Epicurean Wolf (Recipes Go Here)

Cooking recipes, and various other food related stuffs. Hey, a wolf's gotta eat.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Epicurean Wolf (Recipes Go Here)

Post by vrikasatma »

Got an idea from a private message exchange: We should have a topic where we can post recipes!

So here we go. I'll post the recipes for my recently-made Thai Chicken and Buffalo Barley soups:

Buffalo Barley
Makes about two gallons or 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 hours
Actual Working time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1/2 c. French onion broth in the steri-pak
1.2 c. Trader Joe's ginger soy broth
A few grinds from the pepper mill
1t sea salt
1/2 pound mushrooms, cut in halves
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
1 grilled red pepper cut in thin strips
2 shallot cloves, peeled, cut in half and the petals plucked and dropped in
1lb. buffalo stew meat
1t black cherry balsamic vinegar
1/2 c pinot noir
1 c. pearl barley

Method:

Put all ingredients in the crock.

Set the slow cooker on low and go do something else for a couple hours.

Come back, stir, walk away again. Repeat every 1.5-2 hours. Soup is done when the vegetables are tender.

Thai Chicken
Makes 2 gallons or 10 servings
Prep Time: 5.5 hours
Actual Work Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1/2 cup low-fat chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon grass
2 teaspoons Hawai'ian pink salt
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
5 basil leaves, torn into smallish bits
1 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 chicken thighs with the skin and bone intact, plus three thigh skins,
Pinch of curry

Method
Mix all ingredients in the crock, set to High and walk away for a few hours.

Come back, stir, take the chicken pieces out and strip the meat from the bones.

Remove the skins, reserve, and you can make broth with them tomorrow. Put the chicken meat back in the pot and simmer for three more hours, for a total of 5-6 hours.
ImageImageImageImage
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I got your post as a PM, and have already made the Thai Chicken Soup. It's excellent!
I also tried a little Cocoanut milk in a bowlful of soup: Tom Yum!

It's important to note that by using a slow cooker, you keep more flavor in the food. Why? Because cooking at higher temperatures actually vaporizes the flavor right out of the cookpot! Besides; slow cookers are so handy: Ignore the food, and get a superb meal!

I'm going to try that Buffalo Barley with some Venison, since there is no place where I can get Buffalo meat around here. Being Kalifornia, it's probably illegal....
Anyway, consider this to be a definite High-Five for your recipes; they are both excellent.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

This isn't my recipe by the way. But This got me eating liver for the first time. It's seriously chummy. :D

The Best Liver and Bacon

Serves 4

Ingredients

12 rashers smokey bacon
olive oil
Small handful fresh sage leaves
600g/1lb 6oz calves or lambs liver, trimmed of sinews and cut into strips
flour(to dust)
2 med onions, finely sliced
sea salt & fresh ground black pepper 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 heaped tablespoons butter

Method

Cook your bacon in a nice hot pan until crispy both sides. put onto a plate to one side.

Add a little olive oil to the bacon fat left in the pan and cook your sage leaves for about 30 secs, when crispy they give the most fantastic flavour and texture. put them to one side with the bacon.

Dust liver with flour(both sides) shaking off any excess. Put to one side.

Add the onions to the pan with a good pinch of salt, cook until they've softened and put to one side. add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan and once again get it nice and hot.
Now add your liver to the pan and cook in 2 batches over a really high heat for about a minute each side, to caramelise and seal in the flavour. Don't over cook it as it's nicer if left alittle pink.

Now put the bacon, onion and sage back into the pan, with all the liver, butter and vinegar. It'll sizzle and spit, becoming creamy and saucey. Season to taste and serve on a bed of buttery mashed potato mixed with grated fresh horseradish and some double cream to make it nice and oozy!!! lck
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Im gonna be -really really really- lazy and post my recipes topic here.

http://www.thepacksden.com/thepackboard ... php?t=4142

This way, I don't have to copy them all out!! :D But, I will post one here as a starters, Ill copy and paste it. Mine are vegetarian but you can add meat.

For the fried rice, we all know how to make fried rice but I put it anyway and I make my own sauce! :D

--------------

Fried Rice

You will need:

- Long grain rice (Two cups feeds about 6 people, I think, and one cup is sufficient for about three meals).
- Three cups of water for two cups of rice, or one and a half cups for one cup. RATIO: One cup rice to one and a half water. (For microwave not pot!!!).
- Frozen vegetables, or cut up fresh ones, (cooked), you can add mushrooms, capsicum even, or whatever of your choice.
- Optional: meat. I have zero clue how to cook it but it's added to the rice later if you eat meat. Also prawns.
- Olive oil (Cover the pan or wok)
- Onion (About half, or one small)
- Garlic (One teaspoon is plenty!)
- Corn kernals and peas (Just because they are great!)
- Egg is optional also. You need to fry it, or scramble it, and then add it once you've almost finished stir frying your rice and veggies.

Sauce: (This is just what I add. You can change it).

-Tomato sauce
- Sweet n sour sauce (If you're a vegetarian like me, get one that has no fish oil added)
- White pepper
- Black pepper
- Soy sauce
- Chili sauce

My method:

1) Put the rice in the microwave or pot. Read the instructions for your microwave as they are all different. I put two cups of rice to three cups of water. Screwing with the ratio is sometimes a disaster. I always put a little extra water. If using a microwave, put a plate at the bottom, some containers leak like mad! This saves cleaning the microwave later.

For times: As I said above, read microwave instructions. Mine is approx 18-20 min for two cups on high.

2) Once the rice is done, microwave the frozen veggies unless you like to stir fry them firm and frozen. I like to cook mine first. I'm always in a hurry to eat!

3) While the veggies are cooking!! Dice the onion (Approx half, or one small onion). Put the pan (or wok, I use a huge pan I haven't got a wok). Put olive oil in it and then heat a little. Put the onion (Not too hot or the stuff will spit and hiss and burn) in with the garlic and make sure the onion is slightly transparent. I like to add corn kernals at this stage and mix them around on really low heat. Then take it all off the heat until your veggies are done!

4) Add your vegetables and rice. Add the cooked, then add the other fresh veggies...and er fungi... if you have any (Like mushrooms and more tinned corn kernals, or any tinned vegetables etc). Stir fry it, and while mixing, add soy sauce, it makes it easier, for me anyway. (Because rice clumps together!)

5) If you want to add egg, it has to be cooked before hand. Add it to the stir fry.

6) You can also stir fry meat with it. My mother adds meat to hers after, not while stir frying, but it's up to you. Tofu can also be added but I've never done this.

7) Now for the sauce part. This is fun, you just add what the hell you want. Soy sauce should have been added in parts beforehand, but add more if you want. I put generous amounts of each in (Tomato and sweet n sour sauce), but I go easy on the chili because only my dad and I really like too much. Put the peppers in.

Now make sure it's nice and hot and cooked through and test it every now and then. If it tastes nice, well, it's ready to serve!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Bit of trivia here: Don't leave wooden spoons, etc. in what you're cooking.
The wood absorbs flavors, then releases it when you don't want it to.

If you want to cut meat re-e-eally thin, put it in the freezer until it's almost frozen; about like stiff putty. It slices so very easily then.

If something liquid is too salty, put in a peeled potato that's soaked in three changes of water for about twenty minutes. Remove before it's cooked. It sucks the salt right out.

Canola oil lubricates all things cooking, like tongs, scissors, clamp-on handles and suchlike. Warming the item will draw the oil inside it. It's also great for keeping cast iron and non-stainless steel from getting rusty in storage. You can also use it on tight lids and jars that are hard to open, to keep the threads from sticking shut.

And: a dull knife is the most dangerous tool in the kitchen, because you can't control it.
RedEye

OK...Here I go...

Post by RedEye »

Beef Tartare, how I make it.

Starters: You need at least two pounds of the leanest clear beef you can get, and it needs to be fresh; Kosher beef is best. Don't even think aged beef!
You'll also need two very sharp knives, a paring knife and a larger and longer butcher knife as well.
Wash your hands and the surface you'll be cutting on: understand that any contamination in the preparation will make you sick!

Take the beef and start on one edge,
cutting quarter inch strips across the grain of the meat- you want to cut across the muscle fibers, not along them.
Use the big knife for this, and try to keep the
strips as regular and even as you can.
Once you have all the beef in these quarter-inch strips,
start using the paring knife to remove any fat or tendons,
veins, or other non-edible stuff. You will likely wind up with
lean beef in different lengths and lots of scraps
that you won't be eating (save them for soup).

Once you have cleared the beef of anything not lean
muscle meat, start cutting the strips into Julienne sized
pieces about one inch long. Think skinny french fries as a reference.

Now, they are all 1/4" by 1/4" by 1" pieces, or smaller.
You'll probably have a little more than half the meat you started with,
so, add one quarter teaspoon of salt per pound and work it through
the meat. Be quick, or the salt will clump! Next, add
one teaspoon of chopped parsley per pound (dried is fine) and add
the same amount of minced onions (dried is fine) and massage all the stuff through the mixture.
(Optional: a little extra-virgin olive oil-very little!)
Let it sit for fifteen minutes ( resting improves the flavor)
then serve with a salad or rice.

Optional-for the next time: Put it in a plastic baggie,
and let it sit in warm water for twenty minutes or so;
you'll know when by the amount of blood in the baggie.
Serve, blood and all.
You can also add a light wine (red!) or Worcestershire sauce,
or a bit of finely grated garlic.

Note: This is NOT a dish for the squeamish! You are eating
raw meat, and if anything tastes "off"--STOP! Cleanliness is
an absolute, here- as are the sharp knives. Ask your butcher to sharpen them. Dull knives are the most dangerous tools in the kitchen!
A dull knife goes where it wants to, a sharp knife goes where you
want it to.
Any seasonings should be minimal, and tested beforehand.
The flavor of the raw, warm flesh is unlike anything
else; delicate and sweet.
Remember, since there is no cooking involved, you must
be super careful: Food Poisoning is possible with this dish!

Only do this with Beef or Veal. Never do this with Pork: the
risk of parasites is still real, and; to quote the book; "Raw pork is forbidden you, lest you crave the taste of the forbidden
flesh of your human brothers."
Besides: it's greasy....

Enjoy! and be careful!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Tried an experiment with popcorn tonight.

They're saying now that popcorn is good for you, contains lots of dietary fiber, and it's what you put on it that's bad. So going with the knowledge that cocoa butter is one of the LDLs that lowers cholesterol, and the knowledge that it tastes fairly good, I decided to do popcorn with cocoa butter as the oil.

Into the pan: 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter solids, 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, and 1 scant half-cup of popcorn kernels. I shook the pan over first medium, then high heat; the cocoa butter melted and started to sizzle. The kernels and butter formed a mass in the middle of the pan, and began to pop. After another twenty seconds, we had a big panful of big white fluffy popcorn, bigger pops than with vegetable oil.

I took a taste and found the pops to be nice, light, and tasting good enough to cut 'way back on the butter (I actually used Brummell & Brown). I also have something of a problem with popcorn, as much as I love it, in that it gives my stomach and intestines something of a hard time. Here it is an hour after eating the results of the experiment, and I'm doing okay. I'm going with cocoa butter for my popcorn from now on.

Next step: I'll be doing popcorn in white chocolate over a bain marie. The only stop on that is that I'm broke right now and don't have the money to go over to Market of Choice and pick up a bag of Guittard white chocolate chips. Give me a few days; I'll keep you apprised of my results.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Hint on Popcorn:
Plan ahead: If you plan on doing some Popcorn in the evening, put the kernels in the fridge, in a baggie with an apple slice.
Popcorn pops because of a steam explosion in the kernel. By putting it in the fridge with a slice of apple, you add moisture to them.
More moisture, bigger explosion, bigger kernels! And get the good stuff, it's so much better than the generic, either in kernel form or Microwave form.
Plus, I've found that if the oil is hot before adding the kernels, there are better explosions since the moisture flash-vaporizes.

And: butter? Try the shake on Butter flavor substitutes right after the corn has popped, and is still moist.

Side note: Air-Popped Popcorn, being very dry and fluffy, makes great packing material (no salt, please!)
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I usually do keep my popcorn in the fridge but I didn't know about the apple slice. I'll try that. I got Kettlecorn to compete with here :D

I'll try the hot oil (cocoa butter :wink: ) tonight. How about brown sugar for a topping and sub lemon juice for the salt? They used to tell us "lemon is the salt of sweet" in cook school.
RedEye

Poulan Diable' or Hot wings (original recipe)

Post by RedEye »

You need:
Chicken Drumettes (wings) or Breast pieces (chunks)=2 lbs.
Butter = 1 stick (Salted!)
Flour = enough to coat chicken
Milk or beer of water= to wet chicken prior to coating
Trappey's hot sauce = That was what was used, originally; not Tabasco!
Frying pan = duh! :chef:

L' assault: Preparation-
Wet the Chicken parts with whatever liquid is used: since it was invented in a Bar, I suspect Hot Wings uses Beer to moisten.
Put flour in a bag, add some moistened chicken, and shake until coated with flour. Repeat until all the Chicken parts are nice and whitish with a coat of flour and beer.
Heat in Frying pan; one stick of butter do it slowly so it doesn't burn.
Once it's nice and melted, start adding the Trappey's hopt sauce until it has turned the butter nice and red...about half a bottle. :whistle:

Toujours le' Perversion!
Now, increase the heat until the butter is just short of burning, and add chicken pieces or Drumettes. Here's the skinny: you use the Chicken to keep the butter from burning by lowering the temperature! Cook until the chicken objects are well done...be generous with the time, because you can't tell by the color- they're all red!
Take them out and drain them on a stack of paper towels.
Serve them with Ranch Dressing. Yes, they are hot! Yes, they are good!
:saiyenwolf:

I got this recipe from a bar in New York State, where it is claimed the dish was invented. According to the legend, they were out of food, and had to have something to serve (cabaret liscense). This was what the cook found in the 'Fridge...and how he cooked it.
Desperation is wonderful, ain't it? They couldn't open of they didn't have some sort of food, and the bread was a penicillin farm. :nerdwolf:

Note: the Trappey's was specifically mentioned, rather than Tabasco sauce and I can see why; Trappeys mixes with the Butter, and Tabasco doesn't. Trappey's isn't as hot either. The Ranch dressing is wht makes it so good, since it mediates the "fire" without putting it completely out.

Note: If you're using Margerine, instead of salted butter; try a little first before attempting a panfull; some Margerines don't mix well with the Hot sauce, while others let you get things too hot (temperature) for proper frying. Face it, you can practically hear your arteries load up when you eat this stuff; but you don't care- it's that good.
:lovestruck:

Note after: I tried Pizza Hut's version of Buffalo Wings; Hot Wings-
and they are quite decent, and being baked, are less of a cholesterol avalanche. Actually, I tried two orders, one after the other...I do l-u-u-uve those wings and hot sauce!
RedEye

Werewolves eat for TWO!

Post by RedEye »

A hint for Corned Beef:

Yeah, I defrosted a hunk of Corned beef left over from Saint Padraic's day. It still tastes good after freezing (some prepared meats don't)

Here's the skinny: Cook the Corned Beef to about 3/4 done, then stick it into the oven and bake it done. Why? Because it's firmer and a lot easier to cut. Dip it back in the water if it's dried out too much-and use a half cup of Cider Vinegar in the cooking water: it tenderizes and adds that hint of sharpness that Corned Beef is so famous for.

Leftovers? Take the meat and cube it up very small. Take a bag of frozen hash browns and start it cooking. Half way through, when the potatoes are warm but not crunchy yet, add in the corned beef shreds and cubes and mix. Once all that is hot, break in two eggs and mix them into the whole mess, cooking until the eggs are done.

Eat (is this direction necessary?) Add some hot sauce if you like.
You can also mix in all the extra veggies (nix the cabbage) if you want.
This is a painless easy dinner that will fill you to the belching point-and be fun doing so.
Enjoy! lck
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Re: Epicurean Wolf (Recipes Go Here)

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Re: Epicurean Wolf (Recipes Go Here)

Post by Vagrant »

These all sound so delicious, and I'm adventurous enough to want to try them. I'm clumsy and accident prone though, so I've learned that I'm really not a cook, at least, not beyond the basics.

I'd expect anything I'd cook to turn out to be a Ctrl+Alt+Chicken level disaster.

These are tempting to try though, so very tempting...