baphnedia »

I've been thinking about various things that PACK members can help each other with, whether from a stance of having fun, or helping each other in other ways.

Collaborative projects?

The PACK is more than for just a movie, I think, though we all will probably present things that we're working on, that could include pack member involvement.

As far as myself, I'll post in the Classifieds section once any one of my back-burner projects are ready for more than one-man operations. What are your thoughts?

Collaboration could include anything ranging from

Art - music - literature (canon/non-canon fanfics?) - information books - websites - gaming - sequels? to name a few. Do you have any projects that you need help with?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Buying a timeshare in my universe

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm intreagued by the idea.

I've been at work on my own saga storyline, and I've been contemplating ways of tapping into additional creative power in order to get this extensive timeline written down.

Similarly, I might as time and space permits be able to donate creative effort on some other projects.

Or, perhaps the proposal is to start a new project, such as a shared storyline or world setting.

Certainly, once Freeborn comes out, I'm sure at least one or two of us will be generating fanfic. (Just be sure to follow the copyright rules. Some companies welcome fanfic of their works, and some go so far as to publish it. Others are very propriatary and copyright-happy.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

You'll have to give me the URL to the fanfic if you guys decide to right it.

This may or may not relate to anything but, I've been having trouble trying to get past the Begger's Nest level in Neverwinter Nights. Anyone have some tips that might help? According to the online help I've gotten so far, I'm suppose to fight the "boss" now. Problem is, I can't find it.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Sounds like a good idea :D I'd certinly would be willing to help out :howl:  :oo

Re: Buying a timeshare in my universe

Post by Guest »

Scott Gardener wrote:I'm intreagued by the idea.

I've been at work on my own saga storyline, and I've been contemplating ways of tapping into additional creative power in order to get this extensive timeline written down.

Similarly, I might as time and space permits be able to donate creative effort on some other projects.

Or, perhaps the proposal is to start a new project, such as a shared storyline or world setting.
Likewise. I have my own work of fiction in the works -- one that I hope will be the first in a massive series, so while I'd rather keep the plot between the characters to myself, I'd more than welcome critique and comment on the setting in which it takes place (it could potentially be a shared world setting). And, by the same token, I'd be just as willing to offer critique to anyone looking for it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Er... That was me up there. *blushes*
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: I Bite, You've Been Warned ^_^

Post by silverpaw »

i love writing my own stuff but recently my project was wiped of my comp along with ...everything music photos :cry: and so now all my drafts stories bettas all gone and i generally have trouble following through with a storyline...im 14 so i guess im an ametuer but most people who have read my stories say its extremely good 8) so if anyone could gimme some tips or something help would be apprieciated.
and if for some reason you need help with watevr your doing i may be able to help so pipe up :lol: :lol:
one of my goals in life is to finish one book and possible publish it :oops: then see how it goes from there hwlwnk

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

silverpaw wrote:i love writing my own stuff but recently my project was wiped of my comp along with ...everything music photos :cry: and so now all my drafts stories bettas all gone and i generally have trouble following through with a storyline...im 14 so i guess im an ametuer but most people who have read my stories say its extremely good 8) so if anyone could gimme some tips or something help would be apprieciated.
and if for some reason you need help with watevr your doing i may be able to help so pipe up :lol: :lol:
one of my goals in life is to finish one book and possible publish it :oops: then see how it goes from there hwlwnk
That's actually the same age I started writing (or at least the age that I started writing seriously -- God help me if my fanfics ever come back from the grave). The best advice I could give would be to keep writing if only for the sake of writing, and above all else, DO NOT AIM TO PUBLISH; try to write a story you want to tell instead of one that you want to sell.

Another thing I would caution you is that you shouldn't feel compelled to continue a story you're starting to dislike. I went through six different novels in seven years before I finally came up with a concept I have faith in six months after it had begun. If you finish it and still think it's fantastic: great. And if you finish it, read it over again and are disappointed: that was just practice -- now for the real novel! :D
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

hehehe yeah ive written lots of promising starts but just after 13 pages i just lose it and it seems to much like a deltora queest ripp and its so damn hard thinking of an origan concept for a book almist evry idea has been used, but i always think of more :lol: :lol:

im not aiming to sell just if its goof probly get it publish if it great see if ya can make it a movie 8) myself i aint in it for the money, i hate money it proves most humanes for what they are weak pathetic and greedy,driven by money

Sorry about that just explaining not flaming :P just my views no offence to anyone

Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

So maybe you should just start writing 13-page stories? :D

:duckie
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Hey, that's cool. And don't worry, I feel the same way. I don't particularly care how much money I make when I finally publish, just as long as it's enough for me to live off of while I'm writing my next.

And yeah, it's tough coming up with something original. The key, I find, is to start by designing the setting and going into as much detail as possible. In the case of what I'm writing, for example, I already know there's someone out there writing about a time in the future when zombies rule the planet (and not only do I know about Xombie, I'm a big fan too!) but I doubt there are many people out there writing about how a nation of lycanthropes is thriving (or trying to) in the dead center of the mayhem. It's okay to start off with a concept that people are already familiar with, just so long as the plot, characters and details are your own.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

Yeah thanks for the tips i just want that if i ever publish something it is completelu unique aand unheard of ...maybe if i tried hard i could make my own univers and races...god like playing god on paper :cry: :lol: i mean stuff like eragon is a gpopular idea a boy and a gragon but the auther made so amazing a esquisive that it was complpetl unique unlike any other ( i appsolutly loved it) hmmm i huess i will have to start small theres just so many ideas i get i just cant seem to harness the storyline and characters and worlds by the time i get to paper or my laptop i gu8ess writing and reading are another of my passions :D

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

*Nod-nods* Mm. Storyline's another thing I always have trouble coming up with too. What I find helps is that, rather than try to pull one out from under my tail, if I spend enough time going into the details of my new world's history and society, eventually I start having to name historical figures. What I figure is that all the writing about history and society I do will describe the way I want my setting to be at the end, then I can look over the timeline and pick a historical figure or significant event (often both) that sound like they're worth writing about. After that, I pretty much do the same thing to that character that I did to the setting -- I detail and timeline him/her, which inevitably leads to the creation of more characters, the most significant of which I do the same to.

One cool thing about being the author is that you're permitted to know so much more than your readers. Not everything you write needs to appear in the final edition -- sometimes you just need it as a reference to better understand your setting, characters, etc. (I've timelined a thousand years of history for my setting, but my readers are only going to hear about six or seven). I find that, in the ideal situation, your setting and characters are detailed enough that you feel less like you're dictating what happens and more like you're recording it as it happens. I'm serious: If you describe them well enough, all you need to do is start up the plot and the majority of the rest will come naturally.
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

wow that sounds confusing and fun :lol: i will try and attempt this new method of writing and hopefully it might work out for me. how long have you been writing and how old are you? im only 14 so i kinda have limited sourcesI(cant acces library etc but i have internet :o )

Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Writing is fun - I must say that I need to get back to it (on Nephy'l Heritage). As far as collaborative projects, I don't feel that they are limited to the Classifieds section, but I'll start there on plugging for my own projects/activites.

I think writer's block is something that will be hard to get with such creative personalities such as those around here. Speaking of, I'm off to go write some fiction.

[EDIT] I'll not use the Classifieds, but post what I'm looking for help on in a better-suited part of the forum.[/EDIT]

The only limitations to your writing are the ones you see. Free your mind. Uh...Freeborn!
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
silverpaw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by silverpaw »

kool thanks for the intresting reply yes writing is fun, i sometimes write fuction about how i feel trapped (dont ask) or other things that happen to me but just Add pepper and salt and add an intresting plot walla recipe for succsess , oh yeah currently i just randomly started writing something that seems ok although its like a kid stuck with his new family crazy uncle step dad nut case step bro guy :lol: and so yeah hopefully i can get an intresting plot if i add some kind of horror plot to why everyones all sscrewed up and well ya get the point...
Woot long live authers 8) and stuff...that is intresting :lol:

damn i hate writers block i like have everything but cant put it in order and word it right :( darn :P oh well i will stick to it.

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:*Nod-nods* Mm. Storyline's another thing I always have trouble coming up with too. What I find helps is that, rather than try to pull one out from under my tail, if I spend enough time going into the details of my new world's history and society, eventually I start having to name historical figures. What I figure is that all the writing about history and society I do will describe the way I want my setting to be at the end, then I can look over the timeline and pick a historical figure or significant event (often both) that sound like they're worth writing about. After that, I pretty much do the same thing to that character that I did to the setting -- I detail and timeline him/her, which inevitably leads to the creation of more characters, the most significant of which I do the same to.

One cool thing about being the author is that you're permitted to know so much more than your readers. Not everything you write needs to appear in the final edition -- sometimes you just need it as a reference to better understand your setting, characters, etc. (I've timelined a thousand years of history for my setting, but my readers are only going to hear about six or seven). I find that, in the ideal situation, your setting and characters are detailed enough that you feel less like you're dictating what happens and more like you're recording it as it happens. I'm serious: If you describe them well enough, all you need to do is start up the plot and the majority of the rest will come naturally.
That is pretty much how I have allways approached all of my writing attempts. The trouble is, after outlining 1000 years of history in my own universe, and creating dozens of exiting figures that existed througout all of that time, I never seem to get around to actually writing the story. I set up enough material to base an entire series on, but then I can't decide where to start. ...plus, since the pre-production often takes me weeks or months to put together. (One project I worked on for over two years developing the backstory, only to get tired of the entire universe before getting around to writing a novel, or even a short story about it.)

Every time I start a project and give up on it, I usually get at least one exeptional character or setting out of the effort...which I set aside in the back of my mind to be-reborn in the next story. I've gathered such a bizzare and colorful pool of inspiration, that now I think I could create a masterpiece if I could just devise a way to put them all together in one outragious adventure.
...That's the plan anyway. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

*drool* if ANYONE...wants to collab with me on a story....I would jump on the idea. I would love writing with another person. 2 minds means double the creativity....and it is really really fun. *pokes Scott*
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Please wait while I create the universe...

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'd suggest having a storys section, but there's already a billion other sites out there with similar. (A good one might be on Goldenwolf's Moonsong.) If we wanted a Pack-affiliated site, we could start by a "storys" thread, with individual links to private sites for actual content, especially larger works.

My own world setting is currently panelled on a low-traffic EZBoard BBS, Through the Millennia. There I've got several story settings that overlap to varying degrees in a unified grouping of worlds. Most of the traffic so far has been my own mulling and contemplations--a sort of blog in BBS format. I've had visits from friends, including two prior major collaborators through the late eighties and early nineties, checking in on followup work. You're welcome to jump in. If I start getting more traffic, I'll be able to be more interactive, answering questions and knowing what stuff to explain.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I like writing too. Mainly its all about my little fantasy land. Currently I've been working on for quite a time is Pooftail the Hyena. (name suggestions are welcome! :lol: ) Who over hears an elders story about a star at a clan meeting. At night she sees a bright light and chases it beleiving its a star but its reall a jeep, she gets ran over and is kept by humans for quite a time. Ah I'm still working on a whole storyline.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

cha, i will so draw fan work!
It's a shame an entire family can be torn up by something as simple as wild dogs.