Hidden Things

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
CrypticIdentity
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Hidden Things

Post by CrypticIdentity »

In X-Men, there were tons of X's. In The Sixth Sense, it was the color red. What if, in "Freeborn," the Pack's symbol was inserted in places were most people could care less--say, a tatoo on a guys arm, or a billboard in the background, or even in the sky with a cloud formation. I just think it would be cool to see if you could spot all the places where they use it, sorta like how you guys said you were going to fit the word "duckies" into the script somehow, if I'm not mistaken.

If this is the wrong place for this, sorry :oops: .
If I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see...
Said if I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see!
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

While I really like the idea, it needs to be done very well or it it's better off left out. If you ask me, it should be really subtle (things that a grand majority of people wouldn't even notice, like the red in Sixth Sense) and most of all, its appearance should make sense in the given context. A logical policy really helps as well (i.e. such and such will always appear when this or that happens).

Anyway, I think it would be difficult to pull this off with the Pack's symbol, as it is rather distinctive and it doesn't make sense that it would be seen in a lot of places.

Unfortunately, this type of thing seems to be something you need to plan for from the very beginning.

-- Vilkacis
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:lol: Well, i figured, if there was a scene where the was a guy cornered by a WW, and he was throwing things at it, he could desprately throw a rubber duckie, as he's throwing every hthing. and a fish.
bluephoenix
Legendary
Legendary

Post by bluephoenix »

i think it's a pretty cool idea. i like the tattoo thing. like if someone has this huge tribal tattoo and in certain places the pack sign is on it. or maybe like a shadow on a wall cast by the moon. it would have to come from something inconspicouse, like a tree or something, and should probably only be on for a second. but that is a really cool idea.

just a little add-in for star wars fans: george lucas makes an appearance in episode 3 in the theatre scene. he is standing by the door and he has blue skin. "hehehe. your funny."
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

You could possible get away with using it as a "brand label" for something. Pepsi and other big companies will pay big bucks to have their food products shown, label showing.

Its a hidden thing that most people don't see all the time, primariyll because they see the 'brand name' in everyday life. In Film, its "advertising". Primialy because FIlms have to get permissions to videotape anything that is trademarked, like brand-name products. ;)

Watch a film, see how often you can pick out Brand-name advertising.

Shoes, clothes, food, even billboards in teh BG. If movie folks film somethign that has a Brand in it, and hasn't asked permission, they can get sued. So they have to be very careful.

So when it does show up, 90% of the time its done on purpose.

This idea can be used with the Pack symbol ( on packwere. ;) heh ). Like a tee-shirt tag. When the actor holds up the t-shirt, the tag could have the pack symbol on it, nothing else.

There could be an in-movie company that produces tons of stuff besides clothing. *shrugs* Unless that's abit bigger of a step then needed. :)

Having the symbol hidden in a tattoo is a great idea. Of have some character "doodling" a moon with little squggle beams coming out, opposite direction of how it looks now. :)

it has to be subtle, agreed. Very subtle.

Shadows could work if done right. Like having a charcter squating in a tree, with the mon trhowing shodaws of teh main tree branch, teh character ( circle ) and some telephone wires, of over-hang behind the tree. :) muahaha. It would not be 'perfect' but that's the point.

Abother trick that used in old movies is the use of a single frame of film. border by single frames of black. It 'flashes' so fast that 80% of the popuation ( or so ) don't see it. Excelletn example of this is in the Excorcist. ( I watched it with my Psych class ).

*grins*
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

Well, i figured, if there was a scene where the was a guy cornered by a WW, and he was throwing things at it, he could desprately throw a rubber duckie, as he's throwing every hthing. and a fish.
don't forget the rubber chicken :lol:
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I like the idea of having hidden pack symbols in the movie, but I would like duckies more.
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

Maybe the Pack symbol should be a logo of some corporation on a passing truck or something like that? Goes by fast, but anyone who has been here recognizes it.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Maybe there could be a group of persons talking about werewolves and one of them wears the necklace with the pack-logo? Or one of the characters in the movie sees for a very short moment someone wearing the necklace?
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Well, in Red Victoria, Carl wears his necklace often, so that's there, bgut wht not just having a few ducks, live ones, on a pont as one fo the werewolves walks by? perhaps at night...?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Now that's horror...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Well aware that inside jokes generally need to be subtle...

Will there be any Red Victoria references in Freeborn? Or, Freeborn references in Red Victoria? (Of course, the Pack logo is kind of a reference.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well. . . I know Carl from Red Victoria wears a Pack pendant (which had to be pointed out to me before I recognized it). The thing about hidden elements is that the more you use them, the less hidden they become.

Hmm. . . Probably not related, but this reminded me of something I said when I first saw clips of Disney's The Wild (a blatant Madagascar ripoff:
Terastas wrote:If I ever work for Disney, all of my hidden Mickies will be with pentagrams.
:lol:

You could also approach it the same way Pixar does with their films: they constantly include props and background decorations that reference previous movies. Like in Monsters Inc., when Boo takes Sulley into her room and starts handing him toys, she hands him a Jessie doll (Toy Story 2), a toy ball (the same one from Luxo Jr.), and a squeaky Marlin toy (Finding Nemo).

*shrugs* Maybe Jack or one of the other characters could have a khopesh or Carl's LARPer toys mounted on his wall. :grinp:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've noticed the Pixar inside jokes, and loved each one. Here's a few more I noticed:

In Toy Story 2, we see a display rack of toys from A Bug's Life get knocked over. Also, the expert toy repair guy called in to restore Woody's torn arm is the same character that appeared in a film short shown in theaters before A Bug's Life--a quirky old man who plays chess against himself. In one of the drawers of his toy restoration box, you see chess pieces.

Several "blooper reels" in A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., and Toy Story 2 reference other Pixar movies.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

lets make it more like real life. let them fart and make then joke about it when thay are making out. :lol:
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

hidden items in movies are always interesting and made so they aren't noticed (or at least not immedately) and are generally alot less noticible than product placement in the movie.

One hidden item could be as having a small kid throw a rubber duckie at a character you later to find out to be a WW in the background while the camera is focused on people talking in the foregound.

someone walks by a store that has the Pack symbol on the wall.

Someone could use one of those duckie USB flashdrives
http://dynamism.com/iduck/
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ronkonkoma wrote:
Someone could use one of those duckie USB flashdrives
http://dynamism.com/iduck/

Don't let Lupin see that.

:jester:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Too late. I've seen it somewhere else already.

Plus I already have a flash drive.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Too late. I've seen it somewhere else already.

Plus I already have a flash drive.
I know. But the one you already have is taking quite a beating.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Doesn't really matter, it still works fine.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image